December 6, 2008

Three Minutes (1/18)

Chapter 2

Rating: R
Feedback/Comments: Most definitely welcome. Good or Bad I can take constructive criticism. I crave it actually; it makes me a better writer. LoL
Disclaimer: Everything belongs to the CW and the Creators of Smallville. But Boy what I wouldn’t do if I owned Lex and Clark. ;-)
Spoilers: Everything up to and including Freak, with a twist. Couples: Chloe/Jimmy Chloe/Clark Lana/Lex Lois/Oliver



Prologue

Three Minutes
Things that take three minutes--- Watching a YouTube video, Cooking a hardboiled egg, Getting a coffee from Starbucks. It also takes three minutes for the stick to turn pink.
It’s amazing how in three minutes, that’s .05% of an hour, and .002083% a day, such a miniscule amount of time can change a person’s life so drastically, forever.
I looked down on the bathroom sink at this stupid scrap of plastic that was basically telling me my life was officially over and tears pooled in my eyes. My footing faltered and I stumbled back a bit, catching myself on the towel rack in the corner. I lowered my self onto the closed toilet and caught my breath for a minute. Deep breathe in deep breath out.
Just breathe Chloe. Everything is going to be ok.



Chapter 1


(Chloe POV)

I could here a distant buzzing sound in the back of my mind, so I shook my head to try and clear the cobwebs and concentrated on the sound.
What is that? Ohhh my cell phone. Come on Chloe get it together.
I got up, opened the bathroom and ran to get my phone before it stopped ringing all together. I took a deep breath and flipped the phone open.

“Hello”

“Hey Chloe.”

A small smile appeared on my face. Clark could usually do that to me, I was beginning to wonder if it was one of his abilities.

“Hey Clark. What’s up?”

I could hear his pause over the phone.
Oh boy, I wasn’t gonna like this was I.

“You ok Chloe? You sound weird.”

My heart rate sped into overdrive. Oh god he couldn’t know. It’s not possible. Just play it cool Sullivan.

“Everything’s fine Clark, I’m just tired. So what’s up?”

I could here him shuffling things over the phone as I got my stuff together and through it all in my purse.

“Mom and I were wondering if you wanted to spend Thanksgiving with us. I know that you probably have plans with Jimmy this year and everything but it would really mean…”

I cut him off.

“Clark...”

Trying to get his attention. I had to repeat myself.

“Clark I’d love to have Thanksgiving with you guys that’d be great.”

“Ok good.”

I dropped my bag on the floor, which proceeded to knock into a leftover coffee mug and smashed it into pieces. I groaned.
This day was not going well at all.

“Everything ok over their Chloe?”

Oh yea everything’s great I cant find my keys, I dropped my favorite coffee mug, oh yea and I just found out there’s going to be a Chloe Jr. running around sometime in the near future. I’m just peachy!

“Yea Clark everything’s just great.”

He must have sensed my sarcasm cause his next words were full of concern.

“Are you sure everything is ok Chloe? You sound kind of stressed. Are you really that tired? Is this about what happened last week?”

“No...I just...”

Should I tell him? No I can’t the first person that should know this news is Jimmy. I mean after all he’s going to be a daddy.

“I just can’t find my keys and I’m gonna be late for..”

but before I could even finish my sentence there was a gust of wind and papers flew off the table in a flurry. I looked up and Clark grinned down on me.

“Need a lift?”

I smiled. It didn’t quite reach my eyes and if Clark noticed he didn’t say anything about it.

“Thanks Clark.”

His expression turned serious as I lifted my bag from the floor.

“How are you feeling about….everything?”

My heart sped up again until I understood what he was asking. He was referring to my new Meteor Mutant status .That’s right I, Chloe Sullivan am a Meteor Freak.

“As good as to be expected I guess. I haven’t freaked out and tried to kill anyone yet so I’m guessing that’s a positive thing right?”

I smiled up at Clark trying to turn the conversation lighter but he didn’t look happy at my reaction.

“Chloe…”

I could already hear the lecture in his voice and to be honest I couldn’t deal with it today. I decided to stop it before he even started. My voice was slightly frustrated as I spoke.

“Clark listen I know that everything that’s happened in the past few days has been crazy. Between the zoners, Lex’s newest venture into Meteor Mutants, kidnapping and finding out I’m one of the afore mentioned things I’m sure it’s hard. But for once can’t we just not over analyze everything? I haven’t even processed all this yet and I still haven’t told Jimmy about my new “meteor freak” status.”

He nodded his head but didn’t look happy about it.

“Chlo don’t call yourself…you’re not a freak.”

He stumbled over his words and it made me smile. At least some things would never change. Clark Kent bumbling farmboy.

“I know Clark,”

I glanced at my watch.

“Come on then Kent if you’re going to lift me off to work we better get a move on cause I’m gonna be late.”

He nodded and grabbed a hold of me. Before I could even blink he was putting me down again. I held onto his arms for a minute to steady myself. Uht oh…what’s that gross feeling? No…no I can’t…oh god I’m gonna be sick.
Clark looked down and I put my hand over my mouth and catapulted to the bathroom before he could say anything.

After about fifteen minutes of praying to the porcelain goddess I freshened up my face a walked out towards my desk. When I finally got a good view of my area I saw Clark sitting on the edge of the desk while Jimmy stood there looking at him with what looked like frustration. Great the tension between those two could light up a freaking town. As I got closer Jimmy smiled and Clark glanced worriedly in my direction.

“Hey there Bright eyes.”

My heart sped up and my palms began to sweat. He leaned down and kissed me. I just hoped my breath didn’t smell like a sewer.

“Hey Jimmy.”

My voice was strong and I think I pulled off nonchalance but Clark didn’t look convinced at all. He was looking at me funny and I was trying to ignore him.

“Everything alright? CK said you looked sick.”

“Umm yea I just wasn’t feeling well for a minute but I’m ok now.”

I gave a small smile then looked over at Clark.

“I have to talk to Jimmy so I’ll see you later Clark.”

He gave me a funny look but got up anyway.

“Don’t forget about tomorrow. Dinner starts at 6 but mom said you can come whenever you want.”

I nodded.

“I’ll come when I’m done at the Planet ok?”

“Ok. I’ll see you later Chloe.”

And he was gone.

“What’s going on tomorrow?”

“Hmm…Oh Thanksgiving dinner at the Kent Farm. It’s kind of a tradition.”

Jimmy looked slightly put off.

“Oh…I kinda thought you’d come with me to my Aunt’s for Thanksgiving. Guess I should have mentioned it before hand huh?”

He gave me a painful half smile.

“I’m sorry Jimmy…it’s just with everything, and it being the first Thanksgiving without Mr. Kent…they really need me there.”

“I get it Chlo. It’s ok…we’ll do the couple thing next year.”

I smiled at the thought of Jimmy planning that far ahead into our relationship. He’s a really great guy. I just hope he takes the news well. I gave Jimmy another kiss, put down my purse, and pulled him into the small copy room where no one else was around.
He looked slightly worried at my quick moves.

“What’s going on Bright eyes?”

“Jimmy there’s something I need to tell you…”


*********
(Clark POV)

I walked out of the basement of The Daily Planet and when I was sure I was alone I supersped back home. Something was going on with Chloe. I really hope super speeding her to work isn’t what made her sick. I’ll have to talk to her about it later. She just seemed so jumpy and as soon as she saw Jimmy her heartbeat went erratic.

Hmmm she must just be nervous about telling him she might be meteor infected. He hasn’t reacted so well to the bizarre happenings in Smallville. He’s wanted her to move to Metropolis for a while now.

I shook my head to release all thoughts of Chloe. I grabbed some hay bales and started piling them on top of each other. Doing my chores was a daily occurrence that led to way to much time on my hands to think.

She’s been on my mind a lot lately ever since Zod took over Lex. I mean after everything went down I thought when I came back things with us would be…I don’t know. I thought we might haven given our relationship a second chance.

That was just crazy thinking though I mean Chloe’s my best friend and I care about her a lot, more than she knows…but not like Lana…I still love Lana and that wouldn’t be fair to put Chloe through that. So I stayed quiet about my less then friendly feelings cause Jimmy really is a good guy and Chloe deserves that.

After about thirty minutes I finished everything up in the bar and decided to see what my mom was up to. I walked into the house to see her unloading groceries for tonight’s dinner. She smiled at me and I started to help her unload the bags.

“Mom, I know I have a big appetite, but you got enough food here to feed a small army”

She laughed lightly.

“I thought it'd be a good idea to invite a few people over for Thanksgiving this year”

I really didn’t agree. The only people I wanted here with me on my father’s favorite holiday were my mom and Chloe.

“ Actually, I was hoping we could keep it low-key. I'm not feeling very thankful this year”
“Well, I know it's gonna be a hard day, Clark, especially after what just happened to Raya, but company could help”

I tried not to snort out load. I hated being disrespectful to my mom but I really didn’t think being around people was going to help. Especially if I couldn’t be ME around those people.

“Mom, it was dad's holiday. He carved the turkey.”

“I can carve this year”

I sighed. She just didn’t get it.
“Mom, he was the one who made sure we all said what we were thankful for. He always made sure that I was thankful for my abilities. But you know what? He was wrong. If I was normal, he would still be here... carving the turkey with grandpa's old carving knife”

She came over and caressed my cheek a bit before sighing and turning back around to the food.
No matter how many times my mom and Chloe told me my dad’s death wasn’t my fault I still couldn’t help feeling responsible.

I shuffled around the kitchen helping put things away when the door opened and in walked Lois. Great cause I need to deal with her now too. I have no idea how her and Chloe are related, Chloe doesn’t bother me nearly as much as Lois does. I mean I like Lois just fine but come on…she’s irritating.

“Hey. So you can scratch Oliver's name off the Thanksgiving guest list -- or any other guest list, for that matter. I'm solo”

Hmm so my mom had invited Lois and Oliver…I guess that’s not unusual Lois is always here anyway and I like Oliver, he’s a good guy. I wonder what happened.

“Well, that's too bad. What happened?”

I love my mom, now I don’t have to awkwardly ask.

“Last night he pulled another one of his trademark disappearing acts -- smack in the middle of a date”.

“Well, I'm sorry, Lois”.

Green Arrow at it again. I told Oliver the whole superhero relationship thing wouldn’t work. I mean look at Lana and me. I wonder what was so bad he left without saying anything to her. I’ll have to stop by and ask him.

“Oh, don't be. I mean, who's kidding who here? We had no future. He's a world renowned billionaire, and I am a nail-biting, talon-doling tabloid reporter.”

I felt kinda bad for Lois, I mean yea we harp at each other but she’s a loyal friend and Chloe’s cousin. Plus I know even though she won’t let on that she really does care about Oliver a lot. So I decided to chime into the conversation.

“Lois, I'm sure you'll find someone who's better suited for you”

I gave her a small smile and she attempted to return it but not without some sarcasm.

“Yeah, I know, I know -- life goes on. At least for some people. Have you heard the news? The Green Arrow was shot last night. It's in today's Planet. A man found him bleeding and ran for help, but when the cops finally got there, all that was left was a bloodstain”.

Oh my god. Oliver was shot? I gotta go see what’s going on…if he’s ok.
I stopped unloading and grabbed my jacket.

“I gotta run some errands. I’ll be back in time to help you later mom. See ya later Lois.”

I high tailed it out of there. As soon as I was out of eyeshot I super sped to Oliver’s Penthouse in Metropolis. I took the elevator up and saw Oliver lifting weights. I was incredibly confused. Lois said the Green Arrow was shot but here’s Oliver looking…just fine. I decided to let him know I was there.

“You're looking awfully healthy.”

He glanced over at me and I noticed a gleam of something I couldn’t recognize in his eyes.

“It's called exercise, Clark. It's something we mere mortals have to do from time to time.”

“According to the Daily Planet, the Green Arrow was shot last night.”

He looked at me with a bit of a smirk and put down the weights.

“If I was shot, don't you think I'd be laying in a hospital or a morgue? I'm not bulletproof like you are, Clark. Besides, you of all people should know better than to believe everything you read in the newspaper.”

I looked at him incredulously. Was he kidding me?

“It's the Daily Planet, not the Inquisitor. A witness saw you lying in a pool of blood.”

“Well, maybe it was someone else with a preference for green.”

I glanced over at his desk chair and there was his Green Arrow suit thrown right over it. Something is definitely up. He’s never been this careless before with his identity.

“What's your Green Arrow gear doing out in the middle of the room?”

he looked over at it and then got a small smile as he showed me the glasses for his costume with excitement.

“I'm uploading a video. Check this out. See that? Now I've got footage of the scumbags, so if they try to get away, I can track them down.”

I shook my head.

“Oliver, you're getting sloppy. Your gear's out in the middle of the room, the door's unlocked. That could have been Lois coming through the door.”

“You know, I've had a lot on my mind lately, all right? Apparently, you were too busy using your powers to bale hay than to realize there's a crime wave in Metropolis. Let me ask you a question. Are you ever gonna get off your ass and finally do something for a change?”

I felt a sting inside as Oliver threw those words at me.
Did he think I didn’t want to help? Sometimes I wish I could be as free with my abilities as Oliver was. But I can’t. I save as many people as I can in my situation.

“I didn't come here to be insulted.”

He turned around and wasn’t facing me anymore.

“Well you know what? There's the door. I don't remember you being invited.”
What the hell is going on with him?

“Oliver, what's going on with you?”

“Clark, I don't need to take advice from someone whose only worry in life is to protect his own identity.”

I shook my head. That’s not all I do. Plus I’m not just worried about myself I’m worried about the people I care about. Like mom and Chloe. I try to help where and can and right now that has to be good enough even though most of the time I know it’s not.

“That's a lie. You know it.”

“Let me tell you something - when I'm out there, when I'm out on the streets, I'm protecting people, all right? I got much bigger things to worry about -- like staying alive!”

He was angry and I wasn’t exactly sure why. The glass he picked up in his hand broke violently cutting into his skin. I softened my voice trying to see if he was ok.

“You okay?”

“I'm fine. Just get out of here.”

I hesitated for just a second.

“You sure?”

He got mad again all of a sudden and started yelling.

“Go!”

As I got into the elevator and the door closed I x-rayed through it to see what Oliver was doing. What I saw shocked me. He was injecting something into his arm. I had to talk to Lois. She needs to stay away from Oliver until I can figure out what’s wrong with him. I sped back to Smallville and had a not so nice talk with Lois about how Oliver was acting to which she told me she could take care of herself and didn’t need me nosing about in her relationship.

It ended with her grabbing her coat and slamming the door shut behind her. Great that went terrific.
I ran back to Oliver’s penthouse to grab the syringe he had used. I got in and out in the blink of an eye. Having powers sure does come in handy sometimes.

If anyone would know how to find out what was in this it would be Chloe. So off to The Daily Planet I go. When I got there I spotted her walking around taking papers and making copies. She looked like she was in a daze.

She also looked a little pale to me. I shook the thoughts away. I’m sure it’s just my imagination. I appeared next to her and I know she knows I’m here. She always does. Apparently as Chloe always says she’s getting used to my abilities and they’re making her lose her scare reflex. I had to smile at that. She’s nuts. I heard her speaking so I gave her my attention and let my thoughts wonder off.

*********

(Chloe POV)

I was blindly going through my tasks at the Daily Planet when I felt a gush of wind beside me and there was Clark. I would not break. Just get through the next few minutes normally and Clark won’t know a thing. I placed on a brave face like I always do and faced Clark as I continued walking.

“I’m telling you the scare reflex, totally gone.”

I grinned up and he looked worried. I glanced at his hands and saw the bag with a syringe in it.

“I take it this wasn't a party favor.”

“I broke into Oliver’s apartment. There might be some residue still left on it.”

“I'd call Oliver Queen a lot of things, but I never thought I'd call him a junkie”

“Chloe, I don't think he's getting high.”

I raised a brow at him.

“Come on, Clark. You of all people should know that everyone has their secrets. Besides, it's not that much of a stretch to think that a jet-setting billionaire might have a little habit to hide.”

“Can you just get it checked out? We'll know for sure.”

“I'll text my bio-chem. buddy at Met U. Hopefully he hasn't left for Thanksgiving already.”

“Hey, that Green Arrow story -- that victim actually see him get shot?
I took a deep breath. I was starting to feel nauseas from all the fast paced moving. So I stopped for a minute.

“No. But the people that own the car did come forward and say that he saved them from a carjacking that night. He hasn't been spotted since.”

Right when I stopped I happened to glance up. I saw Lana coming down the stairs. Oh crap! I completely forgot she was coming by for lunch today. With every that happened with Jimmy…
I shook my head. I need to get Clark out of here. I stared moving him toward the elevator.

“Um, so I'm just gonna get this syringe to my chemist. Why don't you head out, and I will get a hold of you as soon as I find anything?”

“Are you trying to get rid of me?”

“No! why would I want to do that?”

Then Lana finished her decent and Clark saw her.

“Lana.”

She looked at him uncomfortable but I guess she didn’t want to be rude.

“Hi.”

When it didn’t look like anything else was gonna be said I chimed in.

“Us girls were just gonna get some lunch.”

I could see the sadness in Clark’s eyes but he tried to hide it.

“That's great. Uh, have a good time.”

The elevator dinged and he got in and left. Lana and I headed out to lunch and we spent hours talking about The Planet, her and Lex, and me and Jimmy. It was nice. We haven’t had a lot of time lately to spend together. But as usual something ended up happening and I wound up back at the Planet.

I had a voicemail from Clark saying Lois was in the hospital, he said not to panic she’s gonna be just fine but he wanted to let me know what was going on. I sighed. I love my cousin to death but she gets into more trouble then I do. I was getting ready to head out to give Clark the info that was waiting for me when I got back from lunch with Lana when there was a whoosh of air and the papers flew off my desk.

I smiled lightly.

“I’m getting tired of taming wild papers Clark.”

He looked sheepish for a second.

“Sorry.”

“Hey, how's Lois?”

“Physically, she's fine, but she's looking for Oliver. I can't find him anywhere.”

“Maybe this will help. My science geek analyzed the liquid in that syringe, and you're right. No one's gonna take it and go to a rave. It's a cutting-edge molecular modifier that has something to do with tissue regeneration?”

Clark looked confused.

“So it has some sort of healing power.”

“Conceivably. But according to my Einstein, it also packs a mean punch to a part of your brain called the amygdala, which triggers violent and aggressive behavior. Now, why in God's name would Oliver be injecting something like that?”

Clark looked around almost evasively.

“I don't know. But we better find him before he does something he regrets. Who created the drug?”

“A woman named Pamela Black is the only one doing that level of research. She's a professor at Princeton and has been taking a recent sabbatical to work with Queen Industries.”

“If she's supplying the drugs, then most likely Oliver is gonna show up for more.”

He nodded.

“Lemme grab my purse and we’ll go.”

“Chloe…”

He had that voice that told me he didn’t want me going.

“Clark, I’m going suck it up.”

He shook his head and we took off. As soon as we were alone he grabbed me and started to take off at super speed but hesitated for a second.

“Clark go.”

“Chloe…this morning after I super sped you here…you got sick.”
I rolled my eyes. He was such a worrywart.

“That’s not why I got sick Clark trust me just go.”

And with a moments more hesitation he took of and we were suddenly there. The place was in shambles. Someone definitely got there before we did. I turned and saw the doctor on the floor and gasped. Clark turned around at my sound and pulled me back into him.

“She's dead.”

He said it quietly but I could hear in his voice he was blaming himself for not getting here on time.

“And her place has been completely pillaged.”

He was walking around me now looking at everything.

“Look, drugs or no drugs, I can't believe Oliver would kill someone.”

He was right. I didn’t think Oliver was capable of it either. Then I saw the arrow.

“I don't think it was Oliver, Clark. It was the Green Arrow. Looks like our green hero has made the leap from Robin Hood to cold-blooded killer. I just don't understand why a scientist was his target.”

Clark was using his x-ray vision to look around for anything we missed. I saw him head towards a vent a grab some stuff.

“Chloe.”

I looked back at him.

“Clark!”

“These folders are from a halfway house in Metropolis called Second Chance. This doctor, she was giving the kids there the same drugs Oliver was taking.”

A light went off in my head. Didn’t Lana mention something about that house at lunch? She sure did I remember now Lex is funding it and she wanted to help but he said no.

“Lex's foundation funds this halfway house.”

He came to the same conclusion as I did.

“Lex co-opted Oliver's scientist. Those two have been at each other since high school.”

I shook my head. I was starting to feel sick to my stomach. Oh man…this was so not the time. Listen kid if you don’t make mommy through up I promise to buy you a pony when your born. I faced Clark and spoke trying to relieve some of the pressure building in my throat.

“And the Green Arrow got in the way. Ever the crusader for the underprivileged, he must have gotten wind of Dr. Black's secret experiments and taken care of her his own way.”

He looked distracted but nodded.

“If the Green Arrow found out that Luthorcorp was behind this, Lex could be the next target. We have to go.”

I started to follow him out when my step faltered. I covered my mouth and ran over to the garbage can in the corner. I emptied my stomach of the now not so great lunch I had with Lana. When I finished I felt something rubbing my back. Clark was there, he was always there and I almost started to cry right there.

“It’s ok Chloe…it’s gonna be ok.”

I chuckled a bit but the end of it turned into a sob. Clark was hesitating to leave and that killed me. He needs to go, Lex is in trouble and even though neither one of us likes him right now because of what happened. Clark couldn’t play god with other people’s lives.

“Clark you have to go. The Green Arrow could be attacking Lex right now.”

He looked almost scared.

“Chloe what’s going on? Are you sick? I need to get you to a doctor.”

I was shaking my head .

“No Clark you have to go.”

I pushed at him as he picked me up.

“I’ll take you to my mom. Then go to Lex.”

“Clark…”

But before I could protest anymore I was on his couch and he was out the door. Mrs. Kent looked over and was startled when she saw me.

“Chloe?”

I gave a half smile.

“Clark was worried about me, so he dropped me off on his way to save Lex.”
Any other mother would have looked at me strangely for the things I just said. Not Martha Kent. She shrugged and nodded her head as if what I said was the most normal thing in the world. And I guess for her it was. She turned back to the stove.

“Want some dinner.”

Hmm my stomach sure was rumbling. Besides who could turn down Mrs. Kent’s food? It was the best for miles.

“Sure”

and I walked over to the kitchen to help.


*********

(Clark POV)

I just dropped Chloe off with my mom and I’m on my way to Luthorcorp. Unfortunately my mind is on Chloe and not saving Lex. Something is really wrong with her and I intend to find out what it is as soon as I get back to the farm. I slammed into Lex’s office just in time to see him and Oliver inject his arm with the vial of RL65. I saw Lex lying on the floor bloody. I couldn’t believe I was too late. I looked at Oliver shocked.

“Oliver! What have you done?”

“He pulled a gun, Clark. I had no choice.”

I ran over to Lex to try and see if he was conscious.

“Lex? Lex?”

I looked around the room for something, anything that could help and my eyes landed on Oliver.

“Now let nature take its course.”

I shook my head disgusted at what this drug was doing to someone I considered a friend, a hero.

“Oliver, that's the drug’s talking. It's not you.”

“Hey, that drug is the best thing that ever happened to me, Clark. I'm not bulletproof like you, all right? I got to do whatever it takes. I need that drug.”

I turned so I was fully facing him and raised my voice.

“Oliver, you're not a killer!”

“No, but he is, Clark. You and I both know the world's a better place without Lex Luthor.”

He didn’t get it. At least not while he was hyped up on drugs. People like us couldn’t play god.

“That's not for us to decide. Oliver... where are the drugs?”

He was moving around the office frantically back and forth.

“ Lex -- he took it all. He took it all from the lab.”

I saw the briefcase on the desk and ripped it open. I loaded a syringe with the serum and went to inject it into Lex when I heard Oliver.

“Let him die.”

Oliver put his hand on my shoulder to pull me away from Lex. I lashed out probably harder then I should and sent Oliver crashing into the office wall. I stabbed the serum into Lex but didn’t get a response. I was starting to get nervous. Oh my god…Lex is really dead.
I looked over at Oliver and he looked scared.

“You killed him. You killed him.”

Just then I saw Lex start to move. I saw Oliver was gone and I sped out of their semi glad that I managed to save a person. If only it wasn’t Lex.

I got home and mom was in the kitchen cleaning up from dinner. When I closed the door she turned her head to the side and gazed in my direction. She turned back to the dishes and when she spoke it was clearly strained a bit.

“How’d everything go? Is Lex ok?”

“Yea I got there just in time. He should be fine.”

I walked over to her and put a hand on her shoulder.

“Mom…is everything ok?”

She finished the last dish and wiped her hands off. She gave me a small smile and a kiss on the cheek.

“Chloe is in the loft. She’s probably gonna need a lift back to the Talon. You should go talk to her.”

Now I know many people think I’m not to quick to catch onto things but what they don’t realize is I am. Just because I don’t say anything or I feign ignorance doesn’t mean I don’t know something wrong. My voice was stern but not rude.

“What’s going on mom? Did you talk to Chloe? Is she…is she ok?”

She put her hand against my arm to stop my rambling.

“Clark…she’ll be fine. Just…just go talk to her and I’ll see you in the morning.”

She started walking upstairs and halfway up she stopped.

“Don’t forget to get up early, you can help me with setting up for tomorrow afternoon.”

I nodded.

“Ok mom. G’night.”

I had a bad feeling. My mom was acting weird and I was sure it had to do with Chloe. I concentrated on her as I walked towards the barn. I could hear her sniffling like she was upset or crying. By the time I reached the top of the stairs the site I saw broke my heart.

Chloe was curled up on my couch with silent tears coursing down her cheeks. She looked pale and her heartbeat was faster then normal. I was kneeling by her in seconds.

“Chloe talk to me. What’s going on?”

She looked up and me and I could see the hesitation in her eyes.

“Chloe you can tell me anything you know that. We said a long time ago we wouldn’t keep secrets from each other anymore.”

She nodded her head and sat up a bit so she was facing me. I waited for a few minutes before she spoke.

“Clark…I’m..”

She stopped which at this moment frustrates me to no end because I’m terrified about what she’s going to tell me. I know she’s having a hard time, which is why I’m not saying anything. What if she’s sick, what if she’s…oh my god no. I can’t lose Chloe.

What would I do without her here…Please…Please and then her mouth opens and the words come out. I’m looking at her with confusion because I’m not sure if I heard her right.
I can feel her hand on my shoulder and then I hear my name coming from the lips that are moving in front of my face. All the super hearing in the world and I go completely catatonic when my best friend needs me. Good one Kent.

“Clark…Clark”

I looked into her eyes and she looks worried.

“Huh?”

Now she’s the one with confusion written all over her face.

“Huh what Clark?”

I was still kneeling on the floor.

“What did you just say…I miss heard you.”

She shook her head.

“No Clark you didn’t. I’m pregnant.”

I closed my eyes and sat back so I wasn’t on my knees anymore. I cleared my head and glanced at her face. I can’t believe she’s…pregnant. I mean what do you say to that?
I had to lick my lips because my mouth was so dry.

“How?”

Thought brought a twinkle to her eye and she grinned. Well at least I’m good for something. I haven’t seen her smile in a few days.

“Clark…if you don’t know how this happened you might want to go back to sophomore health class.”

I rolled my eyes but it made me smile.

“No I know how…I mean…well…who?”

She snorted at me as she wrapped a blanket around herself.

“Jimmy, I am dating him Clark we have.”

I cut her off quickly.

“OK! I get it…you don’t have to...paint me a picture.”

I cringed a bit. I’m glad Chloe is happy with Jimmy but I really don’t want to hear about there extra curricular activities. She’s looking at me nervously. Oh. She’s probably waiting for me to say something. What am I supposed to say?

“Wow Chloe…that’s…that’s…great?”

She shook her head and I saw tears well up in her eyes. I immediately got onto the couch and put my arm around her. She leaned into me.

“It’s gonna be ok Chloe. Everything will be fine.”
I heard her sniff a little and I could smell the salt of her tears.

“Have you told Jimmy yet?”

That was apparently the wrong question to ask because her small body was suddenly wracked with sobs and she grabbed onto me harder. Crap. What did I just do?

“Chlo? Chloe what’s wrong?”

Her voice was horse when she spoke and I rubbed her back slowly.

“I…I told Jimmy a..about me being a m..meteor freak...a…and he got all distant and weird.”

She stopped for a minute and I waited for her to finish while I continued to rub her back. She looked up into my eyes and I could feel her pain pouring out of her. I can’t even begin to tell you how mad I am at Jimmy. What is his problem? I thought he liked Chloe what does it matter if she’s Meteor infected?

“Clark you should have seen the way he looked at me. H..he moved away from me when I told him and he flinched when I tried to touch him!”

More tears poured out of her eyes when she said that.

“Before he could freak out more I figured I had to tell him…you know about the…baby. So I did..”

“And?”

She shook her head and I could see her trying to control her emotions. Chloe hates crying in front of people. She hates to be anything but strong. She’s an amazing woman and I hate that she feels she has to keep everything to herself.

“He tried to be calm and…rational.”

She looked down at her hands and they were moving frantically. I placed my hand over hers to calm her.

“He said that we didn’t even know what was…wrong with me…that having…it…was a crazy idea since it could have whatever I have.”

She gazed back at me and I couldn’t look away. She was so hurt and her eyes shined with unshed tears. She took one of her hands and placed it on her flat stomach. She took a deep breath and her voice sounded stronger this time more composed.

“He called my…baby and it .And it wasn’t the word itself but the way…the way he said it Clark…it’s like the baby was a monster and I was a…a freak.”

She stumbled on her words and I tightened my grip on her. My voice was stern and unwavering.
“Listen to me Chlo, you are NOT a Freak! I don’t care what anyone says. You are an amazing person. There’s no one in the world that cares about other people more then you do Chloe. And this…this baby isn’t a monster and there gonna be so lucky to have you as a mom. You’re already protecting that person inside of you and I think there is nothing more incredible then that.”

I made sure I looked her right in the eyes when I said this. She gave me a weak smile but her tears were drying and I considered that a good sign. I entwined our fingers and gazed over her body as we sat there. It’s hard to believe that there was another person inside of her. I wonder if I could see it with my x-ray vision.

I felt the need to brake the silence.

“Chloe…I want you to know I’m here for you”

I stumbled over my words a bit but I wanted to get this out.

“Anything you need I’m…I’m here. Even if Jimmy won’t be here for this I will. You’re my best friend…so yea just know that.”

This time her smile beamed at me. Her face lit up and I could see her glowing or at least that’s what it looked like to me and I smiled back. Everything was gonna be ok. I just know it.

*********

(Chloe POV)

Clark always had a way of making everything seem better. I looked down at our hands and I felt a tingle go through my body. Being this close to Clark…isn’t something I need to be doing right now.
I gently pulled my hand away from him and stepped up and out of his grasp.

“Umm I should probably get going. It’s late and Lois is probably worried plus you should get some rest. Lex is ok?”

He stood up slowly and nodded his head.

“Yea he’ll live. Are..are you sure you wanna go home? I mean you can stay here tonight I’m sure mom won’t mind.”

I grinned again.

“Nah Clark. Thanks though. I should help Lois with the stuff she’s bringing here for Thanksgiving. Plus I just…I need to be alone for a bit.”

“Ok well umm come here and I’ll run you back to the Talon.”

I walked over to him and stepped into his arms. He moved me away from him for a minute and I raised a brow at him. He gave me a sheepish smile.
“Chloe can I…I mean if you don’t…you know mind?”

“Huh?”

I chuckled a bit.

“Your gonna have to finish the actual thought Kent.”

“Can I see I mean look at…you know the baby?”

I was startled by his request.

“Why?”

I didn’t say it mean or anything I was just curious. He shrugged and looked down. I placed my hand on his arm and softly rubbed it.

“Hey…”

I tilted my head to the side and he looked at me.

“Sure Clark…that’s…fine. You can maybe tell me if everything’s…you know normal or ok.”

I could feel his eyes concentrating on my body and it felt kinda weird to know he was looking through me. Not bad weird just you know strange. I saw the concentration turn to shock and then awe as he gently reached over and brushed his hand lightly against my abdomen.

“Oh my god Chloe…”

I got nervous for a second.

“What is it Clark…is there…is something wrong?”

he shook his head still eyeing my stomach in wonder. The next time he looked at me his eyes were bright and there was a smile on his face. He pulled me to him and I grabbed on to his arms to steady myself.

“Nothings wrong Chlo…it’s a baby. It’s really there and it’s so…tiny.”

He grinned which made me grin and let out a small laugh.

“Come on farmboy, fly this damsel in distress home it’s late and I need to be up early tomorrow.”

We took off and in seconds we were there. Clark left shortly after and Lois wasn’t even here. Well at least I don’t have to explain myself. I felt a lot better getting some of this off my chest. I had talked to Mrs. Kent while Clark was stopping the Green Arrow and she knows about the baby. I feel even better now that Clark knows.
Him saying he’d be there for me gave me such a warm feeling inside and I love him for it. I got changed and laid down as soon as my head hit the pillows I closed my eyes and the last thing I remember hearing was the sounds coming from outside the window as I fell into a deep sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)