June 19, 2009

The Games We Play Chapter (5/8)


Chapter 6

Chapter 5


Day Two

Step Three: Don’t Answer All His Phone Calls- Even if you are around, let the phone ring for a while before answering it. Sure, you can make up some excuses to justify why you didn’t answer immediately. You can tell him that you were in the middle of something. If he just calls once and then he stops, don’t buck up to call him back. Let him wonder: “is she home? Is she out?” Sooner or later, he will call again.

(Oliver POV)



I sighed as the phone rang for the third time. I glanced at the clock on my desk as I held the phone against my ear and the time read 10:45. I know she’s in the office. She gets in around eight thirty or nine every morning. The recording came on.

You’ve reached the Isis Foundation, I’m either away from my desk or on another call. Leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible. If this is an emergency please hang up and call 678-555-2345. Have a great day…

The beep sounded and I cleared my throat.

“Chloe…it’s Oliver. This is the third time I’m calling you this morning. I know you’re there. Please pick up…come on sidekick…we need to talk about what happened last night….ignoring it is not going to make the green elephant in the room disappear…”

I sighed.

“Dammit I just want to…”

My voice was cut off by a clicking sound and I was startled when her voice floated over the other end of the phone.

“It’s a pink elephant Oliver, not green and I’m with a client right now. I’ll call you later.”

“Chlo…”

But there was a click and the phone went dead. I moved the phone away from my ear and looked at it with a dazed expression. Did she just hang up on me? Unbelievable…I placed the phone back in its cradle and I leaned back in my chair.

This is going to bother me all day. I really messed up. I never meant to come onto Chloe like that…I mean yeah I like her and I intended to let her know that, but I was drunk last night. Had I been in a better state of mind I wouldn’t have skipped the emotional steps and jumped straight to the physical…

She’s never going to hear me out now…I shook my head, sat up and pressed the intercom button on my phone. A second later my secretary’s voice came over the line.

“Yes Mr. Queen?”

“Hey Shelly can you do me a favor.”

“Of course.”

“I need you to call Tony’s Exotic Flowers in down town Metropolis. Tell Tony that Oliver Queen needs an order of a dozen Paphiopedilum delivered to the Isis Foundation offices.”

There was a pause on the other end before she spoke.

“Paphiopedilum sir?”

“Yes, Slipper Orchids.”

“Okay, is there a message to go along with the flowers?”

“I…yes. Give me a second.”

What the hell was I going to say…sorry for almost sleeping with you last night even though technically I’m not sorry…I just wish we had both been sober…I closed my eyes for a second and pinched the bridge of my nose.

“Have the card say, you know what Tell Tony I’ll write a note and fax it over.”

“Okay Mr. Queen. Anything else?”

“No that’s all Shelly. Thank you.”

I pressed the intercom button again and grabbed a piece of paper and a pen. I twirled the pen in my hand for a minute before I started to write. After I wrote my piece I read it over.

Blondie,

We need to talk. I’m not Boy Scout, I won’t ignore the green elephant (that’s right I said green) in the room. We need to resolve these issues Chlo...Call me.

Ollie

I looked through my rolodex and found the fax number to the flower place. I got up, moved to the fax machine, and faxed over the note. There…hopefully that will get her to give me a buzz. I sat back down and shook my head.

I still couldn’t believe I was so stupid. My thoughts drifted back to last night…

*Flashback*

My laughter died down and I couldn’t help gazing into her eyes. She’s beautiful…I could feel the alcohol coursing through my body making me feel light. She’s looks good enough to kiss…

I felt my body leaning down of it’s own accord and her eyes widened.

“Oliver…”

Her voice came out in barely a whisper, but I couldn’t stop myself. This wasn’t part of the plan…but I didn’t care…She didn’t pull away so I didn’t stop making my way closer to her lips. My lips brushed against hers and I felt a jolt go through my body.

I moved away from her slowly and her eyes were still closed. I turned my head to the side and watched her. When she finally opened her eyes there was something in them I couldn’t read. Hmm…maybe kissing her wasn’t the greatest idea I’ve ever had…it wasn’t even a real kiss…just a peck…

When she didn’t say anything and just kept staring I started to pull away from her, but she held on to my arm and I raised a confused eyebrow. I stopped moving away from her and she leaned up and wrapped her arms around my neck.

He body was flush against mine and I couldn’t help the groan that left my throat. I should be asking her if she knows what she’s doing…if she understands what I want from her…My thoughts merged together and I wrapped my arms around her and stroked her back lightly.

I leaned down again and this time she met my kiss with enthusiasm. I grinned against her lips and pulled her to me tighter. I deepened the kiss and her mouth opened for mine and I couldn’t hold myself back anymore.

I took a few steps back and she followed. I broke away from her mouth and bent my head to her shoulder. I placed a few kisses there. Her hands reached up and I felt them in my hair. I took that moment to close my mouth around her neck as I pushed the small of her back hard so she was right up against me.

“Oh god Ollie…”

The sounds she was making were driving me crazy. I detached my body from hers and she seemed startled. She gave me a confused look as I took her hand and walked up the two steps to where my desk sat. My arms were back around her and I started kissing her again.

I slid my hands down to her waist and shoved her back so she was against the desk. I heard her grunt and before she could catch her breath I lifted her up onto the desk and maneuvered myself so I was standing between her legs.

I had her moaning beneath me as I reached up and slid one of her straps off her shoulder. My shirt was half undone my tie was long gone. I was reaching down to unzip Chloe’s dress when something crashed to the floor.

I jumped up and turned in the direction of the noise. Not even ten feet from me stood my team. Eyes wide and mouths gaping. Shit…I opened my mouth then shut it. I didn’t even know where to begin. I turned back to Chloe and her eyes were wide.

I stepped in front of her to block her from the guys while she fixed herself. I turned back to them. A.C. was standing there with a large grin on his face, Victor was giving me a disapproving look and Bart…well his eyes were still attempting to get a peak at Chloe.

I cleared my throat and spoke.

“What are the three of you doing here?”

I heard heels click behind me signifying that Chloe was now standing. No one said anything, which irritated me. My voice grew louder when I spoke.

“Hello, I’m talking to the three of you. What are you doing here this late?”

Victor was the first to recover.

“We came back here after our recon in Suicide Slums went south. We needed some patching up and we thought we’d fill you in on what happened.”

I nodded and ran a hand over my face. Chloe chose that moment to come out from behind me and walk toward the guys. She didn’t even look at me. Wonderful…

“Is everyone okay?”

Victor nodded.

“Bart and A.C. could use some cleaning up, but Clark and I got away unscathed.”

I watched her head shoot up as she glanced around the room. There was a slight quaver in her voice when she spoke.

“Clark’s here?”

Victor shook his head.

“No, he left a while ago. Said something about patrolling Metropolis for a while before heading back to Smallville.”

She nodded and then moved over to the cabinet where we kept the first aid kits. She brushed her hair behind her ear.

“Who needs patching up first?”

A.C. opened his mouth, but Bart beat him to it.

“Me.”

She nodded and as she was making her way over to him I reached out and placed a hand on her arm. She glanced at me and my voice was soft when I spoke.

“Chloe…”

She shook her head, dislodged her arm from my grasp, and continued over to Bart. I sighed. This wasn’t good. When she finished checking Bart and A.C. she stood up and brushed invisible lint off her dress before clearing her throat.

“I should go.”

I shook my head.

“You can’t drive. You’ve had too much to drink.”

She looked up and I could see her give me a defensive look. She practically choked on her next words.

“I’m not staying here.”

I winced at her tone and briefly looked at the guys who were watching us closely. I spoke hesitantly.

“I didn’t…that’s not what I meant. I can have my driver take you home.”

She opened her mouth and knowing her she was about to protest. I waved off whatever she was going to say.

“Don’t. You can’t drive, you’re certainly not walking around Metropolis alone at night, and I doubt you’re going to yell for Clark to give you a lift back to Smallville. Just let my driver take you.”

She bit her lower lip, but nodded.

“I’ll walk you down.”

She grabbed her bag and shook her head.

“I can walk myself out.”

She glanced at the guys.

“Goodnight.”

She made her way to the elevator, closed it and was out of sight before I even had a chance to say goodbye. I shook my head. I turned back toward the guys and groaned. This was not going to be fun…

Present Time

A knock on my office door brought me out of my thoughts.

“Come in.”

The door opened and Shelly appeared.

“Mr. Queen I just wanted to let you know that the flowers have been sent.”

I nodded.

“Thank you.”

“Also you have someone here to see you.”

I sat up in my seat and motioned for her to let whoever was here in. She nodded and closed the door behind her. I let out a frustrated sigh. This isn’t how last night was supposed to end…

Chloe is pissed at me, the whole team thinks something is going on with us, and Clark...well since he hasn’t barged into my office yet today I’m going to assume he doesn’t know anything about it. There was another knock on the door and before I could say come in, it opened.

I glanced up and then leaned back in my chair when I saw who it was. I raised an eyebrow before speaking.

“Why am I not surprised that you’re here?”

He shrugged and sat in the chair in front of my desk.

“Oliver…we need to talk about this.”

I sat up, leaned my elbows on the desk and clasped my hands together.

“I’m not really sure there’s anything to talk about. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice that you guys are concerned, but my private life is just that…private. It doesn’t involve the Justice League.”

“It does when two people on the team, two colleagues, are macking on each other. This doesn’t just effect the two of you. If something goes wrong it could effect the whole team…not to mention what’s going to happen when Clark finds out?”

He sighed.

“You didn’t think this one through Oliver. Watchtower?….you could have any girl…why take one who’s already got her hero?”

You know, that’s a real good question, one I didn’t have the answer to. Why Chloe? Because…she’s Chloe

1 comment:

  1. "You know, that’s a real good question, one I didn’t have the answer to. Why Chloe? Because…she’s Chloe"

    This line says everything, awesome update babe looking forward to more :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)