July 28, 2009

The Power Within Chapter (3/5)



Chapter 3
Metropolis
(Chloe POV)




Chapter 4

I pulled up to the curb in front of the building, got out, and gave the valet my keys. He smiled and took my car to the parking garage. I hurried into the lobby, waved at Jerry, the doorman of Oliver’s building and pressed the elevator buttons a few times.

I’m late. I was supposed to be at the meeting 15 minutes ago. My meetings at work ran a little late and then I had to run home and get dressed because after the meeting Oliver and I are going out…the doors opened, I moved inside, and pressed the button for the penthouse.

I smoothed my dress and the elevator chimed. The doors opened and I frowned. I walked out of the elevator slowly glancing around at the dark apartment. Where are they? I’m only 15 minutes late…

“Ollie…”

My voice trailed off as I moved further into the apartment. I moved over to the light switch and before I could reach it the lights turned on and people jumped out from all over the apartment.

“SURPRISE!!!”

I jumped, put a hand to my heart, and my eyes widened as I looked around the room. Oliver made his way out of the crowd with a smirk on his face. I smiled as I watched him weave in and out of people.

“Happy birthday baby…”

He circled his arms around my waist and leaned down capturing my lips with his. When he pulled back I shook my head.

“You are horrible…this is the secret you’ve been keeping from me recently…”

He shrugged.

“One of them…”

He gave me a wicked smile and before I could say anything people were surrounding us and greeting me with birthday wishes. Oliver guided me around the room with a hand on the small of my back. By the time I finished saying hello to everyone I was exhausted.

After talking to a few members on Oliver’s board of directors I slipped out onto the balcony and leaned against the railing. I sucked in a deep breath and smiled. It was a gorgeous night out. I closed my eyes and let the night breeze flow over me.

My ears picked up a noise and I turned in time to see Victor, A.C., Bart, Clark and Oliver make their way out onto the balcony. Victor shut the door behind him and I turned to face them leaning my back against the rail. I grinned.

“So…I guess there’s no meeting tonight…”

Victor actually had the decency to look embarrassed. Bart sped over to me and kissed my hand. He waggled his eyebrows.

“Hey there Chloelicious…you’re looking foxy tonight! You ready for your birthday present?”

I chuckled as the guys shook their heads.

“I sure am.”

There was a slight breeze and then Bart was standing in front of me with a blue bow on his head, hands stretched out on either side of his body, and a card tucked into the front of his shirt. I raised an eyebrow.

“That’s right baby…you get one free night of Bart lovin’…”

He sidled up next to me and spoke in a low voice.

“What do you say you dump Robin Hood and let a real man rock your world.”

I glanced up as Clark practically choked on his drink and I bit my lip to keep from laughing. I opened my mouth to say something, but Oliver beat me to it.

“Knock it off Bart…where’s you’re real gift. Give it to her and move on. There’s a party going on inside we can’t be out here all night.”

Bart snorted and rolled his eyes.

“Fine…jeez boss, can’t you take a joke. I wasn’t actually going to accept her accepting my bod…”

It was Oliver’s chance to roll his eyes as Bart placed the card in my hands and pulled me into a hug. He spoke softly by my ear and I could hear the affection in his voice.

“Happy birthday Chloe…”

“Thanks Bart.”

Victor was next. He gave me a brand new top of the line laptop, updated with all the latest software. I wrapped my arms around him and he kissed my check before wishing me a happy birthday. A.C. was next. Being the do-gooder that he was, he donated money in my name to the Save the Wildlife foundation.

I smiled, hugged him, and he went back by Victor and Bart. Oliver was leaning by the door the whole time just taking everything in. I gave him a small smile, which he returned before my line of sight was blocked by Clark’s large body.

I glanced up and he gave me a tight smile. I could tell he was nervous. I sighed. I know Oliver thinks I’m being too hard on Clark, but he doesn’t get it. I’m not so much mad at Clark as I am hurt. Twelve years…that’s how long Clark and I have been friends…

Out of those twelve years I’ve known his secret for five and a half years…and in those five and a half years I have never faltered in my friendship…I’ve never wavered or let him down…I’ve never asked for anything from him…and the one time I need him…

The one time the world is crashing in around me and suffocating me…the one time I need him to be strong for me…he disappears for eight months, while I slowly fall apart. Thank god for Oliver…he was my saving grace these past eight months…

I’m still slightly angry at Clark, but at the same time…I’m glad he hasn’t been around for the past eight months…because if he had been Oliver and I most likely wouldn’t be together and I can honestly say I’m happier then I’ve ever been…

Clark clearing his throat brought me out of my thoughts.

“I umm…got you a gift.”

He handed me a wrapped box and I took it from his hands slowly.

“Thank you Clark.”

I tore the paper from it gently and turned it over in my hands. It was a large, black, leather bound book. I furrowed my brows and then my eyes widened. Oh my god…my eyes shot up to Clark and I held up the book. My voice was low and slightly shaky.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Oliver frown and shift his position by the door taking a step closer to me.

“Where did you get this?”

He gave me half a smile and he shrugged.

“I remember you telling me about it when we were younger. It was one of the few times you came to the farm…remember?”

I nodded, but couldn’t get out any words. He continued.

“You brought some pictures with you and in them your mom was writing in a book like this with you next to her writing in your own book. I remember you telling me you’d love to have that book so you could see what your mom was always writing.”

He took a deep breath and gave me a sheepish look.

“I uh, spoke to your dad and he was able to find it in some of your mother’s stuff that was packed away…so…I thought you might like to have it.”

My eyes teared up slightly, I reached up quickly and pulled Clark into a tight hug. His arms came around my waist and he buried his head between my shoulder and neck. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly as he spoke.

“I’m so sorry I left Chlo…I know it’s going to take some time, but these last eight months…the hardest thing was going through them without you in my life. I never realized how much I need you. From this point on…no matter what…I’ll always be here…I won’t leave again…”

My grip loosened and he pulled back so he could look me in the eye. I gave him a small smile.

“You better not Clark Kent…or I swear…”

He chuckled.

“Don’t worry, I’ve been pretty good about not making the same mistake twice.”

My smiled widened and he glanced at Oliver before rubbing the back of his neck. He looked at the guys and motioned to the party.

“Well we should probably get back inside.”

I nodded and wiped my eyes as the guys all made their way inside. The door shut and Oliver smiled at me. I gave the book one last glance before placing it on one of the chairs. Oliver motioned in the direction of the book.

“So, what’s the deal with the book? It seems pretty important to you.”

I heard a slight tinge in his voice and I smiled. I wrapped my arms around him and he raised an eyebrow at my smirk.

“What?”

“Ollie…are you jealous?”

I heard him snort as he looked over my head.

“Please…of boy scout…I don’t think so.”

I smiled and brought his face down so he was facing me. I leaned up and gave him a deep kiss. A pulled back a minute later and spoke in a warm voice.

“You Oliver Queen, have nothing to worry about. Clark doesn’t hold a candle to you.”

I nodded towards the book.

“It was my mom’s. I’ve actually never seen the inside of it, but when I was younger she was always writing in it.”

I shrugged.

“I didn’t even know it was still around…I’m glad it is though.”

He nodded, grinned down on me, and pulled me closer.

“Do you want your gift now or later?”

My eyes lit up and I bounced up and down slightly. Oliver laughed. I gave him a sheepish smile.

“Sorry…I apologize for the girly moment…gift please?”

I held out my hand and he nodded. I watched as Oliver reached into his pocket and pulled out a small velvet box. My smile disappeared as I watched him swallow hard and slowly get to one knee. My hands came up to my mouth.

“Oh my god…”

He gave me a nervous grin and opened the box. The ring was gorgeous.

“Chloe…no…do not open that mouth of yours until I’m finished. I’m not great with words…but these past eight months…they’ve been the best of my life. You understand a part of me that not many others do. You’ve managed to break through all of my walls, even thought I tried to keep you out.”

I gave him a teary smile and his lips turned up at the corner before continuing.

“I love you…I want to spend the rest of my life with you…living…fighting the Lex Luthor's of the world…helping people…I want to be the only guy for you…so…what do you say Sidekick…want to be the ying to my yang?”

I chuckled as I felt a tear slid down my cheek. I opened my mouth, but nothing came out. It’s official…I’ve been rendered speechless…I just nodded my head and I watched as relief overtook Oliver’s face. He stood up, pulled the ring out, placed it on my finger, cupped my cheek, and kissed me.

When we broke apart I could see red in his eyes. he shook his head.

“For a minute there you had me worried.”

“For a minute there I was worried myself.”

I leaned my head on his chest and my voice was muffled when I spoke.

“What now?”

He glanced toward the inside of the apartment and spoke.

“Now, I should probably get you back to your party. People are probably wondering where you are.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

He wrapped an arm around my waist and I followed suit. As we walked toward the door I stopped short and turned toward the chair I had placed the book on. Something was telling me not to leave it outside. I let go of Oliver, walked over, grabbed the book and then went back over to Oliver.

He smiled took my hand and we made our way back inside. Tonight is turning out to be my best birthday ever…way better than I ever expected…

*****

The party was still going a couple of hours later, but people were slowly taking off. I was talking to my assistant from work when Oliver came up next to me. He rubbed my arm lightly to get my attention and I glanced over my shoulder to face him.

“Hey, we ran out of ice, can you believe that? I’m going to run to the store down the road. I’ll be right back.”

I stood up and shook my head.

“I’ll go.”

He shook his head.

“No Chlo, this is your birthday party. You shouldn’t have to do any work tonight.”

I smiled.

“It’s fine babe. I could use some fresh air. It will only take a couple of minutes. I be right back.”

I leaned up, gave him a kiss on the cheek, and made my way to the elevator before he could protest again. I waved as the elevator slid shut. As I stood in the elevator I glanced down at my ring finger and grinned. I can’t believe I’m engaged…I can’t believe I’m engaged to Oliver Queen…

The elevator chimed, the doors slid open and I walked out into the lobby. I made my way outside and the valet smiled.

“Do you need your car Miss Sullivan?”

I shook my head.

“No I’m fine Carlos, thank you.”

He nodded and I made my way down the street. I was humming softly to myself when I heard a strange noise. I stopped, turned around, and glanced around the street. Nothing was there. That’s odd…I shook my head and continued walking.

I turned the corner, a light exploded in front of me, and a large horned monster jumped out of the light. My eyes widened as I took a few steps back. Oh my god…I turned and ran down the road. I wasn’t watching where I was going and I wound up running up an ally.

“Shit…”

I turned when I heard a loud gurgling noise. It was standing in front of the only exit growling in my direction. It lifted it’s hand and a bluish sphere appeared floating above his hand. He lifted it and I closed my eyes as I opened my mouth to call for Clark.

Before I had a chance I heard the creature grunt and I heard another voice. My eyes sprang open and I watched the scene before me in shock. A young girl, who couldn’t have been much older than me, with dark hair held out her hand and spoke.

“Stick.”

I watched as a particularly large stick on top of all the garbage shimmered with blue and white light before it appeared in her hand. She tossed it at the creature and it swiped at her. She disappeared in the blue and white light and reappeared behind it.

I watched as she tossed a vile at it. A second later the glass cracked, smoke poured out and the creature screamed before disappearing into thin air. She wiped off her clothes and glanced around before she caught my eye.

She walked over to me held out a hand and all I could do was look at it. She sighed.

“Hi, my name is Paige…I’m you’re white lighter…”

I glanced at her hand again then at her face. White lighter…what the hell is a white lighter? How is it I always wined up in these kinds of situations…so much for the greatest birthday ever…

3 comments:

  1. I am really falling in love with this fic, the proposal was gorge. See chloe could totally get behind Ollie's walls, why can't it happen on the show? Looking forward to see how it plays out esp when Ollie finds out she's a witch! Her mom's book should be a good read, nice how this gave Clark the opportunity to reconcile with Chloe. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kryptolori-

    I'm s o glad your enjoying the story so far. Thanks for the comment! I love Chloe and Oliver...I love Chloe and Clark more though I think LoL...or maybe I can't choose. Chlollie has really grown on me the past few months LoL. :-) Have a good one!

    -Corina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theyre engaged, yay!! Chlollie love! I love the present clark got for chloe, wonderful! I rlly wonder what power chloe has, how rare it is...such curiosity...im loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)