July 11, 2009

Two Of A Kind


Title: Two Of A Kind
Season: Season 1-6 and then it veers of in my “Three Minutes” universe.
Rating: R
Disclaimer: Everything belongs to the CW and the Creators of Smallville.
Couples: Lana/Lex
Edited By: dh1031
Category: One-Shot- Angst/Dark/Romance




August 18, 2009
(Lana POV)


I quietly shut Alexander’s door and made my way down the hall to the study. I braced myself before pushing the double doors open and walking in. I clenched my jaw and glanced around the room. With each step I took into the room I could feel water pool in my eyes.

I stopped, shut my eyes, took a deep breath and calmed myself down. Tears wouldn’t help…they’d only be a sign of weakness. I’m a Luthor…and Luthor’s aren’t weak. I opened my eyes and walked over to the book shelf. I pulled the album out and made my way over to Lex’s desk.

It doesn’t matter that Lex has been gone for two years today…this will always be his desk…his study…I sat down and swallowed hard before sliding the first page open. Staring back at me was a woman with long flowing hair…someone without worry lines…

A picture from a lifetime ago...of a younger more carefree version of myself, holding onto a happy looking Lex. We were supposed to be happy…and we were…at least for a little while…My thoughts drifted back to the week we got back from our honeymoon…

*Flashback*

A light touch brought me awake. I squeezed my eyes, groaned and rolled over onto my side. I heard a light chuckle and I smiled against my pillow. I felt a hand gently stoke my arm.

“Rise and shine Mrs. Luthor…”

I stretched, turned so I was on my back, and opened my eyes to face Lex. He smiled down on me and I grinned.

“Hey there Mr. Luthor…”

He stood up and moved away from the bed. I sat up, leaned against the pillows and yawed. Lex came back over holding a tray full of breakfast foods. He sat back on the bed and I gave him an amused look.

“What’s all this?”

He placed his hand lightly on my stomach and rubbed it.

“I thought the two of you might like some breakfast before I left for work.”

I cupped his face, leaned up, and placed a deep kiss on his lips.

“You’re too good to me…”

He shook his head and kissed my forehead before getting up to finish getting ready. I took a couple of sips of tea, ate some fruit, and then moved the tray over so I could get up. Lex looked over his shoulder when he heard me moving around and frowned.

“Are you finished already? You really should eat more.”

I patted him on the back and shook my head.

“I just need to use the bathroom. You worry too much.”

He wrapped me in his arms and I chuckled as he captured my lips with his. We kissed for a few minutes before breaking apart to catch our breath. He leaned his head against mine and sighed. His voice was quiet when he spoke.

“God I love you…”

“I love you too…it’s getting late though…you better get going.”

He nodded, kissed me, fixed his jacket, winked and walked out of the bedroom door. I chuckled and made my way to the bathroom. I had just finished flushing the toilet when I heard a loud crash come from somewhere in the mansion.

My eyebrows furrowed and I threw open the door and called out.

“Lex!”

There was no answer, but I heard more grunting and another crash. I went to the armoire on the side of the bed, opened it and pulled out the gun that Lex keeps behind his sweaters. I took the safety off and ran in the direction of the noise.

I saw two of the guys from our security team knocked unconscious on the floor. I took a deep breath and burst through the study doors. I saw a man on top of Lex choking him. My heart was beating quickly and I pointed the gun at Lex’s attacker before calling out to Lex.

“Lex move!”

His head snapped up and he kicked the guy sending him flying. The man stood up and before he even had a chance to move I felt myself pulling back on the trigger. I got off three shots before the guy fell to the floor. Lex’s eyes were wide as he ran over to me.

I felt his hands moving all over my body and I could hear the slight panic in his voice when he spoke.

“Are you alright?”

I nodded.

“I’m fine. Are you okay? What the hell happened?”

He shook his head.

“He’s a business partner. One minute he was talking the next he was trying to choke the life out of me. It was odd…you’re sure you’re okay?”

I nodded as he took the gun from my hand. The head of the security team came into the study and started barking orders to his team. I frowned and pointed at them. My voice was angry when I spoke.

“Where the hell were you while that maniac was trying to choke my husband to death? Is this what we pay you for? You’ll be lucky to keep your jobs after this.”

Lex came over and rubbed my shoulders lightly as everyone cleared out of the room with the body in tow. I sighed and Lex turned me to face him.

“Hey…hey, it’s okay. Come here.”

He wrapped his arms around me and I melted against him.

“I heard the crash from the bathroom…god…I was so worried.”

He moved my body away from his and looked into my eyes. He opened his mouth and hesitated before speaking.

“Lana…are you…I mean…you know that man is…well he’s dead…how are you holding up?”

I shrugged.

“He was attacking you Lex…I’m not going to apologize for doing what I did. He attacked my husband…he got what was coming to him.”

I held my head high and stood my ground. I saw surprise on Lex’s face, but I also felt his body relax.

“I don’t want you to apologize. You saved my life. I don’t think what you did was wrong…it’s what I would have done…the only people we can count on are each other…always…”

Present Time

A wet drop splashed on the photo, knocking me out of my thoughts. I think that was when it changed. Things have been different…I’ve been different since I started dating Lex, even more so when I married him. But that morning…that was when I felt the shift in myself. I killed a man…and I didn’t even feel remorse.

I turned the page and caught sight of the next photo in the book. I winced. Lex was standing with an arm around me, with my hand on his chest and bright smiles planted firmly on our faces. To my right stood Chloe and to Lex’s left stood Clark.

It was the last day the four of us even pretended to be friends…I rubbed a finger lightly over the picture. Sometimes I wonder what things would have been like if I’d made different choices…if things were done differently…if I asked Lex to leave Chloe alone…

Would he have listened? Would Chloe and I still be friends? It’s silly to wonder all this now…because I’ll never know the answer to those questions…and to be honest I suppose it doesn’t really matter. I’ve made my bed and I’ll lie in it.

Ninety-nine percent of the time I didn’t regret any of my past decisions…and then…there were moments like these…moments of weakness…when I couldn’t help but feel the emptiness around me…When the day is done…when Alexander goes off to bed and the sun sets…and I’m all alone.

No friends…no family outside of Alexander…and no Lex…and I think that hurts the most. A gentle hand on my shoulder made me jump. I turned my head and glanced over my shoulder. Lionel stood there with confusion on his face. I placed a hand over my heart, spun the chair fully around and smiled.

“You startled me.”

“What are you doing in here so late? I thought you and Alexander would have gone home by now.”

I closed the book on my lap and shook my head.

“Alexander wanted to spend the night. It was late after everyone left anyway. I thought it would be alright. You don’t mind do you? I hope we aren’t intruding?”

I saw surprise cover Lionel’s face as he spoke in a warm voice.

“Not at all. Lana, you and Alexander are always welcome here. You’re family. Besides technically this is your home.”

I shook my head and my voice was soft as I stood.

“No, this isn’t home without Lex. I should probably get to bed.”

I swallowed hard and Lionel gave me a sympathetic look.

“Lana…I know you miss Lex…but you can’t keep doing this to yourself…maybe now…with Lex gone…you can mend some of the bridges that were burned…”

His voice trailed off at the look on my face. I leaned up, I gave Lionel a kiss on the cheek, tightly smiled at him, and made my way out of Lex’s study.

“Good night Lionel.”

“Good night Lana.”

I closed the doors behind me and walked to mine and Lex’s suite. I glanced at the clock on my way. It read 2:45 a.m. One day…I allow myself one day a year to give into the weakness of the emotions that, at times, overwhelm me. That day is over…mending bridges…I shook my head...sometimes I don’t think Lionel see’s me for who I really am.

He thinks I’m upset because I miss Chloe and Clark and my old life…I don’t. No one forced me into this marriage…I love Lex and yes once a year I am plagued with thoughts of ‘what if’ but that doesn’t mean I regret getting involved with Lex.

I grinned and made my way into the bedroom…I am who I am today because of him…and I like the woman I’ve become. Hopefully when our latest 33.1 project is complete…Lex will like the woman I’ve become too…

1 comment:

  1. It's interesting that Lana has little of conscience about all the bad she does. She perceive it as a weakness. It's the bad.

    I think that Lex really like so much his creation. But I think too that Lana need to pay a big price, staying alone because her choices.

    Dark and terrifying as expected for the bad couple. Good write, of course, I don't hope less.

    RedGigant

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)