December 23, 2008

Quintessence Chapter (3/13)

Chapter 3

Chapter 2
One Week Later
(Clark POV)




I laughed as Alicia climbed on top of me. Her giggles echoed around the empty room.

“God I miss you Clark…”

I grinned.

“I miss you too…”

I glanced away from her and when I looked back my forehead was creased with sorrow. My voice came out racked with guilt as I spoke to her in a low voice.

“I’m…I’m so sorry Alicia. I’m sorry I didn’t believe you…that I didn’t get there in time. With all my gifts I should have been able to save you…I should have stopped him.”

Tears filled my eyes as I looked down. I couldn’t face her…not after everything that’s happened. I felt her small hands lift my face so I was eye level with her. When she spoke her voice was strong.

“Clark Kent you look at me right now…this…my death…it isn’t your fault. I know deep down that you believed me Clark…I know you did. We all waiver…it happens. But you were there for me when it counted and that’s all that matters to me…hey are you listening?”

I nodded. When I finally made eye contact she was sticking her tongue out at me. I laughed and then turned serious. My voice was hesitant when I spoke.

“Alicia…I want you to know…that…well that I really did love you…and even though I was mad about the whole RedK thing…you were right…it doesn’t make me do things I don’t want to do…”

She grinned and was about to lean down and kiss me when I saw her body shiver. I frowned and ran my hand up and down her back.

“What’s wrong?”

She looked behind us and when her face turned back to me it was pale and her eyes were wide. I saw lick her lips because they seemed to be dry. I still felt the shiver running through her body when she spoke in a terrified voice. It was barely a whisper.

“Clark…run….”

I frowned at her and was about to speak when she disappeared right off of me. I stood up looked out the barn doors from over the railing and I saw the trees blowing harshly. I moved over to the window and it got dark outside immediately, the wind picked up…. it looked like there was going to be a storm. Bright lights flashed and I raised my hand over my eyes…what in the world…

My eyes popped open and I glanced around the dark ceiling. I frowned. That was weird. I shook my head and my bed creaked as I got up. I listened to see if my dad was awake yet and I heard him talking to my mom downstairs. I walked over to my closet and got dressed for school. I took a few days off after what happened to Alicia. Today was going to be my first day back. I’ve been keeping busy at home though with schoolwork. Chloe’s been bringing by all my assignments for me. She’s been a real lifesaver. It’s been great having her to talk to.

She’s the only person who knows exactly how much I miss Alicia…how much I blame myself for what happened. She doesn’t judge me…I can tell her what’s going through my mind without her constantly babbling on about how it’s not my fault. I mean someone can say it a million times…and it probably isn’t my fault…but I can’t help the way I feel…and Chloe gets that…I tied my shoes and headed downstairs.

Lois stopped by once or twice…probably at Chloe’s prodding. But she came non-the less and offered her sympathies and apologized for being on the blame Alicia bandwagon. I forgave Lois almost right away…because if it wasn’t for her it probably would have taken me a lot longer to figure out who killed Alicia and…she stopped me from killing him…which I might have done had she not been there. When I got to the last step I took a deep breath and stepped down.

I rounded the corner and when my mom saw me she moved from her position and gave me a small smile.

“Morning sweetheart. How are you feeling?”

I shrugged and sat at the counter.

“I’m not sick mom…”

She sighed and her voice gentled. I’ve been fighting a lot lately with them and I wasn’t sure how to rectify things.

“I know that Clark…I just meant…how are you holding up with everything…that’s all.”

She turned to the stove to flip the pancakes she must have started cooking while I was getting dressed. My voice was mild and uncaring as I spoke.

“It’s another day…nothing’s changed…she’s not coming back just because it’s a new day…so I’m gonna have to say I’m I feel the same as I did yesterday.”

I heard my dad’s cup bang slightly on the counter top. I glanced over at him and his face was stern as he looked at me. Here we go… I could feel a lecture coming on.

“Son…I know you’re hurting, but that’s no reason to take it out on your mother. She’s just trying to make sure you’re ok. We love you son…and you haven’t quite been the same since Alicia died…”

My face turned sour as I pushed the chair and myself back with my arms.

“You mean since she was KILLED dad? Yes…that’s right Alicia was MURDERED she didn’t DIE. There is a difference. God…I’m sorry you guys didn’t like her…and I’m sorry you thought she was a bad influence…but I liked her…and a part of me…loved her….”

I shook my head and stood up. I glanced around for a second and when my eyes landed on my backpack I grabbed it and placed it over my shoulder.

“I’m leaving I don’t want to be late for school.”
I could hear my mom calling out to me as I sped out the door. I ignored her. Fighting with my parents was the last thing I needed right now. Going back to school was going to be hard enough without me being in a bad mood. I picked up my pace and could see the school in the distance. Might as well get it over with…

(Chloe POV)

I was glancing around the hallway but I didn’t see Clark anywhere yet. He said he was coming back today. He’s been out for a while…people were starting to wonder if he was coming back at all. He just needed time… I was nervous. I know I got some advice from Lois about a week ago…concerning whether or not I should tell Clark.

Well I’ve decided I have to tell him. I can’t keep pretending that I don’t know anything, because if he finds out that I’ve been lying to him about this…I don’t think he’ll ever forgive me. So today after school…I’d tell him. The last bell rang and I sighed. I guess I’ll run into him later. I went to my first class…History…I can’t even begin to explain how incredibly boring it was. As Mr. Jensen was telling us all about some boring war I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

I scrunched up my nose and glanced around to see if anyone had heard it. Not a one. I placed my book on top of my other one and carefully took my phone out. I placed it so it was behind the two books on the desk. When I opened it I saw a text message from a number I didn’t recognize. I opened it and laughed lightly to myself.

It was Lex. He wrote, Chloe…I hope you’re enjoying today’s lesson’s…join me for lunch and I’ll teach you more in a few hours than any of your teachers could in a whole day. L.L.

I shook my head and grinned. He is absolutely ridiculous. I had to admit I enjoyed it though. Ever since he helped my dad and I out with the whole Lionel trying to kill us thing we have become…friends…kind of. We ran into each other about a month and a half ago at a Charity Auction that I was covering for The Torch, because it involved one of our students; and ever since then we’ve been sort of hanging out.

I text him back saying, that I only got an hour for lunch but if he wanted to meet up that’d be fine. The bell rang as I pressed send. I got up put my books in my messenger bag and walked out of the class. As I was making my way down the hall I felt more vibrations against my leg.

I chuckled pulled out the phone. Lex was nothing if not persistent. I opened the phone. I’ll pick you up at 12…no backing out see you later. L.L. I was looking at the phone shaking my head when I bumped into what felt like a steel bar.

“Owww…”

I glanced up and there was Clark smiling down one me. I closed my phone and smiled back. I could hear the amusement in his voice when he spoke.

“What’s got you so occupied that you don’t know how to look where you’re going?”

I shrugged and laughed.

“Text messaging…it can kill. So how’s you’re first day back going?”

He nodded and the smile left his face.

“As good as can be expected I guess. How bout you…how’s your day goin?”

I smiled at him and then turned to walk to my next class with Clark in tow.

“It’s looking up now.”

He shook his head good-naturedly at me.

“I gotta get to class but I’ll see you at lunch?”

I gave him a sheepish look.

“I’m going off grounds for lunch today…with Lex…I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if you came…want me to ask?”

I saw confusion fall on his face.

“You’re going to lunch with Lex? That’s…different…I don’t want to intrude or anything…”

I waved him off.

“I’ll text him next period and let him know you’re coming. Meet me outside at twelve ok?”

He nodded as the late bell rang. Crap I had Johnson next and he hated when we were late…

“Catch you later…”

I took off down the hall. I didn’t want to be any later then I had to be…as I sat in my seat and listened to him drone on and on the only thing I could think was that I couldn’t wait for lunch…

(Clark POV)

I was standing outside the school. It was ten to twelve. Everyone was moving around making there way to the cafeteria. I saw Lex’s limo pull up. He got out and seemed to be waiting for Chloe until he glanced over and saw me. He waved and made his way over to me. When he finally reached me he stuck out his hand and I grasped it.

His voice was sincere as he spoke low.

“Clark…I am sorry about what happened to Alicia…how are you holding up?”

I shrugged and avoided eye contact with him.

“I’m fine…you know as good as can be expected. I got you’re flowers and the arrangement for the funeral…thank you. It meant a lot to me.”

He nodded a put a hand on m y shoulder.

“What are friends for? Speaking of friends where is that blonde headed friend of yours?”

He grinned and I gave him a small laugh. Ok to be honest…it kind of freaked me out that Chloe and Lex hung out…alone…together. It was weird. They don’t have anything in common…at least not that I know of. I mean what could they possibly be doing together? They were so different. I don’t know…it just weirded me out. I glanced around for Chloe but she was still nowhere in sight. I spoke to Lex in a casual manner.

“So…I didn’t know you and Chloe were such good friends. When that’d happen?”

I saw his eyebrow rise as he smirked at me. He spoke with humor.

“Do I detect a bit of jealousy Clark?”

I frowned and shook my head.

“No…no just…curiosity. I mean you’re both good friends of mine…it’s odd that nether of you have mentioned it that’s all.”

He nodded his head and then gave me a small shrug of one shoulder. He smiled and spoke in a low tone.

“Well you’ve been going through a lot recently and I suspect she didn’t want to bother you with something like this, and I haven’t seen much of you lately.”

I gave him a sheepish smile.

“Sorry about that by the way…”

He waved it off.

“It’s understandable. Don’t worry about it.”

I nodded.

“So how’d this friendship start?”

He smiled as he scanned the crowd for Chloe.

“We ran into each other at a benefit a month or so back and we’ve spent some time together since. Nothing life altering Clark…don’t worry I don’t plan on stealing your girl Friday.”

My cheeks tinged slightly pink as I saw Chloe walk up to us. She grinned.

“Read boys?”

We nodded, got into the limo and left. As soon as the driver pulled away from the curb Chloe and Lex got into a hot debate over something or other. There sparing made me dizzy. They were also sitting kind of close…I frowned slightly. This was going to be a very long drive…

(Chloe POV)

Lunch was nice and Lex paid of course. He always did even when I insisted he didn’t have to. He took Clark and I back to school. The limo stopped in front of the school and I couldn’t see a single person outside…we must have been late getting back. Oh well. Clark helped me climb out of the limo and then got out behind me. Lex rolled the window down and spoke in a friendly voice.

“Clark stop by the mansion soon, Chloe it was a pleasure as always. I’ll see you two soon.”

I smiled and Clark waved. Lex took off not a minute later. I started walking back into the school when I noticed that Clark wasn’t following me. I turned and stopped.

“Clark…you coming?”

He glanced at the building and then down at the ground. I heard him sigh and when he looked up at me he had a thoughtful expression on his face.

“No…I don’t think I am. I kind of wanna go home. There’s only like two hours left of school anyway. I call you later Chlo…ok?”

“Clark…wait!”

He started to walk away and I panicked. I couldn’t let him leave…I had to tell him and I had to tell him now or I was never going to be able to do it again. I called out to him in a semi frantic voice and he stopped immediately. He turned around and there was a look of concern on his face.

“Everything ok Chloe?

I shook my head.

“No…I mean yes…I just…I have something I have to tell you.”


He nodded and walked back over to me. He had a slight look of fear on his face as I led him to a quiet area behind some bushes. I had no clue what to say…I mean how should I start? He was glancing at me waiting patiently. I took an extremely deep breath and as I exhaled I spoke the words I didn’t think I had the courage to say.

“Clark…I know you’re secret…”

He looked extremely confused for a minute before his expression changed to panic, anger, and denial all in less then sixty seconds. He chuckled lightly but I could hear the strain in his voice.

“Chloe…what secret…what are you talking about?”

If I hadn’t have seen it with my own eyes I would have believed him…but I did…so all the playing dumb wasn’t working…I shook my head and my voice softened.

“Clark…I saw you…Alicia showed me…before she was killed…she showed me what…what you could do.”

He took a step back and I saw him glower at me. Well that expression didn’t really bode well for me…he looked between a mixture of pissed and nervous. I sighed.

“Clark…say something.”

My voice must have startled him back into reality because he started to walk away from me and I ran to catch up to him. I grabbed his arm and he turned. His eyes were hard and he didn’t seem to be in the mood to talk.

“Clark…please…”

His voice was rough when he spoke.

“How long Chloe…how long have you known…have you been hiding that you’ve known?”

I looked down at the ground and spoke in a voice full of shame.

“Since the night Alicia was killed.”

He shook his head.

“And you didn’t think this was important enough to tell me? Jesus Chloe! We have spent like the last week or so hanging out together…and you couldn’t bring this up then?”

I shrugged helplessly.

“I was scared…I thought you’d be mad and I didn’t want that. Things have been so good with our…friendship lately I didn’t want to ruin that.”

I saw him look down and then back up. His head was moving back and forth quickly.

“Because this is so much better… listen I just…I can’t do this right now. I’m sorry Chloe…”

I was about to say something when he disappeared…just like he did the night I was with Alicia…well Chloe…that went great…I’m sure once he’s had time to cool down things will be fine…yeah…that’s what it was he just needed a cool down…then everything would be ok…he’d get over it and tell me what was going on…hopefully…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)