December 23, 2008

Quintessence Chapter (4/13)

Chapter 4

Chapter 3
Present Time
(Clark POV)




I came out from behind the trees and made my way towards school. I saw a blond head of hair in the crowd and tried to move through people to get to Chloe. She disappeared into the school and I sighed. She was probably going to the Torch office…I made it into the building with my bag over my shoulder. As I was rounding the corner I bumped into someone.

I was about to apologize when I saw who I bumped into. It was Lana. She gave me an awkward smile and slightly touched my arm.

“Hey Clark…how are you?”

I pulled out of her grasp.

“Fine. I can’t talk now Lana. I’m looking for Chloe.”

She frowned for a second before giving me a soft smile.

“I was just heading that way. Why don’t we walk together?”

I shook my head and scowled in her direction.

“No I’d rather not…I need to talk to Chloe alone Lana…”

She stood there awkwardly for a few seconds before speaking in a quiet voice.

“Listen Clark…I know that you’re going through a lot right now…but that’s no reason to take it out on your friends. I was only trying to be nice.”

I switched my bag to my other shoulder and looked at her as students passed around us heading off to there first class.

“Lana…let me tell you something about friends…people who are friends are there for each other…when something bad happens in their life…there friends are supposed to offer comfort…remorse…what exactly did you offer me when Alicia was murdered? Did you apologize for automatically blaming her? Did you come to her funeral when you realized it wasn’t her?”

Her eyebrows rose and her mouth dropped open. I could see the shock on her face. She went to speak but I cut her off.

“I understand that Alicia tried to kill you in the past. I was the first person to stand by you…make sure you were ok. I never asked you to forget what she did…because I never will I was so worried for you…but I did ask you to give her a second chance when she came back, and you couldn’t even do that.”

My voice started to raise as I continued to speak. I could see people stopping and standing in the hallway watching us from the corner of my eye. But I didn’t care. All I cared about was letting Lana know how I felt…

“All of us…you, Me, Chloe, Pete, even Lex…we’ve all turned on each other, tried to kill each other at least once due to…something or other…and yet you’re still friends with us…you still care. Why couldn’t you do that with her? Why couldn’t you give her a second chance?”

The bell rang and people were still standing there mouths open wide. I had just yelled at Lana Lang in the middle of a crowded hallway in Smallville High. Her face was a mixture between anger, embarrassment, and sympathy. I wasn’t sure I liked any of those expressions…all I wanted to do this morning was find Chloe so we could talk about everything and I could finally tell her the truth…I didn’t mean for this to happen.

Lana took a step closer to me and her voice was deadly quiet but I heard her clearly, as I’m sure half the people out there did to.

“Clark…I am sorry about Alicia…I am. As much as I didn’t like the girl she didn’t deserve to die like that. But you need to take a look around you at the things that are important…and you need to start mending fences with all the people you’ve been pushing away lately.”

She shook her head and her face now only showed anger.

“Because when all is said and done Alicia is dead…she’s not coming back…and if you don’t start dealing with the anger you have…all your friends that are still here…are going to disappear to…and then you really will be alone.”

We stood there as one of the teachers came out of the room and started ushering people off to class. We must have been pretty loud because the next thing I know, I see Chloe walking out of the Torch office glancing back and forth between us. She spoke hesitantly.

“What’s going on here guys?”

She glanced at my face and must have seen the anger there because she addressed her next question to Lana.

“Is everything ok?”

Lana finally broke eye contact with me and turned to Chloe.

“Everything is fine. I was coming by the Torch to drop this off to you.”

She handed her a notebook and started to walk away.

“I need to get to class. I’ll see you later Chloe…Clark.”

And she disappeared around the bend. Chloe was standing there self-consciously moving from foot to foot. She gave me a hesitant smile and I gave her a half smile back. Her voice was timid…which was never something I remember it ever being.

“Hey.”

I pulled my bag higher on my shoulder.

“Hey Chloe…I was actually coming to see you when I ran into Lana…you busy? Think we can talk for a minute?”

She shrugged and smiled.

“Got first period free…thus the Torch.”

She waved me over and started walking back into the classroom. I followed her in, shut the door behind me and put my backpack on the couch. She was leaning over the computer clicking on some buttons as I glanced around the office. When my eyes landed on the desk I saw a good size arrangement of yellow and white roses. I scrunched up my brows and crossed my arms over my chest as I sat on one of the desks.

“Nice flowers…they yours?”

She glanced up to where I was looking and a slight pink tinged at her cheeks. She nodded.

“Yes…a congratulations…I got into Met U.”

I smiled. I was happy for her. She’s been working for this for so long…I can see her name at The Daily Planet already…

“Chloe that’s amazing! I’m so proud of you.”

I went over and gave her a hug. I could feel her grin against my neck. I could hear the happiness in her voice when she spoke.

“Thanks Clark.”

She let go of me and we stood there…quietly. I’m pretty sure she was waiting for me to say something. I looked down then glanced back up. I took a deep breath and spoke.

“I’m sorry…I should have handled what you told me better…It was just…on top of everything else I was dealing with…now you knowing…I guess I was just scared.”

I saw a few crinkles on her forehead as she frowned.

“Scared…why would you be scared Clark? I don’t understand.”

I sat down and wouldn’t make eye contact with her while I spoke.

“Chloe…you know about my abilities…but you don’t…know why…why I have my abilities.”

The room was quiet for a whole minute before Chloe burst.

She sat in a chair across from me pulled it closer and leaned on her knees. There was a crease on her forehead and her voice came out curious and rather low, like she was telling a secret.

“You mean…you’re not…Meteor Infected?”

I chuckled at the interest in her eyes and the way her voice sounded. She rolled her eyes and knocked her foot into me.

“Well…are you going to tell me or what?”

I hesitated. Pete freaked out when I told him…maybe I shouldn’t tell Chloe while we’re at school incase she freaks out to. I kinda hope she doesn’t though…I mean I don’t know…

“Chloe…before I tell you this I need you to promise me something.”

She nodded frantically. The expression on her face was honest and her voice was serious.

“Anything Clark…”

I gave her a small smile.

“What I’m about to tell you…you can’t tell anyone Chloe.”

“I promise Clark.”

I nodded and sighed. Here goes nothing.

“Look, Chloe, there's a lot of things about me that even I don't understand. The meteor rocks--they didn't make me the way I am.”

She nodded.

“Obviously…as you just said before…So, you were born this way then?”

I nodded. My voice was strained.

“I wasn't born anywhere near Smallville. In fact, I wasn't born anywhere near this galaxy.”

I saw her eyes widen and she sat back in her chair. When I finally had the courage to look at her face she was she seemed stunned.

“Okay...okay...so that would make you an...”

Her voice cut off and she motioned for me to continue her thought. I nodded. My words cam out in a sigh.

“Yeah.”

She got up and walked around me, taking me in. She ended back in front of me. Her voice didn’t seem disgusted it seemed…intrigued.

“But you...you look so...”

I smirked.

“Human?”

Chloe stared at me. I got a sinking feeling in my gut and I sat up in my chair. I rushed to reassure her. I couldn’t lose Chloe…she was my best friend…she was…I don’t know but I know I can’t lose her…I don’t know what ‘d do if she looked at me like I’m a freak now…My voice was reassuring and nervous.

“I'm still the same person. Honest…I mean…”

She cut me off by bending down in front of me and placing a hand on my cheek. I gazed up and met her eyes. She grinned at me. Her voice was warm.

“Clark --I think you're so amazing. You save people's lives and take zero credit for it. To me, you're more than just a hero. You're a super hero.”

My eyes watered…I never knew how much her opinion meant to me until just now.

“Chloe—“

She shook her head and her voice came out strong.

“ No…I’m tired of this self deprecation. I'm serious, Clark. If more humans were like you, the world would be a better place.”

She couldn’t possibly know how much her words meant. I was so scared she would reject me because of what I am…and instead she did the exact opposite. This is why Chloe’s my best friend…why she means so much. I should have told her sooner…

“You're a good friend, Chloe.”

She got up and gave a small shrug as she walked away. Her voice was light but I could hear the underlined truth in her words.

“Obviously not good enough.”

I got up and followed her. I placed an hand on her arm and moved her so she was facing me. My voice was soft.

“There were so many times I wanted to tell you.”

She gave me a tiny smile and nodded. Her voice held no anger.

“Clark, I don't blame you. Loose lips sink ships and God knows I've sunk my share of floatilas. What about Lana? Does she know?”

My face got serious and I shook my head.

“No.”

She grinned and I chuckled before she got serious.

“Well, I want you to know, I'll never be the iceberg to your Titanic, and your secret will never ever leave my lips. No matter what.”

It was my turn to smile. I rubbed her shoulder.

“I appreciate that.”

She moved around and spoke lightly.

“Does anyone else know?”

“My parent’s and Pete.”

Her eyes opened wide.

“Pete knows! You told Pete but not me!”

I laughed and shrugged.

“Pete found my space ship.”

Her eyes went even bigger and her voice came out in a whine.

“Pete got to see your spaceship? I want to see it…”

I chuckled.

“Sorry Chlo, it was destroyed by yours truly…on accident of course.”

She gave me a playful glare.

“Mmmm of course.”

We were joking around for a bit when we heard the door open. I glanced over and frowned. Chloe stood still. Who was that?

(Chloe POV)

I glanced at the door and I think for the first time in my life I was speechless. There was a guy standing in the Torch doorway that looked like some kind of Greek god. My eyes roamed his body. He had pitch-black hair that was on the long side but not so long that it was un-masculine.

It came to right below his ears. His body was thick and lean at the same time. He wore denim jeans and a green Polo shirt. When I finally made my way to his face his smile was breathtaking and hid deep chocolate eyes were mesmerizing…Clark startled me out of my thoughts when he nudged my arm. I glanced at him confused and Clark rolled his eyes. His voice seemed perturbed as he spoke.

“He asked you a question.”

I shook my head and smiled at the stranger.

“Sorry I didn’t catch that…what did you say?”

He grinned wider and walked further into the room.

“It’s alright. I said my name is Phinnious. I’m new hear and I was wondering where I could find a Chloe Sullivan…”

I walked over and stuck out my hand. My voice was inviting when I spoke.

“Well you found her. Chloe Sullivan. Nice to meet you Phinnious.”

As he gently shook my hand he smiled.

“My friends call me Phin.”

I nodded and walked back over to the desk.

“So what can I do for you?”

He came over and glanced at Clark before ignoring him and turning in my direction. I almost laughed out loud at Clark’s indignant look.

“I just moved here from Metropolis and I was told that I should look for you if I wanted to join the school paper.”

I grinned. A Metropolis boy…be still my heart!

“You’re from Metropolis? So am I. You definitely came to the right place. Here umm…”

I looked around my desk for paperwork for new members of the paper…it’s been so long since we had one I couldn’t remember where it was. Ah Hah! I handed it to him.

“Just fill this out and we’ll get thing’s rolling.”

I heard Clark clear his throat and I glanced up. He motioned with his head to Phinnious. I rolled my eyes as Phin handed me back the paperwork.

“Wow…quick fingers.”

He smirked.

“That’s not all that’s quick.”

I blushed and Clark cleared his throat again. We both looked over at him this time. I shook my head and chuckled.

“Welcome to the Torch. Oh…by the way this is my friend Clark…he’s also on the paper also. Phin…meet Clark Kent.”

He turned to Clark and they shook hands. I saw some of the color leave Clarks face. I frowned. I cool breeze blew through the room and I felt chills go up and down my spine. I glanced around. What in the world…I looked back over at Clark and they pulled their hands away from each other. Phin looked startled and Clark looked sick. My voice came out concerned.

“You guys ok?”

Clark slowly nodded.

“Listen Chlo…I should get to class. Come over tonight for dinner?”

I nodded.

“Of course. I’ll see you later.”

He nodded and walked out. Phin watched him go and shook his head. He gave me a tight smile.

“I should get going to. I still need to go to the office and fill out paper work then find the rest of my classes.”

“Ok. Well stop by here tomorrow morning and we’ll work things out then ok?”

The tension left his face and he grinned.

“Sure thing…it was nice meeting you Chloe.”

“You too.”

And he was gone. I stood there for a few minutes extremely confused by what just happened. It was a beautiful day out…where did that cold air come from…it felt off…I shook my head. Again I’m imagining things. I looked at the clock. Crap I’m late for my next class…

I grabbed my stuff and rushed out of the door. I was definitely looking forward to the end of the day…today was turning out to be a better day then I thought it would. Clark’s talking to me again…he told me the truth…there’s a hot new guy on the paper…and I’m going to Clark’s for dinner…all and all I’d say today is shaping up pretty well…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)