December 7, 2008

Three Minutes Chapter (4/18)

http://haveatit-reportergirl.blogspot.com/2008/12/three-minutes-chapter-5.html

Chapter 4
(Chloe POV)



The sun shone bright through the windows. I groaned and moved my head out of the direct light. When I shifted I banged into something hard. What in the world is that? I opened one eye and was startled at what I saw. Sleeping contently next to me was Clark. Holy Mary mother of God…did I miss something? Oh my god was that not a dream last night?

I looked down and saw that I was clad in Clarks flannel and a pair of sweats. Ok so if that was a dream last night…what am I doing in bed with Clark. I guess all my moving around must have disturbed him because he rolled over and tossed an arm over me. As soon as his skin made contact with mine I felt his body stiffen. He slowly turned his head in my direction and when his sleep addled gaze fell on me I saw relief in his eyes. He rubbed his eyes a bit and turned to face me.

“Morning Chlo”

I raised a brow. He was acting like us waking up together in bed was a normal occurrence.

“Good morning to you too Mr. Kent. Might I ask how we ended up in bed together?”

His face turned a smidge red before he answered me.

“Don’t you remember last night?”

After a few minutes when my face was still blank and I hadn’t said anything he spoke again.

“You came over for dinner, mom made meatloaf? She left late last night for an early meeting this morning…we came up here and decided to hang out and watch movies…remember?”

He was looking at me with a Worried expression. I chuckled. Ahh yes now I remember. For a minute there I thought I was losing it. He smiled and plopped down on his back.

“I remember now…that meatloaf was delicious.”

He nodded.

“We must have fallen asleep during the movie.”

“Must have. All though I have to admit that was the first peaceful night’s rest I’ve had in a while.”

He turned on his side and glanced over my body. His brows creased.

“You haven’t been sleeping well? You should really tell Lois about the baby. Maybe she’d give you the bed that way it’ll be more comfortable to sleep.”

I grinned at his concern. It was sweet…but I wasn’t ready to tell Lois yet. I had another doctor’s appointment next week and I planned to tell her then. I laid on my back and looked up at the ceiling.

“I’m gonna tell Lois after my doctors appointment next week. But until then your mouth better be zipped Kent. Got it?”

I saw his headshake.

“Got it. So what’s this appointment for?”

I shrugged as I sat up in bed and leaned against the headboard.

“Not sure really. It’s the second trimester check up I guess.”

He nodded and got out of bed. He was going through his closet looking for something to wear and I was just staring at his back. I thought that when I started dating Jimmy my feelings for Clark had gone away. But it was made painfully clear to me in the past few weeks that, that was the furthest thing from the truth. I am still in love with Clark Kent. I moved my head so I wasn’t staring directly at him anymore. Spending all this time with him was making the ache worse and I wasn’t sure how much more I’d be able to take. He changed his shirt and went to the bathroom to change his pants. When he came back in the room he was fastening his father’s watch to his wrist.

“The baby is probably around 2.5 inches now. It should be fully developed to.”

I laughed at him. Only Clark would remember details like that after reading something once. His memory was practically photographic.

“Oh yea? So my baby actually looks like a baby now?”

He sat on the edge of the bed and nodded.

“Yup. If you want I can check…make sure everything is good.”

Clark was never one to use his abilities unless he was helping someone because he felt they were a burden and harmful to normal people around him. So on the rare occasion that he actually offered to use them I most definitely took him up on it.

“That be cool. This way I know what to expect when I go next week.”

I moved slightly onto my side and smoothed his shirt over my body. Not that it mattered but still. His look grew concentrated and his eyes squinted. After a couple of minutes I felt his hand reach out and brush my stomach. His face beamed with something I couldn’t name.

“He’s there Chlo…heartbeat sounds good…and the development looks just….amazing.”

I could hear the awe in his voice.
“He?”

Clark shrugged.

“I can’t keep calling the baby it Chloe. That’s rude.”

I smirked. only Clark would say it’s rude to call a baby it when he or she wasn’t even born yet.

“I see. Well then I’m going to call it her.”

“Sounds like a plan. Listen I’m gonna head out to the barn and do the morning chores. Come on down whenever you’re ready and keep me company ok?”

I gave an affirmative nod and he went downstairs. I dropped back down on the bed and sighed. Was it bad that I could get used to waking up to Clark in the morning? Probably…


(Clark POV)

I walked down the stairs feeling light. Waking up with Chloe…I can’t say it was a bad thing. She was…pleasant in the morning. The past few weeks have been really great. Ever since I came back from Seattle Chloe and I have been closer than ever. She’s been spending a lot of time here since my mom’s been away a lot because of her senate seat and that’s fine with me. She’s kind of crapped at the Talon with Lois and there’s plenty of room for her here. As I let my thoughts run ramped I walked out into the barn and saw a boy standing there. He couldn’t be more than eleven or twelve. He turned around to run from me when I called out to him.

“Hey! Wait. Hold on. What happened to you? Are you all right?”

He didn’t answer me so I thought I’d try again.

“You should get those cleaned up. Why don't you come inside? I promise, no one's gonna hurt you.”

I sighed in relief when he followed me into the house. When we got in the kitchen I motioned for him to sit down.

“So, I think we have milk, orange juice... and, uh, lemonade. Guess this would be easier if I spoke Spanish.”

I looked through the refrigerator for drinks.

“Orange juice, please.

I stopped for a second. His English is just fine. I shook my head as I pulled out the orange juice and faced him.

“Orange juice. Your English is perfect.”

“I watched a lot of American TV.”

I guess that made sense.

“Oh. And what's your name?”

He hesitated but when I placed the glass in front of him he took a large gulp and spoke.

“Javier.”

He seemed like a nice kid. I wonder what he’s running from. Maybe I can help.

“I'm Clark. So, Javier... why don't you tell me how you got all scraped up and why you were hiding in our barn?”

“Please promise you won't call the police.”

Well this doesn’t sound good. Usually when that comes out of someone’s mouth it’s because they know what they did would make someone call the police…but I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

“Why would I call the police?”

He looked down.

“Because I ran away from that farm down the road.”

Why would he run away from Jed McNally’s farm? He’s one of the nicest guys I know. He used to be friends with my dad before he died

“What, Jed McNally's?”

He nodded.

“If I ever wanted to see my mom again, I had to escape from that place.”

He sounded so sincere but I couldn’t imagine it being that bad over there.

“You talk about that farm like it's a prison.”

“It is. No one was allowed to leave. There was barely enough to eat. My friend and I, Francisco, tried to escape.”

He gave a heavy sigh.

“But we started running, and there was a really loud rumble. Then he was gone.”
People don’t just disappear. I should go look into it just in case. My super hearing kicked in and I heard the shower start. Ok that was a mental image I really couldn’t deal with at the moment. I mean just thinking about a wet and naked Chloe in my shower…OK enough bad thoughts. Chloe is just my friend that’s all. I put my attention back on Javier.

“Look, um, I'm sorry. I will have to call the sheriff.”

He jumped up from the tabled and started talking load and extremely frantic.

“No! You can't. I'm here illegally. They'll send me back to Mexico.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“Mexico? That's a long way from Smallville. How did you get here?”

He looked down, probably ashamed.

“Last week, a coyote smuggled 15 of us across the border in the back of a truck. I was supposed to be sent to see my mom. Instead I ended up at that farm.”

“Where's your mom now?”

“She works at a laundry company down in Granville. When my dad died, she moved up North. Saved up money for two years to get me here.”

I have to help him find his mom. No one this young should be without their parents if they could help it.

“Your mom must really miss you.”

“Yeah. See this? She gave me this... to keep me safe. I should've given it to Francisco. We did everything together. He was like a brother to me.”

He looked so sad. Hopefully his friend was alright and I’d be able to find him.

“Well, don't worry. We're gonna find your friend.”

He smiled and Chloe took that moment to grace us with her presence. Strange…I didn’t even hear the shower turn off. I must have been to busy concentrating on Javier. I looked over at her and she was in a pair of Jeans and one of Lois’s old shirts that she left here when she moved out. She looked beautiful. If I didn’t know she was almost thirteen weeks pregnant I would never have guessed it. Her skin was glowing and she had put on some weight in umm…certain areas. My eyes finally reached her face and she looked confused…Oh right…Javier was sitting in the kitchen. I guess it’s time for introductions.



(Chloe POV)

When I got down the stairs and into the kitchen I saw a boy who couldn’t be more than eleven sitting at the table with Clark. I’m telling you that boy picks up more strays then any person I know.

“Morning people…Clark…where’s my coffee?”

I looked around for a mug and my face scrunched up. He was leaning up against the counter and slid a glass over to me.

“Have some juice Chloe. No coffee…by the way this is Javier.”

Did he just say no coffee? To be honest I stopped listening after that. Clark and I have been over this a million times and we have agreed that I need to have at least a cup and a half of coffee a day or I’m no fun to be around. Therefore this was unacceptable. He started saying something else but I ignored him and cut him off.

“Clark Kent…I want my coffee right now!”

What was that noise…is he laughing at me. I glared in his direction and sure enough he was chuckling. I saw him face the boy and talk to him.

“Javier this is my friend Chloe. Don’t mind her she gets a little…tense when she doesn’t have caffeine in her system.”

He glanced over at me now and walked in my direction. He grabbed his coat and I eyed him suspiciously.

“I need a favor Chloe. I need you to watch Javier for a little bit while I run to the farm down the road to check something out.”

My arms were crossed over my chest and he leaned down and placed a feather light kiss on my cheek. Oh boy…that was new…and tingly. Before lifting his head back up his mouth lightly brushed against my ear. His voice was soft and warm.

“I’ll run over to the Talon on the way back and grab a cup of your favorite. Ok?”

Clark Kent…my hero. I nodded and he took off. I shook myself out of my daze and walked over to Javier. He looked a bit roughed up and his clothes were a little dirty. I wonder what his story was. I leaned with my elbows on the counter and smiled.

“So what brings you to the Kent farm?”

He was looking at the counter as he fiddled with his juice glass.

“I’m looking for my mom. She sent for me to come from Mexico…but when I got here I was taken to the farm down the road instead of to her.”

Oh my god. That’s horrible. My heart ached for him. Who would do that? Well if this is what Clark was checking out then coffee can wait. I’d have to get the info from Clark and start looking into this too. Anyone who would trick and kidnap a kid who seems this sweet…is a monster. I walked around and touched his are softly. When he looked up I gave him the friendliest smile I could.

“Clark will figure this out. He always does. How about some breakfast while we wait?”

He nodded and gave me a small smile. I turned toward the refrigerator and took out some eggs and more juice. I looked over my shoulder and spoke to him.

“I’m no Betty Crocker but how bout some eggs?”

“That’s great…thank you.”

His face lit up at the thought of someone cooking him some eggs…that lifted my spirits and broke my heart at the same time.


(Clark POV)

I just left the McNally farm. At first glass everything seemed on the up and up but I had a weird feeling. I tried to talk to some of the workers there but none of them spoke any English so it was a little hard to understand them. I’ll have to go back later and figure out how to have Javier translate for me. I got in my truck and drove to the Talon. I walked in and was waiting on line when the person in front of me who had already gotten their coffee turned around. It was Lana. She looked started when she saw me but after the initial shock she gave me a small smile. I don’t know what she’s so shocked about I mean we live in the same town. We’re bound to run into each other.

“Hey Clark…How are you?”

I moved up, ordered Chloe’s coffee, then turned my attention to Lana and smiled.

“Hey Lana. I’m good. You?”

The smile left her face and her stance changed. Great what did I do now? She was quiet for a second.

“Didn’t figure you for a morning coffee person…actually I didn’t know that you liked coffee.”

I was about to say something when I was cut off by a loud and annoying voice.

“Heya Smallville. Whatcha doing here so early?”

I groaned. Why oh why…I thought Chloe said Lois was spending the night at Oliver’s. Why is she home so early? I turned away from Lana for a minute.

“Lois…I thought you were out of town for a few days.”
She grinned and walked around the counter as I grabbed Chloe’s coffee. She stopped beside Lana an tilted her head playfully to the side.

“Checkin up on me Clarkie? How sweet. Hey Lana.”

Lana gave Lois a genuine smile.

“Hi Lois. How are you?”

“Can’t complain. And yourself?”

She nodded. And started to reach into her bag pulling something out.

“Good. I was actually hoping to run into you. I have an invitation to a charity event that Lex is hosting. He meant to send one to Oliver but his secretary messed up.”

She handed it over to Lois and she put it in her back pocket and looked over at the coffee in my hands. She raised a brow at me.

“That coffee wouldn’t happen to be for my favorite misplaced cousin…would it?”

Misplaced…what is she talking about. Chloe’s not misplaced.

“Huh?”

She rolled her eyes and pointed to my hand.

“Coffee….for…Chloe….Yes…No…this isn’t hard here Smallville. It’s a simple yes or no question.”

I glared at her.

“I understand the question but what do you mean misplaced? Chloe hasn’t been misplaced…she’s not an object Lois you can’t misplace a person.”

Lana eyed our conversation with amusement until she heard Lois’s next words.

“Chloe didn’t come home last night…”

Lana’s face got worried and she glanced at Lois.

“What do you mean? Is she ok? How do you know she didn’t come home?”

“The bed wasn’t slept in and besides have you looked at the clock? Chloe isn’t an early riser unless they call her in to the Planet and if that was the case she would have been to disorganized to make the bed.”

Now would be a wonderful time for me to exit. Lois and Lana were facing each other, so I slowly turned around and started for the front door. Six steps….Five….Four….Three…Two…

“Where do you think you’re going Smallville?”

Damn…I knew it was to good to be true. Things like this always happen to me. I can’t even catch a break. If they find out Chloe stayed with me Lana will automatically jump to conclusion and get mad at me. If I don’t tell them, then some how they’ll find out and Lana will get mad at me for not being honest with her…again. Either way I was gonna lose. Might as well face the music. I turned back around.

“I’m sure Chloe is fine Lois. Maybe…maybe she spent the night at…Jimmy’s.”

There that was a good excuse. Perfect if I do say so myself. But Lois had an evil glint in her eyes and a smirk on her face. She walked closer to me and Lana followed.

“No dice Smallville. Chloe and Jimmy broke up.”

That information sure as hell startled Lana. She whipped her head towards Lois.

“When?”

Lois shrugged.

“Not to long ago…I think a day or so after the whole disappearing Lex escapade.”

I chimed in trying to get their attention so I could leave. Chloe was gonna kill me. She had really wanted that coffee this morning and I’ve been gone for a good hour.

“Listen guys…wherever Chloe is I’m sure she’s fine. She’s a big girl. Now if you don’t mind I have to go. Lana it was g…good seeing you,”

I turned to Lois.

“Lois it’s never a pleasure.”

I started to walk out again and Lois called out to me.

“Tell Chloe that Mrs. Kent called me early this morning to let her know that she put her laptop on the bottom shelf of the bookcase in the living room. She wasn’t sure if she told her last night before she left and she said when she tried to call you guys this morning that no one answered.”

I stopped in my tracks. Busted! I moved my head so I was glancing at the girls from over my shoulder. I gave a sheepish smile and I’m sure I turned a little red. I shrugged and nodded.

“I’ll umm…let her know that. See you guys later.”

Before I moved my head back around I saw the dark look come over Lana’s face. Wonderful….because I don’t have enough trouble already…let’s add some to the plate. I got in my truck and drove home.


(Chloe POV)

The door opened with a creak as I was washing the dishes. I turned my head and saw Clark. He looked a bit frazzled. He closed the door, came over to me and put the coffee by the sink. He mumbled.

“Sorry it took so long.”

I wiped my hands on a towel, turned around and grabbed the coffee. I leaned against the sink waiting for him to spill.

“S’ok…what’s got that frown on your face?”

He shrugged and plopped into a chair.

“Where’s Javier?”

“Bathroom…Tell me”

I glared up at me lightly.

“Your nosey Chloe.”

I chucked an empty paper towel roll at him and he dodged it but smiled. I shook my head and walked closer to him.

“Clark…I’m a reporter. It’s my job to be nosey. Now spill.”

I wasn’t sure if the sound he made was a grunt or a sigh.

“I ran into Lois….and Lana at the Talon.”

My eyebrow scrunched together. I get why Lana was there but I thought Lois was supposed to be in Metropolis.

“Isn’t Lois supposed to be in Metropolis with Oliver?”

“Yea I thought that’s what you told me…but no she was there and apparently my mother called her this morning because she couldn’t get in touch with us. She wanted you to know your laptop was on the bottom shelf of the bookshelf. She wasn’t sure if she told you last night before she left.”

He seemed gloomy and I laughed. A good hearty laugh. Javier came out of the bathroom and looked back and forth between us.

“What’s so funny?”

That only made me laugh harder and Clark glared in my direction.

“This isn’t funny Chloe! Lois knows you didn’t spend the night at home and Lana looks pissed. I wouldn’t be surprised if she called you sometime soon for “details” about why you spent the night here.”

Just then Mrs. Kent walked into the house. She was on the phone with someone. Probably senator related.

“You know how I stand. Our budget issues shouldn't get in the way of one single classroom. Thank you. You won't regret it. Bye.”

She shut the door behind her. Her arms were full so I took some stuff from her and placed it on the table. She smiled her thanks. Clark glanced over at her.

“Mom, you're home early from Topeka.”

“The vote was postponed, which isn't so bad. Gives me time to shore up support. Is everything all right?”

His face got that look…the one that says “I’, guilty but you love me anyway”

“Um...”

Before he could finish she looked up startled as if she just remembered something.

“Oh Chloe honey, did you get the message about your laptop? I wasn’t sure if you had to go to the Planet this morning or not and I didn’t want you to have to search around the house.”

I grinned and Clark sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Yup..the message was received”

I chuckled a bit more. It was then that I noticed Javier had left the room. Where did that boy go now? I then saw the Deputy knock on the screen door. Clark and Mrs. Kent turned and faced him.

“Afternoon, Senator.”

Mrs. Kent looked confused.

“Hello. Is there a problem?”

“Well, a motorist saw a Latino boy running across highway 54, and he might be an undocumented worker. Have you seen anyone?”

She shook her head.

“I just got home. Clark, Chloe?”

Clark and I exchanged looks. This wasn’t good. They were looking for Javier, but why? What could that kid possible have done? I smiled at the deputy.

“I haven’t seen anyone this morning.”

The deputy lifted his hat a bit and looked over at Clark. He was moving around in his seat and I almost shook my head. Way to look innocent Kent.

“It seems like an awful lot of trouble just to catch one person.”

The deputy looked Clark over with suspicion. Then addressed Mrs. Kent.

“Well, not if he's in the country illegally. Do you mind if I look at your barn?”

“No. Go ahead.”

Clark stood up.

“Do you really have to search our property?”

OH MY GOD! Could here say any clearer “We’re hiding something” I really was gonna have to teach this boy about nonchalance. What would he do without me? Mrs. Kent looked at him funny.


“Clark, it's fine. We don't have anything to hide.”

I chimed in when it looked like he was about to burst. I walked over to Clark and put my hand on his arm and smiled in the deputy’s direction.

“He gets a little testy when people invade his privacy…the barn his like his “special” place…why don’t we go with you guys that way he know you’re not like touching his stuff or anything.”

Clark looked like he was going to die from mortification and when we followed them into the barn he gave me a look that said he’d get me back for my comment. I was looking forward to it.

The deputy searched through the barn and came up with nothing. Javier must have a really good hiding space. About five minutes later Clark spoke.

“No one seems to be here.”

“Well, it's best to be thorough. You'd be surprised where people can hide.”

Clark looked upset for a minute.

“You know, this kid isn't hurting anyone. Why not just let him be?”

The deputy looked back at him.

“I'm just doing my job, Clark. If you want to get into the country, you need to do it the legal way, like my parents did. If you see anything, give us a call.”

Clark and I nodded.

“Will do deputy.”

Mrs. Kent walked over.

“Let me walk you out deputy.”

“Thank you senator.”

And they left the barn. I nudged Clark to do his thing and he started concentrating on different things in the barn. Clark walked over to the cabinet in the barn and opened the door. Javier was crouched down inside. He spoke softly.

“You can come out now. He's gone.”

“How'd you know I was in there?”

I smiled and looked at Clark

“Yeah Clark…how’d you know where to find him?”

He glazed at me and glared.

“I used to play a lot of hide-and-seek when I was a kid.”

“Why didn't you tell the police?”

He shrugged.

“Because I know what it feels like to be out of place. Besides, I'm not from around here, either.”

Javier nodded and we all went inside the house. After settling down Clark explained to Javier what happened at the McNally farm. Not to long later he left, leaving Javier and I alone. I looked at him sitting on the couch looking like he just lost his puppy and an overwhelming feeling to protect him enveloped me. I put my hand on my stomach and rubbed it. If it was my son…I’d want someone to take care of him…make sure he was ok and then contact me as soon as possible. I tapped him on his knee and he looked up.

“What do you say we get on the Net and find your mom buddy?”

And look a little deeper into Mr. McNally while were at it.

His face beamed and we got out my laptop and started the hunt.

(Clark POV)

I left Chloe to take care of Javier and went back to the McNally farm. I spoke with and older man and a young boy who translated for me. Apparently the ground swallowed Javier’s friend Francisco. After talking to them I used my x-ray vision to look underneath the ground. Oh my god… dead bodies were littered everywhere. I called the Sheriff and let him know what was going on. At first he thought it was a prank but when I told him who I was he said he would get his men together and come out to take a look. When I hung up I opened the phone back up and called Chloe. Come on pick up…pick up.

“Hey Clark…what’s up? What’d you find?”

I could hear Javier in the background asking about Francisco.

“Chloe, that place is a graveyard. There's bodies buried everywhere. I called the sheriff. He's on his way to McNally's farm.”

She took a deep breath and lowered her voice.

“I took a look at the farm's property records. Guess which Fortune 500 Company so graciously came in and purchased the land after it had been pummeled during the last meteor shower?”

Of course. Lex…who else

“Luthorcorp….

“You got it.”

“Can you stay at the farm with Javier a little longer? I'll be back soon.”

“Of course.”

I disconnected the call and left. It was time I paid Lex a visit. I wasn’t going to let him get away with this. I might not be able to pin him for Chloe…but I will pin him for this. When I got there I sped inside and then stopped I took a deep breath and roughly pushed open the double doors to his study. He looked up at me and closed his laptop. He leaned back in his chair and stared hard at me.

“I thought I told you you're no longer a welcome guest at the mansion.”

“Trust me, Lex --I don't want to be here, either. But after what you've done –“

He abruptly got up from his seat.

“And exactly what did I do? Did I swat at a fly with too much force?”

He grinned.

“Or are you going to accuse me of kidnapping Chloe again…all though I hear that your keeping her extra close so things like that no longer happen.”

I glared hard at him and had to stop myself from using my heat vision on him.

“ This isn’t about Chloe. But while we’re on the subject I don’t want you anywhere near her. If I find out you came anywhere near her I’ll…”

He cut me off and gave a dark chuckle.

“You’ll what Clark? Lecture me to death. Chloe’s a big girl she can take care of herself…but anyway you came here for a reason? Because I have things to do.”

I shook my head he was right. This isn’t about Chloe, it’s about Javier.

“I know you want to make money, Lex, at any cost, but exploiting and murdering migrant workers? Is that really worth the bottom line?”

He turned around and poured himself something to drink. He had a smirk on his face.

“Clark, if you're going to accuse me of murder, you might want to have the facts to back it up.”

“Last year, Luthorcorp bought Jed McNally's farm, and any illegal immigrant who didn't want to be used as forced labor was buried in a cornfield.”

He faced me.

“I don't know what you're talking about. But then I could quote you "The Farmers' Almanac," and you'd still call me a liar.”

I was grasping at straws now but I wanted to get to him. The way he gets to me. I used to consider Lex a friend…I thought that despite where he came from that he could break free from what he didn’t want to become. I saw some good in him and so I made him a part of my life and in doing so I began to trust him. I thought despite what everyone said he was a good man…I won’t make that mistake again.

“What do you think Lana would do if she found out about this?”
Lex’s eyes got hard and cold for a minute before he realized he was showing weakness. The mask came back quickly and he looked me dead in the eye and his grin left a bad feeling in my mouth. His voice was cocky.

“Well, we could ask her, except she's on her way to Amsterdam on my jet. I wasn't able to clear my schedule in time to go with.”

Go ahead Lex…play the Lana card all you want. It’s not going to work anymore. I won’t let it.

“You should know I've told the sheriff about this, so you can save your lies about Luthorcorp for him.”

With that I turned to go when Lex’s words stopped me.

“Who dug up the information that LuthorCorp was involved…Chloe?”

His voice was calm and I turned slowly and my eyes were fierce with anger.

“Does it matter?”

He shrugged.

“You really shouldn’t keep putting her in the middle of things with you and I Clark. She might get hurt. I mean what would you ever do if your trusted ally was no longer around anymore?”

I walked over until I was right in front of him eye to eye. My voice was hard. I could barely control myself.

“Is that a threat Lex?”

He smiled at me.

“Just a question Clark.”

I looked at him for a couple of more seconds and then I turned around. If I didn’t leave right now I was gonna hurt Lex…so I just walked away. When I opened the door I paused but didn’t look back.

“I’m only gonna say it once Lex…leave Chloe alone. I won’t let you hurt her.”

Right as I was stepping out of the room he spoke but I didn’t stop.

“You can’t be there for them every second of everyday Clark. That one minute is all that’s needed.”

I slammed the doors and sped out of there. I was breathing hard and I stopped when I got outside the McNally farm. My body was tense and I couldn’t unclench my fists. Oh god…he said THEM. He said I couldn’t be there for them every minute…he knows about the baby…what am I going to tell Chloe? I looked up and saw the police and several dug up bodies around the farm. I needed to concentrate on this for the moment. I would get this done and get Javier home safe and sound. Then I’d worry about Lex. for right now Chloe is safe and that’s all I needed to know.

(Chloe POV)

While we were searching for where in Granville Javier’s mom was I decided to go into The Planets archives and do a little digging on Jed McNally and what I found really didn’t surprise me any and that’s…kinda sad. The guy is 100% Meteor Freak. The bad kind and in a bad way. He was buried for three days under piles of Kryptonite. Which I guess is how he buried all those people under the ground. Not completely sure though since I haven’t heard back from Clark yet. Then my computer dinged and I looked up. Bingo! I found Javier’s mom. I looked over at him and he was practically asleep on the couch. Poor kid.

“Hey…Javier.”

“Hmm”

“I found your mom.”

He sat straight up.

“You did? Where? Can we go?”

I nodded and smiled. We got up and I grabbed the keys to my car. We headed off to Granville. His mother works at a laundry mat. The car was quiet on the way over there. He seemed anxious and happy at the same time. When we finally got there I told him to wait in the car. I just wanted to check it out and make sure that this was really his mom. I saw a women walking out that fit her description.

“Uh, excuse me. Hi. I'm just looking for Esperanza Ramirez.”

She started to walk away.

“ Wait please…Are you Esperanza? I know your son, Javier.”

She stopped.

“Javier? He's in America?”

I nodded and smiled.

“Yeah we’ve been looking for you.”

“Where is he?”

I pointed to the car in the distance.

He's in the car. I can take you to him.”

She had tears in her eyes.

“Yes…please”

We walked over to the car and as soon as Javier saw she was with me he threw open the door and ran in our direction.

“Mom!”

She opened her arms and he jumped in.

“Javier. Are you okay? What happened?”

He shrugged.

“Clark and Chloe helped me find you…I’ve been looking...I’m fine…I…”

His voice cut off as they hugged and he let a few tears slip. Chloe you’re not going to cry…
She looked at me with tears running down her face.

“Thank…thank you so much for helping my son.”

“Your welcome.”

I left him with his mom and started back to Smallville. As I was driving down the road my cell phone went off. I grabbed it off the seat and answered it.

“Hello?”

The voice was full of relief.

“Chloe where are you? I called you three times and you didn’t answer.”

I rolled my eyes and turned onto the main road.

“Clark relax. Everything’s fine. I just dropped Javier off in Grandville with his mom. You should have seen it Clark. It was so beautiful…”

“That’s great Chloe…so he’s ok?”

“Yup…oh hold on a second someone else is calling me.”

“Chloe wait I…”

But I clicked over anyway. Sometimes Clark really worries too much if he wasn’t invincible I would say he’s gonna put himself in an early grave.

“Hello.”

“Hey Chloe.”

I sighed softly. Clark called this one.

“Hey Lana…what’s up?”

I could hear her shuffling through some papers as she spoke.

“Not much I just got back from Amsterdam.”

I see she’s getting used to the life of luxury.

“That’s nice. Soo did you need something? Because I don’t mean to rush but I’m driving back from Grandville and it’s getting dark so I want to try and pay attention to the turn offs.”

My voice was non confrontational and I’m pretty sure she knew that.

“Oh ok sure. Sorry Chloe I just…I have something I need to tall you but I want to do it in person. So I was just calling to see if you’d be available for lunch tomorrow?”

She had to tell me something….Hmm she didn’t even ask about Clark that’s weird. She’d probably ask in person.

“Sure Lana anytime for you. I working at The Planet tomorrow so how about around one?”

“Great I’ll meet you there.”

“Ok talk to you later.”

“Bye”

And I hung up. I clicked back over to Clark but he was gone. I laughed he didn’t like to wait. About ten minutes later I saw the sign for Smallville. I let out a breath. Shouldn’t be too much longer before I get back to the farm. I have to pick up my computer and then go home. My cell phone rang again and I shook my head. He is the most annoying person in the world. But I love it. I answered it.

“Yes Clark?”

“How’d you know it was me?”

I chuckled.
“You’re the only person who calls me 80 times a day. Why’d you hang up on me before?”

“Sorry. Shelby jumped up onto the couch in the loft and took the phone right out of my hand!”

I laughed.

“See even he thinks you cal me to much.”

It was quiet.

“How far away are you?”

I looked over to the radio and changed the station.

“Ten minutes maybe.”

As I looked up I saw two blinding white lights.

“What the hell?”

I spoke out loud and slammed on the breaks as the car screeched along the highway. The last thing I remember was Clark yelling my name over the phone before everything went black.

(Clark POV)

We were talking and then all of a sudden I heard her yell.

“What the hell?”

I heard the car breaks screeching and then I heard a massive crunch of metal against metal. I yelled out to her as I super sped out of the farm and to the highway. She never answered me and when I got to where she was I saw why. Her car was flipped over in a ditch on the side of the road. I dropped my phone to the ground in shock. I couldn’t breath.

“Oh god…..Chloe…”

I was at the car in seconds and I saw Chloe still in her seat. She was knocked out and there was a good amount of blood pooling by her head. I ripped off the door and the gently untangled her body from the car. I sped to the hospital.

“Help me! Some one help me please…”

My voice broke and a nurse flew over then two orderlies and a doctor. They asked me a whole bunch of questions…I only answered a few before my head just wouldn’t work anymore. What if she wasn’t ok? What am I gonna do? Do they need to know about the baby? My last thought sent chills up my spine. LEX…I sat in the hospital chair and put my head in my hands. I wasn’t there…I let this happen…I needed to call Lois and my mom. I went to the front desk and they let me use the phone. I dialed the numbers slowly. The voice on the other end was cheery.

“What in the world do you want Smallville…I’m busy.”

I could hear Oliver laughing in the background. My voice hurt…my heart hurt. I cleared my throat but my voice still came out horse.

“Lois…”

She must have sensed by my voice something was wrong cause all playfulness left her.

“Clark what’s wrong?”

It took a while for me to get it out.

“There’s…there’s been an….accident…Chloe..”

I just couldn’t I was so close to tears. I heard Lois on the line getting things together and she was saying something to Oliver I didn’t know what…the last thing I heard was her telling me that her and Oliver where on there way…

“Everything’s gonna be ok Clark…we’ll be there soon…”
I didn’t even respond…just hung up. I felt defeated and I slumped back into the small plastic chair…and began the waiting game..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)