December 7, 2008

Three Minutes Chapter (5/18)

http://haveatit-reportergirl.blogspot.com/2008/12/three-minutes-chapter-6.html

Chapter 5 Part A
(Clark POV)



It’s been four hours and thirty minutes since Chloe was in the accident. Three hours and thirty minutes since I called Lois. Two hours and fifty minutes since I called my mom. An hour and a half since Lois got here with Oliver. Forty-five minutes since Chloe flat-lined in the ER. Forty-three minutes since they got her back. Fifteen minutes since my mom and Lionel got here and five minutes since the nurse said a doctor would be with us shortly.

I felt someone shaking my shoulder so I glanced in their direction quietly. It was Lois. She was standing there in front of me. Nose red, eyes watery, but no tears. She was holding a cup of coffee. She looked distraught. As a matter a fact as I looked around I noticed we all did. My mom was sitting next to me and she was crying. Oliver was standing by Lois rubbing her back with a solemn look on his face. Even Lionel was here. He was sitting next to my mother speaking with her gently. And even behind his mask of indifference I could see the worry in his eyes.

“Clark…here have some water.”

It was then that I noticed the second cup in her hand. I shook my head. She sighed and sat across from me. All of a sudden she snapped and yelled at me

“Smallville! You need to snap out of it! We need to know what happened to Chloe…Pay attention to me! How did she end up here Clark….Are you even in there!”

She was leaning out of her seat and I saw her hands shaking. Oliver leaned forward and pulled her back against him as much as the chairs allowed. I looked at her and then just looked away. I was concentrating. Because if I concentrated hard enough I could hear what was going on with Chloe. I could tell where she was, what they were doing to her, and how she was responding. I didn’t understand most of it but at least I knew she was still there. So I tuned everyone else out. I just needed to hear Chloe. I heard Oliver talking to Lois.

“Lois…baby try to calm down. Yelling at Clark isn’t going to get you any answers. He’s just as upset as you are. Leave him be…the nurse said the doctor would be out in a minute.”

Her body tensed then relaxed against him. As I was listening for Chloe my hearing picked up a familiar voice. Was that Lana? Who called her? Not me…to be honest I completely forgot to. I only called two people my mom and Lois. I looked up as the voice got closer and when she turned the corner I nearly broke the chair in half from gripping it so tight. My eyes narrowed and my body tensed. She was standing there speaking to the nurse at the reception desk who was pointing our way and next to her stood Lex. I’m going to kill him. Before I even realized what was happening there was a bustle of commotion in the waiting area. I had run up to Lex, grabbed him by the throat and pushed him against the wall.

It was like I didn’t even have control over my body. I was seeing everything that was going on but I wasn’t doing it. It was like being in car and having it on autopilot.

“YOU! YOU DID THIS TO HER!”

I squeezed tighter. I heard Lana yelling in the background.

“OH MY GOD! CLARK! CLARK STOP!!!”

She was pulling on my arm but it didn’t budge. Oliver was next in line grabbing my other arm. Talking softly to me.

“Come on Clark…you need to relax Chloe wouldn’t want you to do this. Chloe wouldn’t want you to hurt a person.”

I glared at Oliver then looked back at Lex and spoke with a steely voice.

“He’s not a person he’s a monster.”

Lex was grabbing at the hand on his throat. My mother and Lionel got up and the nurses called security. I was yelling again right in Lex’s face.

“WHY CHLOE LEX? WHERE DOES SHE FIT INTO YOUR PLANS? HUH? ANSWER ME!!! THIS IS YOUR FAULT…your fault she’s in there”

Right as the security guards got there and everyone was pulling on me it was almost like my body was drained of all its energy. I let go of him and stumbled back. He collapsed and Lana was at his side in an instant. My mother, Lionel, and Oliver were leading me back to a plastic chair. As I looked up I saw the only person who wasn’t pulling me away from Lex. Lois…she stood there not far away from him and Lana. Our eyes met and I saw respect and curiosity in hers. I don’t think she realized how much I was hurting until just then. She took my silence as a lack of caring, but now she saw it was because I cared too much.

One of the doctors came out and looked at all of us and some of the broken things that I hadn’t even realized I broke.

“What is going on out here people?”

My mom was the first to speak.

“I’m...I’m so sorry doctor. My son…he’s having a hard time coping at the moment…he’s confused…”

She trailed off and Lana helped Lex off the floor. There was a nasty looking mark on his neck from where I grabbed him. Good I hope it hurt….

Just then Lana spoke up with a look of horror on her face and disbelief in her voice.

“Confused? Mrs. Kent with all due respect he almost killed Lex. if we hadn’t gotten Clark off in time…Well Lex wouldn’t be standing here right now…he’d be lying in the morgue.”

Lionel stepped up then.

“Lana there is no need to overestimate what Clark has done here. He was never going to kill Lex he was simply upset and as you well know we all show our anger differently. Lex seems to be fine for the moment. Aren’t you son?”

“Yea dad just great.”

His voice was extremely horse and he cleared his throat a few times. Lex looked over at me.

“Again…another one of Clark Kent’s half cocked accusations. I haven’t done anything to Chloe. I’ve been with Lana all night. We just came down when we heard what happened. Since Lana and Chloe are so close I’m prepared to bring in the best doctor’s for her…”

I shot out of my seat and cut him off. I yelled unabashedly.

“I don’t want your doctors anywhere near Chloe Lex. STAY AWAY FROM HER…YOU’VE DONE ENOUGH.”

I didn’t realize I was edging closer to him until Lois caught my arm.

“Take it easy there tiger. We don’t need them kicking you out of the hospital…Chloe needs you here.”

I nodded and stepped back. Lex started to argue with Lionel, then Lana joined in, next Lois and when Lex once again insisted on having “his” doctors come I added myself in.

“Stop it! All of you! This is not what Miss Sullivan needs right now. Now I want everyone who is not family to leave this hospital now. She is in ICU and is only allowed visits by family therefore everyone else needs to go.”

I wasn’t going anywhere. He couldn’t make me leave. Unfortunately the doctor knows who I am so I can’t say that I’m related to Chloe…but maybe…Hmmm I have an idea. I looked around the room and no one was leaving. The doctor seemed to realize this too and spoke.

“I’m not releasing her condition to anyone but family…Ok we’ll do this the hard way then”

He got the security guards at the ready and looked over at Lois.

“What’s your relationship to miss Sullivan?”

“She’s my cousin. I’m her only blood relative in the states at the moment.”

He nodded and looked to Oliver.

“And you?”

He wrapped an arm around Lois.

“I am Lois’s fiancĂ©.”

The doctor looked between the two and then proceeded to ask the same question to Lex, Lana, and Lionel who were all told to leave when he found out they weren’t related to Chloe. Lana looked over at me and pointed me out to the doctor.

“If he can stay then so can we. He isn’t family.”

The doctor paused but looked back over at me.

“She’s right Mr. Kent…senator…family only.”

I shook my head.

“I’m not leaving.”

The doctor sighed.

“Mr. Kent..”

I cut him off.

“She’s pregnant,”

Five people in the room looked startled.

“with my baby.”

When the next part of my sentence came out you could here a pin drop. I had six pairs of eyes staring wide-eyed at me like they had just seen a ghost. I could hear commotion coming from everyone and I knew exactly who was saying what.

“Oh my god….” Lana

“Clark..what…are your sure about this?” mom, I knew what she meant. Was I sure about this lie.

“My word…this is quite the development.” Lionel

“I have never been so happy not to be Clark in my life” Oliver

“I gonna kill you smallville!” I cringed. Lois

Soft laughter that was barely audible but I heard it. Lex.

Even the doctor looked semi shocked.

“Ok well…I see….if you four could go…when miss Sullivan is moved out of ICU she’ll be able to have regular visitors.”
Lana, Lex, my mom, and Lionel all left and Oliver, Lois and I stayed there with the doctor. Lois kept shooting me these deadly looks and at the moment I was glad she didn’t have heat vision because I surly would have been incinerated by now. The doctor cleared his throat and opened Chloe’s file. When he spoke he mostly addressed Lois but glanced and Oliver and I every once in a while.

“Your cousin was in an extremely bad car accident this evening. When we saw photos of her vehicle from the police we were surprised there wasn’t more extensive damage to her person…not that what she had wasn’t enough. She has bruising going up and down her left arm and right leg. A few on her face and shoulders. He left wrist is fractured in two different places, there’s a large gash on her forehead that needed ten stitches, some internal bleeding, a sprained ankle, four bruised ribs, a few scrapes and scratches and a concussion.”

Lois was letting a few tears leak out openly. My jaw was set tight and I tried not to image Chloe like that.

“What about the baby? Is the baby ok? Is Chloe going to be ok?”

The doctor hesitated for a brief moment before speaking again.

“At the moment the baby is still alive yes…but I need to tell you that the next 48 hours are critical to both Chloe and her baby.”

I nodded. Thank god. They were both ok…for now anyway but still…there alive. I heard Lois talking so I stopped to listen.

“Can we see her?”

“Yes one at a time…the nurse will take you down.”

We all nodded and he left. Lois was the first to go and when she left it was just Oliver and me standing in the middle of the waiting room. I decided to sit and wait and Oliver followed me to the chairs. Oliver broke the silence.

“She’s a strong girl Clark. She’ll be fine.”

I nodded. I hoped he was right…I don’t know what I’d do if…

“So…a baby huh?”

I looked at him and then turned my eyes away.

“Yup.”

“How far into the pregnancy is Chloe? I mean is this a recent thing because Lois…”

I thought about it for a second. We were just talking about it this morning weren’t we?

“About 12 weeks and some change. She has a second trimester check up next week.”

He looked a little surprised and a small grin escaped from him mouth.

“Wow that’s…that’s big. As soon as Chloe is back on her feet and running amuck Lois is gonna kill you man.”

I let a ghost of a smile slip onto my mouth. I could see that happening.

“So you’re gonna be a dad…are you ready for something like that Clark?”

I was about to say something when Lois appeared with the nurse around the bend. I stood up. She looked worse for the wear. They came up to us and Lois just hugged Oliver. She wasn’t crying but she was holding onto Oliver like he was her lifeline.

“Who’s the next person?”

The nurse’s voice was calming and quiet. I stood up quickly.

“I am.”

She gave me a warm smile and led me down to Chloe’s room. I was getting extremely nervous. I can’t imagine what Chloe looked like. I have to be strong she needs me right now and I wont let her sown again. We paused outside a large room with glass windows around it. I could see the lump that was Chloe in the bed but I couldn’t get a good enough angle from my position to see the extent of damage done.

She’s not conscious at the moment but they say that talking to her can help. Try to keep all things negative away from the room ok?”

I nodded and she told me I could go in. I took a deep breath and pushed opened the door. What I saw lying there caused a tear to roll down my cheek. I moved over to the bed and sat in the chair Lois must have placed there. I gently picked up her hand and clasped both of my around it.

“God Chloe….oh god I’m soo…sooo sorry for not getting there in time.”

I looked down and faced our hands.

“You were counting on me to keep the two of you safe…and I failed. The one thing I never wanted to fail at.”

I paused and gathered myself for a few seconds.

“Chloe listen to me…if you wake up I promise you…I won’t let anything else happen to you no matter what. I’ll stand by you, I won’t leave your side…I’ll…I’ll do a better job at protecting you. Just…just come back to me…I don’t know what I’d do without you Chloe…I’d be lost. You mean a lot more to me than you know…I can’t…I can’t lose you…”

I just put my head on top of our hands and closed my eyes silently willing her to wake up. To come back to me.

I always knew Chloe was important to me…there was never any question of that. I just never realized how important. I almost killed Lex tonight because of this. But Lois was right as much as Chloe hate’s Lex she wouldn’t have wanted me to have the guilt of murder on my shoulders. She’d tell me I was better than that and there are other ways to handle things even with a Luthor.

I don’t know how long I was there in her room but I really didn’t care…I’d stay as long as it took for her to wake up. I leaned my head back and continued my vigil at Chloe’s bedside.


(Lois POV)

It’s been an hour and a half since Smallville went into Chloe’s room. Oliver just ran to get me some tea. He said I needed to detox all the caffeine in my system because that was what was making me so jittery. When Chloe was up and running we were going to have to talk about the baby issue. I could totally deal with Chloe being pregnant. I’m a little hurt she didn’t say anything but I’ll be there for her no question about it. She’s blood, almost like a sister to me. I’m not entirely sure I can deal wit the kid being Smallville’s though .Speaking of Smallville I’m gonna kill him. He knocked up my baby cousin. Hasn’t he heard the saying “no glove no love”? I shook my head when I saw Oliver heading back. He sat down and handed me the cup.

“Thanks Ollie.”

“No problem…Clark still hasn’t come out yet?”

He looked worriedly in the direction the nurse steered Clark earlier.

“No…I’m sure everything is ok….he probably just needs some time with her. You know hoe Smallville gets….he and Chloe are close friends.

Oliver grinned and tried to break the tension. His head motioned out.

“Well obviously very close friends.”

Half of my mouth tweaked into a grin before I hit him. He smiled and put an arm around me. I leaned into him and thought back to earlier. I never thought Clark had it in him to attack Lex. especially with everyone around like that.

There’s only time I’ve seen him like that and, even then I didn’t think he was as bad as he was tonight, was when that girl Alicia was killed. As much as Smallville annoys the crap out of me I had to admit he was a good guy. He might have cause Chloe some heart ache in the past with the whole Lana thing but he was always there when it counted. But tonight I saw something there that I wasn’t even sure Clark himself noticed yet.

Love…I’m pretty sure that Clark Kent was in love with my cousin and he didn’t even recognize the feeling. That just goes to show you what his experiences with love has been like if he can’t even realize he’s fallen into it.

I like Lana…honest I do. She’s a pretty cool person by my standards and trust me there high. But I never did see her and Clark together. I remember the first time I met up with her at Chloe’s fake grave…I was shocked to find out she had, had a thing with Clark.

I’m not expert on Clark but with the way he acts it seems he needs someone whose patient and understanding and Lana really doesn’t embody those two qualities. At least not when it comes to Clark. I mean jeez everyone has secrets even me and Oliver…is that any reason to not be in a relationship with them? If you love someone you stay with them despite quirks, nuances, and a tendency to keep the occasional thing from you.

True all relationships are built on trust and honesty…and maybe that should have been Smallville’s first clue that he didn’t belong with Lana. He should have woken up and smelt the damn rose bush along time ago because all this time Chloe had been waiting and he’s hurt her so much. Unintentional or not I wasn’t going to let him hurt her again. I know he’s a good guy and I trust he’ll take care of Chloe physically but as much as I saw that he cared about her I wasn’t going to give him another shot caring for her heart…he’s broken it to many times already…

Oliver nudged me out of my thoughts. Lois it’s been three and a half hours…maybe you should check on Clark.”

It’s been that long already…jeez my mind sure cared me away. I nodded and stood I’ll.

“I’ll go bring him back. Poor Chloe…having to spend all that time with Clark.”

Oliver smiled warmly at me and I smirked at him before walking off to retrieve Clark. When I got to Chloe’s room what I saw chocked me up a bit…but I wouldn’t cry. There was Clark leaning over in the small plastic chair that his big frame barely fit in with one hand clasped around Chloe’s and the other on her abdomen. His head was slightly buried in the nook of her shoulder and neck and his breathing was even. There were a few stray tear marks on his face but aside from that he looked…peaceful there next to her. Not at all like the boy who had been sitting in the waiting room with us earlier. I kinda even felt bad for having to wake him up…maybe I wouldn’t…maybe I’d just let them sleep. I don’t know what possessed me to but I took out my cell phone and snapped a picture of the two of them. This is the most serene I have ever seen either of them…

(Clark POV)

It’s been almost three days. Chloe was moved out of ICU today and put in a extremely expensive private room courtesy of Lionel. At this point I didn’t even care that he spent all this money normally I wouldn’t like being indebted to him…but this was Chloe. She still hasn’t woken up yet and to be honest I’m starting to get a little frantic. The baby is doing better the doctor said it’s practically a miracle that the baby is responding so well. He said the strength of the heartbeat and growth process of the fetus are picking up astonishingly. Oliver dragged Lois home about 15 minutes ago. Something about him wanting her to get some food a shower and what not.

Olive said I should come but he’s crazy. I’m not leaving Chloe. The last time I did look what happened. Chloe could have regular visitors now so my mom stopped by a few hours ago as did Lionel they were heading out to a senate thing. Mom didn’t want to go but she was obligated to.

I was sitting in the room reading a magazine to Chloe when there was a knock on the door and it opened. It was Lana. She poked her head in.

“Can I come in?”

I stretched and nodded. She walked in and stood there awkwardly. She glanced over my body and frowned.

“Clark how long have you been here? You look…tired”

“I haven’t left yet.”

She gasped.

“It’s been practically three days Clark. You need to go home…get some rest…change. You won’t be any good to Chloe if you run yourself ragged.”

“I’m not leaving her…”

she put a hand on my shoulder and I flinched.

“Clark..”

I didn’t let her finish I shrugged her arm off of me and looked into her eyes.

“I’m. Not. Leaving.”

She looked upset but she nodded and walked to the other side of Chloe’s bed. She sat in the chair there and I tuned her out while she talked to Chloe for a bit. I wanted to give her privacy but I didn’t want to leave Chloe. After a good twenty-five minutes Lana addressed me.

“Are you feeling…better then the last time I saw you?”

The hesitation in her voice killed me. I scared the crap out of Lana the last time she saw me and I couldn’t blame it on anything but myself this time.
“Not really.”

It was quiet and then she cleared her throat.

“Why didn’t you tell me Clark?”

“Tell you?”

“About you and Chloe….about the baby…is that why her and Jimmy broke up?”


Her voice sounded pained like it was killing her to get out those words. Once Chloe was out of ICU I had fully planned on telling everyone the truth. That the baby wasn’t mine. Unfortunately though my head apparently wasn’t working right today.

“I don’t recall you telling me that you were with Lex when you two first got together.”

She looked like I slapped her.

“I did to tell you Clark!”

I shook my head.

“You told me when you couldn’t hide it anymore. I know you were dating before you told me because I saw you…I went to see Lex one day…and I saw you two…kissing each other. So spare me playing the innocent here Lana. I really don’t have the patients for it today.”

Again her look was stricken.

“Clark I’m so sorry…I..”

I waved her off.

“It’s in the past now. Forget about it.”

“Since we’re being honest here with each other Clark I have something to tell you that I probably should have told you weeks ago. I was going to tell Chloe the other day…I called her the day of her accident. We were going to meet up the next day to talk.”

She paused and I watched her fidgeting. She stood up and paced before facing me.

“I’m pregnant Clark…Lex and I…we’re going to have a baby.”

I froze. Oh god…this isn’t happening.

“Clark…Clark are you ok I just thought…”

“Get out Lana.”

She seemed startled. Like that was the last thing she expected me to say.

“What?”

“I said GET OUT. I didn’t think you were hard of hearing.”

She got mad now.

“What the hell is your problem Clark? I’m just trying to be honest with you!”

I gave a cynical chuckle.

“And you choose to do this here why? Dammit Lana Chloe is lying in a hospital bed and I know your not stupid you hard to know that telling me this…news that it was gonna hurt me. But you did it anyway. I have enough to deal with, without adding this to the list.”

I shook my head.

“ I just thought…”

“I know what you thought Lana. Your were mad…you found out about the baby and you wanted to hurt me as much as I hurt you. Well congratulations you’ve succeeded…are you happy now?”

Tears welled in her eyes and she left the room without another word. I slid down in the chair and held tight to Chloe’s hand…My life is falling apart and I have no idea how to pick up the pieces….




















Chapter 5 Part B

(Clark POV)

I felt a warm hand brushing the hair away from my face. I kept my eyes squeezed shut. Oh god…Chloe?…I opened my eyes slowly and saw…my mom. Her face changed to sadness when she saw the look of disappointment take over my face. I lifted my head and rubbed my face with my hand.

“Hey mom. What time is it?”

She looked down at her watch.

“About nine…in the morning. Clark honey how long have you been here?”

I shrugged. I knew exactly how long I’ve been here. Three days and thirteen hours. But I wasn’t going to tell her that. She’d make me go home and I wasn’t leaving Chloe. She touched my arm and rubbed it a bit.

“Clark you can’t keep doing this to yourself. Both Lana and Lois have called me several times saying that you refuse to leave the hospital. How in the world are you going to make sure Chloe is all right if you refuse to take care of yourself? I have no idea what your running on Clark because that tank of yours is way past empty.”

I sighed. Didn’t anyone understand that I couldn’t leave Chloe? The minute I leave something will go wrong I know it; I can feel it in my gut. I leaned back in the chair and stretched my legs. I have been thinking a lot lately about Chloe…about what’s important to me…and about how to keep the people I care about most in the world safe from people like Lex. I turned my head to the side and looked up at my mom. She gave me a small smile and I returned it the best I could.

“Mom…”

“Yes Clark?”

I paused.

“I think Chloe should move in with us.”

My mother looked at me like I had six heads. She sat down in the chair across from me and her brow creased. She sighed.

“You sure do like to throw curve balls my way don’t you Clark Kent?”

I was quiet. She was studying my features, appraising how serious I was. She let out a long breath.

“Clark…why don’t we wait to see what happens before you pick up Chloe’s life without her permission and drag her off to the farm.”

I nodded. Fair enough she didn’t say no so now all I needed was for Chloe to wake up so I could convince her. Not too long later as mom was getting ready to leave Lois showed up with Bags and coffee from the Talon. She seemed upbeat. She always was around Chloe. She said if we acted different then we normally did and moped around that Chloe wouldn’t know how to find her way back to us. So I went along with it…if nothing else to get Lois off my back.

“Hey there Clarkie…Mrs. Kent. How’s it going today?”

My mom smiled at Lois and gave her a hug.

“Good Lois. I was just about to head out. See if you can get my son to at least change his clothes.”

I rolled my eyes and Lois grinned.

“Sure thing Mrs. Kent.”

And she left. Lois sat across from me and put the bag on the small stand next to Chloe’s bed.

“Ok Smallville here’s the deal. You stink, you’re dirty, you’re exhausted, and most likely starving to death in this small-enclosed space of a room. So listen up and listen good private your going to shower change clothes and eat some breakfast and if you have a problem with that…to bad.”

I had to smile at Lois’s tirade. But I still wasn’t leaving. I shook my head.

“I’m not leaving her Lois.”

She grinned. Apparently she wasn’t going to be deterred today.

“I brought breakfast and drinks.”
I nodded again.

“Ok then I’ll eat some. But again I’m not leaving so clothes and a shower is going to have to wait until Chloe wakes up.”

Just then Oliver walked into the room holding what looked like one of my blue flannel shirts, a pair of jeans and boxers. Oliver smiled.

“Morning Clark.”

Lois smirked.

I laughed. They were tag teaming me.

“I can’t put clean clothes on while I’m dirty.”

Her smirk just got wider. She pointed behind me and I turned. What was she pointing at? And then I saw it the bathroom. Chloe had a private room and in her room was a bathroom.

“There is a teeny tiny shower in there Clark and if I have to I will stuff you in it. You are going to get up and shower…no do not say anything…your going to get up and shower while Ollie and I watch Chloe.”

She softened her voice and placed a hand on my arm.

“I know that something is going on Smallville and I know for some reason you’re scared to leave Chloe alone. So I promise you that there isn’t a damn thing on this side of the galaxy short of a nuclear explosion that could move me from this spot while your gone. Oliver is going to watch the door and I’ll stay by her bed. We won’t let a sole into this room until you get out of the shower. Scouts honor.”

I smiled. Was she even a scout? Lois was incredibly annoying but right now I couldn’t help but love her. She was right…I’m scared to leave Chloe but I really don’t want her to see me all gross so I’ll do what Lois says…just this once. I put my hand on top of hers.

“Thanks Lois…really I don’t know…I just….thank you.”

She nodded and leaned back in her seat. Oliver handed me my clothes and I got up.

“Well hurry up there Smallville with the way you smell you’ll be in there for a while.”

I chuckled and went into the small bathroom to shower.

(Lois POV)

I sighed. thank god that worked. To be honest I wasn’t sure that it would. I saw Oliver move over to Chloe’s bed and sit by her. I smiled he was a great boyfriend. For the past few days he hasn’t left my side. He's been my constant. He’s also taken quite a liking to my cousin. I had to laugh at that because he talked to her like she was wide-awake and talking back.

“Good morning Miss Sullivan. I brought today’s Planet with me thought you might like to get a decent read. Although I have to say they’ve been lacking your wonderful wit. We’ll start on page one…”

And read he did. He read every single article in the paper to her. I grabbed my coffee and took a sip. I really wish I knew what was going on with Smallville. I understand he’s worried about Chloe and their baby but every time someone even suggests he steps out of the room I see panic over take his face. I knew he was scared…and I knew it had something to do with Lex. I just wasn’t sure what it was. But I was gonna find out. About twenty minutes later Smallville emerged from the bathroom ruffling his newly wet hair. He looked at Oliver and grinned.

“Reading the paper?”

“Yes. Chloe finds it boring without her articles though, they bring zest to the paper.”

Clark smiled and it was the first honest smile I’ve seen on his face in days. He was standing next to Oliver shuffling his feet. Oliver looked up. His voice was amused and I grinned.

“Can I help you with something Clark?”

“Umm…you’re kinda in my seat Oliver. I like to you know…sit by Chloe.”

Oliver playfully glared at Clark and then turned to Chloe.

“Clark is insisting that I get up. Maybe we can catch up later and I’ll read you some more. Until then..”

He kissed Chloe’s hand in a brotherly gesture and got up. As soon as he was away from her Clark was right back in his seat. I shook my head. The boy was lost without my cousin. We all hung around Chloe and talked for a little bit trying to keep the conversation light. When I looked at the clock it was two in the afternoon already. I started gathering up my stuff, I had an appointment with a guy who was helping me dig up stuff on Chloe’s accident.

“Alright boys. It’s time for me to go meet a guy about a thing.”

I turned to Clark.

“You’ll call me if anything?”

“Absolutely.”

I nodded kissed Oliver and went to my meeting.

(Clark POV)

I was gently moving Chloe’s hair out of her face. She had gotten some of her color back in the last few days and the bruises on her face had faded a bit. After talking to Oliver for an hour he had to go. Throughout the day Lionel stopped by to check on Chloe, my mom came back for an hour or so and Lois called three times. Now that I was feeling more refreshed I started to think about the visit I had from Lana…or the visit that Chloe had. I ran my hands through my hair. I was really awful to Lana. I didn’t mean to snap at her she just…caught me at a bad moment. I know she’s having a hard time also and I don’t want to cut myself off from her because she’s with Lex and he’s dangerous. I would never forgive myself if I let anything happen to Lana all because I was being selfish. I rubbed the bridge of my nose and let out an even deeper sigh then before.

“Penny for your thoughts?”

I froze. I knew that voice. Even though it was extremely low and scratchy because it hadn’t been used in days, I could still pin point it anywhere. I lifted my head slowly afraid that I was hallucinating. When my eyes met green ones I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding. My whole face lit up and I got out of my chair and hugged her. I heard her deep intake of breath and realized I was probably squeezing too hard. I released her and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Chloe?”

She smiled and tried to raise an eyebrow but winced.

“You waiting for someone else to wake up?”

I got up.

“I have to get the doctor.”

I pushed the button for the nurse and she came bustling in not even five minutes later.

“What can I get you today Clark? Another pillow? Some more magazines maybe?”

She was a very nice older women. Every time I needed something for Chloe I buzzed and if she was on shift she made sure she came. She stopped in her tracks when she saw my face though.

“She’s Awake!”

The nurse smiled and patted my arm.

“We told you she’d wake up sooner or later Clark. Her stats have been normal for a little over a day. I’ll go get the doctor for you.”

I nodded and took my place back by Chloe.

“Hi.”

“Hi…what happened?”

I looked confused.

“You don’t remember?”

“My head’s just a little foggy.”

I nodded and explained about the accident and the hospital. By the time I finished she looked panicked.

“Oh my god Clark…is the baby ok?”

I grinned.

“Perfectly fine now. Doctor said it’s a miracle that there was no damage done to the fetus.”

She smiled and it brightened up the gloomy room, at least for me it did. The doctor came in and made me leave so he could check Chloe out. I left without a problem this time and waited right outside the door. I called everyone starting with Lois letting them know Chloe was awake. I smiled. Everyone would be here in a little bit. I needed to tell Chloe about what I had to tell everyone to be able to stay here. She’s probably gonna be mad but you know what…she awake and I couldn’t be happier.

(Chloe POV)

Once the doctor left Clark came right back in and sat next to me. I was sitting up now and let me tell you owe. It hurt but I was glad to be awake. I had to answer some questions for the doctor. After I passed his little test he left. I grinned at Clark and he returned it.

“I just got off the phone with Lois and my mom. There on their way here.”

I nodded. Clark was twiddling his thumb giving me that innocent farm boy look. Oh boy what did he do. Leaving Clark for three whole days to his own devices…I’m surprised the world didn’t end. I laughed to myself.

“What?”

He rubbed his palms on his jeans.

“There’s something I gotta tell you Chlo…before everyone gets here.”

“I’m waiting Clark…”

He took a deep breath.

“Ok…when I first brought you in they had a hard time stabilizing you. So you wound up in ICU. They wouldn’t let anyone but family see you Chloe…they had security guards kicking us out because I kinda got into a small fight with Lex and then everyone was yelling and they were throwing us out one by one so I might have told them that you were pregnant…”

Oh god…I really didn’t want Lois to find out that way.

“Ok…that sucks I didn’t want Lois to find out like that but what are you gonna do. So everyone knows?”

He nodded then glanced up at me.

“Don’t be mad at me Chloe”

I was confused and it showed.

“Why would I be mad? The doctors probably had to know anyway so all’s well that ends well.”

“No I mean don’t be mad about the other thing.”

I paused. What did he do?

“What other thing Clark?”

“They wanted me to leave and I couldn’t leave you here. It was my fault you were here in the first place…I didn’t save you.”

Huh?

“It’s not your fault. You can’t be everywhere at once…Clark what’s going on? Why would I be mad?”

He leaned back in the chair and gave a weak smile.

“Actually it’s kinda funny if you think about it…”

I glared.

“Well…like I said they were only letting family stay so I told them you were pregnant…and that the baby was mine. See haha isn’t that funny…ha?”

I was not amused. Oh god who did he tell?

“Who thinks she’s yours?”

“Ummm…they all think he’s mine.”

“Define they Clark!”

“Lois, Oliver, Lionel, mom was there but she knows the truth, Lana and Lex.”

Oh my god. Lana was never going to speak to me again. Maybe if I explained to her that he was just saying that so he could stay she’d understand. I groaned and my head plopped back on my pillow. Then I started to chuckled and Clark looked…relived and worried at the same time.

“Only you Clark could royally discombobulate something so bad that I have to laugh.”

He raised his eyebrow.

“That’s a good thing right?”

I shrugged then winced.

“You do realize Lois is going to kill you right? I’m not exactly sure why she hasn’t yet but I’m sure she will.”

He gave a half grin and nodded.

“She said she would wait until you woke up so I could say goodbye.”

I chuckled.

“Sounds like Lois to me…Well maybe I won’t tell them yet that you’re not the proud papa to be. I’ll let Lois cause you bodily harm first that way you learn your lesson.”

He gave me his puppy dog eyes.

“Aww come on now Chloe…is that nice?”

“Clark you told our friends that I’m having your baby!”

He shifted uncomfortable for a second. When he looked back at me his expression was serious.

“You say that like it’s a horrible thing Chloe. Jeez way to make a guy feel good about himself.”

I sat there with my mouth wide open. Is he kidding me? He leaned closer to me.

“Listen Chloe I’ve been thinking…”

Wonderful. He’s been thinking. That’s never a good thing. My voice came out tired and dry.

“Clark…”

He cut me off. He stood up poured me some water and handed me the cup.

“Just hear me out Chloe. I have an idea and I thought maybe I could get your thoughts on it.”

I drank the water and placed in next to me.

“Well let’s hear it then Clark. What have you been cooking up while I was sleeping?”

He didn’t speak for a minute but when he did his voice was strong and definite.

“In order for me not to sound crazy I have to start at the beginning so bear with me. The night of your accident when I confronted Lex about Jed McNally’s farm he…well to make a long story short he knows Chloe…about the baby. I mean obviously now everyone knows but he knew that night. We were yelling at each other and he let it slip. His exact words were, you can’t be there every second to protect them….”

My eyes widened.

“So I was right. He did know that night. Oh god Clark do you know what this means? What is Lex is spying on me. He could know stuff about you…oh god. Clark this really isn’t good.”

He was leaning with his elbows on his knees shaking his head.

“I don’t think so Chloe. If Lex new anything about me I don’t think he’d hesitate to use it at the moment. We haven’t exactly been getting along. So for right now let’s not jump to any conclusions. I also don’t think we should let on that we know because if he didn’t realize his slip then we have the upper hand. I don’t want to give it back to him by letting him know we know.”

I was genuinely impressed. Clark seemed to be handling all this well. But then again he’s had days to let it sink in. I’ve only had a couple of minutes. But he was right letting Lex get the upper hand wouldn’t help us any.

“Ok…I won’t freak out because there isn’t anything we can do about it right now but sooner or later we’re gonna have to discuss this. Anyway on to the crazy idea.”

He nodded and smiled.

“I know that your staying with Lois right now but I was thinking…maybe you might need some more room. I know that this is a lot to spring on you right now but maybe you could come stay with my mom and me until things calm down a little bit.”

I sat there shocked. Clark wants me to move in with him? I couldn’t be hearing him right. My heartbeat sped up.

“Clark…I don’t think that’s such a great idea. I mean with the baby and plus we still have to tell everyone you lied about that. It’s just not a good idea Clark. What will everyone think?”

he frowned and took my hand in his.
“Chloe listen to me…no do not interrupt just listen please. You are my best friend. This past year…has been hard and people have come and gone but you have always stayed constant. I have lost so many people Chlo…I don’t think I can take losing you too. You know about my secret and never once have you looked at me any different. Where else can I get that from aside from my mom? If you won’t do this for you then do it for me. Let me be selfish for once because if Lex’s hurts you Chloe…I don’t know if anything will be able to bring me back from that.”

He looked down and when he glanced back up I had tears in my eyes.

“Clark…it means the world to me that you think so much of me but moving into the farm is a big deal. It says something to the people around us. Plus it’s a big commitment to take on. There’s gonna be a baby running around in a little less than seven months and I can’t expect you to deal with this when it’s not your problem.”

He moved so he was on the edge of the bed next to me.

“Chloe stop worrying about everyone else. You and I know that we’re just friends. We don’t need to define our relationship to anyone.”

He sighed and spoke quietly.

“I don’t want to lose my best friend. My dad was my rock Chloe and I lost him. Lana was the one girl I’ve always wanted to be with and I lost her to Lex because of my secret. You are just as important as they are. I don’t care that you have a baby on the way. It’s actually kind of…exciting.”

His face turned down and tinted pink when he said that. He shrugged and looked back up. It made me smile. When he saw my smile he continued.

“I don’t know…if I’ll ever be able to you know…have my own kids. I’ve always pictured having my own family…I guess that idea is kinda out now.”

I was confused.

“What…why?”

A shadow fell over his face.

“Lana came to visit you not to long ago. She’s pregnant Chloe.”

My eyes went wide. Lana’s pregnant…with Lex’s baby…oh my god…poor Clark…jeez poor Lana. I touched his hand.

“I’m so sorry Clark. I know how much that must hurt.”

He nodded.

“But anyway like I was saying even if Lana wasn’t with Lex who knows if I could actually…reproduce with humans. It might just never happen for me.”

He said it nonchalantly but I could tell it bothered him. His eyes bored into mine and I couldn’t look away. He grinned.

“Would it be so bad to have a little Chloe running around the farm? My mom loves kids and I’m great with them. I wouldn’t mind helping you Chloe…I think it might even be nice. Whadya think Chloe?”

I’m not strong enough to deal with this. I just realized not to long ago that I was still in love with Clark. Now here he is offering to help me raise my kid in his house. How could I do that? How could I spend every day with him, loving him while he only thinks of me as a friend? Before I could even open my mouth to answer him the door slammed open and Lois walked in. she was grinning from ear to ear.

“It’s about time you woke up Chlo…you are in massive amounts of trouble.”

I looked behind her at the open door as people started pouring in. Clark got off the bed so Lois could come over. She started talking a mile a minute and then Oliver appeared next to her. He smiled at me.

“Good to have you back Chloe.”

I grinned.

“Thanks for the stimulating conversations Mr. Queen.”

“Oliver, please.”

I nodded. Mrs. Kent brought food with her. She came over and hugged me.

“Don’t you ever scare us like that again. Thank god your ok…Clark was beside himself without you.”

I smirked.

“I’m sure…he was probably getting on everyone’s nerves without me to keep him company.”

I looked around and even Lionel was there. We spent a few hours laughing and talking before the nurse came in and kicked everyone out for the night. Everyone except Clark that is. She told me the doctor would see how I was doing tomorrow so he can estimate when I can get out of this hell whole. Once everyone was finally gone Clark turned to me with a grin on his face.

“They are crazy. All of them I know they missed me but jeez.”

It was quiet for a few minutes and the tension in the room mounted.
“So about what we were talking about before.”

I knew he was bound to bring it up again. I sighed and there was a knock at the door. Do I have amazing luck or what? Clark called out.

“Come in.”

The door slowly opened and Lana came into view. I smiled up at her.

“Lana! Hi. How are you?”

She hesitated before comming fully into the room.

“Lois called I hope it’s ok that I’m here.”

“It’s completely fine.”

Clark got up and looked between us.

“I’ll give you guys a minute. Be back son Chloe”

He leaned down and kissed my forehead. As he walked out of the room he gave Lana half a smile and she attempted to return it but failed.

“How are you felling Chloe?”

“As good as to be expected I guess. How about you? Clark told me your news…”

She sat in the chair by the bed.

“If I had known you were pregnant I would have told you sooner. We could have went through this together. How far along are you?”

“About thirteen weeks now…you?”

She raised an eyebrow.

“Around nine I think.”

I nodded. We sat and talked for a while. I really did miss Lana I just hated that she was with Lex. This was nice, finally some much needed quality girl time plus it kept all serious issues with Clark delayed…

(Clark POV)

I’ve been sitting out here for what felt like hours even though it was probably only about forty minutes. I’m glad they are talking but I wish Chloe and I would have been able to finish our conversation first. I know that Chloe and I are just friends but I really thought that this could work. I’d be able to protect them and help her at the same time and I’d also be able to extend my family to Chloe and her baby. I was lost in my thoughts when Lana emerged from Chloe’s room. I heard my name and looked up startled.

“Oh hey Lana.”

I stood up nervously. She started to walk away and I just couldn’t let her leave like that.

“Lana can we talk for a minute…please.”

She turned around.

“What is it Clark?”

I took a deep breath.

“I am really sorry about what I said to you the other day. I was upset and tired. But that’s no excuse.”

She laughed bitterly.

“Your always sorry Clark. Sorry doesn’t make the pain go away though.”

I nodded.

“I know that Lana and if you’re willing to give me a chance I know I can make it up to you. Things have been really strained between us ever since….you started seeing Lex.”

I held my hand up to stop her from saying anything.

“I know that some of it is my fault but you have to take some responsibility too. I would really love it if we could try to be friends. I know that it’ll take time…and effort. I’m willing to put it in if you are. I just…I don’t want you to disappear from my life Lana. We used to be friends once. What do you say we try and get back to that?”

I could see her thinking about it and then her face broke out into a small smile.

“I would really like that Clark. I just…I know you don’t like Lex right now but you need to understand that he’s a part of my life now and being my friend is going to involve seeing him on occasion. If you can handle that then…I’d love to be your friend Clark.”

I didn’t like it but for now I’d deal with it.

“You’ve got yourself a deal.”

She laughed and I smiled. She leaned over and we hugged before she left. I walked into Chloe’s room feeling lighter than I had in days. Chloe was awake I knew if I kept bugging her I’d were her down about moving to the farm and Lana and I were going to rebuild our friendship. All and all this was turning out to be an amazing day. I looked over at the bed and Chloe was fast asleep. I smiled. Everything was going to be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)