May 20, 2009

Fragments Chapter (3/12)


Chapter 3

Chapter 2
Memories in Retrospect
(Chloe POV)




Oliver used the security key to open the door to the main control room. The door slid open and I grinned. I absolutely love the Star City building, it’s amazing. Oliver sure did know how to pick property. The room was circular and had long one-way, plate glass windows that overlooked the city along one whole side of the room.

There was a long panel of the latest in encrypted servers lining one wall, the main frame as Oliver liked to call it. To the left through an archway was the kitchen, bathrooms and bedrooms. The space was large, but then again when you have four grown men and a woman in one place space get’s tight.

Oliver tossed his car keys on the table as I headed over to the main frame to power it up. While everything was turning on I turned, leaned against the panel and watched Oliver. He rubbed his hand across his face and started going through some papers that were left for him.

I frowned. We all have our problems obviously, but it’s unusual for Oliver to be so tense. Something felt off and I wasn’t exactly sure what. He sat in the chair and sighed as he rolled his shoulders back and forth. I pushed myself off the panel and walked toward him.

I reached my hands out and started to knead his shoulders. I heard him grunt and his head drooped down to his chest. I smiled as I felt the tension ebb out of his shoulders and back. His voice broke the silence.

“That feels amazing. I’m convinced you have magic hands.”

I chuckled as he reached up his hands and placed them over mine. I stopped manipulating the flesh beneath my fingers as he pulled me around until I was standing between his legs. I sighed when his hands traveled down my arms and to the waist of my jeans.

I closed my eyes when his thumbs started to rub small circles against the exposed skin below my shirt. I opened them a couple of seconds later and glanced down at him. His eyes met mine and he tugged me lightly onto his lap. I swallowed deep as I sat there.

My voice came out soft, barely audible.

“Oliver…”

I watched him tilt his head to the side and give me half a smile. I rolled my eyes and grinned down at him. I swear, sometimes Oliver is like a big kid. He’s so much less serious then I’m used to. It’s a nice change in pace I suppose. I felt his hand brush across my cheek as he leaned up.

I closed my eyes and my heart beat sped up. I could feel his breath against my lips when a loud bang erupted from down the hall. We jumped slightly, my eyes popped open and I pulled back. Jeez…nervous much Chloe? It’s not like you a teenager necking on your father’s couch. I shook my head and glanced at Oliver. He looked just as startled as me until we heard some choice language coming from the kitchen.

“Damn…I dropped the freaking chicken…hmm…I’ll just put it back…no one will know.”

I laughed and Oliver smiled as he shook his head. I saw the mischievous grin on his face as he leaned his head back and called out.

“Real nice Victor. I got that chicken for Chloe, I had hoped to sweet-talk her into making dinner tonight for you guys if she felt up to it. But on the other hand, if you don’t mind eating chicken from the floor that’s cool, since I won’t be here.”

We heard another bang and an ‘ouch’ from Victor, which only served to make my laughter louder. Oliver released his hold on my waist and I stood up before Victor entered the room. He saw me moving over to the control panel and I smiled.

He gave me a nod and went over to Oliver to talk shop. Oliver was telling Victor about his trip when I tuned out their conversation. It’s been months since I’ve been in this building…three months to be exact. I remember that trip like it was yesterday…

*Flashback*

I scrunched my eyebrows together as I turned my head to the side. My eyes opened and I glanced around the room. Where am I? I sat up groggily and looked down at myself. I was wearing the same clothes I wore to Jimmy’s funeral. I got up and moved toward the door.

When I opened it and walked out I was surprised. What am I doing at Oliver’s apartment? Before I could get any further into the room a voice from behind me startled me out of my thoughts.

“Hey Chloe.”

I turned, saw Oliver sitting at his desk with his legs up, tie undone, shirt unbuttoned slightly and a glass of amber liquid in his hand. I swallowed a few times to moisten my throat before talking. It felt ridiculously dry. It still came out hoarse when I spoke.

“Hey Oliver…what’s going on? How did I get here?”

I watched as he looked me over before dropping his feet, getting up and putting his glass down. He walked toward me cautiously and spoke in a soft voice.

“Chloe…what’s the last thing you remember?”

I frowned. I thought back to earlier in the day. I got ready…met up with Dinah and Bart…went to Jimmy’s funeral…came home and then…oh god…Clark….I heard a small sob leave my throat and Oliver was immediately at my side.

He went to wrap his arms around me and I pushed him away shaking my head. He tried again and again I pushed him. I didn’t want Oliver’s pity. I watched his mask slip and I saw pain on his face.

“Chloe…please. I know this is hard…let me help…”

I glared in his direction and when I spoke my voice was cold…angry.

“Why Oliver? Why would you want to help me?”

I watched him glance down and shake his head before looking back at me. His eyes were red and I could see self-loathing there as he spoke.

“Because…even though this has been a rough year…and we’ve had some disagreements…you’re still my friend…”

I cut him off.

“Some friend…you didn’t even trust me Oliver….no one did…you all thought what I went to the dark side with Davis? Well guess what I was just doing what I always do…I was…”

He cut me off this time and his voice was loud and emotional.

“I’M SORRY! OKAY? I messed up Chloe…you were just protecting Clark…like you always do…the way you do for all of us…I’m sorry I couldn’t see that…I…”

His voice lowered and he had to stop talking as he dropped his head, squeezed the bridge of his nose with his hand and glanced back up. The fight was out of his voice now.

“I didn’t mean for any of this to happen…I didn’t mean to get Jimmy involved…I didn’t mean to leave Lois unprotected…and I certainly didn’t mean to make Clark leave…god Chloe…I’m so sorry…”

His voice broke and I couldn’t hold back the tears anymore. They flowed freely down my cheeks. Look at me…pushing him away…he’s the only person left…he cared enough to bring me here and all I can do is scream at him. This isn’t Oliver’s fault…I shouldn’t be punishing him…we’ve been through a lot…and as much as things suck right now…if I’m going to find Lois I’ll need help.

He moved closer to me again and this time when he reached out I let him pull me into his arms and I clung on for dear life. I closed my eyes and cried as he rubbed my back. I could feel his shirt getting wet, but he didn’t seem to mind. He spoke in a low voice right by my ear.

“Dinah and Bart went back to Star City today…I’m supposed to meet them there tomorrow.”

I tensed in his arms and he moved me back slightly so he could look into my eyes as he spoke. He bent his head slightly and spoke in a serious voice.

“Come with me.”

I started to shake my head, but before I could say anything he spoke again.

“Please…not forever just for a few weeks. I need to get things back on track at the headquarters for the League. I’ve been gone too long.”

I swallowed hard and looked anywhere, but at him.

“I…I can’t…there is stuff here…I can’t just pick up and leave.”

“What stuff? Chloe everyone is gone…”

I winced at his words and he nudged my shoulder so I’d look at him.

“I need you…I’m going to find Lois, Chloe and I can’t do it without you. I know you’re hurting…come with me…I’m here and I’m not going anywhere…we can…we can help each other…I know I said I didn’t need anyone…but I don’t think I can do this alone…”

His voice trailed off and I saw a tear escape his eye. He brushed it away quickly and I think it was that moment that I realized I wasn’t alone. Oliver has been through a lot this year…it might be different then the things I’ve been through…but we’ve both lost people we love…I can’t do this alone either…I’ve spent years putting myself second…doing everything for everyone else.

It was time I did something for me. I reached up and wiped away another tear that escaped before he could get to it. He looked at me and I nodded my head.

“Okay, let’s go to Star City…”

He gave me a tired smile and pulled me back into his arms. I hope I’m not making a mistake…Clark said he wasn't going anywhere either...look how that turned out...

Present Time

I felt a warm hand on my arm that startled me out of my thoughts. I glanced up and Oliver’s concerned face was staring down on me. I gave him a sheepish smile.

“What’s up?”

He shrugs and motions to me.

“You tell me…I called you a few times. Everything okay?”

I nodded and glanced at the computers progress before typing in a few passwords.

“Yup, just thinking. So what’s the plan?”

I glanced between Oliver and Victor.

“No plan, I was just filling Victor in on my business meeting and that you’d be staying here for a few days.”

Victor grinned and spoke in an amused tone.

“Bart’s going to be so pissed that he missed out on you staying here.”

I watched Oliver shake his head as he let out a low chuckle. I glanced back at the computer and then spoke to Oliver.

“Where is the blueprint and what not?”

He leaned over my shoulder and pointed at the screen. I nodded and started setting everything up as he moved back in Victor’s direction. He spoke to him in low tones.

“Why don’t you go round up Dinah so you guys can get started. I need to take off in about ten minutes.”

“You got it.”

Once everything was set-up for the mission I turned around and faced Oliver. He was leaning against the table watching me and I scrunched my nose in his direction.

“What are you looking at?”

He raised an eyebrow.

“A hot blonde?”

I chuckled as he pulled out a key chain and held it up so I could see.

“What are those?”

He pushed himself away from the table and walked over to me.

“They’re my keys to my apartment upstairs. It should be stocked with everything you need.”

I took the keys from his hand and smiled.

“Thanks Ollie.”

“No problem. Are you sure you’re going to be okay?”

The door slid open and Victor walked back into the room with Dinah. I nodded as I glanced at them.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

He gave me a hug, kissed the top of my head and then moved out of my arms. He gave me half a grin.

“I’ll call you when I get there.”

He glanced at Victor and Dinah on his way out.

“I’ll see you guys in a couple of days.”

Victor waved and Dinah nodded. The door closed behind him and I felt myself tense. Stop being silly…Oliver is going away on business. You’re a grown woman. Suck it up. I took a deep breath, turned around and faced Dinah and Victor with a smile.

“So guys, ready to suit up?”

(Oliver POV)

I boarded my plane, sat down, and let my body relax in the seat. In a few hours I’d touch down in the middle of the arctic. We should have checked there first for him, but none of us thought he’d go back there. We figured it would be too obvious. Apparently not.

I sighed, open my eyes, took out my cell and pushed 3 on my speed dial. It rang three times before I heard a voice on the other line.

“Yo.”

“What’s his status Bart? Does he know you guys are there?”

“No. He’s in some kind of chamber…”

He paused before continuing.

“It’s doing something to him. We were waiting for you to get here before we approach him.”

Sounds like a plan…I rubbed a hand over my face.

“Okay, just keep an eye on him and if he leaves make sure you call me.”

“Will do.”

Before I could say anything else I heard the dial tone. I closed my eyes and wondered how Chloe was faring with Victor and Dinah. Hopefully everything was going okay…

(Chloe POV)

I watched the screen and glanced at the clock. 15 more seconds…when I saw the light turn on I spoke into the microphone.

“Okay…you’re up Cyborg.”

Less than a minute later the computer was hacked and I had all kinds of data coming in on the screen. I frowned. What is all this stuff?

“You there Watchtower.”

I pressed a button and answered.

“I’m here. Black Canary you’re up. Go straight through the double doors then hang a quick left. Cyborg you’re going to take the right. It looks like they are moving equipment to the back room. I’m taking you around the people.”

“Got it.”

As they followed my direction I saw a truck moving toward the facility. With a few commands I was in their system re-routing their security cameras to get a better look at the truck. I watched as people unloaded large boxes and all kinds of different equipment.

I heard a buzz in my ear and pressed the button again. It was Dinah.

“Watchtower, which way now?”

I looked at the blueprints and frowned. The truck is going into an entrance that doesn’t exist on the blueprints…

“Something is wrong. I can see people unloading things into the facility, but the entrance doesn’t exist on paper. There should be a door in front of you to the right. I want you to go in there and then out the other door in the room.”

I heard a pause on the other line before her voice came over.

“I’m looking at my map and there is no other door.”

“Trust me…it’s there.”

“Got it.”

A few seconds later I heard an alarm sounding and Cyborg came on the line.

“Watchtower, something’s wrong. I shut down the system, the alarm should not be able to be activated.”

I frowned and started typing in commands to shut down the alarm. I glanced at the camera, my eyes widened and I froze.

“Oh my god…”

It can’t be…

“Watchtower…”

I heard gunshots and that snapped me out of it. I pressed the button and yelled into the ear piece.

“Cyborg find Black Canary and get out of there…NOW…

I heard fighting and then I heard a feminine gasp. I held the mic and spoke slowly.

“Black Canary?”

I heard her deep breathing through the mic and when she spoke there was disbelief in her voice.

“Oh my god…Chloe…”

I heard a sharp buzzing in my ear and then the line went dead. I kept cycling the switch on my ear piece and frantically tried getting her back on. When it didn’t work I buzzed in Victor.

“Cyborg, Black Canary is off line…something’s wrong. How far are you?”

I could hear him running as he spoke.

“About 35 feet.”

“Hurry.”

I looked over at the screen and red lights were going off everywhere. Without warning the system shut down and when I tried to get back in it wouldn’t work. Great…I was going to have to get them out of there blind…

“Okay…got her. She’s out cold, but seems to be fine.”

When I spoke my voice was soft, but had a frantic edge to it.

“The truck has already left. You need to be out of that building in less than three minutes.”

I closed my eyes so I could picture the map.

“Stop where you are. There should be a long hall in front of you. I want you to go down there about 10 feet and then make a quick right. There should be an emergency exit there. Hurry.”

I listened as he ran. I heard a beep and watched as the camera footage came back up. I frowned. That’s weird…before I could even talk into the headset to Victor and let him know I was back in the system I watched as the facility exploded into a ball of flames.

I grabbed the headset and yelled out to Victor, but there was no answer. This can’t be happening…this was supposed to be a simple recon mission…they knew we were there…she knew we were there…she set them up…oh god…my eyes had to be playing tricks on me…it’s not possible…

I looked back at the screen and there was no sign of Victor or Dinah…the smoke was clearing and the building was destroyed…I shook my head a ran to the door. They needed help and I was the only one on the team here…I’d be dammed if I left them in there to get caught…we’re a team…

I took a deep breath and walked out the door. I’m sure they’re fine…they have to be…

1 comment:

Feedback is always appreciated! :)