June 26, 2009

The Games We Play Chapter (8/8)


Chapter 8


(Clark POV)



I sat on the couch and looked around at everyone. This is nice. There aren’t many times when we’re all together and just hanging out. Usually some kind of crisis has brought us together and we’re scrambling around to fight the good fight.

But not tonight…it’s the perfect night for what I have planned…I grinned. I glanced at Oliver, he was going over paperwork at his desk, while Bart and Victor watched Chloe kick A.C.’s butt at a video game. I heard some yelling and Chloe got up and jumped around.

“Ha! I told you I’d beat you! I am the undefeated champion of Call of Duty.”

Her grin was infectious. I got up and walked over to them. I shook my head at A.C.

“You should have never doubled that bet.”

He glared in my direction.

“Why didn’t you tell me that before?”

I shrugged and went to speak, but Chloe cut me off.

“Because he’s Clark and he was my friend first.”

She stuck her tongue out and I laughed. I loved this side of her…who was I kidding. I loved every side of Chloe. The truth is she didn’t get to hang back and relax too much either so this was a nice change in pace from all the running around.

The guys dispersed and everyone was sort of doing their own thing. I glanced at Chloe and she was putting the video games away.

“I haven’t seen you too much this week Chlo, you’ve been busy.”

She turned to face me after putting everything away and gave me a small smile.

“Yeah, things have been…I guess crazy is the word for it.”

I nodded and she continued.

“But things are finally settling down and hopefully getting back to normal, or what I’d guess you’d call normal for us anyway.”

We walked back over to the couch; she plopped down and patted the spot next to her.

“Sit down and take a load off, Clark.”

I sat down and I felt her automatically move closer to me. I looked at her out of the corner of my eye and she was reading a magazine. I don’t think she even realized that she’d got closer to me. Interesting…I slowly lifted an arm, placed it around her shoulders, and pulled her into me.

She glanced over at me startled at first, but then relaxed against me and continued flipping the pages in her magazine. I looked at the cover and it said Cosmopolitan. Hmm…I wonder what she’s reading about. I cleared my throat.

“So I was thinking of maybe cashing in my rain check tomorrow night.”

She wasn’t looking at me, but I saw her eyebrows furrow.

“Your rain check?”

“Yup. Remember the other day I asked you out to lunch and you said you were busy…rain check. Well I’d like to cash in my rain check.”

She turned to me with amusement on her face.

“Okay Clark, consider it cashed in. We’ll go grab lunch tomorrow.”

I shook my head.

“I don’t want to go to lunch. I want to take you out to dinner.”

Her fingers stopped mid-page change and her head turned in my direction.

“Dinner?”

“Yes.”

She closed the magazine, laid it on her leg, and turned her body toward me. There was an odd look on her face.

“Like…”

Her voice trailed off and I wanted to laugh. I spoke for her.

“Like a date…”

“A date?”

“Yes Chloe, a date. I’d like to take you out to dinner tomorrow night on a date.”

She opened her mouth and then closed it. I grinned.

“Wow…speechless huh? That doesn’t happen often.”

She slapped me lightly on the arm and laughed. I glanced around the room quickly and a slight frown crossed my face. Where did everyone go? I looked back at Chloe. Her head was tilted to the side and she was smiling.

I moved my body, leaned down, and captured her lips with mine. I don’t know what possessed me to do it, but I did. My hand came up to cup her cheek and a couple of seconds later I slowly pulled away from her. I leaned my forehead against hers and sighed.

I could feel her warm breath against my lips and her voice was shaky when she spoke.

“What was that?”

I swallowed hard and spoke in a low voice.

“That was something I should have done months ago.”

I pulled back a little so that I could see into her eyes. She had a vulnerable look on her face and I brushed my thumb across her cheek.

“I’m sorry about Oliver, Clark.”

I shrugged.

“You don’t have anything to be sorry for…although you did have me kind of worried there for a while. I thought…well I thought I waited too long and you had finally moved on. I’m sorry I made you wait so long Chlo…I just…I wasn’t sure you still wanted this…hell I still don’t actually know if you want this.”

She smirked, leaned over, and kissed me hard. I responded and she pulled away a minute later.

“Does that answer your question?”

I gave her a thoughtful look.

“Hmm I’m not really sure…maybe you could try answering again?”

Her arm reached out and she went to hit me, but I grabbed her hand, brought it to my lips and placed a kiss there. She gave me a warm look.

“Yes, Clark…I definitely still want this…”

“Good…because you’re all I can think about.”

She was sitting there beaming at me.

“You know, since the guys disappeared maybe instead of waiting for Saturday night, we could cash in that rain check now. How about I take you to your favorite Chinese place in Metropolis and then we head back to the farm and watch a movie.”

She clapped her hands and bounced on the couch one and I let out a loud laugh.

“That’s an amazing idea. I’m starving, I didn’t find much in Oliver’s kitchen. Bart had already cleaned the place out. What about you…didn’t you just eat?”

I raised an eyebrow.

“I could eat more.”

She laughed, nodded and got up.

“Okay, just let me grab my bag and run to the bathroom and we’ll go.”

I nodded. As she was walking away I called out to her.

“Oh, and date or not, it’s my turn to pick out the movie.”

Her voice was faint, but I heard it.

“The Princess Bride!!!”

I shook my head good naturedly and glanced down at the magazine next to me. I picked it up and looked over the front cover. Pictures…more pictures…how to loose 10 pounds in seven days…What’s your sign…hmm what’s this. How to make him yours…

I opened the magazine and flipped to the page of the article and read it.

How To Make Him Yours In 5 Steps or Less…

Is the guy you love just too stupid to recognize the not so subtle hints you’re throwing his way? Don’t worry; we have a full proof plan that will have Mr. Right eating out of the palm of your hands in just 5 simple steps.

Step One: Make Him Jealous- This is an old trick that never goes out of fashion. Go out in a group or with a friend of his, make sure you’re dressed to impress; don’t be afraid to show a little skin and don’t hesitate to flirt with his friends a bit. Show him what a great date you are and what he’s missing.

Step Two: Don’t Get Mad At Him No Matter What- If you want him to think of you as an independent woman, act like one. Don’t demand anything from him. Don’t ask him where he goes and with who, if he doesn’t tell you first. Don’t get mad at him because he is late. This will spoil your image, and instead of keeping him, you will lose him.

Step Three: Don’t Answer All His Phone Calls- Even if you are around; let the phone ring for a while before answering it. Sure, you can make up some excuses to justify why you didn’t answer immediately. You can tell him that you were in the middle of something. If he just calls once and then he stops, don’t buck up to call him back. Let him wonder: “is she home? Is she out?” Sooner or later, he will call again.

Step Four: Sorry I Have Plans- Do not always be available for him. Show him that you have many other things going on in your life; he is not the center of your world. On the contrary, you have many friends to please and much work to do.

Step Five: Take Pity On Him- You’ve spent a week flirting with other guys and taking sexy to the max. You’ve played it cool, ignored his phone calls and hung out with basically everyone but him. You’ve given him a chance to miss what he always takes for granted. Now’s the time to take pity on your man and respond to his advances.

I raised an eyebrow and frowned at the article…There’s no way…I mean Chloe wouldn’t use a silly article to get me to admit my feelings for her…I mean sure this past week she’s almost slept with Oliver…flirted with the guys…dressed sexier than usual…

Been really busy…missed a few of my phone calls…oh my god…I heard the clacking of heels on the marble floor and I looked up. Chloe was standing there with her jacket already on her slight mused and a grin on her face.

“Ready to go Clark?”

I looked down at the magazine then back up at Chloe. I shrugged, tossed the magazine on the couch, and stood up.

“Yeah, let’s go.”

She smiled, I placed an arm around her waist, and we got into the elevator. Okay…so maybe Chloe used a stupid quiz on me…it’s possible she completely played me…but who cares…in the end I got the girl and that’s all that mattered…

We stepped off the elevator and out into the cool night air. Chloe shivered slightly and I pulled her tighter against me. I smiled down at her and spoke in a soft voice.

“I got you…”

“You’ve always had me…”

As we made our way toward her car I thought about that. She’s right…I don’t know what I was so worried about…Chloe isn’t just my best friend…she so much more. She always has been and if I have it my way she always will be…

3 comments:

  1. Love it and I loved the twist with the magazine quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL to the cosmo magazine quiz... Awww! i loved this chapter it was perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey All!

    Thanks for the amazing feedback! It keeps me writing LoL. I'm glad you enjoyed the last chapter. I swear when I saw that quiz I was like OMG...Chlark! haha :-)

    <3

    C

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)