June 6, 2009

Fragments Chapter (11/12)


Epilogue

Chapter 10
Forgiveness is Divine
(Oliver POV)




I sighed and shook my head. She was never going to give in…this is ridiculous. I don’t know how much longer I can to this…I glared in her direction.

“Tell me where she is.”

She raised an eyebrow.

“How about this…you tell me why you want to know where she is so bad and I’ll tell you where she is…”

This wasn’t working. Thank god I sent Lois home before Tess woke up. It would only make things worse if Tess saw her here…it doesn’t take a genius to figure out who I am if I have Lois here and I’m trying to save Chloe…

“I don’t just want the Sullivan girl…I want to know where you’re keeping all your ‘guinea pigs’. Don’t think I haven’t realized what you’re trying to do.”

“And what’s that?”

My glared deepened as I moved closer to her.

“You’re trying to bring Lex Luthor back from whatever state he’s in. You’re trading innocent human lives to save a monster!”

Her voice was calm when she spoke.

“They aren’t innocent humans. They are all meteor infected. The world would be better off with out them…besides who knows how many are out there, we’re only sacrificing a few.”

Sacrificing…I knew they were using there abilities…but I didn’t think they were killing them…oh god…we need to find Chloe…my phone ringing brought me out of my thoughts. I turned away from Tess and answered it.

“Hello.”

The voice on the other end spoke quickly.

“Oliver, its Victor. Listen, Clark just ran out of here in a hurry. Apparently Chloe called for him…I’m not sure how he heard her…but he’s gone.”

I glanced at Tess, who was looking curiously at me, and then walked out of the study closing the door behind me.

“Did he find her?”

“We aren’t sure. He took papers for four different facilities, so I’m assuming he thinks she’s in one of those. I think you should get back here.”

“Where are you?”

“We just got to Metropolis.”

“I’ll be there soon.”

I shut the phone with a click and walked back into the study. Looks like we weren’t going to need her after all. I grinned, reached my hand back, took and arrow, and loaded my bow. Her eyes widened before she spoke.

“What are you doing?”

“I think it’s time you took a nap.”

I released the bow and the arrow stuck to her and let out a green gas. I watched as she coughed for a second before her eyes slowly slid shut. Works like a charm every time…I took out my phone as I made my way out of the Luthor mansion.

I held down a button and the phone rang twice before she picked up.

“Hello.”

“Lois, it’s me…we think Clark found Chloe. I’m going to pick you up on my way to Metropolis. Where are you?”

I could hear things crashing on the other end of the phone as she moved around.

“The Talon. I’m ready, I’ll be outside.”

“See you in ten.”

I closed the phone, got on my motorcycle and took off. Huh…I forgot I had my bike…looks like Lois is going to have to give me back my car…

(Clark POV)

I glanced up at the building in front of me and then down at the paper in my hand. I’ve already been to two of the facilities and they were both empty. Chloe hasn’t called my name in the past five minutes and I’m getting worried. I sped into the facility and immediately ran into a security guard.

He turned, saw me, raised his gun and yelled in my direction.

“Freeze, don’t come any closer…”

This is good news…it means Chloe is probably here. I kept walking toward him and he fired two rounds. When I didn’t stop moving in his direction his mouth opened and he looked shocked. I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and thrust him against the wall.

“Where is she?”

His eyebrows scrunched together.

“W..who…?”

His voice sounded scared, but at this point I was running out of time so I wasn’t really worried about scaring him.

“Don’t play with me…where is the girl that was brought in here…where are they holding her?”

He shook his head and I lifted him, then slammed him lightly against the wall. I glared at him and he just kept shaking his head as he spoke.

“I dunno…I swear…I was just told to guard the building…they said there was Luthor Corp equipment here that was vital to business…they didn’t mention any girl…”

I sighed and nodded. I tapped him on the head gently and he fell unconscious. I made my way down the hall. I walked for a minute or so and then went through a large metal door. I moved down the hallway and then right before I turned the corner I heard voices.

I stopped and listened.

“How’s the patient doing?”

“Well. He’s not conscious yet, but his stats look promising.”

“And the girl?”

“She’s already unconscious. Maybe another forty-five minutes until she’s completely drained.”

I frowned. Drained of what? I wasn’t sure what was going on, but I did know one thing. I was going to need back-up. I took out my cell phone and texted Oliver the address to where I was and told him to bring the team and the doctor just in case.

I shut the phone and put it back in my pocket. I listen and heard footsteps making there way in my direction. As soon as the young doctor turned the corner his eyes widened and his mouth opened. I yanked him toward me and covered his mouth.

I could hear the menace in my voice as I spoke.

“If you’re smart, you won’t say a word. You’ll just listen. Can you handle that?”

He nodded.

“Good. Where is the girl being held?”

I took my hand off his mouth, but I had my arm holding him in a vice like grip. He swallowed hard and spoke in a low voice that quivered slightly.

“If I tell you…they’ll kill me…”

I gave him a cold stare.

“What makes you think you won’t end up with the same fate if you don’t tell me?”

He opened his mouth, closed it and I gripped him a little tighter. He winced and spoke.

“Turn around this corner, go to the end of the hall and make a quick left. There is a metal door. It’s being watched by two security guards. You won’t be able to get in the room though…there is an access code that needs to be put in. You also have to get past a retinal scanner.”

I nodded.

“I’ll get in.”

I tossed him lightly and his head hit the wall knocking him out. I sped down the hall, came to the end, made a left and saw the guards. A second later, they registered my presence and they were up on their feet. Before they could even aim their guns in my direction, I knocked their heads together and they fell to the floor unconscious.

I glanced at the door and punched it. The metal dented, but it didn’t open. So I kept punching it. What did that other doctor say…Chloe only had forty-five minutes? I was running out of time…even though getting to this point only took me about ten minutes…that’s still ten minutes less she has.

I pulled my arm back gritted my teeth and slammed my fist as hard as I could through the door. Finally…I pulled my arm out of the hole, took both my hands and started making the whole larger. I could hear people in the room clamoring around, yelling.

I didn’t care. My only goal was to get to Chloe and make sure she was okay. I finally got the hole big enough where I could walk through it. I moved inside and the shooting started. Not again…I walked right through the bullets knocking people out of my way.

I was making my way to the doctor. Everyone was trying to stay between me and the him…there had to be a reason for that. I saw him turning toward a door and my face hardened. I sped up, grabbed him by the shoulders, slammed him into what looked like a computer mainframe and spoke in a harsh voice.

“Where is she?”

He shook his head.

“That’s not going to happen. I’m sorry.”

My grip tightened and I pulled him off the floor. As I held him there I could see fear leaking into his face.

“Where…is…she?”

He opened his mouth and I cut him off.

“You’re only going to get one more chance to answer me…so do it wisely…I don’t like games.”

He closed his mouth, swallowed deeply and then closed his eyes. He spoke in an angry tone as he motioned his head to the door behind him.

“She’s in there…but it’s no use…you’re too late. You won’t be able to save her now…”

I glared at him and then tossed his body across the room in anger. I jogged over to the door and it opened easily. I walked into the room and what I saw made me stumble back. My face paled and I felt like I might throw up. Oh god…Chloe…

(Lois POV)

I stood there pacing back and forth. What the hell was taking Clark so long to get in touch with us? I sighed. I needed to relax…I wasn’t going to be any use to anyone if I didn’t calm down. I glanced up and watched the guys and Dinah suit up.

This was all new to me…but after spending three months in the future with superheroes galore…it wasn’t as strange as it probably should have been. A beeping noise brought me out of my thoughts. I glanced around the room and saw Oliver reaching for his phone.

He opened it and I watched his face darken before he closed the phone. He glanced around the room before speaking.

“Alright guys…that was Clark…he sent the address of where Chloe is. He’s there now. Bart call the doctor. Clark said to bring him just in case. Does everyone know what they’re doing?”

I frowned. I didn’t.

“What about me? You don’t expect me to just sit around here while Chloe is out there, do you?”

He looked thoughtful for a minute before his face lit up and he shook his head.

“No, I don’t. You’re going to come with us and stay on the jet.”

I opened my mouth to protest until I heard his next sentence.

“You’re going to take Chloe’s job. You’ll be our Watchtower for this mission, our eyes and ears.”

My mouth closed. I wanted to be in on the action…I didn’t just want to sit there and stare at some computer. That’s ridiculous and it’s not who I am. I sighed.

“But Oliver…”

He cut me off.

“Lois…please. I can’t focus on helping Clark save Chloe and making sure everyone gets out okay if I need to worry about something happening to you while you’re in there.”

I looked at the honesty on his face and rolled my eyes.

“Fine.”

He gave me a tense smile.

“Thanks ‘Lo.”

Ten minutes later we were boarding the jet with the doctor in tow. Thank god he had already been in Metropolis or this would have taken longer. On the way over to the facility, Victor briefed me on how to use the program they were running and how to keep the coms linked to all of us.

I nodded and we started setting everything up so it was ready when we got there. Hopefully Clark is doing okay without us…

(Clark POV)

I stared at the large machine between the two metal tables and I wasn’t sure what to do. I moved forward and searched for some kind of off switch. Nothing was there. I glanced at all the tubes and then back at the machine.

I was afraid to just blast it, because I wasn’t sure what it would do to Chloe. Finally, after a minute or so of tinkering, I found a small round knob and was able to slow the machine down. It looked like it was off. I watched the blood drain down the tube and I felt sick.

I moved over to Chloe. She was clammy and pale. I reached out and shook her very lightly. Nothing…I called out to her.

“Chloe…Chloe….”

Still nothing. I stood up and closed my eyes to try and focus. I opened my eyes and pulled out my phone. I called Oliver. It rang twice before he picked up.

“What’s going on Clark?”

My voice was semi-frantic when I spoke.

“Is the doctor with you?”

“Yeah, he’s…”

I cut him off.

“I need to talk to him now. Hurry Oliver put him on the phone.”

I could hear shuffling and then a new voice came on the line.

“Hello…”

“I need your help.”

“Mr. Queen says we’ll be there shortly.”

I frowned.

“This can’t wait. Chloe is hooked up to some kind of machine and I need to get her off it.”

I could almost hear the frown in his voice.

“What type of machine?”

I glanced back at it and spoke.

“I’m not sure. There are two tubes in Chloe, one coming from each arm. Like the ones used at the hospital when you donate blood…”

I heard a noise on the other end before he told me to continue.

“I think it’s pulling the blood from her…then sending it through this machine and…and being put into someone else…”

The line was quiet for a few seconds before I heard a hitch in the guy’s voice.

“How long has it been going on?”

“I don’t know…how can I tell?”

“Is Chloe conscious?”

“No.”

He was quiet. When he spoke his voice was intense and the seriousness in it made my heart speed up.

“The tubes in her arms are just as you said…like donating blood. She won’t bleed out if you take the tubes out. I want you to take them out and then apply a tourniquet around each arm. Pick her up gently. We’re about to land. Get her out here as fast as possible…now.”

I slammed the phone shut and got to work. As I was taking out the tubes I was rushed by a security guard who had woken up. He started shooting and I covered Chloe’s body. Powers or no powers I wasn’t taking a chance that she could be hurt worse than she already was.

I was about to turn around when I heard the guards give a startled yelp. I moved my head and saw the Green Arrow standing there. He put his bow down and glanced around the room. His voice sounded sick.

“Oh god…”

I called out to him.

“Help me Oliver…”

He attached his bow to his side and came over. He helped me get all the wires off Chloe. A few seconds later I was gently picking her up. We turned to go and Oliver stopped.

“What about him?”

I glanced in the direction of the other body and my jaw tensed.

“I won’t kill Lex…but I don’t’ have to save him either…let’s go…”

We walked out of the room and there was no one there. I frowned. Oliver must have seen my face because he spoke as we made out way down the hall.

“Bart and Victor evacuated the premises…we’re gonna light this baby up…”

I nodded. Good…We made it outside and I saw the jet…thank god…Oliver and I got on board and I laid Chloe down. The doctor made his way over right away. He checked her pulse and then started yanking things out of his bag.

He spoke in an urgent tone.

“We need blood…Now.”

I glanced around at everyone and spoke.

“I can’t…”

Oliver spoke up.

“I can, Chloe and I have the same blood type.”

He took off his hood and started moving his gear off his arms. He sat down beside Chloe and held his arm out to the doctor. As he started hooking up the tubes to Oliver and Chloe he spoke without meeting anyone’s eyes.

“I’m going to need more blood than you can give. Is there anyone else who can donate?”

“I will.”

I glanced at Bart and the doctor shook his head.

“No…everyone with abilities…I can’t take your blood. We haven’t gotten that far in the testing yet. I’m unsure if it will affect Chloe in an adverse manner. I need someone…without abilities.”

“Me.”

I watched Lois walk over and sit on the other side of the doctor. He nodded. I sat on one of the seats with my elbows touching my knees and my hands clasped together under my chin. I could hear the portable monitor beeping and I closed my eyes.

Please let her be okay…please don’t say I was too late…I need her…my thoughts flew from my head when a loud wailing beep was let out by the machine. My head whipped up and everyone looked in Chloe’s direction. Lois was openly crying…I could see her saying something to Chloe as the doctor moved her away…

Oliver’s eyes were frantic as a stray tear slid down his check. I watched as the doctor tried to get a heartbeat back…Oh god no…Chloe please…I felt my body move off the chair and I was at her side in an instant.

“Chloe…please don’t leave me…I get it ok…I was wrong…I shouldn’t have walked away form you…I think you’ve made your point…please…I need you…”

Her hands were cold and lifeless and I brought my head down to it. In the back of my head I heard the doctor call the time of death…I heard Lois scream…Oliver throwing things around the jet…and tears…I felt like I was suffocating.

I couldn’t breathe…my head started to spin and I felt my body falling back. There was a started yelp and then Bart’s voice…saying something…I couldn’t make it out…and then I saw the strangest thing…I saw blonde hair and a bright white light….Chloe…before everything went black…

3 comments:

  1. OMG! you have to post asp before i got a heart attack <3 love this ppms!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chloista4ever-

    OMG...please don't have a heart attack LoL. That would mean I would loose one of my best readers! :-) I'm glad you like it. I'll most likely post the Epilogue tomorrow.

    <3

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great story good way to end the chapter. Can't wait to read how it ends. I say you captured what it like after the finale of latest season.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)