June 5, 2009

Fragments Chapter (10/12)


Chapter 10

Chapter 9
Everybody Lies
(Lois POV)




I sped down the highway and glanced at the sign coming up on the right side of the road. It read ‘Smallville 25 miles’. I’ve been gone three months and everything has spun out of control. Clark is the red, blue blur…he likes Chloe…Jimmy is dead…Chloe has meteor powers…Chloe is seeing Oliver…Oliver and Clark aren’t friends…Oliver is still in love with me…

I shook my head. I didn’t even know so much could happen at once. I slowed down and veered to the right so I could get off at the Smallville exit. I followed the road and sped up once I was off the exit. Even with all of that, the only thing that mattered right now was that Tess has Chloe.

I remember that crazy bitch attacking me, talking about alien devices and what not. Now I understand why. She thought I knew about Clark. I could see the Luthor mansion in the distance and I pressed the accelerator down to go faster. I made it through the archway, pulled the car up to the door and parked. I opened the door, got out, and slammed it shut.

I walked up to the front and pushed the door open. That’s odd…no security…that’s a little unlike Tess…I moved further into the room and glanced around. Nothing…I walked toward the study and pushed the double doors open.

I saw Tess glance up from the computer and before the well-veiled mask went up I saw shock on her face. She closed the laptop she was working on and leaned back in her seat as she spoke.

“Well, well what do we have here?”

My jaw was set and I glared at her as I walked toward where she was sitting.

“What did you do?”

She raised an eyebrow and gave me an innocent grin.

“I haven’t the faintest idea what you’re talking about Lois.”

“Where is Chloe?”

She gave me a confused look.

“Chloe…Chloe Sullivan? Your cousin? How would I know where she is?”

I gave her a harsh smile before crossing my hands against my chest. My voice was cold when I spoke.

“I have it under good authority that you’re the one who took her. Let me make myself perfectly clear…if you hurt my cousin, I will not be held responsible for what happens to you.”

I watched her lean back in her chair as she gave me a dark chuckle.

“And what exactly are you going to do Lois? Where’s your proof?”

She raised an eyebrow when I didn’t say anything. I walked toward her and when I was about three feet from her desk she slid one of her hands off the desk and under it. Her arm came up pointing a gun directly at me and I froze.

She stood up I glared in her direction as she spoke calmly.

“You know, had you just walked away…I was going to let you live, but no…you just had to push. Oh well, accidents happen…”

She’s out of her mind…she came out from behind the desk and we circled each other. I watched her like a hawk and the minute I saw her eyes glance to the side for a second I lashed out. I kicked the gun out of her hand, and ran in the direction it landed.

I was close, but before I reached it my feet were kicked out from under me. I landed on the floor and turned from my stomach to my back. My eyes widened as Tess threw herself at me. As soon as her body touched mine I flipped her off me and stood.

I braced myself and took a fighters stance. I watched her get up and the smile on her face sent chills down my spine. Her eyes looked crazy and she spoke as she moved in my direction.

“You want a fight? I’ll give you one…I should have killed you that night at the Planet…before you disappeared into oblivion…don’t worry I won’t make that mistake this time…”

Okay…before when I said she was a little crazy…I was being slightly sarcastic…now I’m convinced she’s completely off her rocker…She charged me and I blocked several hits and kicks before she got me once in the face. Oww, dammit…

I slammed my knee into her stomach and I watched her curl over in pain. I followed that up with a kick to her side and right as I was about to slam my fist into her face she kicked my legs out from under me. I was about to flip myself up when I heard a click and froze.

I glanced up and there Tess stood two feet from me, lip bleeding, eyes crazy with the gun cocked in my direction. I swallowed hard. That didn’t go exactly as I planned…great…now how was I going to find Chloe…better question how was I going to get out of this mess…

I heard her make a noise that could only be described as a cackle. I frowned as she took a step closer.

“Any last words?”

I opened my mouth and was about to say something when I heard a deep voice behind me.

“Yeah, next time, if you plan on committing murder, don’t give your security team the night off.”

I heard a hiss through the air, saw an arrow fly across the room, and a few seconds later it was sending shockwaves through Tess’ body. She hit the ground, my eyes widened and I whipped my head around. There stood the green arrow, smirk on his face.

I glared in his direction as I picked myself up off the floor. I wiped off my pants as I spoke.

“I didn’t need your help. I had things under control.”

He chuckled.

“Of course you did Lois.”

He walked past me and checked Tess’ pulse.

“Is she alive?”

He gave me a startled look.

“Of course she’s alive, Lois. All I did was knock her out so we could tie her up and try to get her to tell us where Chloe is.”

I nodded. He looked away from me, got a chair, brought it over, picked Tess up and placed her on it. He turned his head slightly and glanced in my direction.

“Grab the bag by the door for me please.”

I turned, walked to the door, grabbed the bag, and came back over to Oliver. He pulled some rope out of the bag and started fastening Tess to the chair. I was quiet and when he finished he looked at me. I raised an eyebrow and when he spoke there was concern in his voice.

“Are you okay?”

“I told you…I’m fine.”

He nodded and then just stood there shuffling his feet. I rolled my eyes. He obviously wants to say something…I don’t know what his problem is and why he doesn’t just say it. He opened his mouth, closed it and then opened it again.

“Lois…”

“That’s me.”

He gave me a slight glare and continued.

“I know you’re angry with me.”

I cut him off, turned away from him, and spoke quickly.

“I’m not angry with you Oliver. Why would I be?”

I could see a look of disbelief cross his face before he spoke.

“Lois…”

I waved him off.

“No…I don’t want to talk about it.”

He sighed, turned, and started rifling through the bag again. I watched him and before I could stop myself I spoke. I could hear the pain in my own voice and it made me feel foolish.

“Why Chloe, Oliver? There are a million girls in the world…and you date my cousin?”

He slowly turned and I stood there watching his masked face, waiting for an answer.

“Because…”

He paused before continuing.

“Because, she reminds me of you. This past year, even when you were here…I lost my way…I became someone who I didn’t even know anymore. I did things…I’m not proud of. When you disappeared…it put everything into perspective for me…”

He took a deep breath and continued.

“Chloe and I…we’re friends Lois…I care about her, but I’m in love with you. Clark had left…you were gone and we were lonely…she understood what I was feeling and I understood what she was feeling…”

I nodded and glanced down. I guess I could understand that…but it didn’t really make it any better. I felt a nudge on my shoulder and I glanced up. He gave me a small smile.

“I am sorry…I never meant to hurt you.”

“I know.”

“…Any chance we’ll be able to work through it?”

I watched his face for a minute and thought about it. Most of my time this past year has been spent with Clark…so much so that I convinced myself I was falling for him…but now that I think about it, I’m pretty sure I was focusing on Clark because it hurt too much to think about Oliver not caring about me anymore…

I didn’t like that he and he Chloe had shared something, but I think with time…we’ll be able to work things out…I returned the smile with a hesitant one and spoke.

“I think…in time…we might be able to.”

The grin that lit up Oliver’s face is a grin I haven’t seen in quite a while. I love that grin…

(Chloe POV)

I turned my head slightly to the left and winced. Ugh…I feel like I’ve been hit by a truck. My eyes burst open when my head cleared and I remembered what happened at lunch. Oliver…I tried to sit up, but couldn’t. What the hell…I lifted my head and glanced down.

My arms and legs were secured to a metal table. I dropped my head back onto the table and frowned. Wonderful…how is it that these things are always happening to me? I wiggled my legs and pulled at the bindings on my arms, but nothing.

I turned my head and finally saw that there was another table next to me. I squinted to try and make out the figure on the other table and when I did I froze. Oh my god…that’s Lex…I struggled harder and when I twisted my arm I let out a loud hiss.

I took another look down and that’s when I noticed the tubes coming out of each arm and going up and around into a large machine behind me. That really doesn’t look like It bodes well for me…I tried to figure out what the tubes were and as I watched them I saw a red liquid slowly moving up the tube inch by inch.

My eyes widened. No…I kicked my legs frantically now. I opened my mouth and screamed. I could hear my voice echoing around the room. A minute later the door opened and a man in a white lab coat walked leisurely into the room.

He gave me a cold smile and spoke.

“Good morning Chloe…how are you feeling?”

I glared in his direction.

“Who are you and where am I?”

He let out a small laugh as he walked over to the machine and checked the dials. He wrote something down on his clip board and faced me.

“I’m the doctor heading up this experiment. Be still, you’re going to hurt yourself.”

My voice was loud and shrill when I spoke.

“DO YOU EVEN CARE?”

He looked thoughtful for a minute before answering.

“Of course. I’m not here to make you uncomfortable. The procedure isn’t painful…once the blood starts leaving your body, you’ll start to feel weaker…tired and then you’ll just…fall asleep.”

He was looking at me explaining how the machine worked in a completely rational way. He didn’t think this was at all wrong. I’ve really gotten myself into a mess this time…I don’t know if Oliver is okay…or if anyone even knows what happened.

I glanced back at the doctor as he finished writing and moved back over to the machine. I watched him flip a switch and out of the corner of my eye I saw my blood start filling the tube faster. My eyes widened as I watched the liquid flow from my body into the machine and then out into the tubes in Lex’s arms.

The doctor glanced back at his chart then looked at me and smiled before speaking.

“Well it won’t be long now…maybe an hour or so…just relax, squirming around is only going to pull at the tubes and make It hurt. I’ll be in to check on things toward the end of the procedure.”

He turned his back and started to walk out.

“How can you do this? Hey…I’m talking to you…TURN AROUND DAMMIT! YOU WON’T GET AWAY WITH THIS!”

He turned his head when he got to the doorway and spoke.

“We already have.”

The door slammed shut, I winced and tears of frustration welled up in my eyes. How can anyone do this to another human being…I underestimated Tess…she was going to trade my life for Lex’s…and I wasn’t sure I’d be able to come back from this…

I’ve spent so much time over the past three months being angry…ever since Clark got back I’ve been punishing him…he shouldn’t have left…he shouldn’t have hurt me so much…but whenever Clark did things like this…he usually did them with good intentions…

I never gave him a chance to explain…because I was hurt...and angry…and now I’m going to die in this room and I’ll never get to hear his explanation…he’ll never know how I feel…I swallowed hard and I could feel myself getting lightheaded. Stop talking ridiculous Chloe…don’t give up…there’s still a way…

That’s right…there was one way I’d make it out of here alive…I opened my mouth and with all the energy I had left I screamed.

“CLAAAARRRKK!!!”

“CLAAAARRRKK…HELP ME….CLAARK!!!”

I could hear my voice echoing off the walls, it was hurting my ears, but I kept on screaming. I closed my eyes and prayed that wherever he was, he was listening. I needed him to be listening…I could feel my voice getting lower as I started to see double.

“CLARK…”

I closed my eyes swallowed hard and opened my mouth again. This time my voice was barely a whisper.

“Clark…help me…”

That was the last thing I remember saying before everything went black…

(Clark POV)

I was standing next to Bart looking through files on the twelve facilities he had narrowed it down to. I sighed. Twelve is still a lot…I couldn’t help feel like Chloe being taken was my fault. I’ve been so worried about saving the world and leaving the people I care about to protect them, that I never thought what would happen once I was gone.

Now Chloe is missing…Oliver went to go find Lois and I’m standing here being useless. I let out a frustrated sigh and Bart glanced up at me. He spoke in a calm voice.

“We’ll find her stretch…don’t worry. Between the two of us we can zip in and out of these facilities in no time…it’s going to be okay.”

I nodded and he started to say something else, but at that moment something happened. I heard my name…I frowned and closed off my senses to everything but the noise I had just heard. I concentrated and then I froze…

Chloe…I heard her loud and clear. I was waiting for her voice again as I tried to focus in on where the sound was coming from. “CLAAAARRRKK…HELP ME….CLAARK!!!” She’s in Metropolis….That knocks off four facilities right there….I can hear water…that knocks off two more…

I couldn’t hear any traffic or other city noises…so that knocks off the two in the center of Metropolis…I focused my energy on trying to pick up any other noises that could lead me to her…but nothing. Her voice was fading out and I frowned.

No…Chloe…oh god…
My eyes shot open and Bart, Victor, AC, and Dinah were looking at me with worried expressions on their faces. I was frantic. I quickly moved back over to the papers and started tossing them around looking for the four that I needed.

Victor spoke in a quick voice.

“Clark, what’s going on? Talk to us.”

I shook my head as I grabbed the last paper I need.

“No time….I heard Chloe call for me…she needs me. Get the team together…I’ll call as soon as I know where she is…”

With that I super sped out of the building. I had four facilities to check…four places on opposite sides of Metropolis…Chloe needs to be okay…I’d never forgive myself if she wasn’t…I need her…it took a while to realize it, but I’m never letting her go again…I just hoped I wasn’t too late…

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!! help her clark ok, ppms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chloista4ever-

    Clark always Helps! Sometimes he's too late though...dum dum dum haha :-)

    <3

    C

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)