June 30, 2009

Rain




Title: Rain
Season: Season 1-8 (Future Fic)
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Everything belongs to the CW and the Creators of Smallville. But Boy what I wouldn’t do if I owned Clark, Lex or Oliver. ;-)
Beta: Dh1031
Couples: Chloe/Clark
Category: One-shot: Fluff



(Lois POV)



I glanced down at my watch and swore to myself. Ugh…I shouldn’t have stayed that extra ten minutes at Oliver’s office. Now I’m going to be late. My heels clicked on the pavement as I walked down the street towards the Daily Planet.

Oliver was in town on business for a while so, I decided to take a couple of weeks off work and come with him. It’s hard always being apart, with Oliver in Metropolis and me in Star City, I get lonely. I requested a two-week vacation from the Star City Gazette and my editor was nice enough to oblige me.

After the first day in town, though I got bored, big shock, doing nothing all day while waiting for Oliver to get home so, I decided to do a little free lance writing for the Planet. Which is why I’m in such a hurry to get there, my deadline is in thirty minutes…and I still have to transfer the story from paper to computer.

I saw the Planet up ahead and was about to cross the street when I caught a glimpse of a small coffee shop. I could really use a shot of caffeine. I thought it over for about thirty seconds before making my way into the quaint shop.

I pushed the doors open and the smell of fresh ground beans wafted my way. I inhaled and smiled before walked toward the counter. I waited patiently for my turn as I looked around the shop. There were photos all over the walls.

The room was decorated in shades of maroon, gold, and red. It had a homey feel to it. I glanced briefly at the menu hanging above the counter. I’m pretty sure Chloe’s working today…I should pick something up for her too.

The man in front of me disappeared and a young red headed girl who couldn’t have been older than 17 or 18 smiled and spoke in a friendly voice.

“Welcome to the Coffee Bean, how can I help you?”

“Can I get a medium coffee and a large vanilla latte with extra foam and a little bit of hazelnut flavoring?”

The girl smiled.

“Ah, a Sullivan special, usually it’s Clark who comes in here asking for it. Coming right up.”

I shook my head. It figures Chloe would have her own special…and Clark would be the one running around to get it for her…I mean it’s not like it would take him long…I sighed. Clark and Chloe have a complicated relationship. They aren’t together and yet they aren’t not together.

Confused? Well I sure am. Chloe has been in love with Clark for years and his feelings have just recently caught up with hers. The only problem is, to the naked eye, it’s hard to see why Chloe sticks around, especially since Clark isn’t the easiest guy to love.

Oliver has asked me on numerous occasions why Chloe hasn’t moved on…that it seems she cares about Clark in a romantic way more then he does about her. I tell him he doesn’t get it and to just leave the two of them alone. The truth is, I understand where he’s coming from, but he isn’t around them nearly as much as I am, so it’s hard for him to see the little moments that make their non-relationship work.

Clark is a hero…he puts the world first and sometimes that means breaking dates, missing anniversaries or birthdays. He doesn’t always show people how much they mean to him, he can’t take a hint, he has an acute fear of commitment, and he’s overly protective.

I heard a light plop on the counter and I looked up. The girl was standing there with two cups ringing me up.

“Your total is $7.50”

I pulled out a ten from my purse, handed it to her, grabbed the coffees, and told her to keep the change. I turned and right as I was about to make my way out the door I looked up and groaned. Rain…I knew I should have brought the umbrella this morning.

I nudged open the door with my back, stood under the awning, and glanced across the street at the front doors of the Daily Planet. I was about to look away when I saw Clark holding open the door for Chloe. She glanced up and I could see her face crinkle.

Chloe hates rain unless she’s curled up on a couch watching a scary movie with a hot cup of coffee. She pulled her coat closer to her and Clark shook his head sending droplets of water flying. He looked down at her, took off his jacket and held it over her head.

She glanced up at him and I saw a beaming smile light up her face. They started to walk up the street and before they had even gotten five feet Clark placed an arm around Chloe’s waist, lightly lifted her against his side, took a few steps, and placed her down.

She turned her face up and gave him an odd look. He motioned to a large puddle on the ground and she gave him a warm smile. He was talking and I focused on his lips so I could try and see what he was saying.

“I know how much you like those shoes.”

She nodded.

“They’re my favorite. Thanks Clark.”

She wrapped her hands around his arm as he held the jacket over her head and they continued walking down the street. I watched Chloe laugh before running out from under the jacket and twirling around in the rain with her face looking up at the sky.

Clark shook his head and I watched his body shake with laughter. The look he gave her was one of pure adoration. She said something I was too far away to hear or see and took off. I watched Clark grin before following her lead and jogging down the sidewalk after her.

I smiled. This is what everyone misses…what everyone doesn’t get. The moments that they don’t see…the reason I leave Clark alone and don’t harass him to commit to my cousin. He loves her…it’s in every movement, every look, every touch, every playful grin.

He never forgets her coffee in the morning. He’ll run to Smallville to get her coffee because he knows that as much as Chloe loves caffeine and she’ll drink any kind, her favorite is from the Talon. He keeps gum of all flavors in the bottom drawer of his desk because he knows if Chloe isn’t drinking coffee she’s chewing gum.

Whenever Clark goes out on a mission with the Justice League, right before they all leave, his eyes connect with Chloe and even though they don’t say anything, I know they’re having their own private conversation. They have the kind of indescribable connection that most people wish for.

When Chloe first told me she and Clark were an ‘item’ I was definitely on the top of the ‘you can do better than Clark Kent’ bandwagon. It wasn’t until I watched them interact with each other that I got a better understanding of the type of relationship they have.

It’s days like these, as the rain pours down that you can almost feel the love between them. The way he takes care of her and watches out for her. It’s the small moments…the miniscule details that no one sees that shows how in love Clark is with my cousin.

People might think Clark sees Chloe as expendable, but I know the truth. I know he’d be utterly lost without her…She’s his guiding light…his voice of reason…the one person who drives him to be a better man…she’s his heart…without Chloe there probably wouldn’t be a superman…

I sighed, tossed the large latte into the trash and darted across the street through the rain to the front door of the Daily Planet. I shook my head lightly as I opened the door and walked inside. I turned back, glanced out the window, and watched the rain falling steadily.

I guess the saying is true…behind every great man is a great woman…so let people think what they want…Clark is a good man…I know he’s in love with my baby cousin and I wouldn’t have it any other way…

1 comment:

  1. The Chlark sooo cute it melted my heart. :-) i love this, usually i don't like EDlois but you made me like her in this ficly, so props to you ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)