August 20, 2009

A Family Is Born Chapter (2/13)



Chapter 3

Chapter 2
“What’s Done Is Done”
(George POV)



I walked next door after Anne finally settled in for the night. I glanced at the clock on the stove as I walked through the kitchen door. 1:15…jeez and I thought 1am feedings and diaper changes were done with. I sighed as I made my way down the hall. That’s weird; I don’t hear John crying…maybe Amy got him down already?

I pushed open her door quietly and what I saw brought me to a halt. My brows creased and I opened my mouth to say something, but decided against it. I can’t remember the last time I saw my little girl getting a good night’s sleep.

Amy was sleeping on her side facing John’s travel crib and Ricky was spread out on the chair on the other side of John. His jacket was balled behind his head, his shoes were by the side of the bed, and he had one hand over the side of the chair and the other leaning on John’s crib.

You know truth be told I hate that kid for getting my Amy pregnant, but he’s been true to his word so far. Ricky Underwood loves his son, and trust me that’s something I know for sure. There’s a lot about him that hasn’t changed. I know he’s still seeing Adrian, I know they’re still having sex…and he’s probably sleeping with other people too.

But he’s been here everyday since Johns been born. Whatever Ricky does with his free time is his business as long as he keeps being there for his son and my daughter; he’s okay in my book. I walked out of the room and quietly closed the door behind me.

I went back into the kitchen and looked around. Jeez it looks like a tornado hit…I sighed and shook my head. I started picking up toys and cleaning up the house. I might as well help Anne out a little…


(Ricky POV)

I was startled awake by John’s whimpers. I groaned slightly and shifted in the chair. I winced and glanced at the clock. The red light blared 2:45. I sat up and rubbed a hand over my face. I saw Amy stirring so I lifted John out of his crib quickly to quiet his cries.

“Shhhh it’s okay buddy. Daddy’s here. Come on…lets let mommy get some sleep.”

I walked toward the door quietly, opened it, and gently shut it behind me. I rubbed my eyes with one hand as I walked down the darkened hallway. I could see a light on in the kitchen and I sighed. Amy’s mom must be up. I hope she doesn’t get angry that I’m still here.

I really have been trying hard to get Amy’s parents to like me. I know I ruined their daughters life…but we got John out of it…I’ve dealt with that. I’ve accepted the fact that I’m going to have to do this for the rest of my life, I’m not sure Amy has yet though and I think that’s why she’s having such a hard time.

That’s also another reason why I need Amy’s family to like me, because they are my son’s family and I want him to always have that…a family to go to…because I never did. I walked into the kitchen and stopped in my tracks. George was at the sink washing dishes. He glanced up and nodded in my direction.

“I was going to come in and get him, but I figured one of you had him since he didn’t cry.”

I nodded.

“Yeah, I thought maybe Amy could use some sleep. I uh…I know it’s late and it isn’t what it looks like I swear. I left earlier, but Amy was having trouble with John and she called me. She said Anne told her too…so I just…”

He cut me off with a wave of his hand. He shut the water, turned around, and leaned against the counter. He eyed me for a couple of minutes as I rocked John lightly.

“Ricky listen up; because I’m only gonna say this once and then I’ll probably deny it later if anyone asks. You don’t need an invitation to come over here and see or help out with John. You don’t need permission to stay here when Amy needs help.”

I swallowed hard as he continued to speak.

“I know you’re not the greatest guy in the world…”

I frowned and went to cut him off, but he stopped me.

“But you are there for my grandson and my daughter and you have been since the minute he was born and I respect that. You’ve grown up in a lot of ways since John was born; it hasn’t been as easy for Amy. She was a lot more sheltered then you were growing up.”

“I know.”

“I’m not done. I know you had to take care of yourself a lot, and adding John to the mix is hard, but not unmanageable. Amy’s always had us to take care of her and I think lately…I don’t know…all I see is my baby girl unhappy. If you being here helps her, then Ricky you’ll always be welcome in this house.”

I wasn’t sure what to say. George knows the kind of person I am…he knows the things I’ve done and still do…I’m almost positive he knows I’m still sleeping with Adrian and yet here he is complimenting me. Telling me I’m doing a good job of being a father…after everything I’ve done to his family.

I felt my eyes start to burn and I blinked away tears. I cleared my throat before speaking.

“Thanks Mr. Juergens…I…just thank you. I know that I’m not perfect…far from it, but I love my son. I’d do anything for John.”

He nodded and clasped a hand over my shoulder and grinned.

“It’s George, and I know Ricky. Now my grandson looks hungry, why don’t you get him a bottle while I go see what else needs to be cleaned up in this wreck of a house.”

I laughed lightly and nodded. He walked out of the room and I moved around the kitchen making John his bottle. John started to whimper again and I jiggled him lightly.

“Shhh buddy, daddy’s making your bottle.”

I yawned as a wave of exhaustion hit me. This is the third time he’s woken up since I’ve been here. It’s not like I thought Amy was lying when she said she was tired, I just thought she was over exaggerating…I didn’t realize he woke up this much.

No wonder she’s been so stressed and angry lately…I don’t know how she’s been doing this by herself…


(Amy POV)
I groaned and rolled over, cuddling into my pillow. My eyes popped open and I sat up quickly. I glanced at the clock 5:45…oh my god…John. I whipped my head around and was about to panic when I saw Ricky sleeping in the chair by my bed, with John across his chest.

I let out a sigh of relief. Oh god…thank god. I thought I slept through John crying and everything. I’ve been so tired lately…but well…I’m actually feeling slightly rested today. I let a small smile appear on my face as I got up and walked toward Ricky.

I shook him on the arm lightly and he stirred. He ran a hand over his face and opened his eyes slowly. He scrunched his nose and I couldn’t help thinking he looked adorable when he woke up in the morning. I shook the thought out of my head.

“Ricky…wake up, it’s morning.”

He waved my hand away and stretched while keeping one arm around John. His voice was sleep addled.

“Stop poking at me…I’m up.”

I laughed lightly and he glanced up at me with a tired smile.

“Wow…was that a laugh? It’s been a while since I heard one of those from you.”

I nodded.

“It’s been a while since I felt like laughing…thanks for last night…for helping with John.”

He nodded and sat up.

“No problem.”

I looked at him for a few minutes as he looked down at John.

“You didn’t wake me…I mean when he woke up.”

Ricky shrugged without looking at me.

“Yeah, I know…I thought maybe you could use a night of sleep.”

I gave him a sincere smile.

“Thanks Ricky. Umm I’m gonna grab a shower. I need to start getting ready so I can get John ready for the nursery.”

He stood up and yawned again.

“I’ll get John ready while you shower. Your dad was here last night if he’s still here I’ll get John ready and leave him with your dad so I can go home and get ready too.”

I nodded.

“Okay.”

I made my way into the bathroom and started the shower. I stripped off my pajamas and got in. I felt the hot water cascading over my body and I sighed. oh god…that feels amazing…there’s nothing like a hot shower to relax at the start of the day…

*****
Twenty-five minutes later I was dressed and ready for the day. I walked out of my room, down the hall, and into the kitchen. I smiled as I saw my dad holding John. I bent down and moved the blanket to see him in fresh clothes.

“Good morning little fella…”

I looked up and around the kitchen. It was spotless. I looked toward my dad with wide eyes.

“Wow, dad did you do all this?”

He shrugged with a smile.

“I was up anyway.”

My smile turned into a grin.

“Dad, thank you! I really really appreciate it.”

“No problem.”

He glanced down at my outfit and frowned slightly.

“Is that what you’re wearing to school?”

I glanced down.

“Yes, is there something wrong with it?”

“Yes there’s something wrong with it.”

Here we go…I don’t know why everyone is on my case about the clothes I wear. I was pregnant, I just had a baby, I’m not going to go and sleep with Ben or anyone else just because I’m wearing a slightly low cut shirt. I folded my arms across my chest.

“Have you been talking to Ben?”

“No, I’ve been talking to Mimsy. She thinks you and your mother have been showing your figures off a little too much.”

I laughed.

“Our figures?”

“You know what I’m sayin’. Cover up kid you’re a mom now and you don’t want to be a mom again. Not when you mom’s gonna be a mom again.”

I gave him a slightly shocked look.

“She told you?”

“I knew.”

I nodded.

“Yeah…well we all knew. I’m just…shocked.”

“Yeah well I think your mom’s a little shocked too. I don’t think this was planned so don’t make her feel bad. You owe her.”

“Yeah I know that. I’m trying…I’m trying to do for her what she did for me…even though I shouldn’t have to.”

He made a face.

“Well she shouldn’t have had to either. Ames your mom is a good woman and she’s been through a lot. Now I don’t know how this happened, but it doesn’t matter. We’re all gonna support each other’s mistakes, because that’s what a family is.”

He looked down at John before continuing.

“Apparently our family makes a few more mistakes then other families, not that our little John here was a mistake, but you never know what’s going to be good for the world around you and what isn’t. So don’t judge her, got it?”

I nodded. He was right.

“Yeah. I got it.”

I leaned in smiled, and gave him a kiss on the cheek before moving over to the fridge to grab the milk. I glanced over my shoulder as I was getting out a bowl.

“Did Ricky leave?”

He nodded.

“Yeah, he said he had to go home and get ready for school. He said he’d see you there.”

I nodded. My dad cleared his throat as I poured the cereal into the bowl.

“So Ricky really came through last night…”

I ate a spoonful of cereal and nodded.

“Yeah, mom told me to call him, so I did. He came right over and helped me settle John down. I must have fallen asleep not long after and I didn’t wake up until this morning. I don’t think I’ve gotten this much sleep since John was born.”

I faced him and smiled. He had a worried look on his face when the phone rang. He looked at me for a second, sighed, and answered the phone.

“Hello.”

I stood and ate as I listened to his conversation. He grinned.

“Yeah I know, you told me last night.”

He sighed.

“Who died?”

He must have meant it as a joke, but then I saw the humor leave his face as his body tensed. I froze and I felt my blood run cold at his next words.

“Oh god…it’s not Ashley…”

I saw him sigh in relief and my heart beat quickened. Oh god…if it’s not Ashley…what if it’s Ricky…what if he left here this morning and was so tired from taking care of John last night that he fell asleep at the wheel on the way home…

I grabbed onto the counter and paled. My dad looked over at me with worry on his face. I opened my mouth and I heard my voice stutter.

“D ddad…is it…R..Ricky?”

He frowned and motioned for me to wait a minute. His face fell and he grunted a few times.

“Yeah Anne…I’ll let her know…no it’s fine. I’ll take John and Amy today. Yeah…”

He hung up the phone and looked at me. I shook my head and he held my arm.

“Ricky’s fine…it’s not Ricky…Ames…Dr. Bowman was killed in a plane crash last night.”

I took a step back and placed a hand over my mouth.

“Oh my god…Grace…”

He nodded. She’s such a good person…I can’t believe this happened to her…I need to go over there at some point today and make sure she’s okay…I mean after all, she is partially responsible for helping me keep John. If it wasn’t for her and Jack…I would have had to give him up.

I feel so guilty…because even though I was hurting for Grace, a part of me was so relieve that it wasn’t Ashley or Ricky…and I didn’t even want to think about the fact that Ricky popped into my head before Ben…I wanted to say it was because he just left and he was driving…

Or that I was worried because he’s John’s father…But unfortunately…I’m not so sure that’s the reason…

(Ricky POV)

I had just finished getting ready when my cell phone rang. I glanced at the caller ID and it was Amy. I frowned. I hope John’s okay. I opened the phone and brought it to my ear.

“Hey Amy, what’s up?”

“Have you turned on the news this morning?”

I laughed lightly as I got my keys and headed to my car.

“I’m not exactly the news watching type.”

“Ricky…this is serious. Mr. Bowman was in a plane crash last night…”

Her voice lowered before she spoke again.

“He didn’t make it.”

I froze as I was opening the car door. Oh god…Mr. Bowman…Grace…Amy’s voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“Ricky, you still there?”

I shook my head.

“Yeah, sorry. Listen I need to run by Adrian’s and see if she heard about this before I get to school. I know she’s gotten close with Grace.”

“Okay.”

“I’ll see you at school.”

I closed the phone, started the car and headed toward Adrian’s house. When I got there I knocked frantically on her door. She opened it and gave me a smug smile. Before she could say anything I spoke.

“Have you seen the news this morning?”

She made a face.

“No, why what’s going on?”

“There was a plan crash last night…”

My voice trailed off and I saw Adrian pale as fear crossed her face.

“Oh my god…”

It took me a minute to realize what I just said. Crap her mom’s a flight attendant…I just scared the hell out of her. I moved into the apartment and grabbed her arm gently.

“No, Adrian, it’s not your mom. It was a private jet…”

Her eyes widened.

“Oh no…”

I nodded. Pain crossed her face.

“Grace…”

I nodded.

“It was her dad. He didn’t make it.”

I pulled Adrian into a hug and a couple of seconds later she pulled away shaking her head and grabbing her bag.

“I need to go see her. I have to make sure she’s okay.”

I nodded.

“I just wanted to come by and make sure you knew. I’m sure she could use a friend.”

She nodded as she pushed me toward the door.

“I’ll see you at school Ricky.”

I opened my mouth, she cut me off with a kiss, and ran to her car. I sighed. I’m going to have to stop by and see Grace…I’ll do it later though…I’ll let Adrian have some time with her.


(Adrian POV)
I made my way over to Grace’s house, speeding the whole way. I can’t believe her father’s dead. I parked my car, got out and knocked on the front door. I waited impatiently for someone to open it. The door swung open and Tom, Grace’s brother stood there looking at me.

“Hey Tom…I’m so sorry about your dad. Can I come in?”

He opened the door wider and gave me a dirty look.

“This is…your fault. You made Grace think sex is cool. So she had sex…with Jack…and now our dad is dead. She killed him and it was…your fault.”

I opened my mouth as I felt a wave of guilt sweep through me. No…how can he blame this on me…before I could get any words out Grace’s mom came over and frowned at Tom.

“This isn’t Adrian’s fault Tom. Please…stop.”

She glanced at me and tried to give me a small smile.

“Hello Adrian, thank you for coming by.”

I nodded.

“I’m…I’m so sorry about your husband Mrs. Bowman. How’s Grace?”

She shook her head and I could see worry on her face.

“She’s not doing too great. To be honest I’m not sure how’s she’s going to get through this.”

“Can I see her?”

She nodded.

“Of course. She’s in her room.”

I made my way upstairs and into Grace’s room. She was under her sheets and she didn’t answer me the first two times I called her name. She must really think this is her fault…god…poor Grace.

“Grace…this isn’t your fault. Do you hear me? What happened wasn’t your fault. It was an accident.”

She shifted under the blankets, but didn’t say anything. I sighed and looked up to the ceiling with a grimace as I spoke.

“I can’t believe you would do this to this family…”

Obviously talking to god got Grace’s attention because she pulled the covers down and sat up. She looked awful and I gave her a sympathetic look. Her voice was harsh when she spoke.

“He didn’t do this to this family…I did.”

“No…”

She cut me off.

“So just go home. I don’t want to talk to you. I don’t want to talk to anybody. Just get out!”

I swallowed hard but nodded.

“Okay…”

I turned around and right before leaving the room I looked back as she threw the covers over her head again. I felt helpless…Grace is the only friend I really have…and there isn’t anything I can do to help her. I just hope she’ll let me in eventually.


(Ben POV)
I walked down the hallway and spotted Amy at her locker switching out her books. I moved slowly over to her and gave her a grim smile.

“I guess you heard about Dr. Bowman?”

She nodded.

“I did.”

She pushed her hair behind her ear and she finished getting her stuff together.

“Mom and I wanted to go by to see Grace and her family this morning, take something by to them, but mom had work and I had to drop John off.”

She seemed more calm then last night, but slightly irritated that she couldn’t go see how Grace was doing so I thought I’d try to make the situation better.

“Maybe we should go over there after school?”

She turned to me and gave me an incredulous laugh.

“How am I going to do that? I have to go to work.”

I nodded.

“Right yeah…”

She made a face.

“And you have to go to work…”

I glanced down for a couple of seconds and her voice got louder as she spoke in an angry tone.

“Are you staring at my breasts again?”

I gave her a shocked looked. Crap…why do my eyes always wonder down…jeez maybe if she stopped wearing shirts like that…

“No…no I’m sad…I’m a…looking down because I am down. I’m sad.”

She glared at me. I guess she didn’t buy that excuse…I’ll have to come up with a better one next time…

“You’re disgusting.”

I didn’t want to fight with her, but I was getting really sick of the way she was acting. If she doesn’t want people looking then maybe she shouldn’t wear the clothes she’s been wearing lately. I stood my ground when I spoke and told her just that.

“If you don’t want me to look at you…”

I motioned around the hallway.

“If you don’t want every guy in the school to look at you then why do you…dress like that?”

Her glare just deepened. Great…way to go Ben.

“Because I want to.”

I gave her a thoughtful look.

“Well that’s kind of hard to argue with. But why do you want to?”

Before she could give me an answer Madison and Lauren made there way over to us and I knew the conversation was over. I sighed. Something always gets in the way of us finishing a serious argument…it’s nothing new…

“Why do you want to do what?”

She shook her head as she spoke to Madison.

“Nothing.”

They were talking about going to visit Grace and Amy seemed slightly irritated that they didn’t realize she couldn’t just drop everything and go visit Grace. I knew she really wanted to go so I decided to try and help out yet again.

“I can babysit.”

She gave me an amused look before shooting me down.

“No, I don’t think so.”

She never lets me do anything with John unless she’s there. How does she expect us to bond and be a family if she doesn’t trust me with him. I frowned as I turned to face her.

“Why not?”

“Ben, you’ve never been alone with John.”

“I’ll bring Alice and Henry along.”

“No Ben.”

She slammed her locker shut and I tuned out the rest of her conversation with Madison and Lauren. It was really starting to make me angry the way she never let me in anymore. Ever since John was born the only other person aside from her family that she lets spend any time with him is Ricky.

He’s always over there spending time with the two people I care about most and I’m not sure how much longer I can handle that. I watched Madison and Lauren walk away and turned to Amy.

“I can help, just let me watch John.”

“Ben, I love you, well most of the time anyway and I really appreciate you offering to help, but you’ve never even changed John’s diaper. I just don’t think it’s a good idea. Maybe next time okay?”

I sighed and she tried giving me a small smile.

“I gotta get to class. I’ll talk to you later.”

I watched her disappear down the hall and I shook my head. I love Amy…but I thought when John was born the three of us would be a family. I didn’t expect Ricky to be this involved and I didn’t expect Amy to want him around this much. Things just weren’t turning out the way I thought they would…


(Amy POV)

I made my way down the hall and saw Ricky talking to Adrian at her locker. I really didn’t want to interrupt them, but if Ricky can’t watch John then I was going to have to see if I could make other arrangements. I took a deep breath and walked over to them. I tried to give Adrian a small smile before I spoke.

“Hi Adrian…”

She gave me a somewhat dirty look before mumbling a hello.

“Hey Ricky, sorry to interrupt, but um I was wondering if you could come over tonight to watch John for a little while so my mom and I can go visit Grace. If you’re not busy I mean.”

Ricky opened his mouth to answer, but Adrian cut him off. She spoke with an attitude.

“She doesn’t want to see anyone. I went over there on my way to school.”

I nodded. That’s understandable, but still, going over to give my condolences is the right thing to do.

“My mom and I just want to go by for a few minutes. Give our condolences and stuff.”

She made a face as she clutched her books tightly to her chest and moved closer to Ricky.

“No. I just said she doesn’t want to see anyone.”

I tried a different tactic, because I was sick and tired of her always giving me an attitude. I really don’t deserve it and I’m tired of being pushed around by everyone.

“Listen Adrian, Grace was a big part of what made it possible for me to keep John. If it wasn’t for her and Jack, I probably would have had to give him up for adoption. So, the least I can do is stop by and give her my condolences after what happened to her dad. I’m sorry you can’t understand that.”

She glared at me and let out a little sarcastic laugh before speaking.

“Listen I know you think you’re an adult now that you’re a mother, but you’re not. So, stop acting like you’re older and wiser than anyone else. Who says Grace, Mrs. Bowman and Tom want you and your mother over there? I’ll take care of Grace okay? She’s my friend. She’s my best friend!”

“She’s my friend too.”

Adrian opened her mouth, but before she could say anything Ricky spoke.

“Adrian, cut it out. Amy’s right, we’re all friends with Grace, and we all care how she’s doing.”

Adrian glared at him before slamming her locker and walking away. I shook my head and Ricky turned his attention to me.

“So, can you watch John?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“So, are you going over there? To Grace’s I mean?”

He sent a glare my way and when he spoke his voice was harsh.

“We’re not married I don’t have to tell you what my plans are Amy…”

He trailed off and I shut my mouth. I felt a stab go through my heart at his tone. God…and to think I thought Ricky and I were starting to understand each other…I thought we were finally starting to become friends…I guess I was wrong. I shook my head and spoke as I started to walk away.

“Whatever Ricky…”

I hadn’t gotten three feet when his hand caught my arm and he called out.

“Hey…wait.”

I turned and gave him a questioning look. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

“Look…I’m sorry. It’s been a crazy morning. I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night, because I wanted you to be able to at least get a night off after all this time. I didn’t realize how much work went into being with John at night…and I’m ah…sorry about that too. But everything…with the lack of sleep, Grace’s dad, and Adrian being pissed at me…I snapped.”

My face softened slightly and I nodded. I spoke in a toneless voice.

“A lack of sleep will do that to you…trust me I know.”

“Listen I have work tonight at the butcher shop, but when I get out how about we both go see Grace. We can bring John…maybe it will help her to…to see some of the good she’s done or somethin’.”

I gave him a surprised look.

“Really?”

“Yeah. I’ll come by the house when I get out. I can drive, or we can drive with your mom. Whatever works.”

This time my face did soften. He gave me a small smirk and the bell rang.

“I gotta go.”

He nodded and I ran down the hall to my first class. I can’t believe the day is just starting…It feels like I’ve been up for hours already…this day can’t end soon enough…


(Ricky POV)
I moved away from the table and grabbed another basket as Ben started in again about watching John. I’m really getting sick of him talking my ear off. I’m not in the mood to deal with his crap today. I just want to get work over with, head over to Amy’s, go see Grace and go home to sleep.

“I can babysit…you know I can babysit. You don’t have to come over every night if you don’t want to.”

I read over the order and started putting the basket together as I spoke to him in an irritated tone.

“I want to. And no you can’t, you can’t babysit. You’ve never been around a baby before in your life.”

I glanced over as he tried to package the meat. I rolled my eyes.

“You can’t even get that veal chop into the box.”

He looked down and tried a different way. I sighed and gave him a sympathetic look as I spoke.

“Look Amy just doesn’t want to hurt your feelings, but you’re not even that good at holding John and you’ve yet to change a diaper.”

I continued putting the basket together as Bunny came over.

“Baby, baby, baby…does this look like a baby store? Are we selling babies here?”

Ben gave her a goofy smile.

“Uh, baby cow…veal chop.”

“If you got a problem with veal you’re workin’ in the wrong place.”

I cleared my throat and spoke up.

“We may need to be off tomorrow.”

Ben cut in.

“Why?”

I gave him an ‘are you stupid look.’

“For a funeral.”

He gave me a slight glare.

“How do you know when it is?”

Bunny cut in.

“What funeral? Don’t tell me we have a mutual deceased friend.”

“It’s Dr. Bowman, Grace’s dad…she’s our friend…Grace.”

I added to that.

“And so was he…”

“I didn’t know you knew the Bowman’s.”

Ben pointed at me.

“He dated Grace Bowman for a short period of time.”

She turned in my direction and smiled at me.

“Good choice. Nice girl. The Bowman’s go to my church. So I guess we’re going to have to flip a coin to see who’s going to go…oh no wait a minute. I know two people who can cover for me tomorrow afternoon…you two.”

“I have to be there for Grace…”

She pointed a cleaver at Ben and me.

“Well one of you needs to be here so make a decision on who’s doing what.”

She walked away and I sighed. Great…something else I can fight about with Ben…this day can’t end soon enough…


(Anne POV)
I grabbed my sweater and pulled it on as I walked into the foyer. I saw Amy rummaging through her bag and I sighed.

“Let’s go Amy. I’m tired. I just want to go and get back. It’s been a long day.”

I bent down to go through my purse and Amy gave a little laugh.

“You’re tired? Just wait until the baby gets here. Then you’ll be tired.”

I rolled my eyes. Her attitude is really starting to get on my nerves. My teenager daughter is attempting to school me on having children…because I didn’t raise her and her sister.

“I know what it’s like to have a baby…I’ve had two of them.”

“I know that. You’ve probably just forgotten…it’s been awhile.”

I placed a hand to my head in an attempt to keep my temper. When she spoke again her voice was less confrontational.

“How’d it go with David?”

I stopped what I was doing and looked at her. I gave her a thoughtful look before answering.

“I think it went okay.”

She nodded and I glanced around.

“Where’s Ricky?”

She shrugged.

“He said he’d be here as soon as he got out of work.”

I nodded and was about to say something when there was a knock at the door. It opened a second later and Ricky poked his head in before making his way inside.

“Sorry I’m late. I was helping Ben finish some things up at the butcher shop. Did you want me to drive?”

I Smiled at Ricky.

“That’s okay Ricky, I’ll drive us.”

Amy waved.

“I’m gonna grab John, can you get his bag? It’s in the kitchen.”

He nodded and made his way into the other room. I have to admit if you asked me three months ago what I thought about Ricky Underwood the most flattering thing I would have said about him is he’s good looking for a kid his age. But now…after these past three months…I can’t help, but like him.

Ricky is far from perfect and he has his share of problems, but he has been here for John since the minute he was born. He’s really stepped up and I think his willingness to help says a lot. We went outside and I glanced at the two teenagers as they loaded John and his things into the car.

They worked together with such synchronized movements that it made a fleeting thought cross my mind…I wonder…I shook my head. Now is definitely not the time to think about that…there was already enough going on…


(Amy POV)
We got to Grace’s and piled out of the car. Mom took the food platter and I took John. Ricky stood by us with his hands in his pocket. I rang the doorbell and Tom let us in. He said his mom was in the kitchen. We walked in behind my mom and my eyes widened as I saw my dad giving Grace’s mom a massage.

I opened my mouth, closed it and glanced at Ricky. Ricky’s eyebrow was raised as he looked at my dad. Dad looked like a deer caught in headlights.

“Hi Anne…”

My mom ignored him and looked at Mrs. Bowman.

“Hi…Kathleen…how are you doing?”

“Not so good, but thanks for asking…”

Grace’s mom looked over at us and she smiled.

“Hello Ricky, how are you?”

He smiled.

“I’m doing good Mrs. Bowman…I’m so sorry about Mr. Bowman…”

His voice trailed off and she came over to us and put a hand on his shoulder.

“Thank you Ricky…that means a lot.”

She smiled at me.

“Hello Amy…and this must be John. He’s a beautiful baby.”

I smiled.

“Thanks Mrs. Bowman…we were wondering if it was okay if we went to see Grace.”

She nodded.

“Of course. She’s upstairs in her room.”

We nodded and Ricky nudged me with his shoulder. We left the adults to talk while we made our way up to Grace’s room. Her door was open, but I felt weird just walking in. Ricky knocked on the door and called out to her.

“Grace…it’s Ricky…I brought Amy and John with me…we all just wanted to come see how your were doing.”

She looked at Ricky and then glanced over at me and John. She didn’t say much so I cleared my throat and spoke.

“Hey Grace…I just…I wanted to come give you my condolences and tell you how sorry I am about your father. After all you’ve done for me…for us…I just…want to do whatever I can to help you.”

Grace stood up and fiddled with something in her hands before speaking.

“Well…you can’t do anything for me…nobody can do anything for me…and I don’t want you to do anything for me. We both got what we deserved.”

I heard Ricky take a deep breath beside me and I frowned. I was about to ask her what she was talking about when she looked at John and continued.

“You had sex and you got pregnant…I had sex and I killed my father. I was punished more than you were though I guess because I knew better than you did and I enjoyed it more than you did.”

I felt Ricky tense beside me as I held John closer to my body. How could she say something like that…


(Ricky POV)
Okay, this conversation just took a turn for the worse. I know Grace is hurting and that’s why she’s saying these things, but enough is enough…She’s calling my son a punishment. I cleared my throat and spoke in a soft tone.

“That’s kind of harsh Grace.”

She glanced at me and shrugged.

“It’s the truth…”

I opened my mouth and I heard Amy’s voice next to me. Her tone wasn’t mean, but it was hard and it sounded like she might be close to tears.

“John is not a punishment for anything.”

Grace looked up at her and Amy turned to go, but then turned back around.

“I’m very sorry for your lose Grace…”

Her voice trailed off and she walked out of the room with John. I sighed. I could see she was upset...I looked back at Grace.

“I’m sorry too Grace. And if you need anything…anything at all…I’m around.”

I gave her a tight smile before making my way down the stairs. When I got to the bottom I saw Amy sitting on the step with John. I walked down and stood in front of them. I gave her a look and she motioned toward the kitchen.

“They’re fighting again.”

I listened and heard her mother and father arguing in Grace’s kitchen. I glanced down at Amy and she looked miserable. I nudged her lightly with my foot and she glanced up.

“What?”

“Grace is just upset…you know she didn’t mean that about John right?”

She shrugged.

“Amy…we messed up…big time, but John’s not a punishment…he’s a…a…”

She looked up at me with amusement on her face when I couldn’t think of the right word. So, I grinned.

“He’s a blessing…”

She actually chuckled at that.

“Nice Ricky…”

Amy’s mom and dad took that moment to come out of the kitchen. Anne glanced at us and spoke quietly.

“Are you two ready to head out?”

Amy and I nodded.

“Okay let’s go.”

Anne ignored George on the way out, Amy shook her head and gave him a look of disappointment, and I shrugged and waved. He smirked and waved back. The ride back to Amy’s was uneventful. My phone rang when we were unloading John and his stuff.

I glanced down and saw that it was Adrian. I answered the phone.

“Hang on a second.”

I covered the mouth piece and spoke to Amy.

“I think I’m gonna head out, I’m kind of tired. Are you good here?”

She nodded.

“Yeah. Thanks for coming. I’ll see you later Ricky.”

I nodded, gave John a kiss on the head, and waved to Amy’s mom.

“See you tomorrow.”

I got into my car and started it.

“Hey sorry about that. What’s up?”

“Where are you?”

“I’m just leaving Amy’s. Why you wanna hang out?”

“Ruben’s home.”

I let out an irritated sigh.

“Great…how are we ever going to be able to have sex if your father is always there?”

“Oh calm down Ricky. Come over and park. I’ll come out to you.”

“Okay…I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

“Just call me when you get here.”

I hung up the phone and turned off of Amy’s street. After the day I’ve had I could use a little quality time with Adrian if you know what I mean…I love John and I love being a dad, but god it’s tiring…people don’t tell you how much work it is…


And the situation Amy and I are in makes it even harder. Not only are we teenage parents, but she has Ben in her life and I have Adrian, which just adds irritation to the mix. Ben fights with me, Adrian fights with her and they resent us…
It’s all just a hassle…at least I’m not tied to Adrian like Amy is to Ben…I can walk away whenever I want…but tonight was not that night…tonight I’m going to go have sex with Adrian and get my mind off of my issues…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)