October 1, 2009

A Trip to the Bank


Title: A Trip to the Bank
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: No pairing
Edited By: dh1031
Category: One-Shot
Requested By: Sabrina



(Chloe POV)

I rummaged through my purse as I walked through the open door of the Smallville Savings and Loan Bank. I scrunched up my nose and my hand dug deeper. When my hand closed around the thin plastic card I grinned.

“Ah ha! There you are.”

I pulled out the card and held it up in triumph. Not that anyone was actually paying attention to me. I walked over to the left where the shortest line was and sighed. You’d think with the growing population they’d open another bank or at least expand this one…

I glanced at my watch. 2:45…I’m supposed to be meeting Clark and the guys at 3 at the Talon. Hopefully this doesn’t take much longer. About five minutes later the person in front of me went up to the teller. Right as she opened her mouth there was a loud crash from behind me.

Several people turned and when I twisted my head around what I saw made my blood run cold. Three guys with black ski masks and guns were standing in front of the entrance. Damn…I knew I should have gone to the bank in Metropolis…

One guy closed the door and locked it up another moved toward the side where the bank manager’s office was and the third one stayed facing all of us gun pointed in the general direction of the tellers and all of the banks customers.

“Alright, nobody move. I want everyone to slowly walk over to the left side of the room.”

When no one moved his voice boomed in the small bank.

“NOW! MOVE!”

People started scurrying over to the left and huddling together. The bank manager must have heard the commotion and come out to check on things. Kristy, that’s her name graduated Smallville High the year before Clark and me. She walked out of her office and you could hear the irritation in her voice.

“What the hell is going…”

Her voice trailed off when she looked around. Her eyes widened slightly and I saw her arm reach up and behind her. I glanced at where she was reaching and saw the red panic button. Oh god no…I opened my mouth right as her fingers were about to touch it and loud bang rang out.

People cowered together and clamped their eyes shut, but I couldn’t close mine. I watched as her body jerked from the force of the bullet before her body dropped in a heap on the ground. I could see blood starting to pool around her body.

One of the guys looked between Kristy and the guy who shot her.

“What the hell man! We said in and out…no casualties.”

“She was gonna hit the panic button…”

“Shit man…”

I stood up slowly and the guy must have seen me out of the corner of his eye because he turned his body toward me and trained the gun on me. I held up my hands and before I could say anything he spoke.

“Move any closer and I’ll shoot…sit back down.”

I swallowed hard and motioned toward Kristy’s limp body.

“I can help her…please…if you don’t let me help her…she’ll die…robbing a bank and killing someone are two completely different crimes buddy…just let me help her…”

He stood there for a couple of minutes watching me and then motioned with his gun for me to go to Kristy. I did. One of the guys helped me bring her into the office.

“Stay in there with her.”

The guy with me nodded.

“I’m on it.”

I closed the door halfway as the guy sat there with his gun trained on me watching my every move. I pulled Kristy’s shirt out of the way. There was so much blood. There’s no time to even try to stop it, I just need to heal her…I glanced at the guy and took a deep breath.

I placed my hands over Kristy’s wound, closed my eyes and focused. I could feel the warmth in my hands grow and behind my eyes I could see a light. I heard the guy crash his chair and swear. I opened my eyes, the light dimmed, and a couple seconds later Kristy’s eyes popped open and she sucked in a deep breath.

She glanced around frantically. My body was exhausted. I glanced down on her and spoke in a quiet voice.

“Hey, do you know who I am?”

She frowned, squinted her eyes, and cleared her throat before speaking.

“Chloe? Chloe Sullivan right? We went to high school together.”

I smiled and nodded.

“Yeah. You’re gonna be okay now.”

I helped her sit up and when I glanced up two out of the three guys were standing there staring at me.

“What are you?”

I frowned.

“Excuse me?”

He cocked his gun and pointed it at my head.

“I’m going to ask you one more time and then you’ll be the next person to get shot. What the hell are you?”

I sighed.

“I’m human…I just…I have gifts I guess you could say…”

“What kinds of gifts?”

“I can heal people okay?”

I watched as Kristy glanced down at herself and saw the blood all over her shirt. Her face paled and she looked at me quickly.

“I…you…”

I nodded and tried to make my voice as comforting as I could.

“You’re going to be fine now Kristy don’t worry.”

She shut her mouth and nodded. A yell from outside the office got our attention.

“Guys! We got a problem here…someone must have heard the shot and called it in. We got cops outside.”

They swore under their breath. One guy ran out and I could hear him telling one of the tellers to get up and load the bag of cash up for them. I was looking out the door trying to see what was going on when a hand clamped on my upper arm and yanked me up.

“You’re coming with us.”

I tried to yank my arm away from him, but he shoved the gun into the side of my head and I grunted. The other two guys looked over at him and they yelled out.

“We got the money. Let’s get the hell out of here.”

They dragged me with them and when we came out the door there were at least three cop cars surrounding the bank. I glanced around and my eyes landed on Clark, Bart, and Oliver were standing next to him with worry on their face.

I opened my mouth, but before I could call out to Clark the guy holding me yelled at the police.

“Get back! Let us get in our car or we’ll kill the girl…BACK UP!”

I watched as they moved slightly out of the way, but didn’t drop their weapons. Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Clark, Oliver and Bart talking. They better be over there figuring out how to get me out of this mess…I could feel myself being shoved in the car.

I grabbed on the top, trying to prevent myself from being thrown in. Right as they shoved my head under something slammed into the guy behind me and he went down. Then the second guy flew back into the brick wall.

The third guy whipped his head around frantically, pointed his gun and I closed my eyes as his finger pulled back on the trigger. All of a sudden my body was slammed to the ground. Several shots were fired as I felt my head crack back on the pavement and things got blurry before everything went black.

*****

I shifted my body and winced at the protest from my muscles. I scrunched up my face before slowly opening my eyes. I groaned and lifted a hand to cover my eyes as the bright light hit them.

“Hey there Chloelicious…we were wondering when you’d wake up.”

I glanced over to my right side and Bart was leaning against the wall grinning. I turned my head slightly to the left and Oliver was sitting on the arm of a chair. He smiled and waved. Ugh I feel like I was hit by a truck…

“Why does my head feel like a ten ton truck ran it over?”

I pushed my body up so I was in a half sitting half lying position. I glanced around the room and noticed Clark through the open door talking to the doctor. Oliver shook his head.

“A little miss calculation on the rescue. Bart was knocking guys down I was helping the police and Clark misjudged the amount of force he used to tackle you to the ground so you didn’t get hit in the crossfire.”

I opened my mouth, but Clark’s voice cut me off.

“I’m so sorry Chlo…”

He walked into the room with worry on his face and sat down on the edge of the bed. I waved my hand at him.

“Are you kidding? You saved my life Clark…again…why are you apologize?”

“You have a concussion…and the doctor wants you to stay here over night, that’s why I’m apologizing. You also have a pretty big bump on that head of yours…are you okay?”

I smiled and placed my hand over his.

“I’m peachy…so someone want to tell me what happened?”

The guys looked at each other and Oliver shrugged before he turned to me.

“Three guys robbed the bank and apparently tried to kidnap you for your…and I quote ‘Alien healing powers’ which of course just made them look even crazier.”

I chuckled lightly.

“Wow…”

They nodded and Bart shook his head with a smirk on his face.

“Only you can find trouble in a bank Chloelicious…sometimes I think trouble follows you around to keep us in shape.”

I pouted and the guys laughed. Oliver glanced down at his watch and sighed.

“Well I need to head out, but we’ll have to get together and for coffee soon…and this time actually get the coffee.”

He smiled, came over, and leaned down placing a kiss on my cheek. He nodded at Clark and Bart.
“See you later Sidekick…Clark, Bart.”

He was gone seconds later.

“I should probably jet too. I’m supposed to be meeting up with AC and Victor.”

He took my hand, kissed it, and grinned.

“Feel better…later stretch.”

He saluted us, looked out the door to make sure no one was around and then sped off. I chuckled and shook my head before leaning it back against the bed.

“You doing okay Chlo?”

I nodded.

“Bright as rain…whatever that means.”

I could see him giving me a once over before his eyes met mine and he gave me a sheepish look.

“Sorry, I just want to make sure you’re okay…I was terrified when I saw him pull you out of that bank Chlo…I thought…I was worried…”

He shook his head and looked away from me.

“I thought I was gonna loose you…”

I frowned, grabbed his hand and spoke in a low voice.

“Hey…look at me Kent…”

He turned his head and I continued.

“You’re never gonna loose me. I’m not going anywhere…you’re my best friend…always. Got it?”

He grinned.

“Got it…”

I nodded and nudged him slightly.

“Put on the TV. If I’m stuck here for the night I’m gonna need some entertainment.”

He chuckled lightly, turned on the TV, and came back and sat next to me. He placed a friendly arm around my shoulders and I leaned against his chest. If I knew getting caught up in a bank robbery was going to make Clark all introspective and appreciative I would have done it sooner…

I smiled to myself and turned my attention to the movie. Hmm looks like I was right this morning…seems like today is turning out to be a pretty good day despite everything…

3 comments:

  1. Awww! I love and miss so much Chlark friendship C Thanks for writing this piece, it was lovely.

    regards
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey A!

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this story and guess what...your story is next! It's already finished so I should have it up by Monday the latest! Yay! :-) Haha. Thanks again for the comment!

    -C

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Bright as rain…whatever that means.”

    I'm slipping in my old age, the expression is right as rain, which is just another way of saying that everything is okay.

    :)

    Then again, I don't feel too bad, I mean Clark goofed and miscalculated the force he used that resulted in Chloe accidentally suffering a concussion. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)