September 30, 2009

A Family is Born Chapter (5/13)



Chapter 6



Chapter 5
“Born Free”
(Ashley POV)




I opened the door, walked into the kitchen, and smirked at the sight in front of me. Amy was folding laundry at the counter with a walkman on her head as she spoke out loud.

“Hello, my name is Amy Juergens. What is your name?”

I listened as she repeated the phrase in Italian. I rolled my eyes. I don’t know why she’s doing that…its not like she’s actually going to Italy. I slammed the door shut and her head whipped around. She glared in my direction as she pulled the headphones down and let them hang around her neck.

I shrugged.

“Not my fault.”

She sighed as I poured myself a glass of juice.

“You could have said something.”

“I don’t speak Italian.”

“I’m just learning a few phrases…”

“Wow, so you’re doing so well in school and you also have time to learn Italian and you’re a new mother…I’m impressed…only…”

My voice was sarcastic and she cut me off and crossed her arms over her chest.

“Only?”

“Only you’re not going to Bologna. You know you’re not going right?”

She rolled her eyes at me and gave me a nasty look.

“Yes Ashley, I know I’m not going. I’m just learning some phrases since Ben will be there all summer. I thought it might be nice for me to take some interest in it since he’s going there. Anything else you want to stick your nose into?”

“Whatever Amy.”

“Are you here for a reason Ashley?”

I shook my head. She really needs to stop feeling sorry for herself. I don’t know why she can’t just accept what happened and move forward.

“Yeah, dad wanted me to ask you something. Do you know mom’s engaged or don’t you?”

Her body froze and the anger left her face. Uh oh…I guess that’s a no. Oopps. Before either of us could say anything mom walked into the kitchen with the baby monitor.

“Okay, headphones off, you’re on duty now.”

She glanced over at me as she handed the monitor to Amy and smiled.

“Hi Ash.”

“Good morning…I’ll just be going now. I got what I came for.”

I gave them a tight smile and walked out the door. I sighed as I made my way back over to our house, opened the door, and walked inside. I spent the next few minutes getting my things together until dad came into the room. He raised an eyebrow in my direction. I sighed. and shook my head.

“I knew she didn’t tell her.”

I shrugged.

“Or, maybe she’s not engaged.”

“I saw him put the ring on her finger a week ago! And he’s been over there over there every night since then. No…those two are up to something.”

He grabbed his keys and briefcase as I grabbed my backpack.

“Maybe she said no…and I think the question at this point is are you up to something?”

He made a face.

“What would I be up to? No it’s definitely them. What are they up to?”

“Well, they’re having a baby…or they think they are. Maybe she thinks it’s not David’s you know…and maybe that’s why she’s not wearing that bid diamond ring you think you saw.”

“I did see it, it was huge…why would she hide it?”

He looked thoughtful for a minute as I glanced at him.

“Because she hasn’t decided she’s marrying him no matter whose baby it is.”

He gave me a false innocent look that I was far from buying.

“Well…maybe my vasectomy came undone…”

“Mmm or maybe you lied.”

“That’d be a pretty big lie…I don’t even know if I’m capable of telling a lie like that…and if I were…I don’t know what I’d do about it.”

“I know. We can go with Amy to Italy …we can summer in Bologna. It might be good to get away.”

He frowned at me and I smirked.

“Yeah it might, but A we don’t use summers abroad in this family and two people don’t go to Bologna to get away. They go there for something else entirely.”

I nodded.

“I know what they go there for.”

“How do you know?”

I shrugged.

“Amy.”

He looked about ready to pull his hair out.

“How does she know?”

“I don’t know, but there are lots of other things to do in Italy besides sex things…”

He sighed.

“We can’t just take off and go over there…and Amy has to know she can’t either.”

I nodded.

“Yeah, yeah…she already said this morning she knows she’s not going.”

“Good, then let’s stop all this Italy nonsense. Come on, we gotta get you to school.”

He put his coffee in a travel mug, opened the door and as I followed him out I spoke.

“You gotta tell her dad. You gotta tell mom…”

He looked over at me, gave me a sad look, nodded and headed toward the car. I just don’t get how I’m the most mature person out of my whole family…they all need to just grow up and be honest with each other…

(Ben POV)

I was putting my books into my bag when I heard a knock on my bedroom door. I turned around and saw Betty standing in the doorway, smiling.

“Good morning. I just wanted you to know that if you want breakfast, I can make it for you since you dad left for work early today.”

She was trying to be nice and I appreciate it, but I still don’t trust her 110 percent and I’m not sure how to act around her. my dad really cares about her, but I think he’s moving kind of fast…

“I had breakfast earlier Betty…sorry.”

She nodded and I saw her smile fade.

“Oh…”

“I have to get to school early this morning and get to the library so I can return these books on Italy.”

“Ah…right…”

She shuffled her feet by the door and I went back to putting everything in my bag. I heard her sigh and I looked back up as she started to walk into my room.

“Heck Benjamin, I usually just slip out the back door before you come downstairs, but well today I decided to be brave and I marched upstairs and I’m saying hello step-son, lets be friends.”

I was slightly shocked at her outburst and I felt sort of bad for not really trying to get to know her these past few weeks. I turned in her direction with my bag over my shoulder and gave her a small smile.

“And, I appreciate your bravery, but research and several mainstream movies have shown that the relationship between step-mother and step-son develops slowly…over time…lots of time.”

She gave a small laugh.

“Honey, there’s nothing slow about me. I mean even I know that.”

I laughed lightly.

“So…”

I wasn’t sure what to say so I just repeated her.

“So…”

“I hear you’re gonna go to Italy with Amy and the baby this summer. Is that really the latest?”

I shook my head.

“No, Amy and the baby are staying here. We discussed it and we thought it would be better for John if they stayed here. Truthfully, I’m a little relieved that they aren’t coming. I love Amy, but I was really looking forward to this time to get away from everything.”

She nodded.

“That’s understandable. I heard you’ve had a pretty long year.”

“Yeah, its been pretty intense.”

The room grew quiet and she glanced at the clock.

“How about I give you a ride to school today. We can talk more in the care.”

She smiled and I hesitated for a seconds before nodding.

“Okay, thanks Betty.”

“No problem.”

I followed her out of my room as we made out way to the car. She’s my dad’s fiancée. I at least owe her a chance…she may be a little strange, but my dad loves her. Moving too quickly or not…I should do this for him. And who knows maybe she won’t be as bad as I’ve been dreading…

(Ricky POV)

I sat at the kitchen table looking at my foster parents after telling them my most recent plan. This past week Amy and I have been talking about everything going on at her house and how we can come up with a good schedule that makes both of us happy for the summer and I came up with an idea, that I thought would be helpful to everyone, including me.

My foster mother grabbed a cup of coffee and walked back over to the table. She stood there with a worried look on her face as my foster father spoke.

“I think that’s a very sound decision.”

I glanced at her.

“I disagree.”

She sat down and I leaned closer to the table as I smiled at her. My voice was good natured when I spoke.

“I thought you might.”

“You’re not even 17 yet…”

I leaned my elbows on the table as I spoke. My foster parents are great people and that’s one of the reasons their approval is so important to me.

“I will be this summer…so I’m gonna get kicked out of the system in the next year anyway. So, I’d rather leave when I want to leave rather then get pushed out.”

She softened her face as she spoke.

“You may get pushed out of the system, but no one is pushing you out of here…and I’m not so sure this isn’t just an excuse. Do you know what’s involved in getting legally emancipated and becoming an adult?”

“Kind of, not entirely, but you’ve taken care of me long enough. It’s time for me to move out and get a place of my own and let the next Ricky get your help.”

“I think you still need our help…”

She sipped her coffee and I smiled. I’m always going to need their help. They were the first people who treated me good. The first people who showed me what a family could be like…they are the reason I want John to know his whole family…so he can have people like them to go to if he ever needs anything…

“I’ll probably always need your help, but I think we all know I grew up years ago. I had too…and now I’m a father and I have a job. I can do this…I’m ready.”

Before Margaret could say anything my foster-dad smiled.

“You’re a very responsible young man. I’m very proud of you. You’ve made a lot of progress this year.”

I smiled a warmth filled me. He’s proud of me…I can’t remember the last time I heard those words from anyone. Margaret’s voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“There’s still a lot of progress to be made and you can be just as proud of him if he’s still here.”

She looked at me and gave me her ‘I know you’re up to something, but I love you anyway’ look.

“What’s your real reason for moving out? Is it so you can have sex anytime you want?”

Wow…she’s good, but in all honesty that isn’t the only reason. I need a place I can be a father. A place to take John when Amy needs a break. A place that maybe Amy and me can hang out with John without everyone yelling and being all over the place.

“Well, I would like some privacy for those times when I wanna have sex…you know I have sex…”

She shook her head in disapproval.

“I know and I don’t like it.”

My foster-dad cut in.

“But, we know it’s a fact of life and we can’t ignore it.”

I looked between them and she sighed.

“Why don’t you give up having sex for a while and see how that goes. That is an option. A cheaper option then moving out of the house so you can have sex.”

I sighed and shook my head. Because I don’t want to?

“It’s not just to have sex, I swear. I want some time alone for myself too. It’s healthy to be alone sometimes. I’m never alone. I love you both and I love that you take care of all the kids who usually are all around here, but I have not time alone.”

I took a deep breath and continued.

“Not here, not at school, not at work, not at Amy’s…it’s never just me, or just me and Amy and John. And it’s just gonna get worse. Her mom’s having a baby.”

They looked shocked.

“What? Whose baby?”

I shrugged.

“I don’t know. I guess it’s her boyfriends baby.”

“What are these people putting in their coffee over there? They are the most fertile, irresponsible, bunch of…”

My foster-dad cleared his throat and Margaret looked at him.

“Well she couldn’t have planned it. What recently divorced woman would have a baby when her fifteen year old daughter just had…”

He cleared his throat again and I almost laughed. I could tell Margaret was about to go on a rampage so I steered the conversation back to moving out.

“The point is…I need to move. Amy’s been having a really hard time lately and with her mom being pregnant, Ben leaving for the summer and her parents getting divorced…I guess it’s all kind of crashing in on her at once. I want to help her out…and I think this would help us both out…please…”

I watched them as they looked at each other, then at me before Margaret let out a deep breath.

“Okay Ricky…if this is what you really want, we’ll help you in any way we can.”

I smiled, a real smile and got up to hug them.
“Thanks guys. I should get going or I’ll be late for school.”

“Have a good day.”

I smiled, grabbed my bag and headed out the door. This is really gonna work. I can get my own place, help out with John, and have a home for my son…and once I tell Amy and let her know I have a place to bring John so she can get some rest maybe things will finally start looking up.

(Adrian POV)

I closed my locked, turned my head and saw Grace at her locker. I smiled and walked toward her. I’m glad we finally cleared the air with each other. I don’t have many friends and Grace is my only best friend…

“How are you chica? You okay?”

She stopped turning the dial, looked at me and spoke.

“Am I okay? Obviously I’m not or else you wouldn’t be asking me that. I hate that everyone keeps asking me that.”

“I’m sorry…you’re right. I hate it when people ask me that too.”

I gave her a half smile and she returned it. She took a deep breath and let it out. It was quiet for a second before I spoke.

“So…what’s up?”

She frowned.

“Tom was wearing my dad’s rob this morning.”

Okay…I’m a little confused…is that a bad thing…I’m not sure what to say…

“Oh…well that’s nice…”

“No, it’s not nice.”

“It’s…creepy?”

She rolled her eyes.

“No, it’s not creepy…it’s just…that’s my dad’s robe. I don’t like that he’s taking my dad’s things. My mom is giving him my dad’s things…”

I nodded.

“On the other hand though, it’s just a robe.”

“I guess…it’s just…it’s too soon seeing her give away all his stuff. I just want all his things to stay where they are. I just…feel overwhelmed right now and I want school to be over…”

I gave her a sympathetic look and nodded.

“Well…I think all that’s normal Grace. Especially after you’ve been through…what you’ve just been through.”

“Yeah…I guess. And on top of everything else…I have this…piece of information that I can’t seem to hold in any longer.”

I gave her a grin.

“Give it up…it sounds like someone has some gossip.”

She sighed.

“You know Amy’s mom is pregnant right?”

I nodded.

“Yeah, Ricky told me. It’s all over school. She and her boyfriend are having a baby.”

I watched Grace’s face change and my eyes widened.

“Who?”

She leaned in and spoke softly.

“Her husband…or soon to be ex-husband.”

“No…George?”

She nodded.

“It might be true. He lied about having a vasectomy.”

She’s crazy! How does she know that? My voice came out higher than I intended it too.

“Wait…how do you know?”

“He told me….and now I told you and Tom and I can’t tell you how much better I feel.”

She smiled.

“He moved next door to Amy right?”

“Yeah.”

“Do you think he might move back in with Amy and her mother? I mean if he’s the father?”

She made a face.

“I dunno, why?”

“Because my parents need a house and they can’t find one in the school district.”

Panic crossed her face as she spoke in a hushed voice.

“Adrian you can’t tell anyone anything I told you about Mr. Juergens. He doesn’t even know for sure if he is the father and I’m the only person he told.”

“Did you tell anyone else besides Tom?”

She shook her head and I sighed. Of course she didn’t…this could be the perfect opportunity for my parents to find a house…and for me to keep an eye on Ricky.

(Amy POV)

I spotted Ben talking to Alice and Henry and I smiled as I walked toward them. I’m still a little angry that Ben is just taking off for the summer, but Ricky was right. It’s not Ben’s responsibility to take care of John and if he wanted to get away for a little bit, work and make some money since his dad won’t give him his job at the butcher shop back…then I guess that makes sense.

Maybe we can actually get through the morning without fighting…
I walked up behind him when I heard the tail end of his conversation.

“No Henry you can’t come. I don’t know what’s going on with everyone, but I’m going to Bologna to work for my uncle and get away for a little bit. Amy can’t go so I don’t have to take her with me and I’m not taking you either.”

I froze and Henry’s eyes went wide as he saw me. Alice just shook her head. I can’t go so he doesn’t have to take me…he never wanted to take me…I can’t believe him…Ben slowly turned around and I could see him gulp. I glared at him.

“You don’t have to take me? Wow Ben, I didn’t realize I was forcing you to do things…”

I folded my arms over my chest, looked at Alice and Henry, and then walked a few feet away from them. When Ben didn’t follow me I called out to him.

“Ben.”

I saw him sigh as he walked slowly over to me. He gave me a nervous smile and I shook my head.

“I don’t care if you want me to go with you or not at this point. I can’t believe you said that. You know it would have been nice if John and I could go with you or even if I could have gone with you, but that was when I thought you actually wanted me there.”

“Amy…”

I cut him off.

“You know, this is hard for me too. Don’t you think I want to get away? I need to get out of that room with the baby…I can’t take it anymore, but I’m being responsible and doing what’s best for my son. You know…I was even trying to learn a little Italian this morning, I thought I’d send you off with a surprise.”

I shook my head and let out a bitter laugh.

“I’m sorry Amy…I didn’t mean…I just really wanted to do this on my own. I want to be a man, get away from my dad, Betty and everything while I make some money that will help us when I get back. So that I can help with John too.”

Their were tears in my eyes when I spoke.

“Then why didn’t you just say that?”

His voice grew slightly louder as he spoke.

“I thought I did, but you just weren’t listening.”

My mouth closed and he stood there awkwardly. I saw Ricky walk over out of the corner of my eye. He glanced between us and sighed.

“Fighting again?”

Ben glared at Ricky.

“Stay out of this.”

Ricky frowned and I shook my head.

“What are you getting all bent out of shape for anyway. You wanted to go to Italy alone…you’re going alone. Amy and John are staying here.”

I opened my mouth, but before I could say anything Ben spoke in a harsh voice.

“Yeah, well maybe I do want them to come with me. Maybe I want John and Amy to spend the summer in Italy with me so we can show John what a real family is…”

I saw pain and then anger cross Ricky’s face.

“Ben, that was uncalled for…”

Ricky cut me off.

“She can’t just take John and go to Italy or out of the country without asking me.”

“Ricky…”

He glared at me and spoke.

“No Amy, I’m sick of him always thinking he knows what's best for my son.”

He looked back at Ben and I could see people starting to stare at the three of us.

“You don’t know half as much as you think you do.”

Ben raised an eyebrow.

“Oh yeah? I know you care about getting innocent girls to have sex with you more than you care about anything else. You don’t love anyone…not even Adrian who would give anything for you to be faithful to her…you probably don’t even know how to love someone.”

I glared at Ben. I’ve never seen this side of him before. This isn’t just jealousy…he’s trying to hurt Ricky…he’s taking the issues he knows Ricky has and he’s using them against him. Ben has never done something like this before…one of the things I love about him is how caring he is…this isn’t caring…

Ricky pointed at him and there was venom in his voice when he spoke.

“Look I love my son, I may not love anyone else, but I love him.”

Ben opened his mouth, but he didn’t get the chance to say anything. My voice was so loud it even startled me.

“Stop it! Both of you.”

I looked at Ben and he deflated. All the anger that was there seconds ago was gone.

“How could you say those things to him Ben? You know Ricky’s a good father…you know he loves John. Do you know that a day hasn’t passed since John was born that Ricky hasn’t seen him?”

Ben looked ashamed of himself and I lowered my voice.

“I know John isn’t your son, but when you made a commitment to me…you made a commitment to him. You go around calling yourself John’s stepfather yet when’s the last time you stopped by to help me with him? Do you even know how to change a diaper?”

I sighed.

“I’m not trying to be mean…I just…don’t attack Ricky because even though he gets on my nerves sometimes…and every once in a while I still get pissed that he’s part of the reason I’m in this whole mess…he’s there for John…and that’s what matters…”

I glanced over at Ricky and he was giving me a strange look. I could see his anger draining also. The kids who were watching the fight started moving toward their classes again and I sighed. Ricky cleared his throat and looked at me.

“Thanks…”

I nodded and Ben’s face hardened when he looked at Ricky.

“I’m sorry…maybe Amy was right. That was slightly uncalled for.”

Ricky shrugged before ignoring Ben and looking at me.

“I came over here to talk to you.”

I nodded. I figured as much. He gave me half a smirk.

“I’m getting my own place this summer.”

I gave him a startled look.

“What?”

“I’m getting my own place, which means I can take John some nights…I figured if we’re gonna work out a schedule…it would be good if he stays with both of us. They way we both get time with him, but we also get nights off.”

Oh my god am I dreaming? A grin lit up my face.

“Really?”

He nodded and smiled. Ben brought me out of my thoughts of sleeping through a full night.

“You’re getting your own place? Your own apartment?”

Ricky smirked.

“Yeah.”

I watched as Ricky smirked and Ben glared. I’m so tired of fighting with everyone…as far as I’m concerned Ricky getting his own place is a good thing…he’s really trying. He really wants to spend more time with John and I really need a break…everything seems to be working out for the best…

(Ricky POV)

I brought the box over and started to unpack spices, sauces, and other things condiments. The silence was amazing. I have to say I’m still a little shocked that Mr. Boykewich didn’t give Ben his job back. Not that I’m complaining. It was a lot quieter here without his yapping.

I still can’t get over the things he said to me today. I shook my head. The bigger shock was Amy sticking up for me, not that I needed her too, but it was still nice to have someone there willing to do it. She seemed happy when I told her about me getting my own place.

I saw I real smile light up her face…like the one from that night at band camp. I sighed. I’ve been thinking more and more about that night recently. I don’t know why…it’s just been slipping into my head and the more I think about it…the more I think there’s a reason Amy got pregnant that night.

A reason I got her pregnant, but whenever I started to think like that I called Adrian. Sex always gets my mind off of emotions. When I finished putting everything on the shelf I cut up the box and through it out. I wiped my hands off on my apron and spotted Bunny cutting up some ribs.

Here goes nothing…I walked over to her and stood there for a minute trying to get my thoughts together so I could piece together what I wanted to say the right way. Before I could say anything, she spoke.

“You want a raise, don’t cha’?”

“Oh no, I don’t want a raise.”

“Fine, I’m not gonna give you one.”

I smiled slightly and cleared my throat.

“I just want permission from you to talk to Mr. Boykewich about working more hours.”

She stopped what she was doing and looked up at me.

“I know I know, I work for you, but he’s the one who gave me the job and I just feel I have to ask him. I just want to work more hours so I can make more money…So if it’s okay with you I’d like to talk to Mr. Boykewich, just because like I said, he gave me the job.”

She smiled at me and nodded.

“Alright, he’s coming down here at closing time.”

I grinned.

“Thanks.”

“I like your style kid.”

The smile left my face.

“I don’t.”

“What do you mean?”

I sighed.

“I know Amy’s not going to Italy with Ben, but I’m actually jealous that she considered going to Italy with our son with Ben.”

She smiled and raised an eyebrow.

“So he’s our son now not my son?”

I gave her a confused look.

“Did I say that?”

She smiled and went back to her ribs. I walked back over to the boxes and opened cut open another one.

*****

It was around seven thirty when Mr. Boykewich came into the butcher shop to go over the inventory. He smiled and nodded in my direction and I wiped off my hands and followed behind him.

“Hey Mr. Boykewich.”

“Hey Ricky, how are you?”

“I’m doing good, thanks. How about you? I heard you got engaged congratulations.”

He smiled.

“Thanks Ricky. I’m doin pretty good.”

“With Ben not here anymore I was wondering if the budget would allow me to work more hours. Hours that would have been his hours.”

He stopped moving around closed his book and looked at me.

“Or I know you pay a cleaning service. I clean really well, I could save you some money there…I’m willing to work 12-hour days.”

He laughed slightly and put his hands up.

“Hold it, hold it. What is it that you’re trying to buy? You need the money for something?”

I sighed.

“I wanna move out of my parents house. I talked to them about it. I wanna emancipate. I’ll get kicked out of the foster care system next year and then it’ll start costing them to have me there, and I don’t want to be there anymore.”

I took a deep breath and continued.

“I love them, but I want a place by myself. A place where I can bring my son. I’m not looking for any handout I’m just looking for hours. More hours. I found a studio apartment and if I save my money all summer I’ll have the deposit and an extra months rent paid.”

I smiled.

“Depending…on how much I can work…and if I’m putting you in an awkward position by asking, I apologize. I just thought I’d try here first before I look for a second job somewhere else.”

He smiled at me and point as he spoke.

“I think I can help you out and you know what Ricky, with my help or without my help, I could tell you’re gonna do okay. This is gonna be a really good summer for you. You’re on your way.”

I smiled. Mr. Boykewich was a real good guy. I owe him…maybe someday I’ll be able to do something for him…something like what he’s done for me.

“Come on, I wanna show you something.”

He grabbed a set of keys from the rack and spoke.

“I had thought about showing this to you a few years from now, but what the heck. Ever seen the upstairs here?”

I shook my head.

“No, I didn’t even know there was an upstairs here.”

“Yeah, come on.”

He patted me on the back as he turned and motioned me in the right direction. We went up a flight of stairs and came to a long hallway. I followed him down the hallway and he opened the door at the end.

“I hope the electricity is still on here.”

He pushed the door open, turned on the light and we walked in.

“Yeah, it still works.”

I glanced around.

“What is this?”

“We use it for storage. It’s the old family apartment. My grandparents lived here…well they did for a long time.”

It was a pretty neat place…and big. I turned around and looked back at Mr. Boykewich.

“It’s nice.”

He nodded.

“Think you can clean it up?”

I grinned and nodded.

“Sure, I can clean it up. I can even paint it if you want me too. What are you gonna do with it?”

He smiled.

“What am I gonna do with it? I’m gonna let you live in it…if it’s okay with your parents.”

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. I felt the wind knock out of me and emotions bubble up to the surface. Ever since John’s been born…people have been so nice to me and Amy…they’ve gone out of their way to help us keep John and to make sure we can take care of him.

I’ve never had so many people care before…I’ve never had people want to help me for no reason…I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.

“How much?”

“Eh, just something towards the utilities.”

I felt my eyes tear up as I looked at Mr. Boykewich and tried to say something.

“Ah…don’t do that. It’s not that nice a place.”

I finally found my voice.

“I swear, I’ll be totally respectful of your property and I’ll work for free…I’ll work nights…weekends…”

He cut me off.

“Slow down…I’ll pay you when you work just like I would anyone else and you can’t work all the time. You gotta take time to be with you son.”

I smiled. He’s right…that’s why I’m doing this…for John…

“Speaking of which my son is waiting for me.”

He tossed me the keys and I caught them.

“So, lock up when you leave.”

He started to turn around and go, but my voice stopped him.

“Mr. Boykewich, I don’t know what to say.”

He shrugged.

“Say thank you.”

“Thank you…”

“Good night Ricky…”

He closed the door behind him and I had to swipe at my eyes. I looked around at everything and I could feel the excitement building. I shook my head and pulled out my phone. I pushed the speed dial button and waited.

“Hello…”

“Amy?”

“Ricky…is everything okay?”

I laughed.

“Amy, you’re not going to believe this. I got a place.”

I could hear the shock in her voice when she spoke.

“You got a place?”

“Yeah. I’m here right now. Mr. Boykewich gave me this apartment over the butcher shop…it’s great!”

“You’re kidding? Mr. Boykewich gave it to you?”

“Yeah, he’s not even making me pay rent Amy, just something toward the utilities…so, I’ll have more money for John.”

“Ricky, that’s really great. Mr. Boykewich has been really helpful.”

“I’m gonna get it all cleaned up and then you guys can come see it. You’ll bring John right? Or I can pick you guys up when it’s finished…if that’s okay.”

I could hear the smile in her voice.

“That’s fine. I know you want John to see the apartment. So just let me know when it’s ready and we’ll work something out.”

“Thanks Amy…”

“No problem…so, I’ll see you later?”

“Yeah I’ll be by in a little bit.”

I closed the phone and looked around. This is amazing…I have my own place…a place to bring my son…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)