November 12, 2009

Memories of Us (1/13)



Title: Memories of Us
Rating: R
Pairing: Brooke/Lucas
Disclaimer: These characters belong to the CW and the creator’s of One Tree Hill. Sigh…although I kinda wish I owned Nathan…well not owned, but you get my drift. ;-)
Category: Romance, Angst
Summary: When life ends what do we have left? We have the moments that defined who we became and where we ended up…we have these small moments in time, these snapshots of our life, every kiss, every glance, every smile…these are the memories of us…



Chapter 1
‘What Do We Have Left’



“Love is stronger than death even though it can't stop death from happening, but no matter how hard death tries it can't separate people from love. It can't take away our memories either. In the end, life is stronger than death.”



Cemetery
Tree Hill- 2013


Brooke Scott stood in the cemetery quietly staring down at the open grave. The coffin had just been lowered into the ground and one by one people started lining up so they could partake in the time honored tradition of covering the lid with dirt. She swallowed hard as she moved her arms tighter around herself.

The weather was perfect. Not too hot, not too cold. The sun was shining, the sky was cloud free, and there was a light breeze blowing the smells of October through the air. It figures the day would be perfect; it’s ironic how things are always perfect at the most inappropriate times, thought Brooke.

The priest continued to speak as she turned her head slightly and saw Haley standing next to Nathan rocking Amálin in her arms. I should probably be holding my own daughter, but I can’t seem to bring myself to walk over there and take her, thought Brooke.

The funeral wasn’t long, or to Brooke it didn’t feel long. Then again, her concept of time has been a little skewed lately. Three days…not an overly long amount of time, but to Brooke it felt like an eternity. Lucas Scott had been in her life since she was fifteen years old.

A decade; being a part of someone’s life for 10 years doesn’t seem like a long time either, compared to how long people live today, but it was enough time to change Brookes life forever. She was angry, no; make that furious with Lucas Scott. He promised her he’d always be there…promised he’d never leave.

And yet here she was, widowed at 25 years old, left to raise her four-month old daughter alone. People started walking by her, giving their condolences as they passed to head back to Nathan and Haley’s. They offered to have the wake at their house and Brooke was thankful for that.

She didn’t want to admit how hard it was to be in that house or that she hadn’t been home since it happened. It was better if they didn’t know. They’d worry and she didn’t want anyone worrying about her. A hand on her arm startled her out of her thoughts and she turned her head to look at Haley.

“We should probably head back to the house.”


Brooke cleared her throat, but her voice still came out hoarse.

“I need a few more minutes.”

Haley opened her mouth to protest, but Nathan came up behind her and placed a hand on her lower back before speaking.

“It’s fine Hales. I’ll stay here…give Brooke a ride back to the house in a little bit.”

Haley gave them a worried look, but nodded before walking towards Jamie who was waiting with Skills and Mouth by the limo. Brooke watched as everyone left, leaving the cemetery with a calm, quiet feeling. She glanced at Nathan before pulling her sun glasses up to rest on her head.

Nathan swallowed hard as he watched Brooke make her way over to the freshly covered grave. Nathan’s known Brooke since they were kids. They’ve been through a lot, but through everything, she’d never looked as lost as she did now.

The thing everyone’s always loved about Brooke Davis is her pure love for life; the spark in her eye, the fact that she can pull herself back from anything…her joy for living. In an essence its part of who she is…what makes her Brooke, but right now Nathan couldn’t see that spark anymore and that scared him.

Lucas was my brother…my blood…the pain I’m experiencing is agonizing, but Brooke…Lucas was the love of her life…he was her world…he was her Haley. And honestly I’m not sure if I’d be able to survive without Haley…I can’t imagine what she’s feeling right now, thought Nathan as he watched her eyes redden.

Brooke looked at the fresh dirt and her chest tightened. She’d been through a lot in her life, but nothing like this. She felt like she couldn’t breathe. Like something was squeezing her heart in an iron grip. Her breathing quickened as she felt water gather in her eyes.

“Why? God Lucas…you promised me…you promised you’d always be there…that you’d never leave me…”

Her voice grew louder and Nathan tensed as he watched her lose control. She screamed at the dirt; this is the most passion he’d seen her exhibit since it happened.

“Damn it Lucas Scott! Damn you for leaving me here alone! For leaving our daughter without a father! I hate you! Do you hear me? I HATE YOU!”

She broke down then and the tears came as her body collapsed to the ground and she clutched at the dirt. Nathan’s heart broke as she sobbed between her words.

“What am I going to do without you? How am I going to wake up every day knowing you aren’t here? I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…”

Nathan walked slowly in Brooke’s direction as she continued to shed tears. Her voice lowered to a whisper and if Nathan wasn’t standing right next to her he would have missed the words all together.

“I’d give up everything to have you back Luke…the company…the money…the house…the clothes…everything…it never meant more than you. We could have lived in a rundown shack and I would have been happy as long as I had you. I can’t…I can’t do this without you…I need you…I…I love you so much…”

The cemetery got darker and Nathan glanced at the sky. Clouds were hiding the sun and he felt a few drops of water hit his suit jacket. Tears filled Nathan’s eyes as he squatted down next to Brooke and placed a hand on her shoulder. She didn’t acknowledge him at first, but his voice broke through her words.

“Brooke…Brooke come on…we need to go, it’s starting to rain.”

She looked away from the ground and at Nathan as if she was seeing him for the first time.

“Nate?”

He gave her a warm smile, but it didn’t reach his eyes.

“Hey, come on. Everyone’s back at the house, we should get back.”

She nodded, sniffled slightly, took his hand, and let him pull her up. He wrapped an arm around her and led her to the limo that had stayed behind. She grasped onto him tightly and the further they got from Lucas’ grave the more tense her body became.

When they were about 10 feet from the limo she stopped and Nathan frowned. He looked at her, she shook her head, and the rain started coming down harder.

“I can’t…I can’t leave him here.”

“Brooke…”

“No…you don’t understand Nate…I can’t…I feel…”

She put her hand to her chest and grabbed at it as the tears started again.

“I feel like I can’t breathe…like the air…it’s being sucked out of me…I can’t do this…please…”

He pulled her against his chest as she shook her head. He rubbed her back as he spoke in a quiet voice.

“Shhh, its gonna be okay Brooke…we’ll get through this…we have to…”

The water pelted them, soaking through her dress, but Brooke didn’t care. The only thing that mattered was that her husband…her best friend…her lover…the most important person in her life was dead. In that moment her heart broke all over again. She was alone in the world…she had nothing left…Lucas Scott was dead and he was never coming back…

Chapter 2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)