December 5, 2009

Memories of Us Chapter (6/13)



Chapter 6
‘Of Love and Broken Hearts’




“Things don't go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.” –Samuel Johnson-


Peyton’s House/Brooke’s House
Tree Hill- 2004


Brooke had always felt unloved. By her parents, by boys, and pretty much everyone else. The only person who had ever made her feel important was Peyton. Brooke always used to think that it didn’t matter if she had anyone else as long as she had Peyton.

But today, that all came crashing down around her. Today she found out that Peyton was just like everybody else. She also found out that Lucas wasn’t the good guy she thought he was. She’d misjudged him and now Brooke was the one paying for I t.

Brooke made her way into Peyton’s house slowly. She looked around at all the photos around the house as she walked upstairs. All the photos were of her and Peyton while they were growing up. Looking at them now made the pain worse. When she got to Peyton’s bedroom door it was open. She took a deep breath and walked in.

“Hey.”

Peyton was on her bed drawing. She looked up and seemed startled to see Brooke.

“You’re out late.”

Brooked nodded. She watched as Peyton went back to drawing, Her voice was clipped when she spoke.

“Lucky thing you finding Lucas like that. If you didn’t come along, who knows what might have happened.”

Peyton didn’t look up.

“Everything turned out okay.”

Brooke couldn’t believe that she was sitting there, lying to her still. She clenched her jaw and her voice was hard when she spoke.

“No, not really. I don’t know what hurts worse, you and Lucas sneaking around behind my back or you lying about it to my face.”

This time she did look up. Guilt was written all over her face and Brooke glared at Peyton.

“Brooke…”

Peyton’s voice trailed off and Brook shook her head.

“No. The next time you want to steal my boyfriend, you might want to turn that thing off.”

Brooke pointed at the web cam before continuing.

“I went into his room to check on him and his computer was on. I know you two were together…He meant everything to me, Peyton. And I was ready to try and be his friend if that’s what he needed. And now I don’t really care if I see either one of you again.”

Peyton opened her mouth, but Brooke was already out of her room. Oh god what have I done, thought Peyton. She followed Brooke and called out to her as she went down the stairs.

“Brooke! You have to talk to me.”

Brooke made it to the front door and her glare intensified.

“Why don’t I just smile at you, you know, Peyton style, pretend everything’s okay and lie to your face.”

Peyton walked down a few more steps and winced. Her voice was soft when she spoke.

“If I could go back to the way things were then I would.”

Brooke snorted.

“Back to when my best friend was cheating with my boyfriend and I was too stupid to realize it?”

“You’re not stupid!”

Brooke was quiet and then she spoke in a hard tone.

“Did you sleep with him?”

Peyton shook her head frantically.

“No! No I didn’t. Okay? We stopped before it got that far. God, Brooke, I am sorry okay? We were going to tell you and then the accident happened and you liked him so much and I just…”

“Thought you’d spare me the heartache?”

“Yeah.”

“Yeah well that worked out real well, didn’t it?”

Brooke turned back to the door and walked out. Peyton followed and called out again.

“Brooke!”

She whirled around on the front lawn and looked Peyton in the eye when she spoke.

“Are you in love with him?”

Peyton looked like she was thinking about it, but Brooke didn’t have the patience to wait. Her best friend cheated with her boyfriend…risked losing their friendship for a guy she didn’t even love…how important could Brooke really be to her?

“You know what, I don’t even care. He’s all yours now, have a great life together.”

Brooke got in her car and took off. This time Peyton didn’t follow. She had ruined the best thing that ever happened to her. Brooke might be a loose cannon sometimes, but there was no one in the world that had been there for Peyton more than her. And now she was gone…all because Peyton wanted Lucas.

It didn’t take Brooke long to get home and by the time she got there the tears were already falling down her cheeks. She made it inside and ran upstairs to her bathroom to wash her face. It wasn’t bad enough that Brooke’s parents never pay attention to her, but now she has lost the only two people who she thought truly cared about her.

Maybe everything that people said about her was true. Maybe she really was just a stupid slut. Someone for people to used physically while they have emotional relationships with other people. Brooke was startled out of her thoughts by a knock on the door. She frowned and headed downstairs to answer it.

When Brooke yanked it open Lucas stood there with a guilty look on his face. She crossed her arms over her chest and he sighed.

“Brooke, I’m sorry.”

She grunted.

“Yeah, sorry you got caught.”

“We didn’t mean to hurt you.”

If looks could kill Lucas would probably be dead a few times over.

“You did not just say that to me.”

He frowned.

“Look we didn’t plan any of this. It just happened.”

“Go to hell.”

She uncrossed her arms and reached out to shut the door, but Lucas moved his arm in the way so she couldn’t close it. She let out a loud huff and her glare intensified.

“Please Brooke…I know you don’t have any reason to listen to me.”

“You’re right I don’t.”

“I’m not asking for forgiveness. I just want you to know how sorry I am for what I did.”

She shook her head and for a minute the anger drained from her face and all that was left was the hurt…the pain and that made Lucas feel ten times worse.

“How sorry you are? Do you know that the entire time that we were dating I actually felt inferior to you? What a joke. You are just like every other guy on the planet. You’re a liar and a cheater.”

He nodded.

“You’re right. I lied to you. And there’s no excuse for that.”

She shrugged.

“As far as excuses, you don’t owe me any. I’m not your girlfriend. And from here on out, I’m not even your friend.”

She slammed the door and Lucas winced. He couldn’t believe how bad he messed up. He had no clue why he cheated on Brooke. He not only broke her trust, but he broke her friendship with Peyton…he sighed as he walked back to his car. He never wanted things to end like this…

Brooke leaned her back against the door and slid down it. She pulled her knees up to her chest, wrapped her arms around them, and leaned her chin on them. She squeezed her eyes shut to try and stop the tears, but it didn’t work.

She thought Lucas was the guy for her…the guy she could finally open her heart to and be herself. Be more than just a one night stand. She was wrong. Not only did she just loose the first guy she’s ever loved, but she lost her best friend too…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)