May 30, 2010

Looking to the Future

Banner By: Andrea
Title: Looking to the Future
Rating: PG-13
Author: Sxymami0909
Fandom: Smallville
Pairing: Oliver/Chloe
Word Count: 1000
Prompt: Past and Future written for the National Green Arrow Day



Oliver sat on the couch bottle of water in his hands as he watched Chloe sitting on the floor across from him, piles of papers scattered around her. She alternated between her laptop and his while glancing briefly at the papers every few minutes.

It had been three days since they’d released him from the hospital and she hadn’t left his side for more than a bathroom break since then. When he found out what happened to Watchtower he had apologized for being the one to blow her cover, but she’d dismissed his apology with a wave.

If anyone knew how important Watchtower was to Chloe it was Oliver. The minute he was on his feet again and close to full capacity he’d have it rebuilt for her from the ground up. He shifted on the couch wincing slightly before glancing around the room.

There were signs of Chloe everywhere. The aroma of coffee permeated his penthouse, heels strewn haphazardly by the elevator, papers and computer equipment on several available surfaces. It made him smile.

He’d been trying for weeks to get her to stay the night with him, to possibly keep some stuff at his place so she wasn’t always running back and forth between Metropolis and Smallville, but she never took him up on the offer…until now.

He’d thought if anything, this little mishap with Zod would have caused her to distance herself and run in the other direction, but the opposite had happened and though he couldn’t be happier, he was curious as to what had changed her mind. He cleared his throat and she looked up at him pen in mouth.

Oliver smirked as she pulled the pen from her mouth.

“Need something?”

“Nope, I’m pretty good all things considered. I was actually wondering if I could ask you something.”

She gave him a playful smile before moving the computer off her lap and crawling her way over to him. He shifted his legs making room for her to perch between them on her knees.

“You Mr. Queen can ask me anything.”

He brushed a hand against her cheek as she kissed his palm before he moved it away.

“Things between us…they’ve changed. You’ve been avoiding this for so long I’m just wondering what finally changed your mind and made you give me a chance. Cause whatever it is well…you know I’m glad.”

He could see the humor leave her face. She bit her lip, brows furrowed as she hesitated before speaking. Chloe met his eyes and took a deep breath.

“Honestly?”

“Always.”

She rolled her eyes slightly as she took his hand in hers. There was a note of disbelief in her voice as she spoke.

“Believe it or not…it was Tess.”

Oliver raised an eyebrow, interest peaked. How in the world had his ex managed to do what he’d been trying to do for weeks?

“Tess?”

She nodded and looked down at his lap before continuing.

“We were sitting there, three minutes left of oxygen and there was this moment. She said that Watchtower had been designed to keep people out. That though my methods were different, when it came to trust or lack of it, I was just like her.”

Oliver was quiet and she finally looked at him.

“And she was right. I’ve lost my faith in people Ollie…I might want to save the world, but I’m not a part of the world I want to save. She told me that’s why I wouldn’t let you in and lo and behold she was right again. You know that really irritates me.”

Her face was scrunched and Oliver grinned as he chuckled lightly.

“I bet it does.”

She let out another long breath before tilting her head.

“She told me…she said…I had everything right in front of me and I couldn’t see it.”

The tears in her eyes made him swallow hard as he leaned forward slightly, grunted as the wound on his chest tightened. She pressed a hand against his leg making him stop as she shook her head.

“Don’t you’ll hurt yourself and I need you to be okay. I’m sorry…”

He frowned and she pushed herself up on her knees so she could reach his face with her hands. A tear escaped her eye and he brushed it away, his voice soft as he spoke.

“Sorry?”

“Sorry I didn’t see it…you. But…if you’re willing to I’d like to try for real this time, strings and all.”

Oliver grinned down on her and he could see the nervousness and hesitation as she put herself out there and took a chance on him. He leaned in capturing her lips with his in a soft kiss.

“Anything for your Professor.”

She gave him a watery eyed grin as she pushed herself to her feet, wiping her face. He could see a glimmer of hope in her eyes as she picked up the phone.

“So…I’m thinking Italian for dinner. What do you think?”

“I think Italian sounds great.”

Chloe smiled and he watched as she moved out of the living room and into the kitchen rummaging through draws to find a menu. He couldn’t believe that he owed the change in Chloe’s outlook to Tess. Who would have thought. Maybe there was still some good in her after all.

He liked to think that there was. Tess might be skating a thin line between moral and immoral at the moment, but Oliver liked to think when the chips were down, if it came down to a battle to the end, Tess would be on their side.

She’d be a formidable ally and he knew in her mind, as twisted as it was sometimes, she was just trying to do what she felt was right. Tess was his past and Oliver would always hold a spot in his heart for what they had, but Chloe was his future. And what a hell of a future it was gonna be with her by his side.

4 comments:

  1. I know I've read this before but I'm a sap and I love romance and this little tag on was perfect. :D I'm sucking up this writing frenzy you're in. Love it! A nice little snap shot that clears the air and gives them a fresh honest start. I think she despises Tess on two fronts. One because she makes her realize that they're very similar, and they're qualities Chloe doesn't always like to acknowledge she has, and second, she's Oliver's old flame. Oh and she knows all their secrets. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. iluvaqt-

    Yeah I postd this as part of the 30-day song meme :-)I think you're very right about Chloe and her feelings for Tess. Thanks so much for always reading and commenting on my stuff girl. It's appreciated :-)

    -C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late to the Chlollie fanfic game, but I'm having a wonderful time catching up. lol
    Loved how you showed Chloe finally opening up to Oliver and being ok with having someone good in her life.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LoL I can see that haha.
      I'm glad you liked seeing Chloe open up here.
      Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)