August 12, 2010

People Make Mistakes Chapter (8/13)

Banner By: Andrea
Previous Chapter


Chapter 8
August 17th 2010




Lex let out a heavy breath as he studied the footage that Dr. Alcott had sent over while he was at the Metropolis orphanage. He had shut off the audio during the first few videos because the sound of the woman’s screams had been grating against his nerves.

He’d been studying Karen and her son ever since the red flag that had popped up from Nathan’s physician back in Florida over six months ago. His people had stolen Karen Bingham’s body from the morgue the same night they’d run her over.

He knew that she could heal herself and he hadn’t wanted to take any chances. So by the time she woke up body fully healed, he’d already had her locked up in a secure facility. Lex had Dr. Alcott spent the last four weeks trying and failing to find a way to kill Karen for good.

Until this past week that is. Dr. Alcott had created a serum that once injected into a meta-human’s system proceeded to attack the mutated cells killing off all the infected blood in the individual leaving them completely human. Karen Bingham’s corpse could attest to that.

There was a knock on his office door and he glanced up at Bartlett who cleared his throat and spoke.

“Sir, Miss Mercer is here to speak with you.”

Lex nodded and closed the laptop in front of him.

“Send her in.”

A moment later the red head sauntered into his office, smile on her face. He grinned as his eyes glanced over her body before falling back on her face.

“Getting a good long look?”

He smirked.

“Indeed. What can I do for you Tess?”

She took a seat in front of his desk and tossed a folder gently at him. The pile of papers landed in front of him and he raised an eyebrow. She motioned to the papers and spoke.

“It’s my paperwork for Luthor Corp. I signed the indicated pages. I’m done thinking. I’m ready.”

He pursed his lips together a thoughtful expression crossing his face.

“Did you see the clause in the contract? What you will need to do?”

“I did.”

“And you have no objections to making this work?”

She swallowed hard, thoughts of Oliver in the back of her mind. She’d gone over the fine print of Lex’s contract. She knew what he wanted, why he was back. It was all about power with him and his latest plan was no different.

She wasn’t crazy about her choices at the moment, but she sure as hell knew when the shit hit the fan she didn’t want to be on Lex’s bad side. Oliver had made it clear that he wanted nothing to do with her, and she respected that.

It didn’t mean she would stop trying though, next time she’d just use a different tactic. She met Lex’s eyes and he was studying her. She sat up straight and nodded.

“No, no objections. I want this to work.”

He smirked and reached towards the drawer on his left side, pulling it open. He lifted out a small velvet box and motioned for Tess to come closer. She stood and moved around the desk so she was standing right next to him.

He opened the box and a large diamond stared back at her. She swallowed hard as he pulled it out of the box and slid it onto her ring finger. Her stomach was queasy, a sense of dread filling her as the cold gold band slipped into place.

His eyes held hers and it took everything in her not to cringe at the almost leer he was giving her. She couldn’t fall apart now though, it would ruin her whole plan. For now she needed to use the lesson’s he’d taught her all those years ago. She gave him a small smile as he spoke.

“Welcome to the family…”

Tess smirked, but inside she was cringing. People make mistakes and Tess knew this one would take the cake…she could feel it. This moment was the beginning of the end…Lex was taking her down the rabbit hole and she was letting him.






_____


Oliver leaned against the wall, smile on his face as he watched Mia show Nathan how to make a paper airplane. He couldn’t hear what she was saying, but whatever it was sent Nathan into a fit of giggles. He grinned and crossed his arms over his chest.

When he had first shown up with Mia, Nathan had been shy, but he warmed up to her surprisingly quick. She was good with him and watching them together made warmth spread through him. The only thing missing was Chloe.

He knew she was still unsure about this, but he wasn’t. Oliver knew this was the right move for them, he could feel it. Nathan glanced over and caught his eye. He smiled and waved. Oliver waved back as his phone vibrated in his pocket. He lifted it up and answered it on the second ring.

“Hello.”

Oliver, it’s Lois.”

“Hey Lois…what’s going on?”

“Do you know where Chloe is?”

“Last time I saw her she was working, why what’s up?”

There was a loud clanking noise over the phone and he winced. He could hear Clark in the background telling her to be careful as she spoke.

“The general’s in town and he’s coming to the farm for dinner tonight. I haven’t exactly told him about the whole Clark and I living together thing and I thought I’d call in reinforcements and have you guys come to dinner, but my darling cousin isn’t answering her phone.”

Oliver frowned. He looked up and saw Rebecca walking down the hall towards him, smile on her face. He sighed. He didn’t know why Chloe wasn’t answering her phone, but he was sure she was probably just working. Either way he’d call her as soon as they left.

“I’m sure she’s just working Lois. Listen I can’t talk right now. What time is dinner?”

“Eight.”

“Can I bring Mia?”

“The teenager who stole your car?”

Oliver rolled his eyes.

“Yes Lois.”

“I guess…”

“Great, we’ll all be there then. I’ve gotta go.”

He disconnected the call before she could say anything else, right as Rebecca walked up to him. He returned her smile as he spoke.

“Hey”

“Hello Mr. Queen.”

“Oliver please.”

She nodded and motioned for him to follow her to her office. Oliver took one more look at Mia and Nathan before trailing behind her down the hallway. He sat down and she walked around her desk and did the same.

“Thank you for coming, I know it was short notice.”

“It’s fine. I’m glad he wanted to see me again. He’s a great kid.”

“That he is.”

She held up a folder and Oliver raised an eyebrow.

“It’s the paperwork for Nathan’s adoption. If you guys still want this opportunity we’d be happy to give it to you. We’ll have to schedule a home visit and you’ll still have to participate in the temporary six month trial period, but you should be able to bring him home with you Friday if everything pans out.”

Oliver did a double take before a large smile broke out onto his face.

“Seriously?”

She chuckled.

“Yes.”

“Of course we want this opportunity. Just tell me where to sign. I can take the day off of work tomorrow if you want to have someone come by for the home visit. We’re still all getting settled in, but I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

She handed Oliver a pen and pointed to where he needed to sign. As she watched him turning through the pages she cleared her throat and spoke.

“I didn’t see Miss Sullivan with you, but I noticed you brought someone new.”

Oliver glanced up at her and nodded.

“That’s Mia I wanted her to meet Nathan. She’s sort of…well I take care of her. It’s complicated.”

He finished filling out the papers and handed the pile to her. She took it, brows furrowed as she spoke.

“You adopted her?”

He made a face, tilting his head to the side.

“Not exactly. I stumbled on her in an underground fighting ring a little over a year ago. I mean there’s no legal paperwork saying I’m her guardian or anything, but I’m the only family she has.”

Rebecca studied him for a moment before turning towards her computer and entering her passwords as she spoke.

“What’s her name?”

Confusion settled on his face.

“Excuse me?”

“Her name, what’s her full name?”

“Can I ask why?”

“I’d like to look something up if that’s alright.”

He pursed his lips together, but answered her question.

“Mia Dearden.”

A couple of minutes later Rebecca was glancing at Mia’s files. The girl had been through a lot in her seventeen years. She swallowed hard at the notes about the last foster home she was in before running away. She couldn’t help the chill that ran through her body. She would never understand how people could abuse children the way they did.

Oliver noticed the change in her demeanor as she looked at the screen. He cleared his throat and she looked toward him before speaking.

“She’s listed here as a runaway.”

Oliver opened his mouth, but before he could say anything she cut him off.

“Would you like to adopt her?”

Oliver froze. Adopt Mia? He hadn’t even known that was an actual option. Would she want him to adopt her? He gave Rebecca a curious look before speaking.

“I can do that?”

“I don’t see why not. She’s been in your care for over six months as long as she agrees to it there wouldn’t be anything stopping you.”

Right as he went to speak there was a knock on the door and Mia stuck her head in.

“Hey there you are I was looking for you.”

Oliver turned, glancing at her and frowned.

“Where’s Nathan?”

“He ran back to his room to grab something.”

Rebecca stood and walked towards the door.

“I’m going to check on him. Make sure everything’s okay. I’ll be right back.”

Mia watched the woman leave before plopping down on the chair next to Oliver and grinning.

“That kid is awesome.”

Oliver took in her relaxed posture and light mood. Mia had been a part of his family for a while, but now that he thought about it, he’d love to make it official. In his line of work nothing was ever certain and if God forbid anything ever happened to him, he wouldn’t want to leave her or Chloe with nothing.

He leaned back in his chair and she must have sensed his eyes on her because she raised an eyebrow in his direction.

“What?”

“Rebecca just told me that Chloe and I were approved to adopt Nathan.”

Mia’s face lit up and she smiled.

“That’s awesome Oliver! He really like planes oh we should set up his room with a plane theme. You think he’d like it?”

Oliver swallowed hard. Mia hadn’t had the easiest life but he could see a change in the street wise teenager these past few months. She was settling into this life, opening up to him more and when he first introduced her to Chloe a little over seven months ago they’d hit it off amazingly well.

Mia would probably never admit it, but Oliver knew she looked up to Chloe. She thought she was amazing the way she held their team together and Oliver agreed. Mia had never known a woman in the kind of position Chloe was in and it made her want more for herself then what she’d had in the past.

He always assumed Mia would be around so he never thought to make her presence in his life official, because well to him it already was official. Her hand waving in his face brought him out of his thoughts.

“Oliver…earth to Oliver…did you hear me?”

“Hmm planes?”

“Yeah, what do you think?”

“I think it’s a great idea. Listen…I know that we came here to see Nathan and I’m definitely going to have her process the paperwork before we leave, but how would you feel if we left here with paperwork on two people?”

Mia shook her head amusement on her face.

“Jeez Oliver what are you doing adopting the whole orphanage? Soon your gonna have a gaggle of kids. If I didn’t know any better I’d say you were starting some kind of child sweat shop or band of mini heroes.”

He chuckled and smirked.

“You’re horrible and I’m being serious.”

“Okay Queen…so who’s the next addition to the Queen entourage?”

He met her eyes and his voice was soft when he spoke.

“You.”

Mia frowned.

“Uh…I kinda thought I was already a part of the gaggle…”

“You are, but if it’s okay with you I’d like to make it…you know official. Binding contracts and all that. I mean I know you’re seventeen, practically an adult and you don’t need me telling you what to do, but Mia…life is pretty uncertain. And if anything were to happen to me…I’d hate to think you’d be left fending for yourself.”

She tensed and sat up straight in the chair. He watched her closely as she spoke voice hard.

“I don’t want your money. That isn’t why I’m here Oliver.”

He nodded.

“I know that. It’s not why I want to sign the papers. I could just as easily leave money for you in my will without filing legal paperwork for you…but I want to. I grew up without parents Mia…no family. I suppose that’s part of the reason I became who I am today, but looking back having no one around…it still hurts to think about it.”

He could see the emotion building on her face that she attempted to hide and he continued.

“Finding you…getting together with Chloe…everything that’s happened with Nathan. I’ve gotta believe that there’s a reason for that. I love Chloe…more than I’ve ever cared about anyone and one day in the future when I think she’s ready I’m going to marry her, start a family. And hopefully you and Nathan will be with us.”

Oliver swallowed hard, his emotions starting to get the better of him. He wasn’t used to feeling this way, but after what happened with Karen Bingham…well he always knew life was short and he had seen people get hurt, but now with Chloe in his life, the possibility of a family dangling right in front of him he didn’t want to hold off anymore. He wanted to start forever today as ridiculous as that sounded.

“Our family wouldn’t be complete without you…that’s why I want to do it. My motives are pure Mia…you know me. And I know it’s never been about money with you. I’d never think that of you…ever.”

They sat there quietly for a few minutes before Mia threw her arms around Oliver. It was sudden and took him off guard slightly, but he wrapped his arms around her as she spoke into his neck. He could feel the warmth of the tears she was trying to hide.

“There isn’t any other family I’d rather be a part of.”

He laughed and she pulled back swiping at her tears. He smiled as she blinked several times calming herself down.

“Good to know.”

Rebecca came in a couple of seconds later with Nathan in tow. They turned and grinned at the 8-year-old holding Rebecca’s hand. Mia waved.

“Hey kiddo.”

“Hi Mia…I got my toy that I wanted to show you, can you come play?”

“You bet I can. Come on.”

She got up and took his hand and as they were heading out the door he stopped and turned to Oliver.

“Are you coming?”

“I’ll be there in a minute buddy. Just gotta talk to Rebecca for a sec.”

Nathan smiled and they disappeared down the hall. Oliver glanced at the woman in front of him and grinned.

“If you don’t have a problem with it I’d like to have the second set of papers drawn up. I’ll sign them now.”

She grinned and nodded. Her second assessment of Oliver Queen was definitely the correct one. He really was a good man. She pressed a few buttons and printed out the paperwork. Oliver watched her as she gathered the papers and took out his cell phone to call Chloe. This was news he was almost positive his girlfriend would want to hear.






_____


Mia glanced at Oliver as he looked at his watch for the third time. They were in the elevator heading up to his apartment and she could feel the anxiousness coming off him in waves.

“Oliver I’m sure she’s fine. You know Chloe she probably got involved in something she was doing.”

He shook his head as he glared at the elevator. Since when did it take this long to scale the building?

“No…something isn’t right. Bart said she wasn’t at Watchtower and she isn’t answering any of my messages, pings, or calls. We might have to call in the Calvary if she isn’t here.”

The door beeped, opened and Oliver practically leapt out of the metal car. He rushed into the apartment heartbeat frantic as he glanced around and called out for her.

“Chloe…Chloe!”

Mia walked into the living room and froze. Her voice was soft and slightly confused when she spoke.

“Oliver…”

He looked at Mia and then in the direction she pointed to. Chloe was sitting in his chair, glass of amber liquid in her hands, papers scattered around the small table as she stared out the balcony doors. Relief filled him as he rushed over to her and kneeled in front of her.

“Chlo…are you okay?”

Her eyes made their way to his and she let out a bitter laugh.

“I suppose that depends on your definition of okay.”

Oliver titled his head to the side and caught the intense worry on Mia’s face.

“Mia can you go clean out the guest room for Nathan please?”

“But--”

“Mia…”

She sighed and left them alone. Oliver turned back to Chloe and raised an eyebrow. She motioned to the papers around her and his brows furrowed as he sat back, butt hitting the floor before reaching for the papers. He caught sight of the name on top of the sheet of paper and his eyes widened.

“You finally got the report back on Karen Bingham.”

“Yeah…I did.”

He glossed over some of the papers and then while reading the fourth one he stopped, body tensing as he read the next to last sentence. He sucked in a deep breath and looked up at Chloe. She was watching him and he opened his mouth, but shut it quickly. He wasn’t sure what to say.

“I’m sorry…”

Chloe scowled.

“Sorry…what for?”

“This is all my fault Chloe.”

She let out a frustrated sigh and stood, putting her glass down, voice growing louder as she spoke.

“Would you just stop it Oliver! Stop blaming yourself for this. It isn’t your fault. And now we have proof of that. God don’t you get it? Don’t you see? Karen Bingham’s maiden name was Lane. The general came here to talk to my Mother after the report of her body being found came out on the news.”

He stood, lips in a tight line as he watched her throw up her hands while speaking.

“He wanted to talk to my Mother about her. This isn’t a coincidence…the only thing that makes sense is siblings. She was their sister…which would mean that she was probably a meta-human like my Mom…like me.”

Oliver nodded.

“I guess that would make sense. It would explain why the general was here…and maybe why he didn’t want you and Lois involved in this. Chloe…are you okay?”

She shook her head.

“No Ollie…I’m nowhere near okay.”

He sighed and pulled her into his arms slowly rubbing her back, trying to ease the tension out of her body. Things were starting to make more sense, but the picture still wasn’t clear. There were still so many unanswered questions.

He felt her take a deep breath before pushing away from him and pacing back and forth. She grabbed the papers and put them in the folder before lifting it off the table. Oliver frowned as she headed towards the elevator.

“Chloe, wait where are you going?”

“I’m going to find the general and talk to him.”

“I’m not sure that’s such a great idea.”

“Why not?”

“Because right now he’s at the farm. Lois called. We’re supposed to stop by there for dinner.”

Chloe arched an eyebrow.

“Then what are we waiting for? Mia! We’re going to the farm for dinner lets go.”

Chloe stepped into the open elevator as Mia came jogging down the hall confusion on her face.

“What’s going on?”

Chloe held the door open and motioned for Mia to get in.

“Dinner at the Kent’s.”

Mia’s shoulders sank.

“Ugh but I don’t like Boyscout.”

Oliver laughed before he caught the look on Chloe’s face. He cleared his throat and nudged Mia into the elevator. The doors slid shut and as they quietly descended Oliver rubbed the bridge of his nose. This dinner was not going to be a pretty one…

7 comments:

  1. I am now more intrigued that Karen Bingham is a relative, and how she connects to Chloe, but adoption wise, it would probably go in Oliver and Chloe's favor since Chloe would be a relative, right? Can't wait for the next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! :DDD
    I loved the chapter today.
    I'm very curious and intrigued with this mystery that involves Karen. I love seeing the Oliver so excited with the idea of having your own family.
    He and Chloe deserve to be very happy.

    “Ugh but I don’t like Boyscout.”

    Hahah I love Mia =P

    Great job Corina.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! So much happened in this chapter! Please let everything work out so that Nathan can be a Queen! And this Karen is a Lane...? Oh my. This dinner will definitely be eventful! Can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome chapter!! I really liked how you made Mia an official part of the family! Also, I like the plot twist you have - I certainly wasn't expecting that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally love this story, I cant wait to read more and see what will happen next. Also do you send out alerts when you update? If so can you please add me because I dont want to miss the next chap. I really want to know how this ends. The characters are really well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great chapter! I loved that Oliver's adopting Mia. And Iloved their little talk. And I ABSOLUTELY LOVED the part where Mia's shoulders sank and she said "ugh I don't like boyscout.". Loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I adore Mia and so does Ollie haha Yeah Mia is not a fan of Clark. :)

      Delete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)