September 3, 2010

This Life

Banner By: Andrea
Title: This Life
Rating: PG-13
Author: Sxymami0909
Fandom: Smallville
Pairing: Oliver/Chloe Mia
Word Count: 1,335
Prompt: “It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." written for week #37 of Fandom_Fridays




Mia stood on the balcony arms folded over the railing as she stared out at the setting sun. She could hear Oliver and Chloe arguing with Clark in the background and she sighed. After everything Oliver had done for her, she hated being one of the people who caused so much trouble between him and Clark.

“She’s a child Oliver and she’s going to get herself killed! That’s the third time in the past two months I had to stop what I was doing and save her.”

She winced and Oliver spoke with anger in his voice.

“Yeah, and a lot of good that did, she was still hurt.”

“She isn’t cut out for this.”

Mia could hear Chloe cut in, trying to be the voice of reason as usual not that it ever worked.

“Clark Mia is still learning, everyone has accidents--”

“Please Chloe you of all people should know better. I can’t believe you’re going along with him.”

“Don’t yell at her.”

Mia let out a heavy breath and pushed away from the railing before making her way back inside the apartment. She cleared her throat and three heads glanced up.

“Listen, I’m sorry okay, but you don’t need to worry about me anymore. I’m done with the whole pretending to be a hero bit…so whatever.”

Oliver glared at Clark and Chloe frowned as she moved forward and spoke.

“Mia--”

Mia just held up a hand and shook her head before walking down the hall towards her room. Her door shut quietly and Chloe turned towards Clark arms crossed over her chest brows furrowed.

“You are unbelievable Clark.”

He shook his head.

“No, I’m realistic. I can’t just drop what I’m doing all the time and save her. I have to patrol too. There are people calling me for help all the time and it’s not like she has powers or anything to keep her safe.”

“Neither do I Clark, but I still go out there. I don’t see you trying to stop me.”

The irritation in Clark’s stance deflated as he leaned back against the kitchen island.

“Look I’m not trying to be mean, but she’s what 18…19? Does she really need to be risking her life? You say you’re her guardian Oliver and yet you let her go out there? You know how it is and still you let her risk her life? Great parenting skills guys.”

Oliver took a step forward, but Chloe placed a hand on his arm and shook her head. Oliver’s jaw clenched as he tried not to hit the Kryptonian in front of him.

“We appreciate you helping her tonight Clark, but what Mia does and doesn’t do isn’t your concern.”

He opened his mouth and Chloe cut him off, stern look on her face as she spoke.

“Thank you…goodnight.”

He glanced between them before sighing and speeding away. Oliver turned to her and grunted. His body was tense and she knew he was angry. He plopped down on the couch and she raised an eyebrow at him.

“What?”

“You know he has a point.”

Oliver threw his hands up.

“Seriously Chloe? I thought we agreed that Mia was an adult and could make her own choices.”

She nodded.

“We did and I still stand by that. What I meant was if she’s going to be a part of this life she should be prepared. Meaning until she’s ready maybe the two of you should patrol together. Let her get a feel for things to be safe. And I believe I said that from the beginning.”

He nodded.

“I know…you’re right and normally we do go out together. I was stuck in meetings last night and I didn’t get the text saying she was going until she was already out there.”

Chloe pursed her lips together.

“It’s something one of us should talk to her about.”

“I don’t want her to think I don’t trust her, or that I think she can’t hack it because I know she can.”

“Right now I think she needs to hear that.”

He glanced down the hall before letting out a heavy breath.

“I guess you have a point…you coming with me Sidekick?”

Chloe bit her lip an indecisive look on her face.

“I don’t want to intrude.”

He stood taking her hand in his.

“She values your opinion just as much as mine.”

She hesitated for a moment more before nodding. They made their way down the hall and Oliver knocked lightly on her door before pushing it open. She glanced up from her bed, slight smirk on her face that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“What’s the point of knocking if you’re going to come in without waiting for an answer?”

Chloe chuckled lightly and Oliver shrugged.

“I don’t know…formality?”

They walked into the room and Chloe motioned to the bed. Mia nodded and shifted as the blonde sat beside her. She glanced between them and looked away as she spoke.

“Listen, I’m sorry about the whole Clark thing. It isn’t like I called for him, I radioed Watchtower and Chloe said he was the only one currently on patrol. But maybe he’s right. Maybe I’m just not cut out for this.”

Oliver could see the dejected look on Mia’s face even though she tried to hide it.

“The only thing you have to be sorry about is going on patrol without me. I thought we agreed for the first few months we’d go together…watch each other’s backs.”

She sighed.

“I know. Again…I’m sorry. You were busy and I thought I’d be fine alone.”

Chloe touched her arm lightly voice soft as she spoke.

“As far as not being cut out for this…I think you’re wrong.”

Mia shrugged.

“Well like Clark said it’s not like I have any powers or anything.”

Oliver made a face.

“Uh hello…neither do I. Just because we don’t have powers that doesn’t mean we can’t do good in the world.”

He glanced at Chloe, warmth in his eyes as he spoke.

“Someone once told me it’s our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”

Chloe grinned remembering the night she told him that, when he’d questioned himself much like Mia was doing now. The teenager’s voice brought her from her thoughts.

“Yeah, but you’re not always getting hurt.”

Chloe snorted.

“Please I can’t tell you how many times I’ve had to patch him up.”

Mia chuckled and Oliver let out an indignant sound before she continued speaking.

“But you also need to remember Oliver’s been doing this a lot longer. It takes practice and commitment. If you really don’t want to do this that’s fine. You don’t have to, but if you only want to quit because other people think you can’t do it…well that’s just unacceptable.”

Oliver nodded.

“In this family we’re not quitters.”

She studied their faces carefully and their words seemed genuine. She swallowed hard and gave them a small smile.

“Thanks…”

Oliver raised an eyebrow.

“For?”

“Believing in me. I’m gonna go grab my workout clothes from the other room. Think we can spar a bit before dinner?”

He grinned.

“Sure thing.”

“Okay.”

She bounced off the bed and headed out of the room leaving Chloe grinning at Oliver. She stood and he pulled her into his arms.

“What are you smiling at Professor?”

“Because you and me are getting pretty good at this attempting to raise a teenager thing. I’m sorta proud of us.”

He chuckled.

“Mmm well I think since we’re doing so good we deserve a reward. What do you say we kick Mia out for the night and make the guys hang out with her so we can have a little fun of our own?”

His lips came down to her neck and she smirked as he peppered her with kisses.

“I’d say you’re a horrible man Mr. Queen.”

He laughed lightly.

“But you like it.”

She wrapped her arms around his neck as she spoke.

“Indeed I do.”

2 comments:

  1. Every time Clark spoke, I had to keep repeating the mantra, "Violence is wrong." I'm sure Ollie was repeating something similar.

    Who is he to say who is and isn’t hero material or question anyone’s parenting skills? Or the age when someone decides to become a hero? She doesn’t have any powers, so she shouldn’t be out there. Really? Way to discourage someone who could be an asset.

    I think Oliver and Chloe handled the situation admirably. I like that he wanted them to speak to her together. It shows how much he trusts her and values her opinion as well as how much he wants to include her in his life.

    “I don’t know…formality?”

    “In this family we’re not quitters.”

    I love these two lines. The former cracks me up and the latter gives me the warm and fuzzies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So not a Clark fan. He's such a butt-head and proves he's not a team player at all.
    Love Chlollie being parents. They are awesome!!!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)