October 9, 2010

The Rest of Forever Starts Today

Title: The Rest of Forever Starts Today
Rating: PG-13
Author: Sxymami0909
Fandom: Smallville
Pairing: Oliver/Chloe
Word Count: 1910
Prompt: Tag to Episode 10.3 ‘Supergirl’






“I will find you. I will heal the ruins left inside you.”



She could see him clearly in the dimly lit club, body tense, back pressed against the booth, glass of amber liquid in his hands. His eyes scanned the room, searching for what she wasn’t sure. It hadn’t taken long for her to find him, he always was predictable that way…a creature of habit.

And now that she had found him a part of her was afraid to approach him. It had been six long months since the last time she saw him. Since he held her in his arms, kissed her, and took off to fight the good fight. But regardless, she was going to have to make her presence known at some point.

After all, this was the reason she had come back or rather he was. Oliver was nothing if not resourceful. She remembered the look on his face clearly as he stared into that screen, determination on his face as if he were looking right at her saying ‘that’s right I just told the world I’m Green Arrow…what are you gonna do about it…come home.’

He knew the fallout of his decision would bring her home. He knew she’d fix it because that was what she did. He played on her weakness to protect him…left his own hints and trails, after all he had learned from the best. And to think, she thought he just humored her when she talked about all her techy stuff.

Just one more facet of Oliver Queen that she hadn’t known. She’d outlined a plan for him, gave him hints…clues. Let him know that no matter what they said, she was out there and she was alive. But no…that wasn’t good enough for him and knowing what she knows about Oliver she should have realized that.

He beat her at her own game…no one had ever done that before, but then again no one was Oliver Queen. Chloe wanted to be angry with him about the rash decisions he’d been making in her absence. She wanted to yell, ask him what the hell he thought he was doing.

But she didn’t need to. If anyone knew Oliver’s motives it was her. Love. It was what had prompted her choices from the beginning…the reason she had come up with her elaborate plan and traded herself for him in the first place.

Chloe swallowed hard, squared her shoulders and made her way through the crowd. Zigzagging through the mass of moving bodies on the dance floor but her eyes never left the small table in the back of the club. Nothing else existed, but him.

When she slid into the seat across from him, he didn’t seem startled by her presence. She watched him as his eyes took in the room around them and he brought the glass to his lips. She arched an eyebrow, leaning into the seat, voice soft.

“Drinking again? I can’t imagine that’s a good road to go down these days with your new claim to fame.”

Oliver’s lip quirked at the corner, but his eyes didn’t stray in her direction, his voice easy and light, but with an undertone of tension. “Well my girlfriend traded her life for mine, faked her own death, and then left me here to deal with the fallout so every once in a while I have the occasional drink…you know socially of course.”

Chloe winced, she supposed she deserved that, but it still hurt to hear. Honesty had always been there way though, she didn’t know why she thought that would change now.

“Well, that girlfriend of yours probably had a plan she thought would protect all the people she loved…including you. Maybe she thought you’d be better off without her…protecting you from afar and keeping your secret safe.”

Oliver took another sip of his drink, trying to hold his hands steady so she wouldn’t see just how hard it was for him not to grab her and pull her into his arms. When he finally looked at her he knew she could see the pain in his eyes…the hurt…the anger.

He frowned, voice stern as he gazed into emerald eyes, “That was her first mistake.”

“What?”

He leaned back in his seat studying the confusion on her face. “This girlfriend…her first mistake was making a plan that I wasn’t a part of. We were a team…and she disregarded that. Whether her motives were pure or not…she broke her promise to me.”

Chloe nodded her chest tight, “She didn’t mean to.”

He shrugged and had to swallow the lump in his throat at the obvious pain in her voice. “That doesn’t make it okay Chloe.”

She paused and pursed her lips together, “No…I suppose it doesn’t. Then why Oliver…why all of this,” she motioned around the room, “why go through all this trouble and come out of the closet so to speak if you didn’t want me back. If your angry.”

He shook his head and let out a bitter chuckle, “I’m hurt Chloe. You shouldn’t have left. You should have came back to me.”

She glared at him, “And you shouldn’t have told the world who you really are! How does that help? Look at everything that’s happened because of that decision. Look at what your life’s become…”

He took another sip of his drink and gave her a one armed shrug, “What’s the matter? Doctor Fates helmet didn’t show you this future? I’m curious Chloe…what did it show you that had you think I’d be perfectly fine with you gone?”

Her eyes teared up at his tone and she took a deep breath, voice barely a whisper, “This was a mistake.” She shifted along the seat but his hand shot out, grabbing her arm. Her head jerked in his direction and his voice was fierce, but his eyes…

The warm affectionate eyes she loved now held an unbearable amount of pain and it chilled her to her very core. “Don’t…don’t you dare get up and walk away from me again. I won’t let you. You want to know what this was for…why I did this? You…everything I’ve been doing…it’s been for you.”

She opened and closed her mouth before nodding, voice low. “I know…it’s why I came back…we need to fix this Ollie…let me help.”

Chloe reached out a hand hesitantly touching his arm and when he didn’t pull away she shifted closer to him. Oliver closed his eyes and let out a heavy breath. He could feel the warmth of her hand against his arm and his heartbeat pounded against his chest.

He’d missed her touch…her scent…he’d missed her. He wet his lips voice hoarse and emotional, “Why…so you can clean up my mess and leave again?”

“Ollie…”

He shook his head, eyes opening as they bore into hers, “No…I don’t want your help…not unless you plan on sticking around afterwards. I can’t do this with you Chloe…you’re either here or you’re not. Do you love me? Because I’ve gotta tell you…I love you more than I thought was possible…so make a decision…make a choice…are we a team? Or…am I stupid for thinking I could make you come back and stay with me…”

A tear slid down her cheek and he couldn’t stop himself from reaching up and brushing it away. His palm cupped her cheek and she leaned into the touch. His touch…she didn’t realize how much she’d missed it until the moment his hand was on her.

He pressed their foreheads together and she let out a small sob as tears built up in his eyes.
“Talk to me Chloe…tell me it wasn’t all for nothing…tell me there’s still a chance…tell me I haven’t lost you.”

She squeezed her eyes shut, turning her face to kiss his palm as she wrapped her arms around him tightly, tears falling onto his shirt as he stroked her hair. “I do…I do love you Oliver…you’re everything to me…that’s why I couldn’t let you stay there…I saw what they were doing…what would have happened and I couldn’t lose someone else I love because of these secrets we keep.”

She pulled back her hands framing his face. “I couldn’t lose you…they would have killed you…don’t you get that. I would not have been able to go on living…fighting without you.”

He shook his head, “So you left me to do it without you? I need you. You might think I’m better off…that we’re all better off, but Chloe I need you. Not Green Arrow…hero…not Oliver Queen CEO…just me…just the man…and I need the woman I love by my side.”

She nodded, “Okay…”

A startled expression crossed his face, “Okay? That’s it?”

She chuckled lightly through her tears, “What were you expecting?”

He paused, “I don’t know…more of a fight from you. I figured it would take a while to convince you…I even planned on buying you another satellite.”

She raised an eyebrow at the spark of amusement in his eyes and smiled, “No…satellites were what got us into the mess. You’re never allowed to go near them again.”

“Is that an order? Because you do realize I’m the boss right?”

She snorted, “Ollie…you haven’t been the boss in a long time…”

He inclined his head, “Jeez Professor you could at least give a guy the illusion he’s still in charge.”
“I could, but we do have that honesty rule…”

“Oh is that in place again?”

“Absolutely…”

He watched her closely as he brushed a piece a hair from her face, “I think an amendment is in order.”

“Hmm…”

“From this point forward…no lies and no making elaborate plans without discussing it first or at the very least a plan that ends up with one or more of us taking off for months on end…I have a feeling my heart can’t handle it again…”

She brushed her thumb across his cheek, voice soft. “Amendment accepted…god I’ve missed you…I’m so sorry…I never meant to hurt you.”

He nodded. “Don’t do it again.”

She spoke with conviction.

Never.”

He gave her half a smile, tilting his head to the side. “So…are we a team Sidekick?”

“Always…”

He grinned, pulling her body against his and capturing her lips with his. She wrapped her arms around his neck, as he enveloped her in his arms. His smell surrounding her welcoming her home as hands slid across soft skin, lips parting while they drank each other in.

They pulled apart for air, heads resting against each other as they breathed in heavy taking deep breaths. Hands never losing contact with the other’s body. He nudged his nose against hers and spoke quietly.

“So what now? How do we fix this?”

She shifted so she could look up at him while giving him a cheeky smile…and it was the first time in months that her smile had reached her eyes.

“I’ve got a plan…”

Oliver rolled his eyes, and laughed his mind, body, and heart feeling much lighter than it had in months as he stood pulling her from the booth and leading her towards the exit. The cold night air hit their bodies and she moved closer to his side as he took her hand in his.

“Of course you do…”

Her grin widened and he shook his head. Everything wasn’t perfect…they still had things to work out, but with the lives they led, everything could be lost in an instant…one moment could change it all and Oliver didn’t want to waste anymore time now that he had Chloe back. For him the rest of forever started today…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)