October 15, 2010

Inconceivable Love Chapter (4/5)

Banner By: Doomedxdream


Chapter 4
‘Secret Identities’


Lex parked his car outside the farmhouse and made his way up the front steps toward the door. He’d received a frantic phone call from Clark less than twenty minutes asking him to come over as soon as he could. He sighed as he knocked and then pushed open the door.

“Clark, you here?”

“Yeah, I’m upstairs.”

Lex made his way up the staircase glancing at the walls as he went. There were a few pictures of Evan, a couple of Clark a Chloe, even one of the four of them from a trip they took a little over a year ago. Lex smiled.

It had been a spur of the moment spring break type trip, but instead of heading to Cancun and South Beach like other college students they’d flown to Fiji on his private jet. It was probably the first time Lex used the jet for pleasure and not business.

He’d forgotten what it was like to have real friends. People who cared not because of the amount of money you had, but because they cared about the person you were. Lex walked into the master bedroom and froze. The floor was littered with clothes and all kinda of contraptions.

Clark spun on his heel and Lex raised an eyebrow at his friend.

“What in the world are you doing?”

“I need your help.”

“It looks more like you need a maid.”

“Funny. No, I did this. Evan found my Superman suit last night.”

Lex furrowed his brows and pursed his lips together before speaking.

“How did that happen?”

Clark shrugged.

“We aren’t used to having someone else around I guess. I came home last night after my patrol and tossed it in the closet behind a few things. Then last night Evan lost his school shirt, the one they wear on days they take field trips and he needed it for today because they were heading to the Metropolis Museum. Chloe told him to check our closet while she checked the laundry and he pulled it out. It was nuts.”

Lex chuckled lightly and shook his head.

“What did you tell him?”

Clark winced.

“That it was a Halloween costume from last year. He seemed to buy it, but I don’t want to take any chances. Do you remember when we talked about having a designated space for my ‘hero’ stuff?”

“I do.”

“Any chance that offer still stands?”

Lex nodded.

“Of course. But what does that have to do with all this?”

Lex motioned to the ground and Clark gave him a sheepish look before speeding around the room. Lex blinked a whoosh of air blowing against him and when he looked around again everything was back in its place.

“Sorry I was looking through everything to find all Superman and Justice League related stuff. I think I’ve got it all now. I want to get it out of the house before Evan finds anything else. The last thing Chloe and I need is him finding out my identity. It would just bring a whole new onslaught of questions we aren’t ready for.”

“Fair enough. Why don’t we grab lunch and then we can head back to the mansion and you can leave everything there until we get your new apartment set up with a secret room for your things. That’s where you want it right?”

Clark nodded.

“That’d be great especially since no one’s there right now.”

They made their way downstairs and Clark glanced at Lex as they headed towards his car. He dumped everything in his friend’s trunk and got into the car.

“So how goes the wedding planning?”

“Good. Invitations went out a few days ago, I’m sure you’ll be getting yours any day now. Everything’s practically done.”

Clark smiled.

“I can’t believe you and Lana are getting married.”

Lex laughed.

“Yeah well, you know what they say. Third time’s a charm and speaking of my blushing bride to be, do you have any idea where she and Chloe went today?”

“No, Chloe did mention wedding stuff this morning though and told me to make sure I pick Evan up at exactly 3:30 because she wouldn’t be home yet.”

“Hmm, interesting. It seems we’re on our own for dinner then.”

Clark nodded and took out his cell phone.

“I’ll call my parents and see if they mind us going over there for dinner. Evan would love it. We can have a guy’s night or whatever they call it.”

Lex chuckled. In all his years he didn’t ever think he had a so called guy’s night, but there were worse things he could be doing rather than spending time with Clark and Evan. He listened as his friend spoke to his parents on the phone as they drove to town.

It had been slightly over a month since Chloe and Clark had taken custody of Evan and though things hadn’t been easy Lex could see they were finally settling into some kind of rhythm with each other thankfully. For a little while there everyone seemed to be worried that they had taken on more then they could chew, but Lex knew better.

Clark and Chloe might be young and have their fair share of issues, but no one was more qualified to take care of Evan than they were. He just hopped that if and when he ever had a child he’d be half as good of a father as Clark was.



~*~*~*~*~


Chloe glanced at her watch, bags in hand before looking back at Lana sitting on the metal table across from her. They’d spent the morning getting fitted for their dresses, paid the florist, spoke with the caterers and then had lunch.

It wasn’t until they were sitting down waiting for their food that Lana told Chloe why it was so important for her to come today. Lana was late. In the four years she’d been seeing Lex, she’d never missed a period. She was regular and on birth control.

Chloe could see how terrified Lana had been so of course she offered to go to the doctor with her friend. It was now four in the afternoon and they were waiting for the test results to come back. The brunette bit her lip as she crossed her legs and held her hands against her knee to keep from fidgeting.

How could she have let this happen? They were always so careful and though she knew Lex most likely wouldn’t be angry she just didn’t feel like she was ready for a baby. She was only twenty-two and though she had a good job running Luthor Corp’s charitable organization and was getting married, she hadn’t planned on adding the role of mother to her resume this soon.

Chloe had just spent the last couple of weeks telling her how hard being a parent was and how many changes she and Clark had to make in order to make things work. She knew Chloe didn’t regret her decision to adopt Evan, not in the slightest, but Lana had seen firsthand the strain it had put on her and Clark’s relationship.

She and Lex were just starting their life together as a couple and she imagined that being newlyweds would come with its own changes. Adding a baby into the mix would only make it more difficult. A warm hand touching her arm broke through her thoughts and she glanced up at the concerned blonde in front of her.

“Lana everything is going to be fine. No matter what the test says you know Lex will be there for you.”

She nodded.

“I know. I just…Chloe I don’t want a baby.”

She opened her mouth to say something when the door was pushed open and the doctor walked in. He glanced between the two young women in front of him and smiled.

“Miss Lang?”

“That’s me.”

He came over and shook her hand before opening the folder he was holding.

“Well it looks like your test came back negative Miss Lang. You’re not pregnant.”

Confusion settled on Lana’s face as she spoke.

“I don’t understand I’m never late doctor. If I’m not pregnant then…well what’s wrong?”

He shrugged.

“It could be nothing. We’ll run a few tests, but most likely it’s stress related. Is there anything you’ve been more worried about then normal? Have you been sleeping okay?”

Chloe smiled at Lana and she chuckled lightly.

“She’s been planning her wedding and I’m sure the extra stress is coming from that.”

The doctor nodded.

“That could do it. If you don’t get it in a few days come back and we’ll run a few more tests to make sure everything is running smoothly.”

Lana slid off the table and shook the doctor’s hand.

“Thank you so much.”

He nodded and walked out of the room. She spun on her heel and grinned at Chloe.

“You have no idea how relieved I am.”

“I can imagine. Where to now?”

“Registry and then we should probably head back to Smallville.”

Chloe nodded as they made their way out of the brick building.

“Hey do you mind if we stop at the Planet? I want to talk to Perry for a minute.”

“Sure.”

They got into the Limo and headed back into the center of town. Chloe was looking through some of the bags as Lana spoke.

“So how are things going with getting Evan to move? He’s only got like two weeks left of school right?”

Chloe nodded.

“Yeah, Clark and I have been taking him to Metropolis on the weekends so he can check out some of the schools in our district and see what the city is like. He seems to like it so far, but he’s still a little iffy about the move. He doesn’t want to be that far away from his friends, grandparents and you and Lex.”

Lana frowned.

“Did you tell him that Lex and I have a place out here too? We’re only staying in Smalville right now because it’s easier to plan the wedding there, but once it’s over I’m pretty sure we’re heading back here. The commute is hard on both of us with the hours we work.”

“Same here. Perry gave us time, but there’s some pressure to get back to Metropolis as soon as possible. He wants his ‘dream team’ so to speak back. And traveling back and forth everyday is just too much.”

“Understandable.”

Lana shook her head and grinned at Chloe.

“God can you believe us? Five years ago if someone told me we’d be here like this today I would have laughed at them. You and Clark parents…me marrying Lex in less than a month. It’s crazy. This isn’t anything how I thought my life would turn out.”

Chloe snorted.

“You and me both.”

“Do you ever wonder what would have happened if you didn’t find Evan? If we’d all still be here? If Clark would have told us his secret, if I’d be with Lex…”

Chloe shrugged.

“I try not to think about the what if’s, but every once in a while I catch myself wondering if Clark and I would have realized how much we meant to each other on our own. Things have always been complicated between us, but Evan…I don’t know. He somehow managed to make everything seem so much less complicated. You know?”

She nodded.

“Yeah, I can see that. Well I’m glad you did. I know at the time I was less than thrilled, but I think everything worked out for the best. You and Clark make a great couple and Lex…well he doesn’t treat me like a porcelain doll. To him I’m his equal and I need that.”

“And you make him a better person Lana. I know that sounds ridiculous, but you do.”

“Thanks Chlo.”

Lana gave Chloe a thoughtful look before reaching into the small fridge and pulling out a bottle of champagne and two glasses. She popped it open and poured a glass for herself and for Chloe. She handed one to the blonde in front of her and then held up her glass.

“A toast to us, snagging some pretty amazing guys, staying friends for so long, six year olds falling for silly lies about Halloween costumes…”

Chloe chuckled as Lana continued.

“And to our future. May we build the kinda roots that last forever.”

“Cheer.”

The two friends clinked their glasses together as the driver took them to their next destination. Neither worried about where they’d be in five or ten years from now. Perfectly content with the hand they’d been dealt despite the challenges that they’d faced in the past and would no doubt face in the future to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)