December 23, 2008

Quintessence Chapter (5/13)

Chapter 5

Chapter 4
(Chloe POV)




The last bell had just rung. I picked up my books and headed out into the hallway. On the way to my locker I ran into Lana. She grinned at me and waved.

“Hey Chloe.”

I smiled and balanced my books in one hand while I unlocked my locker.

“Hey Lana. What’s up?”

She shrugged. I couldn’t detect a hint of earliers anger when she spoke.

“Not much. Hey I heard the new guy joined the paper today.”

I chuckled. Smallville high…know for it’s gossip…ok most high schools are know for there gossip…but still. I nodded.

“Yup. He came by this morning while Clark and I were talking. Sighed up and everything…I believe his name was Phinnious.”

Lana looked thoughtful for a minute.

“So what’s he like? I heard he’s hot.”

I laughed again as I threw my books in my locker and shut it.

“He’s definitely got that certain something.”

She nodded and we started walking out of the building together. As we stepped outside I saw her lift her purse up and pull out what looked like a card. She grinned and handed it to me. I raised an eyebrow and smirked.

“What’s this?”

She smiled.

“A little birdie told me you got into Met U. This is what you’ve been working for Chloe…Congratulations!”

I shook my head and laughed. I gave her a sideways hug and she squeezed back.

“What about you…have you heard back from anywhere yet?”

I saw her head shake back and forth.

“Not yet. I got everything in really late because I wasn’t really expecting to be here this year. Jason and I are trying to work out the whole college thing though. He’s going to Kansas A&M so I applied there and also Met U. Nowhere to far though.”

She looked down with a shy expression on her face.

“Things are going really well with us.”

I gave her half a smile.

“I’m glad Lana…you deserve to be happy.”

She chortled and when she composed herself we had reached the parking lot. I saw Clark a couple feet in front of me and I waved. He smiled and started walking over to us. Lana’s voice broke my eye contact with Clark.

“I was actually thinking that since you and the new guy are going to be working together that maybe this Friday you guys might wanna go out with me and Jason.”

Clark chose that moment to sidle up beside me.

“Who might want to go out with you and Jason?”

Lana flicked her eyes over at Clark and then back at me. She address Clark but her gaze wasn’t on him.

“We were just making plans for this weekend. I should probably go Chloe. Call me and let m know about this weekend ok?”

I nodded and smiled with a sigh.

“I will. Thanks again for the card.”

She nodded, waved and got into her truck. Two minutes later she was driving away. I shook my head and turned to Clark. He smiled and grabbed my bag from me as we started to walk toward my car. When he spoke his voice was too casual.

“So…you’re going out with the new guy on a double date with Lana on Friday?”

I laughed as Clark opened my car door and tossed my bag in.

“Doubtful. I just met Phin and somehow I don’t see him asking me out.”

Clark shrugged as he leaned against my car.

“You never know.”

I opened the driver’s side door and laid my weight on it. I spoke in a pleasant voice.

“What time do you want me to come over tonight?”

He thought about it for a minute before smiling.

“How bout five thirty?”

I nodded. I motioned to the car when I spoke.

“Sounds good. You need a ride home? I don’t so your truck anywhere.”

He tilted his head to the side and grinned.

“I was running late this morning so I ran here. Thanks but I’ll pass on the ride. I’ll see you later tonight though.”

I inclined my head and he smiled before speeding away. My hair lifted in the breeze from his actions and I stood there in awe for a few seconds before getting in the car. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to that…

On my way home my cell phone rang. It was probably Clark…he was always forgetting to tell me something…I flipped it open.

“Hello.”

“Hey there.”

The voice on the other end was smooth and came out amused. I smiled.

“Hey Lex. I’ve been meaning to call you.”

I could hear the false curiosity in his voice.

“Have you?”

I laughed.

“Yea. Thank you for the flowers. They are beautiful.”

I could hear the smile on his face.

“You’re quite welcome Chloe. I’m sure you’ll do great things there. I do actually have a reason for calling though.”

I turned onto the main road and sighed.

“Let’s have it then.”

He chuckled.

“I have something here that might interest you.”

Curiosity sparked inside me. What could Lex possibly have that would interest me? Hmm maybe it was something to do with the Meteor rocks…he did love studying those…

“You have my attention.”

When he spoke again his voice was business like.

“The Luthorcorp satellites just picked up a very strange reading. Some kind of pure energy signature that recently hurtled into our atmosphere and popped up right in Smallville. I’ve been researching it since I found out about it this morning but none of my people have ever seen anything like this before. There having trouble pinpointing where it’s coming from because it keeps scrambling our signal but it’s definitely here in town.”

For a second my heart raced…something coming into our atmosphere…Clark…but when Lex said it happened recently…I knew it wasn’t him. Hmm I wonder…could it be one of his relatives? I chuckled to myself. I’d have to ask if there was anyone out there like him. I could here the intrigue in my own voice when I spoke to Lex.

“Are you sure? I mean…wow that’s…that’s crazy. I know they haven’t been able to identify it yet but what do they think it might be? I mean like an object, a living thing? What?”

His voice was as excited as mine. It was kind of cute…there aren’t too many things that excite a Luthor.

“They haven’t got a clue. I thought if anyone would enjoy this project as much as me…it would be you. I know you take pleasure in the stranger side of Smallville. What do you say…Partners?”

I was quiet for a few seconds. I don’t know how great of an idea this was…but then again if this was connected to Clark somehow it would be good to have the information up front…My voice came out hesitant.

“I don’t know Lex…”

“It could be one of the greatest discoveries ever…you’d get first dibs on the story…”

He was playing hardball. I sighed.

“Fine…you have a deal.”

I could hear the grin on his face.

“Welcome a bored Project Falcon.”

“Mmmm.”

The line was silent and when Lex spoke again his voice was soft.

“Where are you?”

“Driving home.”

I heard him shuffling some papers around.

“Why don’t you stop by the mansion?”

My expression turned confused as I drove.

“For?”

I heard his deep chuckle.

“My company isn’t enough?”

The statement startled me. Lex wants me to come to the mansion for no reason? I mean yea we hang out but it’s usually planned…not spur of the moment…this is…different.

“Sure…ok. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Se you soon then.”

He disconnected the call and I frowned. I sure was popular today…just as I was turning onto the road Lex’s mansion was on something sped right in front of my car. I slammed on the brakes and my body jerked forward slamming against my seat belt. I glanced around wildly.

I could have swore I just saw a person speed by my car on foot…but…but that’s not possible…unless you’re Clark and he would have stopped…who could that have been?

(Lois POV)

The low howl of the Cappuccino machine whistled at me as a jet of steam rose above my head. I screeched and moved away from it. I heard a deep laughter behind me. I turned around and frowned.

“Something funny?”

He held up his hands in a no harm gesture.

“Sorry. Need some help? Those machines can be uncooperative at times.”

I rose and eyebrow at him and motioned for him to come behind the counter.

“Be my guest, I doubt you’ll have better luck. This stupid coffee maker on crack is ridiculous.”

I kicked the bottom of it and it wailed loudly. He chuckled again softly this time and walked around the counter. I watched him tinker with the back of it for a while. When he stood up he pushed a few buttons and the small nozzle was pouring out freshly brewed and amazing smelling cappuccino. He grinned and wiped his hands off on a towel. He turned his body to face me and put out his hand.

“I’m Phin…and you are?”

I shook his hand with a smile.

“Lois…Lois Lane.”

He nodded and moved out from behind the counter at which point I got a better chance to look at him. As he moved I could see the muscles on his back and arms moving with him. It was one of the sexiest sights I’ve ever seen. His voice interrupted my thoughts.

“Well it’s nice to meet you Lois. How long have you worked here?”

I frowned and waved my hand at the cappuccino maker.

“I’m filling in for a friend right now. I don’t actually work here which is probably why I can’t get the damn thing to work. I’m in the process of getting all my stuff out of town and back to the Met U campus.”

I saw his face light a up bit.

“You’re from Metropolis? Wow we sure are a rare breed out here huh? There’s only one other person I found out here from Metropolis so far and I go to school with her.”

I laughed. My voice was friendly when I spoke.

“Oh yea…what school are you going to?”

“Smallville high.”

I nodded.

“Then you’re probably talking about my cousin Chloe…”

I saw recognition on his face as he nodded. He smirked at me.

“Well let me tell you…your family obviously has very good genes…”

I rolled my eyes and went back behind the counter.

“What can I get you?”

He tried to stifle his laughter as he spoke.

“I’ll have a large black coffee.”

I nodded and started getting it ready. I could feel his stare on my back…god it was intense. My body was starting to feel warm…which was odd because the only hot thing near me was the coffee…and it wasn’t near my back at all. I was about to turn when the coffee pots next to me exploded. As the glass shattered I crouched down and lifted my hands over my head.

What the hell was that? There were a few screams from the customers in the store and most people ran out. I felt someone lifting me up by my arm. I glanced up and it was Phin. He had a worried expression on his face.

“Are you ok Lois?”

I glanced around at the empty café and nodded.

“What the hell was that? How did those coffee pots explode? It’s that strange?”

He was shaking his head back and forth when I saw Clark walking through the Talon doors. He had a large frown on his face as he made his way towards me.

“Lois what’s going on? I just saw a whole bunch of people running out of here…”

He gave Phin a tense glance then turned back to me.

“Are you ok?”

My voice came out irritated, not at Clark but at the situation.

“I’m fine Smallville. There was just an accident…the coffee pots blew up.”

He looked confused. His voice came out with a bit of shock in it.

“You blew up the coffee pots? Jeez Lois…who in there right mind would give you a job here?”

I glared at him and his confusion turned into a grin.

“For your information I’m filling in for Lana Smallville and I don’t appreciate you insinuating that I made the coffee pots explode…because I didn’t”

He gave me an unconvinced look.

“Whatever. I came here because my mom wanted to know if you were coming with Chloe to dinner tonight.”

He did not look happy which made me smile. I grinned up at him and used a baby voice.

“Awwww does Clarky warky want me to come to dinner?”

It was his turn to glare at me. His voice was annoyed when he spoke.

“No. I’d prefer it if you didn’t come. So why don’t I go home and tell my mom you can’t come…besides Chloe and I have some…things to discuss…private things.”

I frowned.

“Clark Kent are you hitting on my cousin? Because if you are…”

I saw his face turn a light shade of red as he glanced over at Phin. I smiled.

“Oh I forgot. Sorry. Phin this is Smallville…also know as Clark. Clark this is Phin.”

They both nodded as Clark spoke up.

“Yea we met earlier today at the Torch. Well I should get going I guess we’re agreed that you’re not coming?”

I sighed.

“Mrs. Kent is an amazing cook.”

I saw the look of horror on his face and I gave him an innocent smile. Phin was the next to speak.

“Wow…I can’t remember the last time I had a home cooked meal.”

I looked at him astonished.

“Are you kidding me? Mrs. Kent’s food is like the best in the county. You know Phin…how would you like to come to dinner with us tonight? You can be my guest.”

He hesitated.

“I don’t know…I don’t want to put anyone out.”

I grinned with a mischievous gleam in my eyes.

“You won’t be. I promise.”

I could see Clark’s face and he was fuming. I turned to him and spoke in a sugary sweet tone.

“Tell your mom we’ll be there at five thirty sharp Smallville. See you in a little while.”

He shook his head and left the Talon in a huff. I chuckled. I so enjoyed getting a rise out of the farm boy…it was just to easy. I really have no clue what Chloe saw in the big lug and I definitely don’t know why Lana dated him…oh well to each there own. I turned back to Phin and he was laughing at me.

“You enjoy bothering him?”

I nodded.

“Absolutely!”

He smiled. When he spoke again his voice glided out of his mouth silkily.

“I have a few things I need to do before dinner tonight. You don’t mind if I meet you back here at around five fifteen do you?”

“Not at all.”

He nodded and smiled. He started to walk away and turned his head over his left shoulder.

“It’s a date then. I’ll see you later.”

And he was gone. I sighed. Who says you can’t find attractive single men in a coffee house. I better start cleaning up those coffee pots. I walked over and started picking up all the glass. I swear if I didn’t know any better I could have sworn I saw some kind of red light touch the coffee pot before it exploded…but that wouldn’t make any sense. I mean what someone used their death ray eyes to kill he evil coffee pot…right…I shook my head.

Today was turning out to be a longer day then I thought it would be…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)