December 23, 2008

Quintessence Chapter (5/13)

Chapter 6



Chapter 5
(Lex POV)




I was at my desk going over paperwork when I heard a sharp knock on the study door.

“Come in.”

It was my assistant. He was standing there tight lipped, his eyebrows drawn together in frustration. I smiled. Chloe had probably been giving him a hard time. That girl sure did give people a run for their money…good thing I have a lot of it.

“Sir there is a Miss Sullivan here to see you.”

I nodded.

“Well, let her in then.”

He moved aside and in came bustling the smirking blonde. I shook my head and grinned. My assistant left shutting the door behind him. She shook her head and her voice was amused when she spoke.

“The people who work for you have absolutely no sense of humor…what so ever.”

I chuckled as she walked closer to me and her voice turned inquisitive.

“No seriously…do they come like that or do you train them?”

I came around to the front of the desk and leaned on it.

“Are you bothering my security again Chloe?”

She gasped slightly and raised a hand over her mouth. Her eyes opened in faux innocence.

“Me…bother your staff? Why I’d never do that Lex…ever…”

I rolled my eyes slightly heavenward and smiled.

“Mmmm yes. Of course. So how are you today?”

She shrugged and sat down in front of me.

“Can’t complain I guess. You?”

“It’s better now.”

I saw her face redden somewhat and as she glanced down. She stood up, walked over to my bookshelf and started fingering through some of my volumes. I sighed. Something was going on with her. By now she had to know I was interested in more than her friendship…she didn’t seem completely turned off by the idea…so I assumed we were on the same page.

“What’s wrong Chloe?”

She shrugged and faced me. Her voice came out nonchalant but I could hear the waver in it.

“Lex…what’s going on here?”

I started making my way over to her as I spread my arms out and gave her a sly grin.

“We’re hanging out.”

She rolled her eyes and the sarcasm that I enjoyed so much came out.

“Seriously…am I going to turn around one day and you’re on one knee trying to make me the next Mrs. Luthor?”

She shook her head as I laughed at her joke.

“I just…I want to know where your heads at…”

I nodded. I strode closer to her. When I was a few inches away I reached out a hand and stroked her face. I felt her gravitate a bit closer to me as I moved in. I pulled her nearer with the hand that was placed on her face. When her mouth was about a centimeter from mine I leaned down, closed my eyes…

“Wait!”

Her whispered voice startled me. I opened my eyes and took a step back as I gave her a confused look.

“What?”

She stepped away and I could see her ringing her hands together. Her voice was soft when she spoke.

“It’s Clark…Lex…I really care about him. I have for a long time.”

I nodded my head in affirmation. Of course it was Clark…what else would it be? I don’t even think he realizes how many women he has lusting after him. It’s ridiculous…

“I understand how you feel about Clark, Chloe…” I placed a hand on each shoulder, “ and not to be hurtful, but Clark has never reciprocated those feelings…at least not to my knowledge…would it be so horrible to try and let someone else in?”

I watched her expression carefully and after the hurt flickered away I saw a smile start to appear on her face. Ah ha…got her…

“I guess it couldn’t hurt…”

I smiled and moved in the other direction to get her some water. I poured bourbon for myself. I turned and stretched out my arm. She gave me half a smile and took the water gratefully. I cleared my throat.

“If it makes you feel any better Chloe…I could speak with Clark about it. Make sure that it’s ok by him that I take you out on a proper date.”

Her eyes lit up and she laughed. Her voice came out with affection.

“You’d do that?”

“I would. You’re both my friends and I don’t want to step on anyone’s toes.”

She put the glass down and came over to me.

“That’d be great Lex…thank you. I really should get going though there’s this dinner at the Kent’s tonight that I was invited to. Clark needed to talk to me about something.”

I shook my head back and forth and held up a finger as I moved towards my desk.

“Wait one second before you run out on me. I want to give you the paperwork for Project Falcon.”

I searched through the papers on my desk for a few seconds before I came up with the right folder.

“Here you go. Look everything over if you have any ideas on what it is let me know. You’ve seen more strange things in this town then I probably have in my life. I’ve had people working on it all day and they still can’t figure it out…maybe you can work your magic…”

She sashayed over to me with a grin on her face as she plucked the folder out of my hand.

“I’ll see what I can do. Call me later?”

I smirked and moved closer to her.

“That can be arranged.”

She lightly pushed on my shoulder and chuckled. She leaned in and kissed my cheek.

“I’ll see you later Lex.”

I watched her walking out and before she closed my door behind her she waved. I sighed and sat back in my chair. Chloe and I didn’t have much in common…but she wasn’t afraid of me…and these days it was getting harder and harder to find that trait in people.

She was definitely one of a kind. With her I knew she was resourceful enough that my crazy everyday life wouldn’t put her in any kind of danger…at least nothing that she doesn’t already get herself into…maybe I was wrong…I didn’t need Lana in my life…Chloe was just as good…if not better…


(Clark POV)

Its five fifteen…where is Chloe? What if she decided not to come…I’ll be stuck here with Lois and Phin all night long…I sighed. This was just great. I was in the kitchen setting the table when I heard the crunching of the gravel outside. I moved over to the window and there was Chloe pulling up. I exhaled noisily. Thank god…I dropped what I was doing and started to walk out as my dad was walking in. I almost bumped directly into him. He frowned.

“What’s your hurry son?”

I gave him a sheepish smile.

“I was gonna meet Chloe at the door. I need to tell her that Lois and Phin are coming…she doesn’t know.”

He nodded and I saw a strange look on his face when he spoke.

“Well watch where you’re going son…you never know who you’ll be slamming into.”

And he continued into the kitchen and gave my mom a kiss as she was stirring something on the stove. I shook my head and went outside to greet Chloe. She was already opening her door when I made it down to her. She smiled at me and waved. When I finally reached her I spoke with anxiety in my voice.

“What took you so long to get here?”

She frowned.

“Is everything ok Clark?”

She stroked my arm lightly and I calmed down. I gave her half a smile.

“Everything’s fine…it’s just…Lois and Phin are coming to dinner tonight…here…”

She nodded and started walking toward the house.

“Well…ok it’s not a big deal…you deal with Lois all the time and Phin is a nice guy…. plus I’m here…if you’re so bothered by it we can handle them together ok?”

Her voice was calm and it made me feel warm inside. Since when did Chloe’s voice make me feel warm inside? I shook my head and followed her inside. When my mom saw us she grinned and came over.

“Chloe sweetheart…it’s so good to see you. I haven’t seen you in a week or so I was beginning to think something happened…”

She hugged her and Chloe smiled and hugged back.

“Do you need any help in here Mrs. Kent?”

She waved Chloe away and I laughed softly. My mom needs help in the kitchen? I mean of course she could use t but she’d never accept it…making dinner for guest was one of her favorite pastimes…

“No…you and Clark go hang out until Lois and her friend get here. Dinner should be ready in about twenty minutes.”

She nodded and I motioned for her to follow me out to the barn. Once we got there, went up the stairs, and settled into the loft I spoke softly.

“So where’d you go after school today?”

I saw her glance around the room before meeting my eyes.

“I was at the mansion…hanging out with Lex.”

She was at the mansion hanging out with Lex…well…I’m glad there friends…ok let me rephrase that if I’m glad there friends why do I have this irritating nawing feeling in the pit of my stomach? What does that mean? Lex is one of my best friends…and Chloe…she is my best friend…so if they wanna be friends…that should be…good…right? I sighed.

“Oh…well that’s…that’s nice. I’m glad you two are getting along so well.”

She nodded.

“Yeah, but anyway…why are you freaking out so bad about Lois and Phin coming to dinner? I mean I know you don’t like my cousin but you’ve never been this crazy about it before.”

Yeah…nice subject change Chloe…but she was right. I shrugged and glanced at her. I wonder if I should tell her…I mean she’s been great about everything else…I can trust Chloe. I stood up and started pacing. I ran my hands through my hair and grunted.

“Ok…so something’s been going on lately. I’ve been…I’ve been having these dreams…”

Chloe leaned her elbows on her knees and concern crossed her face. She spoke with worry in her voice.

“What kind of dreams Clark?”

I stopped pacing and sat across from her.

“Bad ones…I’m…I’m in this place where everything around me is destroyed, and there’s just this overwhelming feeling of loss and pain.”

I shook my head and I’m sure she could see the pain on my face with the way she grabbed my arm and squeezed for support.

“I search through all the rubble and I can’t find anyone. So I run…and as I’m running the ground underneath me starts to disappear. I didn’t matter how fast I run or where I run to…he always finds me.”

Chloe moved closer to me and frowned. Her voice was curious and comforting at the same time.

“Who Clark? Who finds you?”

I looked up into her eyes with an intense look.

“I don’t know. I have no clue who or what he is…but he does something to me…he…he touches my chest and a blinding light appears and I feel like I’m being burned from the inside out…then I wake up…always after that part.”

Her face turned thoughtful.

“Clark…how many times have you had this dream?”

“Last night was the sixth night in a row it’s been this vivid. They didn’t start out like this…they’ve gotten progressively worse. To the point where I don’t sleep just so I don’t have to feel the pain again.”

I saw the pain in her eyes as she closed the distance between us and hugged me. I grasped onto her hard and when she tried to pull away I held on tighter. My voice was a whisper.

“Chloe…I’m scared…it sounds crazy but…I feel like these images…these things really happened and they’re warning me. I don’t know how to stop it from happening again.”

She stroked the back of my neck and shushed me.

“It’ll be fine Clark. You have me now…we’ll figure this out together.”

I smiled into her hair. I knew I could count on Chloe…

“Smallville get you’re hands off my cousin…jeez what did I tell you earlier today.”

I groaned into Chloe’s hair before letting her go. She glanced over the railing as she chuckled. Lois and Phin were standing by the barn door. Terrific just what I needed Lois and her boy wonder…I glared at Lois when I spoke.

“What do you want?”

She raised an eyebrow and spoke quickly.

“Your mom wanted me to come out here and get you guys for dinner.”

I nodded and Chloe followed me down the stairs. When then four of us walked into the house everything was already out on the table. My mom and dad were each sitting at a head of the table. Chloe sat by my mom and I sat next to Chloe.

Lois was on the other side of my dad and Phin was by her. It was weird and incredibly uncomfortable to be sitting around a dinner table with Lois…but especially Phin…he gave me a weird vibe…not one person was talking. Dinner is never quiet at my house…

My mother must have been thinking the same thing because she was the first person to break the silence.

“So Phin…where are you originally from?”

He gave her a charming smile when he spoke.

“I’m from Metropolis Mrs. Kent. Just moved out here about a week or so ago.”

I saw my mom’s face brighten at the words Metropolis. I dad gave a hearty chuckle.

“Oh…Phin be careful now you mentioned one of the magic words…”

I rolled my eyes.

“Why did being from Metropolis impress everyone…I mean I’m from another freakin galaxy doesn’t that mean anything? That’s way cooler then being from Metropolis…”

All eyes at the table were on me. My mom’s face was pale and I heard the clink of her fork falling out of her hand and onto the plate. When I glanced at my dad his jaw was tense and he was trying to hide the shock in his eyes. What the hell is wrong with them?

I glanced over at Chloe to ask her if she new what was wrong and when I turned she was looking at me with frantic eyes and a questioning look. I glanced at Lois and Phin. Lois was giving me the strangest look and Phin had a large smirk on his face. I scowled.

“Why is everyone looking at me like that?”

Lois was the first person to answer me.

“Well when you tell a table full of people that you’re from a different galaxy people might tend to look at you a little strangely…You feeling alright there Smallville?”

A look of horror crossed my face for a second before I hid it as best as I could. Holy crap I said that out loud? How did that happen?

“What are you talking about? I never said that…”

Lois gave me a disbelieving look. Her voice was sarcastic.

“Right…because we all hallucinated the same thing for the brief second your mouth was moving.”

I glared at her and looked around the table. I gave a sheepish smile and shrugged. I wasn’t getting out of this one…

“Fine…ok it was a joke jeez…I just…I just don’t like all this Metropolis talk that’s all…”

Lois shrugged and I heard her mutter “deal with it” My dad chuckled and played it off and my mom started to eat again. I glanced around the table. Lois was talking to Phin now and everything seemed to be going back to normal…or as normal as it was before I let out my big secret.

I let out a small sigh. As my eyes reached Phin I saw that his were locked on mine and for some reason I couldn’t look away. His piercing stare was making me increasingly uncomfortable. As his stare got more and more intense I felt my eyes burning but I couldn’t look away…

I heard screams from all around me and I shook my head. I gazed to my left in what felt like slow motion and I saw the table was up in flames. I reacted right away. I moved Chloe away from the flames and got a large pot of water from the kitchen. I threw it on the fire and blew very discreetly. The fire went out and everyone was standing there speechless.

My mother kept opening and closing her mouth but nothing came out. My father looked furious and I knew I’d be getting it later. Phin was fawning all over Lois making sure she was ok and Chloe had a tight grip on my arm.

I was so confused…what happened. One minute I’m looking at Phin and the next the table is catching fire? I mean my eyes did start to burn and that could have been my heat vision but looking at Phin definitely wouldn’t trigger it…

Plus I wasn’t looking at the table if it was me then Phin would have burst into flames not my mom’s china. It just doesn’t make any sense…Lois’s voice cut through my thoughts.

“What is it with thing’s blowing up and exploding around me today?”

Phin chuckled and Chloe did also but I could hear that it was forced. My mom shooed us all out of the room but made sure to give me a stern look so I knew she’d be talking to me later. As the four of us walked out of the kitchen Chloe was still giving me that tense, curious look. I sighed inwardly…I was going to have a lot to explain tonight…and knowing Chloe she’d want every detail including demonstrations…It’s gonna be a long night…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)