December 23, 2008

Quintessence Chapter (8/13)

Chapter 8



Chapter 7
The Morning After
(Clark POV)




I groaned and pulled my pillow tighter against me. My eyes popped open. Holy crap…that’s not a pillow. I sat up a bit and leaned my head over and lying there with the sunlight streaming through the window onto her blonde hair, was Chloe. I took in the span of her naked back right down to the curve of her…I shook my head. The blanket was covering our lower halves and I was officially freaking out.

What the hell happened last night? Ok…let’s go over this slowly. I came to Chloe’s because I hadn’t seen her all day and I wanted to talk about the whole Lex thing…I was sitting on her bed…and then nothing…but obviously there was something I mean hello…naked!

I heard her groan in her sleep and shift on the bed. Her shifting moved the blanket lower and I had to avert my eyes so my heat vision didn’t accidentally set her room on fire. This was bad…what was I going to say to Chloe when she woke up? How was I going to explain what happened? Dammit!

I ran a frustrated hand through my hair. I got up put my boxers on and moved back onto the bed. I stroked Chloe’s back softly. She moaned in her sleep. I didn’t want to wake her up until I knew how I was going to handle what happened last night.

I mean I came here and even though I couldn’t remember what happened…that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. I shook my head. I needed to decide how I felt about Chloe because this was definitely going to change our friendship. She’s always meant a lot to me and she’s always been there for me…even when she didn’t know my secret.

She makes me laugh when no one else can…her smile brightens up the room…she’s a great listener…and I really don’t want her with Lex. But is that a reason to start a relationship with someone?

I should take not wanting her with Lex out of the equation because if I really thought that Lex could make her happy…. then I’d let them be… but would I be any better? Could I give Chloe what she wanted…what she needed? Yes…or at least I think I can. I smiled down on her and I felt my heartbeat speed up.

This was a good choice…Chloe and I will be good together. Now all I need to do is tell her I don’t remember having sex with her and ask if we can do it again…I wonder how she’ll take that…


(Phin POV)

My eyes burst open and when I saw the sunlight on the wall I grinned. It worked…slowly but surly I was taking control of the Kryptonians body. I got off of the bed and walked over to the mirror. As I glanced in it I watched my eyes go from deep brown to balls of black and then finally a piercing red.

I didn’t have much time left. I wouldn’t be able to keep my hold on this body for much longer…things need to be put in motion. When my eyes stopped glowing I walked over to the shower got in and thought about last night.

That Chloe sure was something I can’t wait until Kal’El woke up naked in a bed with her…with his bumbling nature he wouldn’t know what to do and it would surely remove the meddlesome girl from my path. I heard the phone ringing in the distance. I shut the water and sped to the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey Phin.”

Ah Lois…she was an extremely useful person…. When I destroy this world I just might take her as my queen. Lately she’s been telling me how Chloe has been working on some kind of project with this Lex man who I’ve never met. Unfortunately for them this project directly involves me and for that alone they might just have to die. Of course they didn’t know that it’s me…things would get pretty hairy if they did.

Lois’s voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“You their Phin?”

“I’m here babe. What’s up?”

I heard her voice soften.

“I was thinking tonight is Lex’s dinner party, how would you like to come with me?”

I grinned into the phone. Oh Lois…I do so enjoy how you make things easy for me…

“Who’s going?”

I heard her moving some things around on the other side of the phone.

“Umm Chloe will be there, since there dating or whatever now, Lana, Smallville, and most importantly me.”

I chuckled. Oh this should be good…tonight will be the perfect night to let everyone’s dirty little secrets air out…

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world Lo’. I’ll pick you up at six and we’ll drive over.”

“Ok I’ll see you then. I gotta go, I’m working on a paper for school.”

“Bye babe.”

I could hear the smile in her voice. Humans were so easy…

“Bye.”

The line disconnected and I started to get dressed for the day.

I had four weeks left…four weeks until this body failed me and I’d have to move on to another until I got a Kryptonian body. I moved into the bathroom faced the mirror and closed my eyes. When I opened them I was hovering above the body that I possessed.

I need to feed…my essence couldn’t last another day without a proper energy source. But the humans were tracking my energy signature every time I fed. If they were able to get an exact Location on me…they could capture me.

They wouldn’t be able to kill me but I could only exist outside of a host for so long…I’ve been trying to scramble there sources but since I’ve been feeding less and less I don’t have enough power to keep them from finding me. I sighed.

I’ll just have to feed quickly…besides I have a date with trouble tonight….


(Lana POV)

I cuddled into the warm body next to me and smiled. Last night was amazing…I felt the arm that was around my naked midsection retract and I frowned. I turned as he got up and pulled on his silk boxers. He moved over to his closet and started pulling out clothes.

“What are you doing?”

He didn’t face me when he spoke but his voice came out with a bitter edge to it.

“I have to get ready. I have work to do today before the dinner party tonight.”

I pulled the sheet around me and stood up with it wrapped around my body as I walked over to him. When he didn’t turn around I walked in front of him. He still ignored me. I could feel my eyes start to get watery. No I would not let myself cry…I knew last night what this was...Sex. Pure unadulterated wild sex…and I loved it, but I didn’t want to share him with other people…or more specifically one other girl.

“Look at me.”

He moved away from me and back over to the bed. He started tugging his pants on roughly and my voice hardened. I stormed over to him and shook my head.

“Dammit Lex! Look at me.”

He glanced up and gazed at me appraisingly. His rough exterior deflated and his eyes softened. When he spoke his voice was quiet.

“What is it that you want from me Lana?”

I scowled at him. What did I want? Well I know one thing that I wanted for sure. I didn’t want him dating Chloe. Ok so maybe that sounded selfish but I honestly didn’t realize that I had feelings for Lex until he was unavailable. I just…I always thought he’d be there…if I needed him or wanted him. I didn’t think he’d move on to my best friend…

“Why? Why Chloe Lex?”

He frowned.

“Why do I need to explain myself to you Lana? We aren’t together. I have someone in my life. Someone who I spend my time with, laugh with, go out with. Chloe is a nice girl she makes an adequate significant other.”

I shook my head. Is he serious? An adequate significant other? Jeez could he not say girlfriend? What kind of life was that? She was adequate. I gave him a look of disgust.

“What is wrong with you Lex? God…could you get over yourself for five minutes and talk to me like a human being! Why in the world would you want a relationship to be adequate? I’ve have been looking for so long for that one person…I thought it was Clark…and then Jason…and now…now I don’t know who it is but at least I’m looking for it. I’m not settling for adequate.”

His look grew furious and he stormed over in my direction, which made me take a few steps back. His voice was harsh when he spoke and his eyes were cold.

“You want me to be honest Lana? You want to know what happened?” he paused, “Answer me!”

I nodded slowly he was starting to scare me.

“You. You happened. I have been trying for years to get you to look at me the way you look at Clark! And yet here we are four and a half years later and we’re still in the same place. I know that I have been more than obvious about my feelings on more than one occasion…but you either didn’t see it or you chose not to see it.”

My facial expression was stunned. I went to say something but he cut me off.

“Don’t. I have no desire to hear what you have to say in your defense. So I decided to move on. What? What’s that look for? Did you think I was going to wait around forever for you Lana? The minute you heard I was with Chloe you came here and threw yourself at me…what does that say about you?”

I glared in his direction as I started collecting my clothes from the floor. When I had them all in my hands I looked into his face and my voice came out venomous.

“You accepted my offer knowing you had a girlfriend who you were just with earlier in the evening…what does that say about you?”

As I was storming out of the bedroom I heard hid voice behind me.

“It makes me a man…a fool. This…it was a one-time thing Lana…and don’t you even think of breathing a word of this to Chloe. I won’t have you jeopardizing my relationship. You had your chance…and never took it…thank isn’t my problem.”

I froze in my spot and twisted my body around. I looked him over as he finished getting ready. I wonder…I walked over to him and when I was less than a foot in front of him I smirked. He glanced at me and raised an eyebrow. I let the sheet I was holding around me drop to the ground and I saw his adams apple bob as he swallowed hard.

I walked around his stationary form…like a lion circling it’s pray.

“Lex…you’ve never been good at denying yourself things that you’ve wanted, and I think you want me…”

I ended in front of him and closed the distance between us. He froze with his hands by his side. I moved my mouth by his ear and my voice came out in a sultry whispered tone.

“I want you Lex and its obvious you want me. I know you’re mad that I never opened my eyes and heart to you…but there open now…and I like what I see…”

I enclosed his ear with my lips and sucked on it before moving my mouth down to his neck.

“Chloe is adequate because I’m what you want…let go of your stubborn nature Lex. I’m sorry it took me so long to realize it…give me another chance and I swear you won’t be disappointed…I’ll make you happy…”

He pushed me arms length away and I felt his gaze burning through me. Right when I thought he was going to kick me out he threw me onto the bed hard. It startled me and as he got on top of me I could feel the adrenalin rushing through my body. I yanked his clothes off one at a time and he kissed me viciously.

He was mad…but I didn’t care. I liked everything he was doing…by the time dinner rolled around tonight Chloe would be nothing but a faded memory…


(Chloe POV)

I rolled over and my body hit warm mattress. I frowned and opened my eyes and glanced at the empty mattress beside me. I felt a searing pain in my heart. He left…I should have know that last night was a load of crap. I trust way to easily. I shook my head and I could feel the tears coming when someone cleared their throat behind me.

I whipped my head around and pulled the sheet up to my neck. It was Clark. He was fully dressed and sitting in my desk chair facing me. I gave him a confused look.

“What are you doing?”

He stuttered when he spoke.

“I…I was just…I th…thought maybe I should sit h…here and wait for you to wake up. I…I thought we should…talk.”

I nodded as I wrapped the sheet around me tighter and leaned against the headboard. My voice was gloomy.

“Yeah…you’re right. Let’s start with the part where you were in my bedroom when I came home from my date…what the hell was that?”

He looked like a deer caught in headlights and if I weren’t so angry I probably would have laughed at him.

“I…”

He sighed and ran his hands through his hair.

“Lex talk to me yesterday…told me about the two of you…I wanted to talk to you about it. Why didn’t you tell me Chloe…its kind of a big deal isn’t it?”

I looked down at the bed and shrugged. My voice was quiet when I spoke.

“I didn’t want you to get mad at me…I know that where not together or anything but still I thought you might be upset with me…” I looked up at him and gave him half a smile, “that’s crazy right?”

I chuckled lightly even though it hurt to do so, especially after last night.

“No…it’s not crazy…you’re right I would have been mad…I mean I am…I was…whatever. What I mean was I wasn’t any happier hearing it from Lex than I would have been hearing it from you. I don’t want you seeing him Chloe…”

His face didn’t meet mine when he said it but if it did he was have seen the utter shock written on my face. Did he just say he doesn’t want me seeing Lex? Does that…does that mean he wants to be with me? I frowned.

“What does that mean Clark? Why don’t you want me seeing Lex? He’s a good man…”

I saw a glimmer of anger on his face before it disappeared at he glanced at me.

“Chloe…we had sex last night…”

I nodded and my face grew red. We sure did…not once but twice…he sure was one of those quick recoverers. I didn’t know what to say and he was just sitting there. He paused and then I heard another long sigh.

“I…I don’t remember what happened Chlo…I mean I know we had sex. That much was obvious to me when I woke up…but the last thing I remember is sitting on your bed…after that everything sort of goes foggy…I think…I think something’s wrong with me…we need to figure out why I did what I did last night…what could have caused that kind of lapse in judgment.”

I had to sit there for a few minutes a digest what he had just told me. He didn’t remember last night? He thinks something’s wrong with him? Was he really saying all this to me…right now? The look on my face-hardened.

“So what…something has to be wrong with you in order to sleep with me?”

He looked up. Shock and confusion written on his face. He was shaking his head.

“I…I didn’t say that…Chloe please…hear me out.”

I shook my head and got out of bed in a furry.

“I don’t want to hear another thing form you. How dare you Clark…. I dare you come here sleep with me and then try and tell me something must be wrong with you for having a lapse in judgment and letting that happen…god…and I thought that it actually meant something…but you’re just like every other guy…Get out…GET OUT!”

I through a pillow at him and he caught it. His expression was a mixture between fear, pain, and confusion.

“Chloe please…that…that isn’t what I meant let me explain…I do care about you…I just…it’s hard to explain but just let me try…give me a chance…”

I cut him off and my voice was still furious but I was no longer yelling. There was pain in my eyes and I know he saw it.

“I gave you every chance Clark…and each time I’ve opened my heart to you…you’ve crushed it. Not this time…”

He stood there speechless. I motioned between the two of us.

“This…it never happened. Lex and I are together. I care about him…and I won’t let this little…” I glared at him, “mishap change that. Go home Clark…I don’t wan to talk to you right now.”

He shook his head and when he spoke I could hear the pain in his voice.

“Chloe…I love you…you know that…please just hear me out…let me explain what I meant…you’re my best friend…I need you…”

I glanced up with tears in my eyes and met his stare.

“Do you…love me?”

He spoke without hesitation.

“Yes.”

I nodded.

“As more than a friend?”

And there was the hesitation.

“I…”

He voice died out and I felt a small tear slid down my right cheek. I turned around so I wasn’t facing him.

“Go…just…please Clark…if you care about me at all you’ll leave. Forget this happened and we’ll just get on with life. I’ll see you later at the dinner party…”

My back was facing him I heard him walk towards the door and before he left I heard his voice. It was strong and forceful.

“I don’t know what’s going on Chloe…but I’m going to figure it out…please don’t brush what happened under the rug just yet…. I said I didn’t remember it…not that I regretted it…I do care about you…more than you know...and I’ll prove it…don’t get to comfortable with Lex…I’m the guy for you Chloe Sullivan…you’ll see…”

And he walked out. I finally turned around and there were tears rolling down my face. I was a horrible person…I knew this would never work out…I knew he’d regret it…he’s Clark. I’m not the one he wants he basically said that before…but what’s even worse than that I put myself out there and I cheated on Lex and tonight…tonight we were all going to have to be in the same room together…dinner was gonna be hell…

(Lex POV)

Chloe should be here any minute. I was fixing my shirt when there was a knock on my door.

“Come in.”

I saw the door open and a blonde head popped in the doorway. There was a smile on her face.

“Decent?”

I chuckled.

“Not since I was about ten.”

She gave me a intense smirk and in walked a vision in green. When I bought her the dress I had absolutely no clue how enticing it would look on her. Silk was the perfect choice for her it complimented her well. The dress came elegantly low in the front and then dipped in the back to right above her tailbone. She glided over to me and stood beside me.

“Ready?”

I nodded and turned to face her.

“You look stunning.”

She smiled and slapped me lightly on the shoulder. When she spoke her voice was reprimanding but there was a twinkle in her eyes.

“Oh Lex…flattery will get you no where…I’m not putting out that easily pumpkin…maybe next time…”

I laughed and shook my head as I ushered her out of the room. She definitely told it like it was…but that’s ok I wasn’t in a rush. We moved into the study, which was decorated with a large table that was set for our dinner party. Chloe walked in front of me and glanced around the room. Her eyes were wide.

“Wow Lex…it looks great.”

She turned and smiled at me. I have to admit I felt bad…has never happened before. I’ve been with a lot of women…I cheated on a lot to, but I’ve never felt bad about it before now. She trusts me…thinks I’m a good person…and I guess sometimes I can be but right now I wasn’t. Her voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“When is everyone else coming?”

I moved over to her and placed my arms around her waist.

“Soon.”

I leaned in and kissed her. She hesitated for a second before kissing me back. I moved my hand, cupped her face and pulled her closer to me. My other hand was traveling slowly down her back. I was about to reach my destination when the study doors opened and in came Clark. Wonderful…it figures he’d know exactly when to come to ruin the moment.

Chloe ended the kiss and gave me an apologetic smile. I sighed and turned to face Clark.

“Hey Clark, you’re early.”

He nodded and glanced between Chloe and I. I started to feel some tension in the room so I decided to try and defuse things.

“Clark, want a drink?”

His eyes still hadn’t left Chloe.

“Sure Lex. That’d be great…thanks.”

I walked over to the drink cart and poured Clark some water, Chloe a martini, and myself some scotch. Chloe walked over and stood next to me. I turned, grinned at her and handed her the Martini. She smiled, gave me a chaste kiss and went back over to the table. I moved toward Clark with both of our drinks in my hand and reached out to hand him his.

He gave me a small smile and took it. Lana was next to show up she quickly got Clark’s attention and they were engaged in a stimulating conversation I’m sure. A few minutes later Lois and her boyfriend…Phin I think his name was, showed up and we all sat down to eat.

The table was so quiet I could hear the clinking of forks as they hit the plates. I have to say in all my years of throwing parties and dinners this had to be the first unsuccessful one I’ve ever had…it was going to be an incredibly long night if this tension didn’t disperse soon…

(Phin POV)

I could feel the tension around the table coming from these humans…it was intoxicating. There was nothing better than raging emotions…I could feed for days in this room alone. I was glancing at this Lex character and thought I’d break the silence.

“So Lex…Lois tells me that you run your own company. That must be a tough job for someone you’re age. You’re not to much older than us are you?”

He seemed relieved to be talking about something neutral. He nodded his head.

“It’s not to bad. It’s really all about delegating responsibilities to different people. I do take care of a lot of things on my own but Luthorcorp is a multi million-dollar company…I can’t be everywhere at once. It’s a lucrative business though and I do enjoy it.”

I nodded and smiled.

“Well it is always good to enjoy what you do.”

He inclined his head in agreement. I glanced across the table and saw Clark looking intently at Chloe. Hmmm that’s interesting. I wonder how Lex feels about Clark eyeing his girlfriend…from the looks of it I’d say he was not enjoying it too much but he was trying to ignore it and take it in stride. I saw him lean over, pick up Chloe’s hand and kiss her palm.

She glanced over and gave him a warm smile but I noticed it didn’t reach her eyes. When my gaze landed back on Clark his eyes were squinted with frustration and I couldn’t help but smile as I ate my Cornish hen. Lois nudged me under the table and I turned to her with an inquisitive look.

“What are you smiling about over there?”

I grinned.

“Young love.”

She rolled her eyes and I heard her whisper “cornball” under her breath. Little did she know that I wasn’t talking about the people who were paired up at dinner…Everyone had secrets and tonight was going to be the night they all came out…This was going to be one hell of a party…I’d make sure of it…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)