December 23, 2008

Quintessence Chapter (9/13)

Chapter 9



Chapter 8
Forty-Five Minutes after dinner
(Chloe POV)




I was sitting in Lex’s bedroom while he screamed at people outside in the corridor. His voice was ragging.

“What the hell am I paying you people for? Get off your asses and clean up the damn study! Make sure you call the window repairman first thing in the morning and get him here tomorrow no excuses! I want this place cleaned up! Go!”

I heard heavy steps coming toward the door and my hand tightened on the back of the chair I was sitting on. Two seconds later the door burst open and in came Lex. He slammed the door behind him and paced the length of the room. I wasn’t exactly sure what to say…I mean sorry my best friend burnt up your study seemed like it wouldn’t go over well considering Lex had no idea about Clark’s powers.

He looked like a caged animal. I sighed and spoke in a calm voice.

“Lex…”

He glared in my direction and kept pacing. I shook my head and looked up at the ceiling…Did I forget to mention that Lex knows I spent the night with Clark? Yea well that came out at dinner too. Clark was nice enough to let him know. Thankfully he didn’t say anything about the sex part…but Lex wasn’t stupid and he was pissed. I tried again to get his attention.

“Lex please…we are going to have to talk about this at some point. Let’s just rip the band aide off ok. Ask me anything you want…I’ll answer you honestly. I’ve never lied to you before when you’ve asked me something outright.”

He stopped pacing and faced me. He nodded and his voice had a irritated edge to it.

“You spent the night with Clark?”

I nodded.

“I did.”

He sat on his bed and took in my demeanor.

“Was this the first time it’s happened?”

My voice was tired but truthful.

“Yes.”

He spoke and this time him voice was the picture of calmness but his eyes had a crazy tinge to them.

“Did you sleep with him?”

I didn’t want to lie…but I also didn’t want to give Clark the satisfaction of being the one to end my relationship with Lex. He was acting oddly tonight. He used his powers in the open and just smirked it off like it was nothing. I took a deep breath and prepared to tell one of the biggest lies to someone who could practically be a human lie detector.

“No. Nothing happened.”

He raised an eyebrow at me and I sighed.

“You dropped me off and when I got into my bedroom he was they’re waiting for me. He was babbling on about how you told him we were a couple and you hoped it was ok and he went on to say it wasn’t ok and he wanted me. He said you weren’t good enough for me…that you were a good person just…not for me. He was so drunk Lex…I don’t even think he had any clue what he was saying.”

I shrugged.

“He passed out not to long later and I couldn’t do anything about it then so I just went to sleep. I didn’t mention it because it didn’t feel the need to cause any problems between the two of you. He obviously is just afraid that he’s losing the last person he has who he can count on. Fist it was Lana…then Alicia was murdered and now I’m with you…”

I glanced at him and he looked like he was buying it. His head was nodding and his voice turned softer.

“Just because we’re together…it doesn’t mean the two of you still can’t have the friendship you have been having. I would never ask you to give up his friendship…it wouldn’t be right of me. I’m a little hurt that Clark thinks so little of me. Does he really think I’m trying to steel you from him?”

Who the hell knows with Clark these days. He’s been acting like a totally different person. I can’t even keep track of his personalities anymore. When I left here tonight I was goin to the farm to search around for some Red K because Clark was being completely off his rocker!

“I don’t know. That’s something the two of you are going to have to work on. But speaking of steeling people away. Any clue why my best girlfriend is treating me like a leper?”

He turned his head and didn’t quite make eye contact with me. I frowned.

“Lex…what’s going on?”

He faced me and there was a sympathetic look on his face. I heard him exhale deeply and run a hand through his hair in a very Clark like gesture.

“I wasn’t going to tell you this because I know that you don’t have many girlfriends that you trust, but yesterday while I was getting ready for the charity ball Lana stopped by. To make a long story short she practically through herself at me. She did everything short of pulling me down and riding me like some kind of horse to get me to sleep with her.”

My mouth dropped open and I stared at him in shock. What? Lana wouldn’t do that…would she?

“I’m sorry…she what?”

He nodded.

“She knew we were together to. Because I distinctly remember her saying that she just came from having coffee with my “girlfriend” and wanted to know if I was in need of a little refreshment…”

I was still speechless…and getting angrier by the second. Who the hell did Lana think she was that she could proposition my man? One of these days the pink princess and me were gonna throw down and we’d see who the better woman was. My other dilemma is…do I even have a right to be angry. I did have sex with Clark last night…and I sure as hell enjoyed it.

But Lana was supposed to be my friend and regardless of what I did or didn’t do…she didn’t know it happened and therefore she thought she was breaking up a perfect relationship…and she was ok with that. So yeah…I had every right to be mad! I glanced at Lex’s face as he sat there and I don’t think I was aware of how nervous I was about the next question I was going to ask.

Truth be told I have always had a Lana complex…I’ve always felt that every guy in the world thought she was better then me. And for once I just wanted to be the one that the guy chose…Even though I wasn’t faithful to Lex…I really wanted him to have been faithful to me…I wanted him to have chosen me over Lana…

My voice came out low with a bit of a waver in it. It tried to hide my anxiety but I don’t think it worked to well. I was twisting my fingers together when I spoke.

“What happened when she…did that?”

He was quiet for a second before getting up and kneeling in front of me. His eyes bored into mine intensely as he grasped my hands.

“I have wanted Lana for a long time, years even. I have done so much for her in hopes that she’d look at me as more than a friend and each time she turned away from me I didn’t walk away unscathed. When I saw Lana I saw a beacon of good that could help me fight off everything my father has ever drilled into my head.”

There were tears pooling in my eyes. Oh god…he did…he did sleep with her. I went to turn my face away but he gently held my chin in place and me my eyes again.

“But yesterday…she wasn’t that girl I fell so hard for. She was someone else. She knew we were together and she came here anyway planning to seduce me because she finally opened her eyes now that I am with someone else. I am no body’s second’s choice. You didn’t fall into my lap Chloe…I chose you.”

He gave me a slight smile.

“You never let me get the upper hand with you, and it frustrates the hell out of me but if you were any other way I’d have been bored weeks ago. You are hell bent on getting to the truth of things even though occasionally people you care about are caught in the crossfire, you still don’t let anyone get in the way of what you think is right. I admire that quality. Its how I run things in my office and my life.”

His tone of voice turned light and he grinned.

“Don’t doubt that you’re what I want Chloe…I won’t lie and tell you that I’m over her…but I know you’re not over Clark…so it kinda balances it’s self out…right?”

He gave me an inquisitive look and I had to chuckle through my tears at his tone of voice. I don’t love Lex…not in the slightest way…but right now I sure did like him a hell of a lot. No one has ever chosen me over Lana before…and who would have thought it’d be Lex.

I placed my hand on the side of his face and smiled at him. He moved his head and kissed my palm.

“Thank you…you…you don’t know what that means to me Lex…honestly.”

He nodded and slowly stood up. I heard him sigh as he walked toward his closet. I stood up and shook my head.

“I’d stay but I have a few more people to talk to. Lois seemed really upset by the fight between Phin and Clark. I should make sure she’s ok. I also need to go knock some sense into Clark…I can’t believe his outrageous behavior tonight.”

I groaned and he turned waiting for me to finish. I smirked at him and spoke with amusement.

“And now I need to go get into a fist fight with my best friend because she tried to steal my man…”

He chuckled and walked over to me.

“Next time.”

He leaned in and gave me a kiss. When he broke away I kissed him again and waved before I walked out the door. Today was a disaster…and I didn’t picture my talk with Clark going any better…I really hated being caught in the middle of things…Clark was out of line tonight though. He used his powers in front of everyone…he was lucky no one realized what was going on…I had half a mind to beat the stupid out of him…well at least tonight couldn’t get any worse…

(Clark POV)

I was throwing piles of hay against the wall. Dinner was horrible. Well at least the beginning half was. The part where I set the dessert on fire and blew it across the table and out the window was pretty amusing. Chloe looked awful mad…but the look of confusion on everyone else’s face was priceless…and completely worth it.

I heard heels clicking on the ground leading to the barn. I grinned. Hmm I wonder who that could be…I heard a loud shrill voice call my name and for a second I cringed.

“Clark Jerome Kent what in the world were you thinking?”

I chuckled and turned to face Chloe.

“Well you finally decided to leave your little boyfriends house and come here…what’s the matter? Lex not enough man for you Chlo?”

I saw her expression harden and she glared in my direction. When she spoke her voice came out unrelenting.

“What the hell is wrong with you Clark? Where is it? Tell me right now!”

She started to frantically search the barn and I raised an eyebrow.

“Where’s what Chloe? What are you looking for?”

She glared at me again as she walked by.

“I’m looking for the Red K you’re juicing yourself up with. That’s the only explanation for you to be acting like such an ass!”

Did I mention Chloe was hot when she was mad? Well she is…I sat on one of the piles of hay and watched her roam. She stomped in front of me when her search came up empty. She frowned.

“Clark seriously…where is it? Are you hiding it on your person?”

I grinned and waggled my eyebrows as I spoke to her.

“I dunno…wanna check and see?”

She growled in frustration. I stood up and started to move toward her when I felt a wave of dizziness take over me. I stopped. She must not have noticed because she kept on ranting.

“You know what…I don’t care. Clark you were out of line tonight. I don’t care that you were rude to me or even that you were horrible to Lex but you used your powers in front of people and you punched Phin! Lois is furious…she says his eye is twice it’s normal size…I just…I don’t know what to do here…I’m just…I'm gonna go…”

As she walked out I struggled to get out her name.

“Chlo..e…”

When I did get it out it came out forced and rough as my body slammed into the ground. I saw her turn and the look on her face went straight to panic as she lifted the hem of her dress and ran over to me. She fell to the ground next to me and turned me over. I could feel her cold hands pressed against my cheeks. Her voice came out frantic.

“Oh my god Clark…you’re burning up…what do I do?”

I shook my head. I had no idea…I didn’t know what was going on…it was just like at dinner…I could see everything that was happening but I couldn’t stop myself…like I was riding shotgun to my own body.

“Chloe…help…me…don’t leave…please…need you…”

I saw her lips moving but didn’t hear anything coming out…everything was getting darker around me as I tried to shake the bleary vision off…my last coherent thought before everything went black was at least Chloe didn’t completely hate me for earlier…


Fifteen Minutes Later

(Chloe POV)

I was sitting in the Kent living room watching as Mrs. Kent ran around the kitchen getting a warm cloth for Clark. Mr. Kent was pacing the living room while an unconscious Clark laid on the couch. When Clark passed out in the barn and gave me a premature heart attack I ran into the Kent house screaming for help.

I might have let it slip that I thought Red K was affecting him and that’s how I ended up here being grilled by Mr. Kent…His voice was stern when he spoke.

“How long have you known Chloe?”

I sighed. I didn’t want to get Clark in trouble but I couldn’t lie to Mr. Kent. I put my head down before I spoke.

“A while now. Alicia showed me his powers before she died and Clark told me everything not to long after that.”

He nodded and stopped moving so that he was directly in front of me.

“Chloe…you understand how important it is for you not to say anything right?”

I nodded. My face scrunched up and my voice was honest when I spoke.

“I would never betray Clark’s trust Mr. Kent…your son means a lot to me…”

He gave me a small smile and we watched as Martha moved the cloth over Clark’s head. She seemed distraught…and believe me I wasn’t far behind her. Mr. Kent pulled her up from her spot by Clark and spoke to her softly.

“There isn’t anything else we can do Martha…we need to let Clark ride this out…it’s up to him now. Let’s go upstairs…give Chloe some time with him.”

I gave them a weak smile as Mrs. Kent came over and hugged me. She whispered in my ear before turning around and going upstairs with Mr. Kent.

“I’m glad he has you Chloe…”

And they were gone. I took the seat next to Clark and held his hand tightly in mine. I shook my head and gave a heavy sigh.

“You really don’t have to work so hard for my attention Clark…I mean passing out in the barn…a little dramatic…Don’t you think? Listen…it’s time for you to wake up now…I don’t know what’s going on in that head of yours but wherever you are it must be extremely hot with all this sweat you’re leaking…”

I tried to laugh but it turned into a sob and I covered my mouth with my hand to muffle the sound. I closed my eyes as tears fell out of them. I felt a touch of clammy skin on my face and my eyes popped open. Clark was lying there with his eyes slightly open one hand wiping my tears with a slight smile on his face. His voice was horse when he spoke.

“Don’t cry Chlo…I hate it…when you cry…”

I leaned in and hugged him hard and when I heard him grunt I lessened the pressure.

“Sorry…God Clark…you scared the crap out of me…what happened?”

He lifted his shoulders lightly and attempted a shrug.

“Not sure…listen Chloe…I’m really sorry about tonight, and before you interrupt me let me talk. I don’t know what’s been going on with me but I know something is wrong. When I said…what I said earlier today before you kicked me out of your house…I didn’t mean what you thought.”

I saw him breath in deep and let it out. I could tell he wanted to get this out but he still wasn’t feeling well so I waited.

“I have never…been with anyone before you, and there was a reason for that. I need time to adjust my abilities to new…situations. I was afraid if I was ever…with a human…you know in that way that I could hurt them. And you’re the last person in the world I want to hurt.”

By the time he was done speaking his face was close to matching a tomato and I couldn’t help but chuckle a bit. He moved himself into a sitting position and I helped steady him. It looked like some of his color was coming back. That really is the weirdest thing…

“Clark…did you have Red kryptonite on you tonight? Honestly…”

He shook his head.

“No Chloe. I honestly don’t know what’s going on. I meant it when I said something was wrong with me.”

I nodded and the room grew quiet. I glanced around and my eyes landed back on my hands as I sighed.

“Well I guess I better go…”

I stood up and Clark arm shot out. His voice was low and it came out hurt.

“Is this how it’s gonna be from now on Chlo?”

I frowned.

“What do you mean?”

He shook his head.

“We need to talk about what happened. You know after I left you this morning…I thought maybe you pushed me away because you didn’t care about me in that way anymore…but then something occurred to me. You’re not the type of person who just goes around sleeping with people…so if you didn’t care nothing would have happened last night…”

He gave me a small grin and tilted his head to the side.

“Chloe you’re my best friend…and I know that I’ve had blinders on for most of our friendship…and I didn’t see what was right in front of me…but I see you know. I know that you’re with Lex…and I see that he treats you well and you smile a lot with him, but that smile…it doesn’t reach your eyes when you’re with him…and I know that I could make you happier.”

I sat down and he took my hand in his. I was terrified to believe the words that were coming out of Clark’s mouth. And maybe that was the problem…maybe it wasn’t that he had his chance and it’s passed…and maybe when he talked to me early this morning about all this I did believe him…But I was scared of opening up my heart again…I am so in love with Clark…I’ve never questioned that…but will that be enough…

“Give me a chance…one chance to prove to you that I can be the guy for you…and if I blow it I promise I’ll never mention us again. Chloe…I love you as a friend but I’m not going to say I’m in love with you because I think it’s too soon for me to tell that…but I can say that you’re the kind of girl I can fall in love with…I’ve always had a special place in my heart for you…since the moment I met you…. but recently…my feelings for you have changed and I want more of you…”

He moved into a sitting position, which startled me, and he grinned. His voice was low when he spoke like he was telling a secret.

“I know you’re scared…” I went to protest but he shook his head, “I know that I’ve disappointed you in the past…but can you really pass up this chance Chlo? If it doesn’t work out…then fine we can go back to being friends…but if you don’t at least give us this chance…you’ll always wonder what if…I’ll always wonder what if…and I think it would kill me…”

I looked into his eyes and they were shinning with sincerity. He was serious…he wanted there to be an us…I was shocked…well maybe not as stunned as I should have been. I knew he was serious this morning…but I couldn’t bring myself to face what had happened between us…

Being in a relationship with Clark would be hard…it would take time, effort, work. He’s emotionally retarded so he’ll mess up a lot…and then there’s being able to control his abilities and what not…I’ve loved Clark since I met him…but was choosing him over Lex really worth all the trouble I’d be putting up with?

As I looked into his eyes and watched his eyebrow get higher with each passing second I grinned at him. A look of relief came over his face. When I spoke there was amusement in my voice but seriousness in my eyes.

“This won’t be easy…”

He nodded his head.

“I know.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“It’s gonna take work and effort Clark…on both our parts…”

He smiled.

“I completely agree.”

I could see the excitement on his face and I laughed as I shook my head.

“This means form now on we need to be completely honest with each other…about everything…and we need to take things slow to make this…transition work…”

He just kept nodding.

“Yes…completely honest Chlo I promise…and umm how slow are we taking it exactly?”

I frowned at him and he waved me away.

“Just kidding?”

I shook my head. Clark was such a dork sometimes…I needed to break up with Lex…oh man…this really sucked…Clark must have seen the look on my face because he placed a hand on my cheek.

“What’s wrong?”

I sighed.

“I need to break up with Lex…but listen Clark…we can not get together right afterwards…I won’t do that to him. I’ll break up with him next week and then…well we’ll work things out from there…ok?”

He didn’t look happy but he nodded. Great…everything was worked out…I would break up with Lex and then Clark and I could…casually date for a little while before making it official for everyone…yea…that works…everything would be fine…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)