December 23, 2008

Quintessence (13/13)

Epilogue
Four Months Later
(Chloe POV)




I was pacing in the Kent kitchen wondering what was taking Clark so long. The door opened and when I turned my gown whirled around with me.

“Whoa cuz look at you all…red…”

I rolled my eyes and laughed.

“It’s maroon Lo, and stop making fun I hate this stupid gown as it is…”

She came with a crooked smirk on her face.

“Oh come on Chlo…its not that bad…besides you only graduate once…”

I nodded and glanced at my watch again.

“Thank god…where’s Mr. and Mrs. Kent?”

She pointed out the door.

“In the car waiting I just came to see what was taking you guys so long.”

I sighed. Clark was…big dumb alien…

“Why don’t you guys just go on without us. I have my car. Clark and I will meet you guys there ok?”

She raised an eyebrow.

“You sure?”

I nodded, she waved and left. I glanced up the stairs and called out to Clark.

“Clark Kent! Let’s go! Graduation starts in forty minutes and we’re supposed to be there early!”

I heard clomping down the steps and then Clark was there fixing his tie.

“Sorry…I’m having trouble with this damn tie…”

I smiled and walked over to him. I pushed his hands away and fixed it for him.

“There…all better.”

He smiled.

“What would I do without you?”

“Wither away?”

he chuckled probably. He slid into his suit jacket and then threw the gown over it. He frowned.

“I hate these things.”

“Join the club. We gotta go.”

He leaned in and gave me a kiss.

“Lead the way.”

We got outside and into the car. The drive over there was quiet. I glanced at Clark out of the corner of my eye. He looked nervous. I placed one of my hands over his and gave it a squeeze.

“It’s gonna be fine Clark.”

He sighed.

“I know…I just…it’s hard.”

I nodded. Of course it was…four months ago after the whole Thor incident things were a lot more tense then we thought they’d be. Lana had miraculously survived the fire but she was in the hospital up until just last week. They finally released her to Lex’s custody where she’d have round the clock care for at least another six months. She was in pretty bad shape.

Clark had gone to apologize but she wasn’t ready to be in the same room as him yet…everything was still to fresh in her mind. I think out of all of us she was hurt the most…physically and mentally. Next came Lex…he accepted Clarks apology right away but things were strained. They are just now starting to get there friendship back to what it was.

They’re going to Metropolis together next weekend. Clark’s gonna show Lex around the Met U campus and I think they’re going to a game. I’m happy for them. Lois is…well she’s Lois…she yelled at Clark when she first saw him and hit him a few times until her hand hurt…but after about two or three weeks she stopped giving him a hard time and things were back to normal with them…which I guess isn’t that different from her yelling at him.

For the past two months Clark has used his nights to help rebuild Smallville…his guilt has slowly been fading at my insistence…but everything takes time. That’s what this is all about…time and healing…we pulled up and parked. Clark got out and grabbed my hand as we ran to where the rest of our classmates were. We got in our respective seats and waited for the long ceremony ahead.

I heard them call Clark and I smiled he grinned at me and mouthed ‘I love you’ my smiled widened and I mouthed it back. I kept thinking about everything I’ve been through this year…everything we’ve all been through and my thoughts turned to Alicia…and how I probably wouldn’t be where I am if it wasn’t for her. she was crazy and did things on the spur of the moment…but she had a good heart and I feel like I owe her one…

I heard them call my name and I got up onto the stage and as I grasped my diploma in my hand I looked out into the audience. I caught Clarks eye and there was a sparkle in them as he clapped for me. This place…this school…this is where it all began…all the adventures Clark and I had…all the fights…all the making up…I’ll never forget Smallville high and all it symbolizes to my life, and I’ll never forget Alicia Baker…because somehow I feel like without her…Clark and I wouldn’t be together right now…

I have no doubt that Clark would have eventually told me about his secret but it would have taken him a lot longer to open up…we would have wasted so much time…
As I looked around all the smiling faces and the tears…I smiled…this wasn’t the end for Clark and I…it was just the beginning…and from past experience I’d say we’re in for a bumpy ride…but I wouldn’t have it any other way…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)