December 7, 2008

Three Minutes Chapter (17/18)

http://haveatit-reportergirl.blogspot.com/2008/12/three-minutes-epilogue.html

Chapter 17 
(Clark POV)



I could hear the rain pelting against the kitchen windows as I sat at the table. It’s been about forty-seven minutes since I called Oliver…and then Lois…she was frantic. She came over here and screamed at me for a good fifteen minutes before she broke down in my arms and sobbed. I pushed the chair back and heard the legs scrape against the floor.

It was to quiet here without Chloe…I shook my head. I needed to snap out of it. Chloe needs my help…Oliver and the team should be here soon and I had a plan. I walked over to the window, moved the curtains, and looked outside. The weather reflected my mood…I felt a hand on my shoulder and I turned slowly and faced Lois.

Her face was grim. Her eyes were wet and puffy, her lips were set tight in a frown and her nose was red. I raised an eyebrow at her waiting for her to say something. She opened her mouth and closed it a few times before anything actually came out, but when it did I could hear the pain in her voice. I could feel it…between the two of us the pain was tangible…

“Clark…why are we still here? I know…I know you said we’re waiting for something but…what…what are we waiting for? She…she needs…”

Her voice broke and her hand came up to cover her mouth as she continued to try and speak.

“Lex has her…he has her Clark…oh god…”

Lois wasn’t an emotional person…and here she was practically hysterical in front of me. I pulled her into my arms and rubbed her back. Her nails dug into me and she gripped me tight…like I’d run away if she let go…as soon as Oliver got here I’d tell them my plan and we’d go…tonight wasn’t about right or wrong…it wasn’t about good or evil…tonight was about power…and who had it. Lex wouldn’t make it out of this unscathed…neither would Lana…I’d make sure of that…


(Lex POV)

I watched from behind a large two-way glass partition as Chloe continued trying to get out of her restraints. She’d never be able to…no matter how hard she tried…it was made from reinforced steel. It was time to have the doctor come in and start the procedure. I made my way around and into the room. When she saw me she stopped struggling and glared in my direction. When she spoke her voice was hard and there was an edge to it that I’ve never heard before.

“I don’t know what you hope to accomplish by this Lex…but whatever it is…it’s not going to work…I don’t have a Meteor power…and I’m honestly of no use to you…at all.”

I grinned. I wasn’t really sure if she was trying to convince herself or if she was trying to convince me. I’ll tell you what though…she still doesn’t get it…none of them did and that made me smile. I could here her clearing her throat so I faced her.

She gave me a dark look as she spoke in a harsh voice.

“Clark’s going to come here…and when he does…you’re going to pay. You’ve gone to far this time Lex…I don’t know what you want with me…but whatever it is…I won’t give it to you…”

I moved closer to her and smirked. I shook my head and chuckled. My voice came out amused when I finally spoke.

“You don’t get it…do you Chloe…after everything you still don’t understand what this is all about.”

I saw confusion set in on her face as one of the 33.1 scientists came out of a side door in a white lab coat. He walked over to Chloe and started to hook her up to an IV. She tried to move her arm away but it didn’t work.

“What the hell is going on Lex?! What do you mean I don’t get it?”

I sighed.

“You and Clark keep threatening me…you keep saying I’ll never get away with this and that I can’t have you…or experiment on you…and so on…”

I shook my head and then glanced back up at her my eyes boring into her face as I spoke, making sure she understood my words.

“Who ever said that I wanted you?”

She looked confused for about a second before realization flittered across her face. I saw her skin pale and her eyes go wide. I could hear her whispered voice from where I stood.

“The baby…you…you want my baby…but…why?”

I have been waiting months for her to figure it out just so that I could give her the answer to this question. When the doctor moved aside I took his place beside Chloe and smirked down on her.

“Why?”

I shook my head slightly and gave her a wistful look.

“You being the hot shot investigative reporter I thought you would figured it out by now…no well let me fill you in then.”

I walked around to the other side of her.

“Your child Chloe…is going to be a third generation Meteor freak…the first we’ll ever have the pleasure of studying…that alone would have been enough…but that’s not why I want him…I want him because he is going to tell me exactly what Clark Kent has been hiding all these years…”
She frowned.

“What are you talking about? My son doesn’t have anything to do with Clark…he’s not even born yet…he can’t tell you anything…”

I moved back, crossed my arms over my chest and let out a loud chuckle.

“That is where you are so wrong Chloe because…this baby…you’re baby…”

I paused and the smile on my face widened.

“Will be able to tell me all about Clark…considering it is his son.”


(Chloe POV)

He’s crazy…absolutely out of his mind we told everyone a long time ago that Clark lied about that…he just needed the doctors to let him stay with me while I was in the hospital…I can’t believe Lex still thought it was true. I moved my arms and legs trying to release myself from the bonds. When nothing happened I glanced back at Lex and he still had that all knowing smile on his face…it was pissing me off.

“Lex…Clark lied about that…I thought you knew…the baby isn’t Clarks…just…please…just let me go…”

He laughed.

“Again you’re not understanding me Chloe…I am telling you that baby is Clarks not Jimmy’s…”

Shock appeared on my face and Lex nodded.

“That’s right I know who you though it was and I also know that you and Clark didn’t sleep together before your pregnancy…I can even tell you the exact date you…conceived…”

I felt sick…he couldn’t be saying what I thought he was saying…no…I don’t know if I’d be able to deal with that…I shook my head quickly. I was starting to feel a sharp pain in my lower back.

“No…no you’re lying! It’s not…possible…”

“Oh it is…the night I took you was the very same night that your baby was implanted inside of you.”

Calm down Chloe…freaking out isn’t helping anyone…maybe he did implant the baby inside me…but still that has nothing to do with Clark…I tried to sound nonchalant when I spoke.

“That still doesn’t have anything to do with Clark…”

I saw him bare his teeth and the pain in my back was getting stronger now. I winced as he spoke.
“Clark’s genetics was used to create your child. It’s amazing what you can do with technology these days…I mean all I had was Clark’s blood…and yet here you are practically full term…we didn’t think it could be done…but Dr. Rhinehouse…he figured it out and then proceeded to monitor you every step of the way. The makeup of your baby…is…”

He paused and I assumed he was trying to think of a word to describe it.

“Absolutely amazing.”

He walked back up to me and grinned down. Clark would come for me…I know he would…and when he did I couldn’t wait for him to wipe that irritating smirk off of Lex’s face.

“How could you? How could you just violate me like that? God Lex…what happened to all the humanity you had?”

I shook my head and I saw another doctor come out and walk over to me. He loosened the straps that were holding me down and he spoke in a quiet voice.

“I’m releasing you…I would like you to move over to this bed…it will probably be more comfortable for when you deliver.”

I froze. Deliver…I wasn’t delivering anything…oh god I can feel the pain getting worse…no please no…not here…the doctor helped me up and I hit him. I tried to move but two more guards appeared practically out of nowhere. Lex glared over at me.

“We can do this the easy way or the hard way Chloe…it’s up to you. But either way I am going to get that baby and you…well depending on how much trouble you cause me I guess will determine where you end up…”

I closed my eyes briefly and I felt a few tears slip down my cheeks. I felt a sharp pain shoot from my back all the way down to my feet and I bent over in pain. I felt arms wrap around me and move me to a different table. I glanced over and it was Lex. I ripped my body away from him.

“Don’t touch me…don’t you dare touch me! You’re sick…I can’t…god…I just don’t…why are you doing this to me?”

I didn’t even care that I sounded hysterical or that I was crying in front of Lex…I’d do anything to get my son out of here. Lex was watching as the doctor turned toward my IV. He faced me and spoke loud.

“Relax Chloe…I won’t touch you again…but you really should calm yourself down…this would be a lot easier if you were calm.”

I shook my head. I needed to figure out how to get out of here…or to at least stall until Clark got here…

“Lex…can’t we make some kind of deal? A trade? You can keep me here do whatever you want…just please…please leave my son alone…He’s not even born yet…”

For the first time tonight I saw an honest smile on Lex’s face. His voice was soft and understanding when he spoke.

“I understand you want to protect your son Chloe…that’s admirable…but I don’t want you…I’ve waited close to nine months for this…every project I have been working on has lead to this moment. I need your son to finish Project Ares…I’m sorry…I truly am.”

I felt the room starting to get further away and I shook me head slightly. I glanced to my left and saw the doctor removing a syringe from my IV. Oh god…he drugged me I can’t…I can’t close my eyes who knows what they’d do to me while I was out…I heard Lex’s voice and it was almost soothing.

“Rest Chloe…everything will be over when you wake up.”

I felt myself slipping under…Clark…where are you?

(Clark POV)

I was pacing the length of the room. Where the hell was Oliver? I glanced at the clock it was about a quarter to eight at night. He should be here by now. Just then I saw a flash a red streak through the front door into the kitchen. I smiled. They were here… He stopped in front of me and his face was unusually serious.

“Holla me amigo…”

I gave him a heavy smile.

“Bart…it’s good to see you…where’s everyone else?”

He lifted himself onto the counter and nodded his head towards the door.

“There coming…I can’t believe Luthor has Chloelicious…”

My face-hardened.

“Don’t worry we’re getting her back.”

“Damn right we are…Lex can’t take our Watchtower and get away with it…”

I glanced over at the door to find the owner of the voice. It was Oliver. He walked in and I met him halfway. He put a hand on my shoulder and patted it.

“Thanks for coming Oliver…”

He nodded and there was a bit of a smirk on his face.

“Clark believe it or not I consider Chloe a friend. When my friends are in trouble…you better believe the team is on it. Plus I couldn’t keep any of these guys away…they all wanna help Chloe. That’s one amazing girl you got their Kent…it must run in the Sullivan-Lane gene pool”

I smiled at him and saw A.C. and Victor barrel through the door together. Victor spoke up when he saw me.

“What’s the plan Clark? Do we know where he has her?”

I shook my head no.

“I have a plan but before we get into it I have to tell you something. You see a while ago…well not to long ago Lois kinda found out…you know about my secret so she’s…”

Lois yelling cut me off. I could hear her walking down the stairs

“Clark I think I found something. I was going through Chloe’s stuff and I found…”

She rounded the corner and nearly bumped directly into Oliver. She looked at him and shock and then turned to me then again back to Oliver. Her voice was directed at me even though she wasn’t facing me.

“What is he doing here Clark?”

Well that’s sort of a loaded question Lois…when I didn’t answer her she turned and faced me. She was glaring and I sighed. The last thing I needed was a pissed off Lois…we had enough to deal with…I glanced at Oliver and he looked torn but apparently at the moment Bart didn’t care about secrecy. His voice was a little strained when he spoke.

“Where here to save Chloelicious.”

Lois raised an eyebrow as she glanced around.

“You guys…are gonna go up against Lex?”

They all nodded at that moment I saw Lois notice A.C. Her eyebrows scrunched together.

“A.C. is that you?”

I shook my head.

“Guy’s listen we don’t have time for reunions right now. We need to find out where Lex took Chloe. Oliver do you have any new leads on 33.1 facilities?”

He shook his head and spoke in a low voice.

“No…not for a while. Thing’s seem to have dies down a bit.”

I glanced at Lois.

“You said you found something?”

She nodded. I could hear the intrigue in her voice.

“Yea this…”

She handed me a piece of paper with a bunch of numbers scribbled on it and some letters. She continued talking.

“I found it in you’re room. It looks like coordinates to me…but there is an extra number so I don’t know.”

She shrugged and I glanced at the paper. I don’t remember Chloe ever showing me this…I have no clue what it is. I passed it off to Oliver and after glancing at it for a second he frowned and looked at me.

“I sent that to her months ago. It is…coordinates I mean. The extra number is the level the facility would be on if it existed. It took her a while to crack the code but once she did the message was automatically sent to her. I wanted her to look into see if anything was there because a while back Lex had a lot of things being moved there but we couldn’t find any Meteor infected people linked to it at all…that’s why is sent it to Chloe…”

I opened my mouth to say something when Lois spoke.

“Ok…I’m officially confused. What the hell is going on here? You’re all…working together to what bring down Lex?”

Everyone glanced over at me and I frowned.

“What…its your secret…not mine to tell.”

Oliver frowned and glanced at the clock. He sighed and looked at Lois.

“Lo’…I wish we had more time to explain but for right now just know you were right…I’m the green arrow…these guys here with me are part of the our team. We all have…gifts…and I promise that after we find Chloe…I’ll explain everything but for right now…that will have to do.”

She nodded but didn’t look happy about it. Oliver handed back the paper to me. I spoke directly to him. My voice was serious.

“Could this be it? Do you think this is where he took her?”

Oliver nodded.

“It’s very possible. He’s been keeping it empty for something.”

I nodded and moved so that everyone in the room could see me. When I spoke my voice was harsh.

“Whatever happens tonight guys…Lex is mine…I know you all want to be part of the action but leave Lex to me.”

I saw a few pairs of eyes darken but they all nodded in consent. I threw the paper to the table and started pacing as I spoke.

“Now I’m sure Lex has the place sealed up tighter then Fort Knox so we need to be smart about this. I don’t want to take the chance that we tip him off and he wineds up hurting Chloe because of that. We need a recon man…someone to go in first get the lay of the facility.”

I glanced at Bart.

“I was thinking maybe you could do that. Speed in and around. Let us know if there’s any lead casing so I can plan for that, how many people there, are and where they might be holding Chloe. Think you can handle it Impulse?”

He grinned and hopped off the counter.

“You bet amigo…anything for Chloelicious.”

I nodded.

“Next I figured after Bart gives us the intel we can send in Cyborg and have him do his thing.”

I glanced at Victor.

“I want you to take down the whole damn facility, lights, back up systems, hell even the damn air conditioner. If it’s electronical and in that facility I want to make sure it doesn’t work. You game?”

Victor laughed.

“You tell you like I told Chloe…I haven’t met the computer yet that I couldn’t crack…”

I smiled.

“Good. Now we’re only going to have a small window of time here because as soon as all the power in the facility goes out Lex is gonna know where there…He’ll probably try to move Chloe and everything else and get out…that’s not gonna happen.”

I rubbed my face and looked over at Oliver.
“Green Arrow I need you to take out the guards…Once Bart tells us how many there are I need you to clear the way for me so I can get Chloe.”

I saw Oliver nod his head.

“You got it man.”

I glanced at A.C.

“Aquaman I want you to evacuate everyone in the facility. When everyone except Lex and I are out I want the facility locked down.”

He saluted me.

“It’s done.”

I nodded and glanced back at Bart.

“I need you to come with me Bart…I don’t know…I mean…”

My voice faltered and I spoke the last part of my sentence softly.

“I don’t know what Chloe’s gonna be like when we get there and if something wrong I need you to run her as fast as you can to the nearest hospital while I deal with Lex…does everyone know what there doing?”

They nodded as I heard Lois.

“What about me Clark…You can’t expect me to sit here and do nothing…this is Chloe…she’s my family.”

I smiled and nodded.

“I know and I don’t…Chloe’s not here…so you’re going to take her job for now. You’re gonna guide us. You will be in link the whole time with Oliver and everyone else. Once we get blueprints and Bart tells us where everything is you can enter the data on Oliver’s computer and guide us from there. Your our eyes Lois…if anything goes wrong you’ll be the first to know and you need to keep us informed at all times…Can you handle that?”

She nodded and her face was stern.

“I got it.”

She glanced around the room and moved her hands around.

“Well…what are you waiting for? Link me up and let’s get a move on boys. We have a cousin to find!”

The guys chuckled and I smiled. Lois grinned back. It was the first time I’ve seen her smile since all of this happened. Everything might not be fine…but it would work out…I know it would. Oliver looked at everyone and tilted his head a bit. His voice was energized as he spoke.

“Come on boys you heard the lady. Let’s suit up…Chloe’s counting on us…”

I smiled as I watched them go back to the jet…I wonder if Chloe realized how many people love her…how many people who drop everything for her…Oliver’s right…Chloe is special…she’s amazing and I love her so much…and she was going to be fine…I could feel it…we’re gonna get Chloe back…if it was the last thing I did…




































Chapter 17 Part B


(Lana POV)

I walked into the facility accompanied by two burly men. They led me down a long winding corridor and we ended at a small door. The man on my left knocked and proceeded to open the door. When he stuck his head in the door he addressed Lex quietly.

“Mr. Luthor, sir…your wife is here.”

I could hear Lex from outside the door.

“Well…get out of her way and let her in then…”

I smiled and moved passed both of the security guards. He met me right by the door and guided me further into the room. He placed his hand on the small of my back and helped me sit in one of the six seats lined up in front of what looked like a large two-way mirror. Chloe must be in there…I couldn’t really see what was going on at the moment…I’ll just ask Lex. I moved my body to face him.

“What are they doing?”

He looked at me confused.

“Who?”

I rolled my eyes and pointed at the mirror.

“What are they doing to Chloe?”

He chuckled.

“Oh…Doctor Rhinehouse and another scientist are prepping Chloe for delivery.”

Wow…they were delivering the baby already? I must have gotten here really late. I wanted to be here to support Lex and to see what they were going to be doing to her. I didn’t want Chloe to suffer…not really anyway. I leaned up to get a better look threw the glass. I saw her lying on the table with white cloths covering the bottom half of her body. She looked like she was out cold. I frowned.

“How are they prepping her delivery if she isn’t even awake?”

He smiled.

“C-section.”

I nodded. One of the doctors came into the room and spoke quickly to Lex.

“Mr. Luthor we’re ready…just waiting for your orders sir.”

He waved his hands.

“Well get on with it already then.”

The doctor nodded and went back into the room. Lex sat next to me, took my hand, brought it to his lips and kissed it. His voice was soothing and forceful at the same time.

“After tonight everything will be complete…we’ll take the baby and bring him to a top secret lab. They’ll never find him. His genetics will be able to answer all of our questions about Clark and I’ll be able to use him to finish project Ares…”

I gave him a small smile and nodded. I wasn’t exactly sure how I felt right now. There isn’t anyway I’d back out of this…I mean it was already to late…I just…Chloe wasn’t even going to get a chance to see her baby.

Even though I’m the one that set her up…I couldn’t help feeling bad. I kept thinking what if I was in Chloe’s position…I would do anything I could to get out of it…so I just felt guilty I guess…but it was a feeling I don’t think would ever go away. I glanced back at the window and watched as they started cutting into her.

(Clark POV)

I was standing outside the facility with Oliver, Victor and, A.C. waiting for Bart to get back. Where was he? I know he only went in about a minute ago but he was faster then me… paced back and forth.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Victor shaking his head. His voice was laced with worry.

“Clark man…you gotta relax. You’re so wound up I’m kinda afraid you’re gonna burn a whole in the ground from pacing so much.”

A.C. chuckled and Oliver cracked a smile. I stopped a sighed in frustration.

“I just don’t know why he’s not back yet…I’m sorry guys…I’m worried…”

I hesitated before talking again. I looked at Oliver and my voice was soft.

“Something…something just feels off. I have a bad feeling and I don’t know why.”

I shook my head and I touched the earpiece I was wearing clicking it on.

“Lois you there?”

“I’m here Smallville…what’s up?”

My voice was firm.

“Check the control panels and tell me if you see Bart anywhere. I want to make sure he’s ok.”

I could hear her clicking buttons on the other end. She stopped and I could hear the pride in her voice.

“Got him. He’s zipping around the facility. His heat signature keeps disappearing and reappearing in different areas. Oh wait…hold on…he’s coming out now you should see him in a couple of seconds. I glanced over and saw Bart walking toward us.

“I see him. Thanks Lois.”

“No problem Smallville…and tell the guys to turn on their mikes.”

“Will do.”

When Bart reached us he didn’t look happy. If it was possible his expression turned even more sour when he saw me.

Oliver was the first to speak. His voice was anxious.

“Well…what happened Bart…how’s the place looking on the inside?

He hesitated before speaking.

“You were right stretch…this place is guarded pretty damn tight but I think I found our in. There’s a small corridor that leads to the main facility. There are only three guards and no camera in the corridor. Once we bypass that we’ll have to take a quick right turn. One we are in the main area there are camera’s on every wall. There are four guys patrolling the hallway right after the corridor, and about six in the next section.”

He took a deep breath and spread out a map he must have swiped from inside. He pointed the areas out on the blueprints.

He shook his head and pointed to an area on the map that didn’t exist.

“I think Chloe is being held right here. I know it doesn’t show anything on the blueprints but the security in this one area is off the charts. There’s a door that’s activated by key card entrance only. Then once you’re inside there are about fifteen of the biggest guys I’ve ever seen…and there all standing around this one small door in the corner…that’s where I think Chloe is…”

I nodded and gave Bart as much of a smile as I could muster.

“That’s great…thanks Impulse…”

I looked over at Victor and nodded.

“Do your thing Cyborg.”

Victor grinned and went to go find the main box where all the power came from. I glanced at Oliver.

“You ready?”

He nodded.

“Synchronize your watches guys…and let’s spilt up. In exactly eight minutes when Lois gives all of us the go ahead we proceed with the plan…got it?”

They all nodded and we headed off in separate directions…except for Bart, he came with me. Hold on Chloe we’re coming…

I heard Lois in my ear calling out that there was only four minutes to go. I was getting anxious…something was wrong…I needed to get to Chloe…now! I heard Victors voice loud and clear over the COM.

“Ok…I’m about to disengage the last of the power lines…are we ready?”

I heard a chorus of yes’s. A second later Lois’s voice came out loud on all COM’s.

“Fifteen minutes and counting down. Go move out. Green Arrow first…go…ok he’s in…now Aquaman…get as many people out in the first four sections of the facility that you can. A.C.’s voice was hard.

“I’m on it…”

I heard Lois wait a few paces and then she spoke to Bart and I.

“Alright Smallville…Oliver took out all the guards in the small corridor and he’s working on the four patrolling the hallways. Get in there…”

We started running into the facility. Bart was right next to me as we sped in. I could hear Lois whisper lightly in my ear.

“Bring her back Clark…”

I nodded to myself and sped up. When we reached the corridor all the guards were knocked out. We kept going. Bart had a slight lead on me as we entered the next section. Oliver was just taking out the last guard as we sped in. he turned to us and I could see the grin on his face.

“Let’s move Clark…Bart you guys get off here…be careful.”

I glanced to my right where Oliver was pointing and nodded to him. Bart was already halfway down the hall.

“You too…be safe.”

And I sped off in the direction that Bart went…he was gonna lead me to Chloe and I was going to take her home…whether Lex liked it or not…

(Lex POV)

Lana and I moved into the room as the procedure came to an end. When doctor Rhinehouse lifted the baby in the air I saw Lana’s eyes tear up. Soon we’d be holding our own baby…and I couldn’t wait…the doctor smiled and Lana and I. His voice spoke with accomplishment.

“He’s as perfect as he would have been conceived the regular way.”

He handed the baby over to his assistant to take vitals, clean him up, and get a blood sample to see if it was a match for what I needed for Project Ares. Dr. Rhinehouse put on a new pair of gloves and moved back over to Chloe.

“I’m going to start closing her up. We had a slight complication during the C-section. She lost a bit too much blood. We’ll have to stitch her up and slowly bring her awake from the anesthesia.”

I nodded and waved him off. I would be nice to study Chloe and find out exactly what powers she possesses but she isn’t my priority.

“Do what you need to do.”

He nodded and got to work. I was about to say something to the scientist when I heard a gasp from behind me. I turned and saw Lana bent over in pain grabbing at her stomach. I moved over quickly and spoke to her with concern in my voice.

“Lana…what is it?”

Her face looked startled and then went back to pain as she glanced at the floor. Her voice was frantic.

“Oh god Lex…I think my water just broke.”

I glanced down and sure enough there was water everywhere. As I looked over at Dr. Rhinehouse to say something all the light in the facility went off and the backup intruder alarms started blaring. Crap! That’s him…I know it is…we had to get the baby and get the hell out of here…there wasn’t any time for anything else…I wasn’t going to let my baby be born in this place…

I pulled Lana to me and jerked my head in Dr. Rhinehouse’s direction.

“It’s him…we need to get out of here right now. Lana’s water broke…we have to get her to the hospital…”

He stopped what he was doing and glanced up.

“I’m not done…Chloe has already started to come out of it…I haven’t finished what I need to do…if I leave her here now like this…she’ll die…”

I didn’t care…my family was my priority…not Chloe.

“Doctor my wife is in labor…I don’t care about anything else at the moment. Take her go out the back way and take the jet to the hospital…I’ll grab the baby and follow behind you.”

I could see Lana shaking her head.

“No…Lex…I need you there with me…”

She groaned and I supported more of her weight on me. What the hell was I gonna do? We had to go.

A security guard called out to us.

“Mr. Luthor section C has just been compromised…that’s only two sections away and they’re moving fast.”

I nodded and sighed.

“Alright…lets go.”

I grabbed the baby and pulled Lana to me as we followed Dr. Rihnhouse toward the rear exit of the facility.

It was going to be close…but we’d make it…and Clark would lose…once and for all…


(Clark POV)

Something is wrong…I can feel it…Chloe’s hurt…bad. I sped up and caught up to Bart. We came to a dead end. He shook his head a cursed.

“Bart what’s wrong? Where’s the door?”

He shook his head.

“We need to go back…come on follow me…”

He sped off and I followed. We got to the door a few seconds later and Oliver was neutralizing the last of the guards so Bart and I went over and helped him. I grabbed one guy and threw him across the room. He was knocked out cold. When everyone was down the three of us looked at each other and I heard Lois in my ear. Her voice sounded funny.

“Guys…the heat signatures…what exactly does it mean when one of them is fading? I mean I can see Aquaman and I see the people he’s leading out…but there’s one that’s just fading…”

I glanced at Bart and he shrugged. The words that Oliver spoke next had me feeling violently ill. His voice was serious.

“It means there dieing. The heat signatures pick up on your body heat…that’s how they track you. When you die the heat slowly leaves your body…which cause you to sort of fade off radar…”

Oliver’s voice was hesitant as he spoke.

“Lois…where is the heat signature that fading? Give me a location.”

“One second.”

I heard her taping away as I started searching the unconscious guys on the ground for the swipe card.

“About thirty feet in front of you…”

All three of us looked at the door and I paled.

“Oh god…it’s Chloe…that’s where she is…it’s Chloe…No…”

I stopped trying to find the card and I ran and slammed into the door. Nothing happened. I did it again…and again until I felt an hand on my shoulder. I turned and Bart held up a key. He slid it in and I ran in followed by Bart and Oliver. We ran into a few guards who I slammed into one another before walking over there unconscious bodies.

We got to the door and it was locked. I roared with frustration.

“DAMMIT!”

I started pounding on it…Oliver and Bart joined in. It was just stuck…my voice was cold as I spoke.

“Get back…now.”

They looked over at me and then moved away from the door. I concentrated and used my heat vision to burn a hole in the door. It was going to take a little bit…but not as long as it would to try and find a key…I was gonna get Chloe out of there…no matter what…

(Chloe POV)
I groaned. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this awful in my life…I moved my arm slightly and it felt like I was trying to move a weight. I slid it across my stomach and when I felt something wet I tried to see what it was. I brought my hand as high as I could and I gasped. Blood…I was…I was bleeding…oh god…it was then that I noticed the empty feeling…he…oh no…he has my…my baby…

I could hear the banging on the door as I started to cry. I heard my name being screamed from the other end…that sounds like…oh god it is…its Clark…

“CHLOE!!! I’m here…where’re trying to get in…give me another minute…Hang on Chlo…please…”

A couple seconds later I heard metal scraping off it’s hinges and then Clark was next to me hold my hand looking over my body with horror on his face.

“Oh god…baby…what’d he do to you?”

There was so much pain in his eyes as he knelt by me. I could feel my chest tightening as I tried to talk to him.

“Clark…”

He nodded.

“I’m here…where gonna get you out of here.”

I shook my head slowly and he frowned.

“Clark…the…baby…Lex…”

He looked down at my stomach and then around the room. I saw his face get red and he stood up.

“Lex has the baby?”

I nodded and took a deep breath. Oh god that hurt…I think the worst part about all of this was I could feel my body…it was shutting down…everything was starting to get further away from me…I lifted my arm slightly and held onto Clark’s sleeve loosely.

“He didn’t…want me…Clark…he wanted…baby…all along…never me.”

He frowned and I saw Oliver and Bart make there way over to us. I tried to smile but I failed. I could see Clark pressing slightly on whatever was bleeding. He was trying in vain to stop it…His voice was tempered.

“What…why?”

I looked him in the eyes.

“Because the baby…it’s yours Clark…Lex he did it…implanted…my DNA and yours…don’t know how…oh god it hurts so bad Clark…”

He went to pick me up but Oliver stopped him. I saw Clark glare in his direction and then Oliver pointed to me. His voice was slightly quavering but also authoritative.

“Clark stop…she isn’t stitched up right…look. It’s not finished. If you lift her up you’ll tear what’s already done and she won’t make it out of this room alive…”

He seemed frustrated as he yelled back.

“If I don’t move her she doesn’t have a chance at all…”

His voice lowered as he leaned in and spoke to Oliver. I could hear the heart break in his voice.

“I can…hear…her heart slowing down Oliver…we don’t have time for this…”

I called out to him and my voice was weak to my own ears. This was my chance…Lex has our son and I needed Clark to save him…it wasn’t about me anymore…it was about that little boy and how he didn’t deserve the life that Lex and Lana were about to bestow upon him…I had to make sure that didn’t happen…even if the cost was my own life…

(Clark POV)

“Clark…”

I heard Chloe’s voice call out to me and I turned to face her. I went over and kneeled by her. I gave her a small smile.

“Yea Chlo?”

She tried to smile back but I could see the pain she was in. There was so much blood…all over the white sheets…all over her…and now all over me. I saw her inhale sharply and my eyes burned.

Her voice was weak and she spoke in a whisper.

“Clark…you need to go after Lex…he has Jonathan…”

I turned my head to the side and tears pooled in my eyes.

“Jonathan?”

She slowly nodded her head.

“It was supposed to…be a surprise…after your dad…he was a…a great…man. You need to hurry. Go find Lex get our…our son back…”

I shook my head furiously. Was she crazy? I wasn’t leaving without her.

“No Chloe…I’m not leaving…I’m not going anywhere without you.”

I saw her frown and her voice was stronger the next time she spoke.

“Clark…I love you…more than anything in the world…but…I can feel my body betraying me…it’s shutting down Clark…I know…you don’t want to hear this…but it’s too late for me…and if you don’t find our son then I will have died in vain.”

My voice boomed in the small room as I shouted.

“YOU’RE NOT DIEING! I WON’T LET YOU…”

I lowered my voice when she flinched. I turned my head when I heard people coming in. It was just Victor and A.C. They stopped and looked around the room. I could see pain on their faces. Victor broke the silence.

“Lois says there’s four heat signatures heading out through back tunnels…”

I shook my head.

“ I don’t care…”

I heard anger in Chloe’s voice.

“You better start caring Kent. That is your son…”

Her voice was raised and she started coughing. When she stopped coughing she continued.

“Lex is going to experiment on our baby Clark…our son. If…if you…don’t get off your ass and save him…. I’ll…I’ll never forgive you…I need him to be ok…I need you to save him…be…be my hero…Clark…”

The room went silent and the only thing I could hear was Chloe’s ragged breathing. It was getting more erratic by the second. She’s already made this choice…she didn’t even include me…her husband in it…she chose our sons life over her own…but I don’t think I can survive without Chloe…on the other hand I couldn’t let our son be taken by Lex…and every second I wait here he gets further and further away…

I clicked my earpiece on and my voice held no emotion when I spoke to Lois.

“Lois…how far are the heat Signatures from us now? Have they left the building?”

I could hear her furiously typing. Her voice came out confused.

“No…they aren’t moving at the moment…there at a stand still…maybe about three hundred feet…”

I nodded and stood up. I moved over Chloe and looked at her. She gave me a strained smile. I touched her cheek. I knew that if I left…she would be gone by the time I got back…I had so many thing’s I wanted to say…a million that I wanted to do…but I didn’t have enough time for any. I leaned down and kissed her.

She grinned. God I love that grin…My voice was chocked up and I was openly crying.

“Chloe…you don’t know…how much you mean to me. How much you’ve always meant. I’m the man I am today…because of you. You’re the one person in my life who has stood by my one hundred and ten percent without ever asking for anything in return. I love everything you are…”

I paused and wiped my eyes.

“You hold my heart…always…you’re my world…I don’t know what I’ll do if you leave me…”

Her voice was gentle when it spoke.

“Clark…there is so much…more in the world for you…then this…you are going to make such a difference in the world…I know one of these day’s you’ll take everyone…by…by storm. You’re a hero…and I love you for that. I’ve loved you since the moment I met you…and I’ve never once…”

She paused to catch her breath.

“I’ve never once regretted it. You’ve given me the greatest gift I could have asked for…your heart…your love…a family…you’re my heart to…and…promise…promise…me you’ll…never…never forget that…never forget how…. how much…. I love…you…”

I nodded as tears rapidly flew from my eyes. Lois’s voice came into my ear again. I could tell she had been crying from what she heard. Her voice sounded devastated. It was loud and clear though.

“Clark…here moving again…three hundred fifteen feet…”

I saw Chloe smile. I could see the sparkle in her eyes…the crease on her forehead…her smooth lips…and I memorized it…every detail. I burned it all into my head…

Her voice was soft again barely there.

“Go…go Clark…”

I hesitated and I saw a slight nod from her.

“Go…NOW…Dammit Clark…”

Her voice was tearing up now.

“Go.”

I nodded and started walking away. I stopped and turned back and I saw Chloe closing her eyes as Oliver held her hand. I saw a single glinting tear in the dimly lit room leaking down her face and landing on her chest. I closed my eyes

“I need you Bart.”

He followed me and I turned and walked away. I sped down the halls with Bart close by. I could feel my heart breaking…I left Chloe to die…and I’d never forgive myself for it…I couldn’t hear her heartbeat anymore…so I cried…I cried for Chloe who I failed to save…I cried for Lois who’d lost someone else she cared about because of me…I cried for myself for the wife I couldn’t protect…and I cried for my son…because he’ll never get to know what an extraordinary person his mother was…

My face-hardened as I saw people in the distance. He wouldn’t get away with this…not this time…there was no way he was walking out of here…I used my heat vision to cave in the tunnel ahead of them. They stopped short when debris fell blocking their path…Lex wanted war…he was going to get it right now…




























Chapter 17 Part C

(Lex POV)

One of my arms was carrying Clark’s newborn son and the other was moving Lana along through the tunnels. We didn’t have much time but we’d make it...I took another step and then all of a sudden the ceiling above us came down…the tunnel caved in right in front of us…out of nowhere.

I turned around and saw someone in the distance. Crap! I knew who that was…and now there was only one way out of here…I needed to get Lana out…now. Right as I was moving her behind me Clark appeared out of thin air…with that Bart Allen next to him. He stood there and something in his face was different.

His eyes bore through mine…and there was no emotion in them…He took a step closer to me and glanced at the bundle in my arms…His voice was like steel when he spoke slowly.

“I want my son Lex…Now.”

I grasped the baby closer to me. If he thought I was going to give up the find of a lifetime because he asked nicely…he was sadly mistaken. I shook my head.

“You’ve been misinformed Clark. This isn’t your son…it’s Chloe’s…now if you don’t mind I need to get my wife to the hospital.”

Lana was panting slightly and I moved slowly with her next to me, but Clark didn’t move. He stood directly in front of me and when I glared up at him he smirked at me. His voice was different…he almost sounded a bit…mad. He chuckled lightly.

“You’re not going anywhere Lex…not if I have anything to say about it.”

I was about to say something when Lana practically fell down next to me. I almost didn’t get my arm around her in time. Doctor Rhinehouse moved next to us and checked her over. His voice was concerned.

“She needs to get to the hospital as soon as possible. Her heart rate is a bit fast. There could be complications.”

She was sitting on the floor breathing in and out with large puffs of air. I glanced from her to Clark and his friend. My face softened and I tried to reason with Clark.

“Please Clark…I need to get Lana to the hospital…she could have complications with the birth…she’s my wife…it’s my job to protect her. This is between us…let’s leave her out of it…”

I saw his face shift and grow red. I glanced down and his hands were balled into fists. He was barely keeping control of his temper…I’ve never seen him like this before…maybe taking his child wasn’t exactly the brightest idea I could have had…but it was done and I couldn’t take it back…even if I could I wouldn’t.

His voice came out with a disbelieving edge to it.

“This is about us…is it?”

I nodded and he shook his head.

“If this was just about us my wife wouldn’t be lying dead four hundred feet away. So tell me Lex…why shouldn’t I let the same fate happen to yours?”

Ah…and it all makes sense now. I could understand why Clark was so mad. Chloe had died…Dr. Rhinehouse said she would…no wonder Clark is so angry…his moral compass is gone and I’m not exactly sure that’s a good thing. I heard Lana make another noise and I faced her. Her voice came out strained.

“Lex…please…I need a hospital…”

I nodded. I glared at Clark with hatred.

“I’m sorry for your loss…but just because your wife has died today doesn’t mean that mine should join her.”

I pulled out my gun and pointed it at Clark.

“Let us pass…or I will shoot you Clark.”

I saw him laugh and shake his head. He took another step closer and I took off the safety. He just kept on smiling. When he spoke there was humor in his voice.

“Go ahead Lex…shoot me. You’ve always wanted to find out what I was made of…well here’s your chance…give it your best shot.”

He was pissing me off…I didn’t have time to mess around with him. Lana was hurt…ok well not technically hurt she was having the baby…but that hurt so it’s kind of the same thing…

“I’m serious Clark.”

His smile left him and his eyes grew cold.

“So am I. You’re not leaving. You have a doctor here he can deliver your anti Christ child.”

I shook my head. I wouldn’t take the chance that what happened in my hallucination would happen here so I shook my head. It was time to make a decision…what was more important to me? This project or Lana and my son…

“What do you want Clark? I’ll give you anything you want if you let Lana walk out of here…”

I glanced at Lana and she was full of sweat. She looked like she was in a lot of pain. Clark was quiet for a few seconds before speaking up. His voice was strong and confident.

“I want Chloe back Lex…can you give me that?”

His voice was sarcastic and he shook his head at me.

“No I don’t suppose you can…can you…”

I sighed and shook my head. His voice came out stern with the next sentence.

“My son Lex…Now…and I’ll let Lana go to the hospital…but not you…you stay here with me…”

I frowned.

“I don’t think—“

He cut me off.

“That’s the first and last time I will offer you that deal. Take it now or leave it and then you’ll be able to see what I’m going to do to both of you…”

I sighed and shook my head.

“Fine. I want you’re word you’ll get Lana to a hospital safe…”

I heard Lana gasp.

“No! I’m not leaving you here Lex…besides we’ve…worked so hard for this…. project.”

Clark’s voice boomed angrily.

“My son is not a project Lana…keep it up and your son is gonna be mine…”

I moved over to him a couple minutes later and held out the baby.

“Here…your son.”

I handed the baby to Clark who immediately handed him to Bart Allen. He spoke quietly in his ear and then Bart was gone…When Clark faced me again I saw anger in his eyes. I saw his eyes stray to Lana. He walked over to her and I went to block his way but he flicked his wrist and I went flying into the wall. Maybe this…all this was a mistake…

(Clark POV)

When Lex went flying I smirked. I made my way over to Lana and she looked up at me. I could see the extreme pain on her face. I bent down so I was eye level with her. My voice was cold when I spoke.

“Are you in a lot of pain?”

She hesitated for a minute before speaking.

“Yes…I need to get to a hospital Clark…please help me…”

My facial expression softened and she smiled slightly. I smiled back. My voice came out low.

“Did you watch?”

She got a confused look on her face. She flinched and then spoke.

“What do you mean?”

I was getting impatient with her.

“Did you watch…what they did to Chloe? Hmm?”

She looked away and I saw her flinch again. I got my answer. I stood up and looked down on her.

“I’m glad you’re in pain…I wish it was more…Lana…”

I shook my head as Lex got up. Bart appeared near him empty handed. I turned back to Lana. I sneered at her. I raised my voice.

“You’re ten times worse then him!”

I pointed towards Lex as I yelled at her. I heard Lex’s voice in the background.

“Leave her alone…Dammit Clark!”

I ignored him.

“Chloe trusted you…She’s been there for you since the day you moved into her house years ago…and after everything she did for you…this is how you repay her? Experimenting on her, tricking her, Letting Lex CUT HER OPEN…STEALING OUR BABY!!!”

I screamed in her face and she started to cry. That only made me angrier.

“Don’t! Don’t you dare cry! You deserve whatever you get…your selfish, you destroyed the people who loved you Lana, you got into bed with a Luthor…you deserve whatever happens to you now…I should take your baby…so you can see how it feels to have it ripped from you…I thought I couldn’t hate you any more than I did before…I was wrong. If I ever…come after my family again Lana…let me make this crystal clear…I’ll come after yours and I wont stop until I’ve hurt every last one of them…. do you hear me? ANSWER ME!!!”

I could see the pain on her face, she was breathing hard and she nodded. Her voice was weak.

“I...hear you.”

I nodded.

“Good.”

I turned to Bart.

“Impulse…get her out of here…take her to the nearest hospital.”

He nodded.

“I’m on it Boy Scout.”

He came over helped Lana up and made his way out with her and the doctor. I glanced over at Lex who was standing there watching them leave. When he faced me his eyes were glassy.

“Thank you.”

I glared at him.

“Don’t thank me Lex…if there wasn’t an innocent child inside of her she would have been down here with you still…I have no sympathy for her…she made her choices…”

I saw him get up and start walking around. I followed him with my eyes.

“What is it you want Clark? Revenge? It won’t bring Chloe back.”

My eyes blazed and I was in front of him grabbing him by his throat in seconds.

“You don’t have the right to say her name…”

I squeezed a little tighter and it was then I felt something stab at me. I glanced down and saw a metal rod that Lex had picked up from the rubble. It was bent. His face was only half shocked.

I lowered my head to his and I spoke to him softly.

“Now you know…you want to take me on Lex…lets go then.”

I threw him across the room. When he finally got up he threw a few punches at me. None really making their mark. I was about to throw him again when I felt the building shake. I let him go and another half of the ceiling collapsed. When the dust settled I saw he was trapped under a pile of rubble. He was struggling to get up and I stood there. I was about to go over there and start hitting him when something stopped me…I could hear something…a voice…I strained to hear. I concentrated all my senses on it.

Clark…come back to me…if you can hear me…come back to me…

My eyes snapped open. I’d know that voice anywhere…that was Chloe…I had to go. I started walking out when I heard Lex call out to me.

“CLARK! Help me…you can’t just leave me here…”

I shook my head and faced him.

“I won’t kill you Lex…that’s not the person I am…even after everything you put me and Chloe through I still won’t do it…but I don’t have to save you either…”

I shook my head.

“We could have been friends…you could have traveled a different path…but you didn’t…and I’m tired of saving you Lex…You killed my wife…even if it wasn’t by your own hand…I won’t ever forget that…but if I kill you I won’t be the man Chloe fell in love with anymore…and I won’t let that happen.”

As I walked away I called over my shoulder.

“Have a nice life Lex…hopefully you can get yourself out of the mess you created.”

And I left.


(Lois POV)

Oliver called about ten minutes ago and said they’d be home in fifteen minutes. I was pacing nervously across the room. I heard a what sounded like a Jet on the fields out back. I rubbed my hands together. This was it…the moment of truth…I heard what happened with Chloe…but…I couldn’t bring myself to believe it…not yet anyway.

I heard the kitchen door open and I ran forward. Clark came walking in with a blue bundle in his hands. I stopped and tears came to my eyes. My voice was soft.

“Is that Jonathan?”

I saw a smile on his face and he nodded. I came over and he handed him to me. He was absolutely gorgeous…he had Chloe’s eyes. I felt the tears come and I tried to swipe them away with one hand. I looked up and saw the guys all-pouring into the house. They all had a mixture of expressions on there face. I could feel the sadness in the room…but also the calmness...the peace. Everything would be different for us now…I could see the loss in Clark’s eyes the pain. The news was on this morning…it said Lex Luthor was still not found…the facility had crashed in on it’s self not long after Oliver’s jet took off. I don’t know how Lana was doing and to be honest I really don’t care…She was…. oh my god.

(Clark POV)

I was watching Lois carefully and I saw her stop moving Jonathan around. She was glancing in my direction but past me. Her face paled and she looked like she was going to faint. I moved closer to her just as Oliver did. I took the baby and Oliver caught her when she fell. Oh god…what the hell is going on…? I can’t lose someone else…she’s all I have left of Chloe… I placed Jonathan in a small rocker while I helped the guys tend to Lois. While we were all around her I heard a voice that I’d never thought I’d hear again.

“Lois always was an attention hog…”

I stood up but didn’t turn around. No…it was impossible…she was…I mean…oh god…I know that voice its one of a kind…but Chloe…she died…or at least I thought she did…

I heard a huff. I could here the amusement in her voice when she spoke next.

“Jeez what’s a girl gotta do to get a hug around here?”

I turned around and I saw her standing in the doorway. The sun hit her blonde hair and made it glisten in the light. Her eyes held mirth and she leaned against the doorframe carelessly. There was dry blood caked to her clothes but I’ve never seen her look more beautiful. Oh god…it is her…I was in front of her in seconds holding her.

I heard her chuckle and it lit up my heart. I leaned in and kissed her. Everyone was standing there in shock. I pulled back and looked into her eyes. There was wonder on my face as I spoke.

“How?”

I saw her eyes cloud over with confusion as she stood there. After a minute or so she shrugged and spoke.

“Does it matter?”

I shook my head. No…it didn’t matter. All that mattered was that I had my family right in front of me…all the people I cared about were ok…and Chloe was alive. I glanced around the room and saw Oliver helping Lois up. Bart came over, pushed me out of the way and hugged Chloe. Victor was next then A.C. finally Lois ran over.

I’ve never seen someone look that happy…well except for me right now of course. Nothing was ok…and it wouldn’t be for a long time…We’ve all been through too much to just go back…there were so many holes in all of us…but that’s ok…because we’d rebuild…and even though everything won’t be the same…it’s possible that just maybe…it could be better…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)