December 28, 2008

Trial and Error Chapter (4/11)


Chapter 4

Chapter 3
Two Weeks Later
Metropolis
(Clark POV)




I was running late. I was supposed to meet Lois twenty minutes ago at The Planet. She’s been filling in until they find someone to take over Chloe’s position. She’s also been staying at the farm with me for the past two weeks. We’ve kinda been keeping each other company.

I called her earlier and asked if she was free for lunch because I had something important to tell her. The thing is…when I tell her what I have to tell her…she’s gonna think I’m nuts.

These past two weeks I’ve had the strangest feeling that…Chloe…well…that she isn’t dead. I don’t care what the police say…or how many statistics they quote me. I can just feel it…plus they still haven’t found a body yet. The funerals for Chloe and Lana were held about two weeks ago.

Lana’s was on a Monday and Chloe’s was that same week on Wednesday. Lana’s funeral was the last time I saw Lex. He hasn’t been out much lately and that worried me. What’s even weirder is what happened yesterday.

I was coming back from seeing Lionel at the Luthor Corp building in Metropolis and as I was walking by Lex’s office I caught the tail end of his phone conversation. I could have sworn I heard him mention Chloe’s name so I stayed and listened a little longer.

But I must have been hearing things because all I heard him mention after that was about a new project he was working on and how it was going to change the face of modern medicine forever…whatever the hell that meant.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts as I walked into The Planet. It was weird being here without Chloe. The only time I ever came here was to see her. I walked down the steps and into the basement offices. I could see Lois at Chloe’s desk rifling through papers.

I smiled slightly. In the past two weeks Lois and I have gotten a lot closer. Loosing Chloe has been hard on both of us…I miss her everyday…I never realized how much I counted on her being there before…or how often I came to her for things…until she wasn’t there anymore.

Lois glanced up in my direction and when she saw me she smiled and gave a slight wave. I reached the desk and sat in one of the chairs.

“So Smallville…to what do I owe the un-pleasure of your company?”

I gave her a slight glare.

“Lunch…remember…”

She frowned and nodded.

“Right. Sorry I forgot. For the past two weeks I’ve been trying to get everything in order here but I haven’t really been able to figure out Chloe’s system of…well things yet…”

Her sentence kinda trailed off when she mentioned Chloe. It was hard for her to talk about Chloe…ok I’m not gonna lie…it was hard for me too…but not so much lately…because I’m almost one hundred percent convinced that Chloe isn’t dead. I cleared my throat and gave Lois a small grin.

“Come on Lo’ how about that lunch?”

She glanced at me with slightly watery eyes and smiled as she nodded her head.

“Sounds like a plan Smallville. I could use a break. Can we go to the Talon?”

“The Talon is in Smallville Lois.”

She nodded as she grabbed her purse.

“Yeah I know. I thought you could get us there the quick way. I could use one of there latte’s.”

I stood up and followed her to the back of The Planet where no one was looking. Lois turned and faced me with a raised eyebrow waiting for me to do something. I started to move my hands out but then I hesitated and pulled them back. The last time I remember super speeding around with a girl in my arms it was Chloe.

I felt like somehow by taking Lois I’d be betraying Chloe and that didn’t sit well with me. Lois looked like her patients was wearing thin. I could hear her foot tapping against the floor.

“Well Smallville? Any day now…”

I looked down then glanced up at her.

“I just…I mean…the last person I super sped around…it was Chloe. I know it’s not a big deal but I just feel like…can we please go somewhere here. It would make me more comfortable.”

Her face softened and she rubbed my arm slightly.

“Sure. Come on I know a good coffee shop around the corner from here.”

I smiled and we left The Planet. You know in the past two weeks I’ve come to realize that Lois isn’t as bad as I thought she was…

(Lois POV)

Clark led us to one of the tables in the back of the small shop. We sat down and I picked up the menu to see what I wanted. When Clark didn’t follow suit I glanced at him and he was fidgeting nervously. Something was wrong…I should have known. I put down the menu and spoke in a low voice.

“What’s going on Clark? Is it about that Bizzaro dude? Did you finally figure out who sent him back to that place?”

He shook his head.

“No…this is about something else. Listen…I have something to tell you…and you’re going to think I’m crazy but I swear I’m not…ok?”

Uht oh…here we go…I motioned for him to continue and he took a deep breath.

“I think Chloe’s still alive.”

Ok…I that I wasn’t expecting to hear. The confusion on my face melted away and was replaced by sadness. Clark has been having a hard time accepting Chloe is gone…I have been too but I’m trying to move on…I don’t think he is.

Granted he lost a lot more than just Chloe recently so he’s probably going through more than I can understand…but even so…it’s been two weeks…why now did he all of a sudden think Chloe was alive…and more importantly…did he have proof?

“Clark…what brought this on?”

He frowned.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean why now? Why do you think Chloe is still alive now? What makes today different from yesterday?”

He shrugged and shook his head.

“Lois this whole thing has been off from the minute they pronounced Chloe dead. Look at the facts you’re a reporter. Chloe was with you in the tunnels…you were stabbed…but when you woke up you were fine and Chloe was by you right? Hurt?”

I nodded.

“Yes.”

“Ok. Then you tried to wake her up and when that didn’t work you went to find help. There was an explosion and the two of you got separated. Now police officers where already there when I got back and started to look for you.”

“Ok I’m with you so far Smallville…”

He leaned on the table and moved closer as the excitement in his voice went up a notch.

“That means the police had already found Chloe’s body by the time I got back to the dam. They actually saw her body meaning between the time they saw her and the time I scoured the building for her…something or someone must have taken her. Don’t give me that look…that’s the only explanation Lois. A body doesn’t just disappear.”

I sighed.

“Ok…say you’re right and someone did take the body…it still doesn’t change the fact that those officers saw Chloe…they checked her out and she was…she was dead Clark. So even if some weirdo took her…it doesn’t mean she’s alive…”

I watched him shake his head as he sat back in his seat.

“Your wrong Lo’ I don’t know what those policemen saw…but she wasn’t dead…I know she wasn’t. She can’t be…I’d know if she was…”

“Clark…”

He cut me off.

“I went to visit Lionel yesterday…see how he was doing. On my way out I passed Lex’s office and Lois…I swear I heard him say Chloe’s name…”

My face scrunched up and I looked at him with distaste on my face.

“What did he say about her?”

“That’s just it. When I heard Chloe’s name I stopped. But then all I heard him talking about was some project he was working that was going to change modern medicine or something weird like that. No Chloe…”

I shrugged.

“Then maybe you were hearing things Clark…isn’t that possible?”

He leaned back on the table again and frowned.

“I guess…but I don’t think I was.”

He was quiet for a few minutes and his lips were pursed together. I could tell he wanted to say something but wasn’t sure if he should. The waitress came over and gave us water I ordered a burger and Clark got the same. When she left I leaned back and took a sip of water before speaking.

“Well out with it.”

He raised an eyebrow.

“Out with what?”

“Whatever it is you wanna say but aren’t sure if you should.”

He gave me a slight smile even though his eyes were still worried.

“It’s kind of scary how well you know me Lois…”

I motioned for him to tell me and right as he opened his mouth the waitress came back with our food. I gave her a smile and Clark thanked her. I started eating some fries as I looked over at Clark. I gave him a “well” look.

“Did Chloe ever tell you anything about how the people in Smallville got there Meteor powers?”

I shook my head.
“Not really. She just said that the Meteors effected them and they wound up with powers. I don’t understand what that has to do with Chloe.”

He hesitated but continued.

“This isn’t my secret to tell but since Chloe isn’t here…well…Lois…Chloe was infected by the Meteor rocks. She’s a Meteor Mutant.”

My mouth dropped open. What? No…that was impossible…if the Meteor Rocks affected Chloe I would have known…she’s my cousin…why didn’t she tell me? I shook my head…

“No…no Chloe would have told me.”

“She was Lois…we found out a while ago…but she doesn’t have any powers…they just never showed up…I guess we assumed they wouldn’t…but I told her if they ever did…I’d be there…her personal bomb squad.”

He moved forward forgetting about his uneaten burger with worry and pain etched on his face.

“What if somehow…someone new…what if they new she was infected by the Meteors…and they took her to…I don’t know…study or research…. what if we didn’t even consider it Lois…there’s always a slight possibility that anything can happen. We should look into this…just incase…and if anything…to get closure.”

I looked at him…really looked at him and I could tell how much this meant to him. I sighed.

“Ok Smallville. We’ll look into it. But we work together every step of the way…partners. No running off to do your super stuff without me got it?”

He smiled and this time I could see it reach his eyes. He stuck out his hand in my direction.

“Got it…partners….”

I shook his hand and smirked.

“Partners…”

I raised an eyebrow and spoke with amusement in my voice.

“Villains beware Lois and Clark are on the case…”


(Chloe POV)

I paced the length of the small white box shaped room. I ran my hands up and down my arms I was freezing. Lex transferred me here two days ago. I don’t know where I am and I was getting more and more worried by the day. Every three days Lex had me moved to a new facility. Two big guys would come in…drug me and by the time I’d wake up I’m somewhere new.

He says it’s just precautionary…he’s not worried about anyone finding me because everyone thinks I’m dead. He also told me that Lana died in a car explosion the same day I died. Does that sound weird? Well it sure does to me. I died…I stopped breathing…I ceased to exist…

And yet I’m pacing around this room…alive and kicking…so apparently death didn’t take. His scientists have been poking and prodding me for weeks and I was sick of it. I was gonna get out of here…and I was going to do it tomorrow night when they came to get me.

I stopped pacing and went over to the small bed. I lied down and pulled the covers over me. I had to look on the bright side…at least I wasn’t naked anymore. I had a few of my things here with me…clothes…journals…a stuffed bear from home…shoes…

Though why is beyond me since they don’t let me out of this place unless it’s to go to a lab…I missed mine and Lois’s apartment…I missed Lois…Smallville…Clark…when I first woke up and everything was…nuts and I was missing time, naked and Lex was there…my first thought was to scream for Clark.

But I couldn’t do that…I wouldn’t. The last thing Clark needs to be doing is busting into 33.1 with all his powers on full display. Lex would know his secret and I can’t let that happen. I promised him I would die before I let anyone find out…and that’s the truth.

So I came up with a plan…I’ve been very careful to watch exactly what they do when they come to get me to leave for another facility…and I’m confident that I’ll be able to get away from them before they inject me and it knocks me out.

Hopefully if everything goes the way I planned it I’ll be out of here tomorrow night…if not…. then I’d have to find a way to get in touch with Clark…. let him know I’m ok so he can tell Lois and figure out how to get me out of here…Lex has taken too much from me already…I won’t let him win this too…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)