December 28, 2008

Trial and Error Chapter (11/11) (Happy)


Chapter 9 EndingB
Three Weeks Later
(Clark POV)




A slight banging noise woke me up, and I rolled onto my back and glanced at the ceiling. I rested my hands on my chest and sighed. It’s been exactly three weeks today since we found Chloe and brought her home from the Ridge facility. I smiled. Chloe was really ok…and I couldn’t be happier. These past three weeks have been nuts.

It’s mostly been everyone trying to get back in the swing of things. We also had to convince people Chloe wasn’t really dead…which in itself was a little weird. The Daily Planet happily took her back though and Lois got a permanent position...that part was a little weird but Lois was happy about it and Chloe took it all in stride.

She was just happy to be back. I still haven’t had a chance to tell her how I feel…and it’s kinda been making me act a little awkward around her…I’m pretty sure she’s starting to notice. So I don’t care what’s happening today…Oliver inventing a new arrow, Bart running ramped around the country side, or the world torpedoing into outer space…I’m gonna tell Chloe I love her…and nothings getting in my way.

Chloe, Lois, and Kara have all been staying here…I’m out numbered by the opposite sex…and every once in a while it grated on my nerves, but for the most part I liked not being alone. Plus I wasn’t letting Chloe out of my site for a long long time. She was the only one who didn’t have a choice about moving in…I made her…she put up a fight for a few minutes but then caved…

I heard another bang coming from the kitchen and my brows furrowed. What the hell are they doing down there? I swear sometimes…I shook my head and lifted my body up and moved my legs over the edge of the bed. I sat there for a few minutes looking around my room. I grinned. I still couldn’t believe we did it…we saved Chloe and I don’t think I’ve ever been this happy about anything in my life.

I still get nervous every once in a while when Chloe doesn’t answer her phone or I can’t find her…but I figure it takes time…I mean I thought she was dead…then the whole thing with Lex…I just get scared that I might lose her…but every time I hover she makes sure to put me back in my place.

I never realized how much Chloe meant to me before all this happened, but you better believe I knew now…and I wasn’t gonna waste anymore time. As I stood up I felt a sort of thump thump throbbing start in my heart. I can save the world but I’m scared to tell Chloe I love her…you like how that works right? I walked to the closet to grab some clothes.

I could still hear things being moved around downstairs so I got dressed at super speed so I could see what was going on. I opened the door and made my way down the stairs. When I turned and went into the kitchen I stopped dead in my tracks at the picture I saw in the kitchen. I raised an eyebrow and spoke cautiously.

“Umm…what are you three doing?”

Three heads whipped around faster then normal and matching grins beamed in my direction.

“Clarkie…you’re awake…finally…I thought farm boys were supposed to be up at the crack of dawn?”

I watched Chloe twist a towel and snap it lightly at Lois. She spoke in a playful manner.

“That’s my nickname for him lane…”

Lois jumped slightly in the air with a grin on her face as I smirked and Kara chuckled.

“Noted.”

I glanced around and noticed the three of them had odd looking aprons on…oh god…there cooking…I should run while I have the chance. I hadn’t even started backing away when Kara spoke.

“Nope…don’t give us that look. You are staying right there for breakfast Clark Kent…you have no choice. We were gonna surprise you and bring it up it was Chloe’s idea but Lois said you didn’t deserve that kinda service so...”

She motioned around the kitchen.

“Don’t worry…I cook great!”

She smiled and followed Lois getting ingredients out. I doubt that especially if she learned from Lois…because Lois can’t cook to save her life. I sat on a stool and watched them flitter around the kitchen. My mouth turned up in a small smile. Kara fit in good here. It was nice to not be the only one from Krypton anymore. It took a little bit but we finally got her accustomed to earth and she absolutely loved it.

She was wild and enjoyed going out and partying, having all this fun…basically the exact opposite of me. It was like having a younger sister around…and I kinda liked it. I glanced up and saw Chloe watching me. When my eyes met hers she smiled and sat down next to me.

“Morning.”

I smiled.

“Morning Chlo...”

I nodded in the direction of Lois and Kara.

“What’s all that about?”

She shrugged and looked down at the counter as she spoke.

“I just wanted to do something nice for you. You’ve been so great lately Clark…I really appreciate everything you’ve done…I dunno where I’d be without you Clark…”

I placed my hand on her arm and she tilted her head up to face me. I spoke softly.

“Chloe…it wasn’t just me…it was everyone…we all lo…you mean so much to all of us.”

I watched her give me an odd look and then shake her head and smile.

“I know Clark…and Thanks…”

She slapped me lightly and got up to help Lois and Kara. I watched them fool around, and couldn’t help the warm feeling that bubbled inside of me. Kara absolutely loved Chloe…the second day they knew each other they started ganging up on me…it was crazy…but a part of me kinda liked it. Kara was the only family I had at the moment and she more than approved of Chloe.

Sometimes I think she likes Chloe better then she likes me. I shook my head at the thought.

My thoughts turned to Lex as I continued watching them... I haven’t seen or heard from him since that night…not that I really expected to but still….he’s stayed away from Chloe and that’s all that mattered. I felt my body shiver involuntarily. I came so close that night…so close to crossing the line between good and evil…hell I did step over it…but at least I came back before it was too late.


I felt a hand brush against my arm and I looked up and focused on the person in front of me. I saw Chloe and her face was determined. Her eyes gazed into mine as she spoke.

“Stop. Stop going there…I can see it in your body Clark…stop going back to that night…if you don’t leave it in the past it will haunt you forever…we need to move past this…I’m fine…you guys saved me…you’re fine…and we’re gonna get through this…ok? This is supposed to be a happy breakfast.”

I nodded. She was right. I needed to stop.

“So…what’s for breakfast?”

Chloe laughed and moved away from me. Kara turned slightly and spoke.

“Pancakes.”

I mumbled to myself.

“Good…I don’t think anyone can mess those up.”

Before I knew what was happening a spoon was flying at my head. It bounced off and hit the floor. I looked up and Kara was glaring at me.

“I heard that!”

I smiled and gave her an innocent look.

“Heard what?”

“Mmmm hmmm.”

I enjoyed the easy relationship I shared with Kara…it was light and different. Lois and I had an understanding…we still got on each others nerves everyday like before…but if I need someone or if she does…we’re there for each other no ifs ands or buts. Chloe and I…

Things have been different since she’s been back. We’re both still friends obviously but it’s more than that kinda…I dunno…it’s hard to explain…But I know this…we’re all a family and I go through everyday making sure they are safe…because I refuse to lose anyone of them.

(Chloe POV)

I watched Clark zone off again and sighed as I turned to start helping Kara make pancakes. Clark is still worrying…he hovers all the time and honestly I don’t blame him and I know he’s trying to help but…he just needs to stop…he needs to move on from what happened. I am trying to move past everything that’s happened, to focus on life and revenge in my own way.

Just because we can’t kill Lex, not that I don’t want to, doesn’t mean I can’t make him pay. Kara and Lois have been helping me dig up information on Lex…you’d be surprised how many dirty little secrets are in his closet. He hasn’t cleaned up nearly as much as he thinks he has, and I was going to exploit him for the monster he was.

As soon as I got the hard proof I’m looking for Lex will be spending the rest of his natural born life in a prison cell…and I won’t rest until I see that happen. Speaking of the devil he hasn’t made a peep since what happened either and that worries me. He knows about Clark’s powers now…

It’s only a matter of time before he comes after him, but if he thinks he’s gonna hurt Clark…well he has another thing coming. He’d have to go through Oliver and the JL, Kara, even Lois…but most of all me.

I love Clark, he is beyond important to me…and lately I’ve kinda felt like he’s been looking at me in a different way. Like maybe…he feels that way about me too, but every time he tries to talk to me…something always interrupts him…well not today…I was determined to have and finish a conversation with him.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. That was probably Oliver…Lois invited him over for breakfast. I watched him walk in a couple seconds after he knocked. He moved his head over to Lois and I saw him smile big. I watched Lo go over and plant a huge kiss on him. I turned away slightly so I wasn’t intruding.

I heard them talking in low voices.

“Good morning.”

His voice sounded amused when he spoke to her

“It certainly is.”

He glanced over at Clark and me.

“Hey Clark, Chloe…

Clark got up, smiled and patted Oliver on the back.

“Hey Oliver. How are things?”

“Good. You?”

He nodded and shrugged.

“Can’t complain.”

I took the silence as my turn to speak.

“Hey Oliver…how is everyone settling into metropolis?”

He nodded.

“Good. I was wondering if maybe later in the week you’d stop by headquarters…I have a proposition for you.”

I grinned.

“Sure. I love propositions...”

I gave him a playful wink and he chuckled. Lois gave me a mock angry look and spoke in a stern voice.

“Keep your paws off cuz…this super hero’s mine…get your own…”

Oliver interjected as he rubbed Lois’s back.

“She already does…she has her very own superman…”

He nodded his head back toward Clark and the room went silent. I could see Clarks cheeks redden a bit as he ducked his head and played with the glass of orange juice I placed in front of him.

Oliver grinned and moved further into the kitchen where Lois and Kara started talking to him a mile a minute about something or other…I shook my head…Clark was so shy…what was I gonna do with that boy? Well this seemed like the perfect time to have a little talk to Clark…whether he liked it or not…

(Clark POV)

I was gonna kill Oliver…that was the only solution. He’s always trying to embarrass me. I can’t believe he said that. Chloe’s hand on my arm knocked my thoughts away from me. I glanced up and raised an eyebrow at her.

“What’s up?”

She motioned to Oliver, Lois, and Kara in the kitchen.

“Since everyone is occupied I was wondering if we could talk?”

I swallowed hard. Oh boy…this was it…this was my chance…breathe Clark…I nodded.

“Yeah…come on…let’s go to the loft.”

She nodded, I got up, and she followed me out of the kitchen door. The air was brisk outside as we walked along the lawn to the barn. My fingers clenched into fists as I tried to let off some of the nervous energy building inside me. We made it into the barn and I let her head up the stairs first.

We got into the loft and she was facing the window glancing out as the sun beat down on her. She looked gorgeous…her blonde hair glistened in the sunlight and from her profile I could see the curves of her body through the dress she wore.

I cleared my throat.

“So…you wanted to talk?”

I heard the amusement in her voice as she spoke, but she didn’t turn around.

“Well…you’ve been trying to tell me something for weeks now Clark…and we haven’t really had any time alone…to…talk…so I thought I’d make some time.”

She turned then with a smile on her face and leaned against the window frame. My mouth suddenly grew dry and I was having trouble putting my thoughts together. I kept opening and closing my mouth. Finally I
slammed it shut and put my hands in my pocket.

I shuffled my feet and looked Chloe in the eye as I started to speak in a hesitant voice.

“Your right…I have been trying to tell you something…I think…no. Ok.”

I saw her trying to hide her smile as I struggled to get out what I wanted to say.

“Chloe…when I thought…when I thought you died…I was so lost…I didn’t know what to do with myself. You don’t realize what a huge part of my life you are.”

She tilted her head to the side and the look in her eyes was affectionate. I moved closer to her and took her hands in mine.

“I thought I lost you…I thought I lost you and I’d never have the chance to tell you how much you mean to me…how much I love your smile…the way you smell…”

I looked down and gathered all my courage before looking at her again. There was surprise, warmth, and moisture in her eyes when mine met them. I squeezed her hand lightly.

“I’m sorry I never realized it Chlo…I’m sorry I’m only just realizing it…I missed out on so much…so much time we could have had together…I never knew you were the center of my world Chlo…I just…I just never knew…but I’m here now…and I don’t…I don’t wanna miss out on anything else…I need you in my life…I…want you…”

I paused as I watched more tears gather in her eyes.

“I…love you more than I ever thought possible…and…”

Before I could say anything else she leaned up and kissed me. I was so startled that I didn’t kiss her back at first, but I was responding seconds later wrapping my arms around her as she opened her mouth to let my tongue explore inside hers. We kissed for a few minutes before she pulled away with a grin firmly planted on her lips.

I was grinning too, like an idiot I’m sure. She had her hands gripping my arms and I was still holding her in my arms. Her voice was light but I could hear the underlining emotion in her voice.

“I love you too…just so you know...”

I felt warmth take over my body…thank god…I’m glad she didn’t move on from me…I don’t know what I would have done…One of my hands moved to the front of her shirt and played with the hem of her shirt…

“Good to know…so…what happens now?”

She shrugged and moved closer to me.

“We date?”

I nodded and leaned down to place a soft kiss on her neck. I felt her head move to the side to give me better access. My voice was mumbled against her neck when I spoke.

“Sounds good to me…Let’s start now.”

I pulled her closer to me and moved my head from her neck and brought it down on her lips. I kissed her with passion and she gave it right back. I groaned when she bit my lip. I moved back pulling her with me and landed on the couch. I yanked her on top of me as I continued kissing her.

In between kissing I spoke in a low voice.

“Don’t ever leave me Chlo…I don’t think I could survive it.”

She moaned as I brushed my hand over the side of her breast and spoke in a breathy voice.

“I won’t…not if I can help it….god I love you Clark….I always have…”

I nodded and continued kissing her. This was it…I felt it inside of me…Chloe was it for me and I can’t believe I didn’t realize it sooner. She’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me…all these years I’ve felt like an outsider…I felt different…alone…but not anymore…if I would have known that Chloe would have made me feel this way…

I would have done this sooner…better late then never I guess…but now that I have Chloe…I’m never letting her go…

(Kara POV)

I watched Clark and Chloe from the porch by the kitchen door and smiled. They were so in love…after everything went down a few weeks ago I knew it wouldn’t be long before those two got together. Sometimes it takes a tragedy to show us what we have had all along right in front of us. Thank god everything turned out ok…

I don’t even want to know what would have happened had Chloe not made it thankfully we didn’t have to worry about that. I watched them making out and turned away when things started passing the PG level…I so didn’t wanna see that…


Clark has lost a lot…and I’m pretty sure there have been times when he’s almost given up…but Chloe has always been the person to stop him from reaching that point…or so I’ve heard…I mean I honestly think he would have killed Lex had she not shown up when she did… I’ve also witnessed it first hand…I liked Chloe…a lot actually. She’s caring, confident, beautiful, and just really amazing. We’ve become really close since I came here and I’m glad that Clark has her in his life…she makes him laugh and he seems so relaxed with her…I’m glad they’re happy…they deserve this…

They deserve each other…Chloe seems like the type of person who would sacrifice herself for the greater good….and I know Clark is like that…so I’m glad for once they don’t have to sacrifice what means the most…each other…

As I glanced up and watched there shadows for a few seconds through the barn window I smiled…This isn’t the end of Clark’ and Chloe’s journey…it’s just the beginning…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)