May 31, 2009

Rampage Chapter (5/7)

Chapter 5

Chapter 4 Part A
Saturday Late Night
(Clark POV)




It was late and this was about the twentieth street we were hitting and Lois had been complaining all night long. It was a pain. I was already angry because of how things had gone with Chloe and now it was going on my third hour with Lois…I started tugging on her purse again lightly and she started screaming.

“No! No! Please, help! No, no!”

I deepened my voice and sneered at her.

‘Give me your purse!”

She shook her head and pulled harder on the string.

“No! No! Please, help! No, no! Help! No! Help me! Help me!”

All of a sudden she let go of the string and I almost fell back. When I righted myself I glared at her. She glared back just as fiercely and her voice was irritated when she spoke.

“All right Smallville, you know what? We've taken this show on the road all over town, and this obviously isn't working. Maybe Chloe was wrong.”

I was getting frustrated and today’s events were finally starting to catch up with me and I yelled at Lois.

“'Cause you're not screaming loud enough.”

“Smallville, in case you haven’t noticed I don’t play a good victim, with that in mind I have probably freaked out every alley cat within a four-block radius.”

“Look, just do it one more time. If nothing happens we’ll go. One more, come on. Take it, come on Lois. Now!”

She gave me a dirty look but grabbed it.

“Ready…Go.”

She barely tried as she gave a half ass tug.

“No. Help, please. Come on! No. Please, help.”

I tugged her especial hard and she stumbled a bit when I yelled out to her.

“Give it some feeling, some passion!”

She let out a blood curdling scream that made me put a hand up to my ear. I shook my head and watched as someone swooped out of the sky and landed on the ground across from us. I watched her frown slightly as she spoke.

“You. I know you. You’re a friend of that nosey reporter.”

I held up a hand and started to walk toward her slowly. My voice was as calm as I could get it when I spoke.

“Look, I didn't come here for a fight.”

She scoffed at me and spoke with sarcasm.

“Well, I'm not wearing dance shoes.”

I took another step closer to her and she leapt the building. I cursed to myself. I yelled to Lois to call Chloe and when she turned her head down to look in her purse I speed away following the masked girl. I caught up quick enough and when I reached out an arm I grasped onto her and torn her mask off. I was startled at what I saw.

It was the girl from The Planet the other night. The one that I bumped into. I frowned as she spoke with attitude.

“You want a show-and-tell, meathead? Why don't you go first?”

I shrugged and couldn’t think of a reason to lie to this girl so I just told her the truth.

“I don't know. I was born this way.”

She gave me a bitter laugh.

“You're lucky. The worst part is remembering what it was like to be normal.”

I frowned and gave her a confused look.

“Then how did you...”

“Turn into a freak of nature? When I got a heart transplant, six months ago. A girl dies in a meteor shower, and suddenly I get a souped-up second chance. You have no idea what it's like to know that someone's life has been traded for yours. That's why I carry this -- so I'll never forget.”

She took out a piece of Meteor rock and I crouched over a little bit when I felt a pain in my stomach. I groaned and spoke with pain edging my voice.

“I'm kind of allergic.”

She raised an eyebrow but then snapped the thing holding the Meteor rock closed.

“To a rock? Okay, whatever. So, I guess you and Sullivan have all the dirt you need on me now to write your little article.”

I made a face and shook my head.

“I'm not here to expose you. I don’t care about the paper or Chloe’s story. I need your help. You saved my mom three days ago. Some guys were trying to mug her outside the East Side shelter. They took a watch.”

She rolled her eyes at me as she spoke.

“Sorry, but there are people down here who need a lot more help than finding some missing Timex.”

I shook my head as I thought of the pain on my moms face when she told me about the watch. I raised my voice a little when I spoke.

“It belonged to my dad.”

She tilted her head and I could feel her contemplating what I said. A minute later when she spoke her voice was softer.

“You lost him, didn't you? And you can't say goodbye.”

I looked away from her as I spoke.

“What makes you say that?”

She looked away before meeting my eyes again and her voice was emotional.

“Because I've never been able to. My mom and I were coming home from my gymnastics meet. And these two guys mugged us. I didn't even feel the knife go into my heart. But when I looked up... I saw her lying there. And they walked away... laughing.”

I felt for her…I could understand what she was going through…that had to be rough…

“Is that why you do this?”

“She dedicated her life to this group, Akrada. They fought the gangs, the dealers, even the suits who wanted to tear down our homes. She was this... little woman, but she was a badass.”

I frowned and looked down as I spoke my anger building by the second.

“It's not fair. It's not fair to have someone like that just ripped out of your life.”

My fists clenched as she spoke.

“I can help you get the watch back. But that's not what you're really after, is it? You want justice. Just like me.”

Is that what I wanted…Justice? No…I wanted Revenge…for what they did to my mom and for taking my dad’s watch…

“Can you tell me where they are?”

She nodded and spoke clearly.

“They're part of the 13th Street gang. But the guy you want has gone underground. And his gang is all packing 9 mils. But I'm in if you're in.”

I nodded. I was more than in. I was ready to find this guy…and make him pay…

We took off and on the way there she told me a little more about herself. Her name was Andrea and she works at The Planet because there wasn’t anything that happened in Metropolis without going through there first. When we go their Andrea pointed to one of the guys and spoke in a hard tone.

“That's the guy he was with.”

He faced us and must have recognized Andrea because he sneered in our direction and took a step closer while speaking.

“Sorry, this isn't a costume party. Ugh!”

I watched her grab him and shake him a bit. Her voice was mocking when she spoke.

“Looks like somebody got the best of you. We're looking for that friend of yours. You know, the one with the serpentine facial graffiti.”

He scoffed and turned giving us a glare.

“So, why are you talking to me?”

I stepped up and looked down on him. My voice came out menacing.

“'Cause he's gone kinda AWOL, and he's got something of mine.”

She nodded.

“We want it back. Tell us where he is.”

Someone behind him took out a gun and I moved Andrea behind me as I stared angrily at them.

“We’ll be back.”

I started moving away with Andrea who protested. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the guy take out a cell phone and dial. I concentrated on his conversation as I held up my finger for Andrea to be quiet. I could hear him in the distance…

“Snake, it's Ono. That chick showed up with some boy scout. They said to tell you they're looking for you…”

Before he could finish the conversation I sped over grabbed him and threw him against the wall. I slammed him back again and grabbed the phone out of his hand. I gave him a threatening smirk and moved away.

“Thanks.”

I moved back to Andrea and nodded to her. We left walking side by side back into the better part of Metropolis.

(Ono POV)

I watched them walk away with my eyes wide. What the hell was that guy? I shook my head as some of my boys came over to make sure I was ok. I waved them off in anger as I glared at the retreating figures. My voice was like acid when I spoke.

“Follow them. I wanna know who they are and where they’re going…NOW! Get a move on!”

They nodded and two of my men went after them making sure to keep a good enough distance not to get caught. No one makes a fool of me in front of my men…he was gonna pay…I’d make sure of it…

(Clark POV)

We got back onto the main road and I looked at Andrea

“We need to stop and talk to someone. You ok with that?”

She nodded and smirked.

“Lead the way.”

We were heading back to The Daily Planet…I’m sure Lois called Chloe by now and they were there waiting for us…Lois was probably flipping out because I disappeared on her…hopefully she wouldn’t be too mad…even if she was it didn’t matter…

I had to get to Andrea at the time…it was important…and we got the guys phone…that should help…Chloe would know what to do and then Andrea and I could go take care of these guys once and for all….

(Chloe POV)

I sighed as I sat at my desk. Lois was pissed when she came back here. Turned out the plan worked and they found The Angel of Vengeance…and Clark being who he is decided to go after her…effectively stranding Lois in the middle of a dark street not knowing where he went or if he was ok.

When she finally made it back here she yelled for a good fifteen minutes before refusing to stay and help him anymore. So that brings me to why I came back to The Planet…to wait for Clark to show up because I knew at some point he would. I sighed. I might as well do some work while I wait here for him. I got up and went to carry some papers to the copy machine when I saw someone walking into the basement.

I frowned and moved closer and saw that it was Mrs. Kent. What was she doing here…alone after what happened…I touched her arm lightly when she reached me.

“Mrs. Kent, what are you doing here?”

Her voice was worried when she spoke.

“Looking for Clark. Have you seen him?”

I nodded.

“Yeah. A few hours ago. He went out with Lois for a bit now…though…”

I didn’t want to tell her how he had left Lois and was hunting down the watch…she didn’t need to worry anymore than she already was.

She sighed.

I felt bad…this had to be worse for her then any of us. She had to deal with Clark and with losing her husband…and she was trying so hard to be strong for everyone…she really was an amazing woman.

“Hey, you know, I heard what happened. It's good to see that you're okay. Don't worry about Clark. I'm sure he'll pop up again soon, or blur in, or whatever it is he does.”

She nodded but the look on her face was still concerned. And I couldn’t really blame her.

“He hasn’t been acting like himself lately. He's been gone all night. He's not answering his cell phone. It's just not like him.”

I nodded and my look darkened.

“There's a lot that's not been like him lately.”

She gazed at me appraisingly and I tried to smile.

“Is everything ok Chloe?”

I nodded quickly.

“Of course it is Mrs. Kent.”

She frowned.

“He's trying to find those guys, isn't he? Chloe, I know you have a lot of secrets you have to keep, but this isn't one of them.”

Her voice was stern and I felt bad…I couldn’t lie to her.

“He feels really guilty about the watch.”

She spoke softly.

“And me?”

I sighed and spoke truthfully to her.

“Well, honestly, right now he's willing to feel anything except for the pain of saying goodbye.”

“Oh. But that doesn't keep it from being real. The more he refuses to go through this, the worse it's gonna get.”

I nodded. She didn’t know the half of it….and she didn’t need to.

“I know. I'm trying to do everything I can, but I don't think denial is that unusual.”

She looked serious when she spoke.

“But Clark is. He's got to take all those emotions out somewhere.”

I mumbled softly.

“Or on someone.”

She shook her head and the look in her eyes spoke volumes.

“And when he does, I'm afraid of what might happen. We both know what he's capable of.”

“Yeah, I know we do…”

I saw her wring her hands together and her eyes moistened as she spoke.

“It's just that...Jonathan was always there. He always knew what to say.”

I gave her a small smile as I rubbed her arm.

“Mrs. Kent, I don't think that he was the only one.”

She gave me a watery smile and held onto me tight. She leaned in and gave me a hug as she spoke low by my ear.

“When he died... ...I really didn't know if I could keep the secret by myself. It's good to know you're here. Thank you.”

I felt tears prickle at my eyes…

“He’s gonna be just fine…we won’t let anything happen to him…don’t worry…”

Not to long after that I made sure to walk Mrs. Kent back to her car and watched her take off for Smallville. I shook my head. Clark has everyone so worried…and he doesn’t even realize it…I wish he’d just snap out of it. I sighed and when I walked back into The Planet I saw Clark and…was that the Angel of Vengeance standing by my desk?

I frowned.

“Clark?”

They turned around and I stopped in my tracks.

“Andrea?”

She grinned.

“Hey Chloe…”

I finished my trek to my desk and stared between them. Clark held up a cell phone and beamed. I raised an eyebrow and looked at him.

“Yes I can see the cell phone…point?”

He rolled his eyes.

“It’s from one of the guys that was with Snake, the guy who mugged my mom. You think you Can check the last number he dialed?”

I glanced at him for a minute before taking the phone from him and sitting at the computer. I heard Andrea say she was going to change and I saw her slip into the phone booth. I smirked. I was looking at the screen concentrating on finding the information when I heard Clark speak.

“Do you always change in a phone booth?”

I could hear the amusement in her voice.

“The janitor was in the bathroom.”

I watched as she took out contacts and put on her glasses. I frowned.

“I thought the glasses were fake., all part of your inconspicuous get up.”

She laughed and shook her head.

“Are you kidding? I'm blind as a bat. Besides, the mask doesn't look so good with glasses over it.”

I nodded. I bet it didn’t. I listened as Andrea spoke to Clark and I frowned.

“Those were some impressive moves you used to jack that phone. I could use a sidekick more often.”

What moves was she talking about? Hopefully nothing that hurt anyone…I sighed and Clark spoke indigently.

“I'm not a sidekick.”

That made me chuckle for a minute. I typed faster and was in the process of bypassing the log-on page so we could get the calls that have been made. I clicked one last button and called out to them.

“Got it. Unless Snake's real name is Beatrice Krauss, I think he's using a stolen phone.”

Clark glanced over my shoulder.

“Can you pull up the outgoing calls?”

“Already on it…relax.”

He nodded but paces around anxiously. I scrunched up my face and spoke with disgust.

“It looks like he's a proud supporter of fantasy phone.”

I shook my head.

"This is gonna take a little while. I won’t be able to get anything to you until tomorrow…”

I heard Andrea sigh and she spoke quickly.

“Well I have more things I need to do tonight. You guys know how to get in touch with me when you find something…adios.”

She took her bag and left The Planet. I sighed. that left me alone with Clark again for the second time today. I could feel him hovering next to me and I groaned.

“Clark stop it!”

He frowned.

“What?”

I sighed.

“Listen…why don’t you go home. I’ll call you if I find anything.”

I heard him stop pacing and I could feel his eyes on me.

“When are we going to talk about this…you can’t keep shutting me out. it’s not fair Chloe…”

I turned around and faced him. I glared at him.

“You didn’t just say that.”

He made a face and I stood up and poked him in the chest.

“Enough is enough…you know you keep trying to talk to me about things saying we need to work this out….but since you’ve seen me have you apologized? No you haven’t”

I shook my head and moved away from him but he grabbed my arm and spun me around forcefully.

“You didn’t apologize to me either. Dammit Chloe! you promised…you promised you’d never leave me and you walked out on me tonight…after everything we’ve been threw.”

I couldn’t help it I was yelling now. I was furious.

“YEAH AND YOU HIT ME LAST NIGHT! AFTER EVERYTHING WE’VE BEEN THROUGH. I’D SAY WE’RE FAR FROM EVEN…”

I breathed in deep to calm down I shook my head. He looked furious and just shook his head. His jaw clenched and I saw him inhale deeply. When he spoke his voice came out irritated.

“You know that was an accident…”

I nodded.

“You’re right I do. But that doesn’t make it disappear…we can’t pretend it just didn’t happen. It’s something that needs to be talked through Clark…not pushed under a rug.”

He shook his head.

“I’m gonna go. Call me when you find something…”

He started to walk out and I yelled at his back.

“That’s great Clark…run away it’s what you always do when things get complicated. You’re being a coward!”

He stopped, turned and glanced at me. I saw his brow crease and he grunted.

“I don’t answer to you Chloe...or anyone else for that matter. You’ve been ignoring me all day…you want me to deal with my anger…my issues…fine I will and I’ll do it without you.”

He turned on his heel and sped away. I sighed as I sat down. This isn’t how tonight was supposed to go…who am I kidding…when did anything go the way it was supposed to.

(Thugs)

Late Saturday Night Early Sunday Morning

I just got off the phone with Ono. I told him what we saw and that there was another girl involved that the guy who pushed him around cared about. He told us to grab the girl. We stayed in the shadows as watched as she got an address of the computer. She picked up the phone and called someone. After a minute or so I heard her speak.

“Big dumb alien…call me if you find anything Chloe…big shock not answering…he’s blowing me off…whatever…I’m going home.”

We watched her get her things together and she started walking up the stairs. We quietly followed her out and when she got on to the street and was about to turn the corner I pushed into her and knocked her into the ally on the side of The Daily Planet. I heard a soft owwff as my boy pinned her against the wall.

I grinned at her and I could see her glancing back and forth struggling to get free. I smirked and spoke in a cold voice.

“Well well well…what do we have here.”

She kicked my friend in the groin and he keeled over and let her go she started to run but I back handed her across the face and she fell to the ground. I lifted her up by her arms and she grunted. I slapped her again and pushed her against the wall.

“Stop fighting bitch!”

She kept struggling so I slipped my pocket knife out of my back pocket and flipped it open. I glared at her and spoke in a deadly voice.

“I said stop or I swear I’ll slit you’re throat.”

I heard a muffled sob and I titled my head but didn’t move my gave.

“You ok Dave?”

He nodded slightly as he stood up on shaky legs. I smirked at her and grazed her cheek with the knife.

“Oh we’re definitely gonna have some fun with you baby…"

Ono would be happy…we got her and she was a pretty piece of ass…we take her back and when the guy came looking for her…we’d kill her in front of him…that’ll teach his to mess with us…

(Chloe POV)

I felt the cold edge of the knife graze my skin and I heard myself whimper. This couldn’t really be happening…I closed my eyes tight…my jaw was throbbing and I was sure that was blood on the side of my mouth. I could hear them talking to each other and I thought might as well try one more time. I lifted my leg up and kicked the guy in the back of his knee.

I wiggled around as he faulted but his grip held strong. He sliced out with the knife and it caught me in the side ripping a piece of my shirt and leaving a blood stain on it. I swore and tears welled in my eyes.

“You just don’t learn. I can’t wait for you’re little boyfriend to come and try to save you…killing you in front of him is gonna be a treat…”

I felt the tears falling silently from my eyes as the guy in front of me held up his hand and as he was swinging it down I screamed out…I yelled as loud as I could to the one person who was always listening…who knew my voice anywhere…

“CLAAAAARK CLAAAARK PLEASE…I NEEEED YOU!!! CLAAAR…”

I felt the slam against my face and I could feel my body start to sag against the ground as my head spun and everything around me went black…


Same Time in Smallville

(Clark POV)

I slammed things down and threw them across the room. Why couldn’t she just understand that I need her…that even though I’m an ass and she’s mad…I can’t do this without her…I started tossing the hay bales in a pile and I was about to grab another when my cell phone rang. I looked down at it and it was Chloe…I wasn’t ready to talk to her yet…I needed to get myself together, figure out what I was going to say.

She could wait, I’d talk to her tomorrow morning…she wasn’t going anywhere. I pressed ignore on my phone, sped up to the loft and grabbed my headphones. I turned the music on loud trying to drown out the sounds in my head, and everything inside me…

I was listening to the music when I frowned. Is someone calling me? It sounds far away but that sounds like my name…I took off my headphones and listened. I concentrated on all the sounds and listened for my name…nothing…I shrugged. Guess I was just hearing things…wouldn’t be the first time…


Chapter 4 Part B

Present Time

(Clark POV)


I leaned into the fridge, grabbed the milk carton, pulled it out and poured some into my cereal bowl. I was feeling better than I had been last night. I tried to call Chloe this morning to talk to her but she didn’t answer.

I didn’t bother leaving a message because I was planning on stopping by The Planet this morning. I thought about a lot of things last night and realized that while I needed to apologize to Chloe for what I did…so did she because it cut when she walked away from me…

I wanted us to work this out…I couldn’t lose her friendship…it meant too much. I pulled myself onto the counter and started eating my cereal when I heard creaking on the stairs. My mom came around the corner and looked at me. I gave her a smile and continued eating.

She walked over to the counter and started making coffee.

“Morning sweetheart. How are you feeling?”

I nodded.

“Fine. How you holding up mom?”

She looked a little surprised by my question but answered quietly.

“I’m ok.”

We stood in comfortable silence while we went about our morning routine. Fifteen minutes later my mom left for a meeting. I hopped off the counter and put my bowl in the sink. I grabbed my jacket and was about to speed over to The Planet when my cell phone rang. I glanced over at the kitchen counter and sighed.

I moved, lifted it in my hand and flipped it open.

“Hello?”

I heard someone breathing but they hesitated before speaking. I frowned.

“Hello?”

I was about to hang up when I heard a soft voice flow through the phone.

“Clark…it’s Lois…listen…there’s something I need to tell you…”

The line was quiet and I started to get worried.

“Lois is everything ok? Are you ok?”

I paused and I could hear her inhale a shaky breath.

“Clark…Chloe….she…it…”

I heard her sigh and swallow hard.

“Chloe is missing…”

Three little words from Lois was all it took to snap my mind out of the fog it’s been in lately. Three words that made all my fears come true. Chloe is missing…

The blood running through my body turned cold and my heart jumped in my chest. I stopped breathing and stumbled back until my legs hit into the kitchen counter. I glanced at the phone in my hand with my eyes open wide with shock. No…she was wrong…she had to be.

I could hear Lois’s voice calling out to me but something was stopping me from answering her. I heard her saying that the police think it’s the same gang that has been mugging people recently. The same gang that mugged my mom…

I felt lightheaded for the first time in my life…without Kryptonite being around…I lightly touched my chest with my right hand…it hurt. I could feel an acute stabbing sensation throughout my entire body.

No…this couldn’t be happening…not now. I squeezed my eyes shut tightly to try and make reality disappear. Who was I kidding that’s what I’ve been doing ever since my father…died. Ignoring everything and everyone who means anything to me. Pushing them away for there own safety. Forgetting that these people who I love need me just as much as I need them.

When I finally felt my lungs burn from the lack of oxygen I inhaled deeply and blew it out. I shook my head, gripped one hand on the counter and the other grasped the phone forcefully. Lois was saying something on the other end…but I was beyond hearing her words.

This is my fault. She was using her time to do me a favor and I blew her off. I was supposed to meet her at The Daily Planet when she called me last night…she said she’d call if she had a lead on where we could find the thugs who took my mom’s watch, but I couldn’t be bothered. I was mad at her for pushing me and I wasn’t ready to talk to her yet…so I left her to look into it herself.

It was stupid and childish and when she called me I should have answered, but I didn’t…and now…now she’s gone. They took her and I had no clue where she was or how to get her back. I couldn’t ignore Lois’s voice anymore. I needed to hear what happened. I found my voice and when I spoke it came out hoarse.

“Lois…when…when did you find out about this?”

I could hear the anxiety in her voice when she spoke. Lois wasn’t a very emotional person…or maybe she was…but not around me… I could hear her trying to keep herself together…but she was slowly breaking down.

“She…she didn’t make it into work today…and when I went and back tracked where she was going…”

I heard her voice break off into a small sob.

“God Clark…I found her phone and a torn up piece of her shirt…there was…there was blood on it…”

I felt my body tense as my hand balled into a taut fist. I felt my breathing speed up as anger built inside me. How dare they…I don’t care who they think they are if they hurt one hair on Chloe’s head…I’d kill them. I wasn’t there for Chloe when they took her and I’ll never forgive myself for that…but I‘d be there for her now…I will get her back…

I felt power swell within me and anger stirred the heat inside me, making it bubble to the surface. I could feel my eyes glowing and in an attempt to control my heat vision I shut them tightly. I dropped the phone to the floor and the part that wasn’t cracked, shattered on the ground. These guys weren’t going to hurt Chloe…

I’ve needed to get my frustrations out on something…anything. I’ve been so angry at everyone and everything…lately…but now…now I was justified in being mad. They took my best friend and god knows what they’re doing to her…

I sped out the kitchen door in a fury and headed to the Talon to see what information Lois was able to find. I was pissed. But that’s ok…Because they were about to find out what happens when you mess with the people I care about…as if my mom and the watch weren’t enough…they went too far with Chloe…they were gonna pay…by the time I’m finished with them…not one will be left standing…

(Chloe POV)

I groaned and moved my head to the side. I could feel a deep throbbing throughout my whole body…what happened. I glanced around and took in the dark room, dirty floors, and littered garbage all over. This wasn’t the Kent farm…oh god…he didn’t hear me…I glanced down at my clothes and when I tried to shift my body a sharp pain reverberated through my side.

“Owwe…oh god…”

I winced and moved my hand down my side. I felt something sticky and when I lifted my hand it was covered in blood…old and new. I shook my head and thought back to last night. I was attacked by the guys Andrea and Clark had gone after…they must have followed then back to The Planet…I called out to Clark last night…I know I did.

He didn’t come…I closed my eyes and tears fell down my face. It’s ok…he’d find me…I know he would…he always does. It doesn’t matter how angry Clark is…or if he’s pissed at me…I know him and I know he’d never intentionally ignore my call. He’s in a bad place right now but he’s a good person…

God all the fighting lately…none of it matters now…Clark and I were both at fault…and when I get out of here, notice the when…I’d make it right…I tried to pull myself up but I slipped and it only made the tears come harder. I looked around for something…anything that I could use to stop the bleeding.

I saw a few crumpled napkins in a bag in the corner not far from where I was. I stretched my arm out as far as I could but I still couldn’t reach. I grunted and moved my body as much as it allowed giving myself some extra reach. My fingers were almost grasping it when a large dirty boot kicked it to the left and chuckled.

“Well look who finally decided to wake up.”

He leaned down and picked me up roughly. I cringed and cried out. He glanced and my side and cursed.

“Dammit! I didn’t think I cut you that deep…Ono’s not gonna be happy about this.”

He put me down on a chair and walked over to a paper bag that was on the table in the middle of the room. I saw him pulling out cotton balls, gauze, antiseptic, and alcohol. I placed one hand on the seat of the chair and the other was gripping my injured side.

I glared in his direction as I wet my lips and spoke.

“He’s gonna find me you know…and when he does…you better…pray I’m in a better mood and I…stop him from killing you.”

He turned and gave me a hard look as he walked over with all the stuff piled in his hands. He knelt down in front of me and tossed everything to the side. He spoke in a sarcastic tone.

“What the boy scout? Please we’re not worried about him. We want him to come looking for you…because even if he does hurt us…” he paused and made eye contact with me, “you’ll still be dead before he can get to you.”

I felt a shiver go up my spine and for the first time doubt crept into my mind. Clark was angry with me…we were fighting…we didn’t have any plans and since his dad we haven’t really been hanging out on a regular basis…what if he didn’t realize I was gone…how would he find me…I didn’t get a chance to finish running the phone number on the computer.

Oh god….what if they really can’t find me? I felt cold hands touching my side and I jolted in my seat. I looked down and he was trying to move my shirt out of the way. I batted his hands away and he scowled at me. My voice came out indignant when I spoke.

“What do you think you’re doing?”

“What does it look like? I’m trying to patch that damn cut up so you don’t bleed out. Now stop moving around.”

I batted at his hand again and glared.

“Do you even know how to clean out a cut? Give it to me I’ll do it myself. I don’t want your grimy hands touching me.”

I was looking down and he grabbed my face harshly and pushed it up to face him. His eyes held menace and he spoke in a low voice.

“Be careful what you say and who you say it to…or I might risk not waiting for your little boyfriend to come before I kill you.”

I moved my face and picked the stuff up off the floor and threw it at me. I caught some but the rest fell on the floor. He mumbled something under his breath and pulled out a cell phone as he walked to the further end of the room. I could feel my hands shaking as I tried to open the bag of cotton balls. I stopped and took a deep breath. I am trying so hard to not freak out…and so far I think I’m doing pretty well…

But I needed to face the facts…if Clark didn’t find me relatively soon…I wasn’t going to make it out of here…and that scared the hell out of me. I started opening the cotton ball bag again and pulled a few out. I grabbed the antiseptic and poured it on. I twisted my body slightly and winced as tried to lift up my shirt. I saw a shadow fall over me and I looked up it was the other guy from the ally…I think his name was Dave.

He was standing there with a strange look in his eyes that I couldn’t define. He shuffled his feet and spoke in a non-threatening manner.

“Do you need some help with that?”

I glanced at him then at the other guy all the way on the other side of the room, then back at him. I raised an eyebrow.

“Why? So you can hurt me? I think not…sss ow…”

He shook his head and bent down.

“I won’t hurt you. Stop being so stubborn. Can’t you see that each time you try to do that you’re making it worse? Gimmie.”

I watched him sit in front of me and gather everything together. He started getting it all ready and I was surprised…he did it like a pro. I watched him reach his hands up by my side and my body tensed. He hesitated and looked at me.

“I won’t hurt you…I promise…”

I frowned but nodded. He gently lifted up the bottom of the ripped side of my shirt and shook his head.

“It’s pretty bad. I’m gonna see what I can do here but you’re gonna need a doctor.”

My frown deepened. Why the hell did he care? He was the one who helped kidnap me! At that moment my head decided it didn’t want to be attached to my mouth because I spoke in a fierce voice but low enough so the other guy didn’t hear me.

“Why the hell do you care? You and you’re little friend were the ones who took me! Besides I won’t have to worry about a doctor. Your friend is under the impression I’ll be dead as soon as Clark gets here so…yeah.”

The last words came out bitter and David sighed. I hissed while he cleaned out the cut softly and tried to patch it up. It was still bleeding but he put the gauze on pretty well. He was holding it down gently when he spoke again.

“Listen…I’m sorry about that ok…Ono told us we had to go…and I know you don’t like my friend…but we aren’t all alike here…some of us enjoy this life, gangs, hurting people, stealing, and some of us…some of us are here because we have no place else to go. It’s just…not as black and white as you think.”

I looked down on him and for the first time I really saw him. He was young, couldn’t be any older than nineteen at the most. His body was well built and he had a certain grace about his movements.

When he stood I looked into his eyes and I didn’t see malice there…I saw pain…grief…guilt…He’s right…he wasn’t like them…but it didn’t make what he did any better…I glanced down and spoke softly.

“Thank you.”

He nodded and I felt him press something into my hands before he walked away. I opened them and it was a bottle of water. I twisted off the cap in a hurry and started gulping the cold liquid down my dry throat. It felt wonderful…I was still tired and achy…but now…now I might have an in. if I could maybe convince this kid to help me…Maybe I could get out of here in one piece…

(Lois POV)

I was pacing around the Talon apartment. What happened to Clark…I heard a crack and then the phone just went dead…oh god I hope he isn’t doing anything stupid…god I hope Chloe’s ok…. what am I saying…this is Chloe of course she’s ok...

I was giving myself a mental kick in the head when the apartment door burst open and in walked Clark. He saw me and came over as soon as my face landed on him I broke.

I couldn’t help it something inside me just crumbled and tears fell from my eyes. His face, which had originally held furry, and rage softened and turned to pain. I felt his arms come around me and I wrapped mine around his neck. I could feel him mumbling into my shoulder.

“I’m sorry Lois…I’m so sorry…about everything. I’m sorry I left you in the middle of nowhere last night and how I’ve been treating you lately. You don’t deserve it. You’ve only been trying to help and I just keep pushing you away.”

He pulled me away from him and held my arms as he looked into my eyes. His voice was choked up when he spoke.

“But most of all I’m sorry I let Chloe down…that I wasn’t there to protect her…this is all my fault…all my fault…”

I didn’t know what to say…I certainly didn’t expect all that and that startled me out of my crying state. I’ve never seen Smallville this worked up…he really did feel like this was all his fault…ok it’s time to give him a break…he apologized…and I’m over it…

I rubbed his arm slightly as I spoke.

“Smallville listen up…this isn’t your fault…and you and I standing here bawling like a bunch of babies isn’t going to help Chloe. We need to find out where these guys are staying. You have any clue how to hack into databases?”

I watched him shake his head as he cleared up his face and took a deep breath.

“No…you?”

I shook my head and then I gave him a small grin.

“No…but I think I have an idea. It’s going to involve you apologizing profusely thought…think you ca handle that?”

He looked at me deadly serious and spoke in a calm voice.

“I can and would do anything for Chloe…”

I raised an eyebrow but didn’t say anything about the words or tone of his voice. I really didn’t want to think about Clark Kent’s feelings or lack of feelings for my cousin. I handed him a phone and he gave me a confused look.

“You and Lex are on the outs right?”

His look darkened and he nodded.

“Well we need his help…so you’re going to have to call Lana and apologize because if anyone can get him to help us…it’s her.”

I saw him cringe slightly before he took the phone and held it for a few minutes. He shook his head and I frowned.

“I should do this in person Lois…Lana would probably just hang up if I called. I’m gonna go see her and I’ll tell her about Chloe…see if she’ll get Lex to help.”

I nodded and waved him off.

“Well hurry up…we don’t know…”

My voice broke off for a minute before I continued.

“We don’t know what condition she’s in.”

I saw his body falter as he nodded and walked out through the door. I closed the door behind him and leaned against it. Please…let Chloe be ok…. I’d never forgive myself if she wasn’t…. don’t let us be too late…

(Clark POV)

I sped away from the Talon and to Metropolis. Lois was right…I needed to apologize for the way I’ve been treating Lana…it wasn’t right…and I’m ashamed of how I acted. If I had to grovel in order for her to ask Lex I would because if anything happened to Chloe…I don’t know what I’d do. I think…I think I might…love her…I know it seems crazy and sudden, but when Lois told me what happened…a whole bunch of things flashed through my head.

Telling Chloe my secret…all our adventures with Meteor freaks…her always being there for me…accepting me no matter what…making me laugh…always telling me my powers were a gift and pushing me to do better…be better…she was the force that guided me…my best friend…and I love her…the worst part is…I am terrified that I’ll never get to tell her how much she means to me…

I stopped in front of their dorm door and took a soothing breath. I knocked rapidly a few times and I heard shuffling behind the door. I saw the knob turn and the door opened revealing Lana. When she saw it was I her hand started closing the door. I reached my arm out to stop it.

“Lana please…I need to talk to you.”

She sighed and left the door open as she walked away.

“What could you possible want now? Come back to insult me some more?”

I shook my head and shuffled back and forth. I glanced up and spoke in a soft tone.

“No. I’m here…because I was wrong. I’m…I’m really sorry about how I’ve been acting lately…there isn’t any excuse for it…I just hope that eventually you’ll be able to forgive me for everything I said. Some of the things I said…when…when we broke up…they were true.”

She was about to say something but I held up my hand.

“But it could have been handled completely different then the way I handled it…I was cruel and I hurt you. I never want to be like that Lana…and I truly am sorry for what I did.”

She nodded but her jaw was set hard.

“That’s all well and good Clark…but this is just another one of your Clark Kent apologies…and I don’t want it. It doesn’t undo what was said or what happened. I’m done…I don’t want you in my life anymore…”

I could feel myself getting angry. My hands balled into fists and I was about to say something when my mind screamed CHLOE. I stopped and swallowed heavily. I had to control my anger. I spoke in a clipped tone.

“I understand that Lana…and I respect that, but right now I need you to do something for me…please.”

She gave me a humorless chuckle and shook her head.

“You are unbelievable…you want me to do you a favor? After everything you did to me? No.”

I closed my eyes so I could reign in my temper. Breath Clark…yelling at Lana isn’t going to help Chloe…relax. I opened my eyes and spoke.

“Chloe is missing Lana…Lois I need help finding her. I need you to ask Lex if we can come over and have him run a check on something…Lex and I aren’t speaking right now…and he’s not crazy about Chloe…but I know you guys are…friends…he’ll listen to you.”

I saw her face sober and she gasped.

“Chloe’s missing?”

I nodded.

“We think the people who mugged my mom in Metropolis took her. We were investigating it last night and then she never made it into work this morning…Lois found her phone and a bloody piece of her shirt on the ground in the ally by The Planet…please Lana…I know we aren’t ok…but…its Chloe…”

She nodded picked up her cell phone and dialed Lex. I tried to tune her out as they spoke, and when she got off the phone a few minutes later she nodded.

“Lex said to bring the phone number to the mansion. I told him we’d leave now. Come on we’ll take my truck back to Smallville. Is Lois with you?”

“No she’s at the Talon…we’ll have to pick her up.”

Lana nodded and we walked back to her truck.

Almost three hours and forty-five minutes later we were walking into the Luthor mansion. We followed Lana into the study and she moved over to Lex who hugged her and whispered that they’d find Chloe and everything would be fine. I cleared my throat and Lex glanced up.

He let Lana go and I met him in the middle of the room.

“Thank you for agreeing to help us with Chloe I appreciate it Lex.”

He nodded.

“Anything for Lana…now…where’s the number?”

I handed it to Lex and he went over to his desk sat down and made a few phone calls. When he hung up we were all standing there anxiously. It was Lois who spoke first.

“Well…what now Luthor?”

He raised an eyebrow.

“We wait Miss Lane.”

I nodded. We wait…but for how long…maybe if I concentrated I could try and listen for her voice…surely she’d call me again…wouldn’t she? Oh god what if she thinks I ignored her…no Chloe wouldn’t ever think that…she knows I’d never do that to her…to anyone. We’d find Chloe…we have to…there aren’t any other options.

The tension here was palpable…but nobody cared…we were here for one reason and one reason only…to find out where they took Chloe and to rescue her. So that I can apologize for being such an ass…and tell her…tell her what she means to me…

I’ve wasted so much time…I always thought Chloe would never leave….never be taken…that she’d always be there…I took her for granted…but not anymore…when I got her back…things were going to change between us…and I was gonna change them…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)