May 31, 2009

Rampage Chapter (6/7)


Epilogue

Chapter 5 Part A
One Hour Later
(Lex POV)




I hung up the phone and stood up. Everyone was anxious to hear what was going on and I inwardly groaned. Personally I wasn’t Chloe’s biggest fan…she was a pain in my ass, but she was Lana’s best friend and thus I had to help with a situation I would have preferred to stay away from. I glanced over at Clark and he looked about ready to pounce.

Hmm I wonder what was going on there…if he wound up with Chloe that might just work out perfectly for me. Maybe Lana would get so angry that she stopped talking to both of them…I can hope can’t I? Lois’s mouth was moving and I shook myself out of my thoughts.

“What was that Miss Lane?”

She frowned at me and spoke again.

“What did they say?”

I nodded and moved out from behind my desk.

“I have an address. My security is getting a team together as we speak. We’ll move out in ten minutes.”

I walked over to Lana and rubbed her arm.

“Don’t worry Lana…we’ll get Chloe back and I’ll make sure the men who took her are put in jail.”

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Clark frown.

“What’s the address Lex?”

I glanced is his direction.

“My men have it…we’ll follow them.”

He shook his head.

“I want it…now.”

I saw Lana and Lois move next to each other as they watched the interaction between Clark and I. I was really trying to remember that Clark was going through a hard time. It was hard though because he was pissing me off so bad. I sighed.

“Clark, if I give you that address you’re going to go off half cocked and get yourself hurt. Just wait for my team to gear up and we can all go together…that way no one gets hurt…including Chloe.”

He looked thoughtful for a minute before he came over and stood directly in front of me with his large frame towering over me. Wonderful here comes the intimidation…great…his eyes held a menace that I didn’t usually see on Clark and his voice was tinged with barely controlled anger.

“Give me the address or I will take it from you. No more playing around Lex…Chloe is my responsibility…I need to make sure she’s ok…give me the…”

He stopped and moved back a bit. His face held confusion and his head was tilted to the side…as if he were listening to something. I saw his face go white and he glanced around at all of us. When he spoke next his voice came out quick.

“But Clark...”

He cut her off quickly.

“I have to go…”

He looked at Lois who scrunched up her face.

“I’ll explain later Lois…it’s important. Go with Lex…make sure everything goes ok and I’ll see you there.”

He practically ran out the door and left the three of us standing there in confusion. How was he going to meet us there? He didn’t know where we were going…

(Chloe POV)

I grunted and landed on the floor. I really needed to stop pissing this guy off…I was in the process of trying to pull myself up when he grabbed me and lifted me off the ground. I winced and spoke with as much irritation as I could muster at this point.

“You’re kinda hurting me buddy…think you can stop with the grabby hands.”

His hand came out and smack. My head flew to the left and I kept it there. No reason to agitate him any further…I was already going to have enough bruises to last me a while. His voice came out in a sneer.

“If you don’t keep you’re mouth shut it’s gonna be a whole lot worse then that!”

Just then I saw Dave walk in from outside. When he saw us the smile on his face dropped and was replaced with a frown.

“What’s goin on?”

“This bitch still don’t know her place yet!”

He gave me a sick grin and then spoke in a cold voice.

“But don’t worry she will.”

He threw me back on the floor and, Dave moved over to us and spoke cautiously.

“Man…I don’t think you wanna do that…Ono isn’t gonna be happy if you kill…”

The other guy cut him off.

“Shut up Dave! I’m not gonna kill her…just slice her up a bit…”

Dave turned and faced him.

“She’s already bleeding pretty bad…and I couldn’t stop it…give the girl a break…”

“Get out of her Dave…I always said your ass was too soft…go…or you can stay and watch…”

He turned back to me and I watched his hand pull out the knife he used on me when they took me. It glinted in the dimly lit room as he moved closer to me. His eyes were cold and malicious looking and the grin on his face could only be called predatory. I tried to slide away but my body was hurting too much at this point to do anything.

I swallowed deep and did the only thing I could think of. I let out a blood-curdling scream that was even foreign to my own ears.

“CLLLLLLAAAAAAARRRRKKKKK HEEEEELLP MEEEE CLLLLLAAARRRKKK…Please…. CLARK!”

I saw the guy laugh, as he got closer.

“Scream all you want baby…no one’s gonna here you…not even that Boy Scout boyfriend of yours…you’re all alone out here…”

I opened my mouth and kept screaming…it was the only way Clark was gonna find me…

(Clark POV)

As soon as I was out of eye range I jumped into super speed. That was Chloe…I’d know that voice anywhere. She was calling for me…now I just had to keep listening…I sped into Metropolis and stopped in front of The Daily Planet. I glanced around and looked into the ally where she was taken. I sighed. Come on Chlo…I can’t find you without you’re help…

I went inside The Planet and into the basement. It was weird without Chloe there. I moved over to her desk and was fingering something on it when someone knocked into me. I turned and Andrea was standing there frowning.

“You never called…I thought we were getting that watch back.”

I swallowed hard and shook my head. My voice was low when I spoke as I moved her into a side room away form everyone.

“There’s been a change in plans. I didn’t call because…they took Chloe. The gang from last night.”

I saw her shake her head and look down.

“Do you know where she is?”

I shook my head.

“I heard her…I heard her calling for me. Screaming for help. I trailed it back to Metropolis but she hasn’t said anything else and until she does…I can’t find her.”

I watched Andrea nod her head and start walking out of the room.

“Come on.”

I followed her and frowned.

“Where are we going?”

She grabbed her bag and I walked out with her toward the elevators. She held up a finger for me to wait and went into the bathroom. I was standing there rocking back and forth on my heels when I heard it.

“Clark please…oh god Clark I need you…help me…CLARK!”

I stood up straight just as Andrea was coming out of the bathroom. I grabbed her arm and she tried to tug it away as I pulled her out of the building.

“We have to go…NOW…I can hear Chloe…hold on…”

I sped in the direction of her voice and we wound up in an empty ally. I frowned. This place looked familiar.

“What are we doing back here Clark?”

That’s why it looked familiar we came here yesterday…this is where I grabbed that guys phone. I motioned for Andrea to be quiet and I closed my eyes and concentrated. I heard a cat in the ally…some birds…a couple arguing about groceries…and…what was that…. a heart beat…it was beating irately, fast, skipping beats, all over the place.

I concentrated on just that sound and I heard a whimper and then a scream that I would have been able to hear without my abilities.

“CLARK!”

Andrea’s head whipped around.

“Was that Chloe?”

I nodded. I knew where she was. I sped up the ally to an abandoned building. There was a large metal door and when I tried the knob it was locked. I could hear Andrea calling my name but I wasn’t waiting this was it. Chloe was here and she needed me…I ripped the door off its hinges and sped into the room…

(Chloe POV)

He was right in front of me now bending down and I couldn’t scream anymore. My voice was horse and my body ached. I felt lightheaded and detached from my body. I closed my eyes tightly waiting for the pain to come…but it never did…I opened my eyes when I felt warm arms gently lifting me off the floor. I felt tears leaking down my face.

“Cl…Clark…Clark…oh god…I knew you’d come…I knew.”

I smiled and his face-looked pale…his voice came out slightly chocked up.

“God Chlo…what did they do to you?”

I heard rustling and then a voice from behind Clark spoke.

“That was a big mistake boy scout.”

I saw Clark look over his shoulder. His eyes went dark and I felt his hands tighten on me. His jaw was set and I could almost see the steam coming out of his ears. This wasn’t good…yeah I think that Hector guy should pay…but I’m feeling kinda off here…something isn’t right and I could use a trip to the hospital…preferably soon…

I felt him place me gently against something hard so I was sitting up. I winced and watched him take off his jacket and wrap it around me. He moved my hair away from my face and spoke in a gentle voice.

“It’s gonna be ok Chlo…I got you now…”

I saw his tall frame stand and face Hector. This was bad…when I said that thing about Clark killing him…I didn’t mean it…not really anyway…hopefully Clark doesn’t do anything he regrets…

(Clark POV)

When I first saw him standing over Chloe with a knife in hand I felt rage boil inside of me, but now…with him standing here in front of me…holding a gun to me I was even angrier. I started to move forward and he waved the gun at me.

“Don’t think I won’t use it buddy…”

I glared in his direction.

“Go ahead…you’re gonna need it…”

I started to take another step and he shot off two rounds. I just kept on walking. His eyes went wide and his mouth gaped.

“Oh shit! What the hell are you man?”

He started backing away from me and I gave him a malicious grin. Just then Andrea walking in holding Snake by the shirt collar. She threw him to the floor and shook her head.

“Look who was trying to get away…”

I turned to face her and the guy in front of me started running. I the time he reached the door I was already there waiting.

“I’m not done with you yet.”

I grabbed him by the neck and slammed him into the wall. He was clawing at my hands trying to free himself so I slammed him back again.

“Please…man please…”

My look darkened and there was a steely edge to my voice when I spoke to him.

“How many times did she say that? Hmm…how many times did she beg you to stop…and you hurt her….do you see what you did? DO YOU?”

I moved him off the wall and dragged him in front of Chloe. I pushed him forward and pointed.

“LOOK AT HER…”

He did and I watched him raise the gun he was still holding in his hand. I saw his finger pressing on the trigger and I shook my head. My arm shot out and I snapped his wrist back. I felt the cracking of bones and the thud as the gun hit the floor.

He screamed out in pain and fell to his knees. I went to grab him and I saw Chloe shift.

“Clark stop!”

Her voice was weak and I looked up at her battered body. She continued talking and I strained to hear her.

“You can’t hurt him Clark…that isn’t who you are…I know you…I know you’re angry…but…look around I’m, alive…and I need you…your father wouldn’t want it to end like that…please Clark….”

Her voice trailed off and I could see she was struggling to keep her eyes open. I glanced over at Andrea who had a knife by Snake’s throat. My eyes widened and I felt the wind knocked out of me as I stood. Chloe’s right…my god I can’t believe I almost just…it’s bad enough I broke the guys hand…I had to stop Andrea…

“Andrea Don’t! if you kill him…you’ll regret it later…”

When she glanced at me I could see the fire in her eyes.

“HE KILLED MY MOTHER!”

The guy by me was trying to run and I grabbed him and knocked him out as gently as I could. When I turned back I saw her plunging the knife into Snakes body. I reached out my arm and yelled out…but I was too late.

“NOOO!”

Just as the body was sliding down Lois, Lana, Lex and his team came busting through a side door guns raised and shouting.

“Everyone to the floor NOW!”

Andrea looked over at me and there was pain on my face…she jumped up and took off crashing through one of the windows. They shot at her but missed as she disappeared into the seedier side of Metropolis. Lois came running over when she saw Chloe unconscious.

“Oh my god Chloe! Lex we need an ambulance…NOW Hurry!”

I watched Lex take out his phone and call 911. I plopped down next to Lois and Chloe and just sat there while Lois held her. Lois looked up at me and there were tears streaming down her face.

“What happened Clark….how’d you get here? Who were those guys? How’d you find this place?”

I just swallowed hard and shook my head. I felt my eyes become wet and my voice was low when I spoke.

“I can’t…we just have to concentrate on Chloe…when she wakes up…I have to talk to her and then…I’ll tell you everything…we both will just not now…I can’t…”

She seemed to understand because she left it alone. The ambulance arrived about ten minutes later and they made us move away from Chloe. I could hear them calling out a bunch of things that mad no sense to me. Fractured wrist, ribs, severe bruising to the stomach , face, and head, head trauma, gash in the side…and a few other medical terms that had Lois crying harder.

I tried to comfort her but how do you comfort someone when you can’t even comfort yourself? The police came and was talking to everyone. They tried to get statements from us but Lois and I hopped in the back of the ambulance and went with Chloe to the hospital. Lana and Lex stayed behind to deal with the police.

We had bigger things to worry about…like what that loud noise was….I gave a confused look as a long loud beep sounded in the back of the vehicle. That’s when I heard the driver call out to the guy in back with us.

“She’s flat lining…grab the paddles!”

Lois and I had to scrunch ourselves together and out of the way. It was like time stopped and I could feel everything going on around me at that moment. I could smell Lois’s perfume…it was a floral scent…yet spicy…outside the ambulance the sky had opened up and the rain was pelting the widows hard…the inside smelt of antiseptic and alcohol…

And I’ll never forget the way Chloe looked. Pale with something plastic over her mouth pumping air into it…while they used the electric paddles to try and get her back…I looked at everything…it was like I was outside my body watching us go through this…and the only thoughts flying through my head…were…Chloe’s dieing…and for once there isn’t a damn thing I can do about it…oh god…we were to late…I WAS TOO LATE…

(Lois POV)

Four Hours Later

I sat nervously in the plastic chair. God they almost lost her back there…where we were driving to the hospital Chloe flat lined. It took three different levels of that shock thing to get her back. When it was happening Clark looked desperate. I remember the pale look on his face…the fear…his eyes were haunted…they still are.

I glanced at the chair across from me and he was moving around uncomfortably. His large frame was too much for the poor chair to handle. It was a site that almost made me laugh…almost. The doctor has been in with Chloe for the past four hours and we haven’t been allowed to see her yet.

He had her in surgery for almost two hours and then they put her in recovery. That’s where she was now. He did inform us that everything went well on the table…and hopefully she’d be making a full recovery.

When I questioned him about the hopefully he was kinda sketchy on the details there…but he made it seem like everything would be fine…I hope he was right…I don’t know what I’d do without Chloe…

And to be honest I don’t know what Clark would do without her either…he’s lost so many people already and he and Chloe were freakishly close sometimes…if she didn’t recover…I don’t even want to think what would happen…

I saw a doctor making his way over and when he stopped in front of us Clark and I both straightened up. The doctor smiled at me.

“Miss Sullivan is awake now…you may go in one at a time to see her.”

I gave him a beaming grin.

“Thanks doc.”

Clark was already getting up and I raised my eyebrow.

“Where do you think you’re going Smallville?”

“To see Chloe…I know she’s your cousin Lois…but I have to see her first…please…it’s important….”

I gazed at him closely and he looked worn-out. I sighed fine…I’d let him go first…but I wouldn’t like it.

“You make it quick Smallville or I’ll come in there and get you…got it?”

He gave me a tired smile and nodded. I watched him walk down the hallway and disappear behind the doors. I slipped back into my seat and leaned my head back. If all of this didn’t make him open his eyes and realize how much he loves my cousin…well then I’m convinced nothing will…I know he loves her…it’s obvious now…the question is does he know…

(Chloe POV)

I heard a knock on the door as it slid open slowly. I raised an eyebrow and saw Clark’s head pop in. The look on his face softened when he saw me.

“Hey…”

I grinned.

“Hey yourself.”

He moved in, came over and sat by my side. He was quiet and his eyes weren’t really meeting mine. I didn’t push though; he’d talk when he was ready. I felt his large hand encase mine and I looked up into his face. He finally met my eyes and smiled. His voice was full of emotion when he spoke.

“I’m sorry.”

I frowned. Those were the first words out of his mouth…I’m sorry? Not exactly what I was looking for but it didn’t look like he was finished…so maybe it’ll get better. I raised an eyebrow at him and he continued as his thumb unconsciously rhythmically stroked my hand.

“I have been out of line lately with everyone…but especially you. I was so lost Chlo…”

I watched him shake his head as he sighed but then he grinned and I looked at him with confusion on my face. Why was he grinning like an idiot? He continued talking.

“I’m not lost anymore though, and I know exactly where I belong. I just can’t believe it took me this long to figure it out.”

I held up a hand.

“Ok…I still have a bit of a headache…so if we could stop talking in circles that’d be great. Where exactly do you belong? Cause I’m kinda confused…”

He gave me a short chuckle and when he spoke his eyes twinkled with mirth.

“I belong right here…with you. By your side, and there isn’t any place I’d rather be.”

I took a deep breath, which by the way hurt like a you know what…He was looking at me expectantly and I frowned. I spoke with curiosity.

“You don’t expect it to be that easy…do you?”

It was his turn to frown.

“What do you mean?”

I snorted.

“I mean…you’re gonna have to do better then that…Apology…check…you belong here with me…I dunno exactly what that means…you’ll have to explain further.”

I saw his smile return as he lifted my hand to his lips and placed a gentle kiss there. His voice was playful but the seriousness in his eyes touched me to my core.

“Chloe Sullivan you are my best friend…you’ve been there for me whenever I’ve needed you…your loyalties have never wavered…you push me to do better like no one else can…and you accept me for who and what I am. You’ve always told me my powers are gifts not a curse…just like my dad always used to.”

My eyes were tearing up but he didn’t stop. I could see the affection on his face when he spoke.

“I can’t believe I never noticed how much I need you…but I do…and I know now…that’s what matters. I want to be with you Chlo…I want you to tell me that you’ll never walk out on me again…that you’ll be here…and I promise you that I’ll do the same.”

He gave me a stunning smile and titled his head in a shy manner.

“I’ll be your guy Chlo…I mean…you know…if you want me to be…”

He was sitting there with an anxious look on his face and the meaner side of me wanted to make him wait a little longer for his answer…but to be honest I was just as impatient as he was. I have wanted him for years…and he’s finally here asking me to be his…I would scream with some crazy kind of happiness if my throat weren’t so sore.

I gave him a small grin and sighed.

“It’s about time…sometimes I swear you’re just a big dumb alien!”

He chuckled and I motioned between us.

“Well…what are you doing all the way over there? I feel like I haven’t seen you in days…do I get a hug…hmmm or since we’re like together now…maybe a kiss…yeah that’s probably better then a hug…I could see a super kiss making me fell all better…”

He moved closer and hovered above me.

“I bet you can…”

I nodded.

“Yup.”

He leaned down and I felt his lips brushing lightly against mine when bang the door swung open and startled us. I moved my head down on the pillow and Clark lifted his head up quickly and rubbed the back of his neck. His face was slightly red and that made me want to laugh. He’s too cute!

I looked up and saw a frowning Lois with a startled Lex and Lana standing beside her. I smiled.

“Hey guys…I didn’t get a chance to say thanks for the miracle rescue…so how’d you find me anyway?”

Everyone was quiet. Clark was standing by my bed still rubbing the back of his neck while Lois glared in his direction. I glanced at Lana who was standing curiously close to Lex who was lightly rubbing the small of her back unconsciously. Well…if that wasn’t quite the development….Lois’s voice broke the silence. She pointed to Clark.

“We’ll get back to that later…neither of you are off the hook. When you didn’t show up for work The Planet called. I went to Metropolis and found your phone in an ally an called Clark.”

I turned to Clark and he cut her off.

“I flipped out ran over to the Talon devised a plan with Lois and then went to Lana to see if she could get Lex to help.”

Before he had a chance to continue Lana spoke up.

“I yelled at him and told him I wouldn’t help him until I found out it had to do with you. Then I called Lex we picked up Lois and went to the mansion where Clark gave Lex the phone and he traced the address back to where we found you and the rest…well you were there. Speaking of which how are you feeling Chloe?”

She walked over and sat on the edge of my bed. I placed my hand over hers and gave her a slight smile.

“I’m doing ok…sore but I’ll live thanks to you guys. Thanks again everyone I really appreciate it. Thank you Lex for figuring out where I was…”

He nodded.

“Not a problem Chloe.”

We spent the next half hour talking and catching up. Even Lex and Clark had a few laughs…it was peaceful and completely serene…but everything has to end at some point and one of the nurses came in and told us to break it up. I watched Lex stand and grab his coat and look toward Lana.

“Need a ride?”

I watched her face light up when she spoke to him.

“Definitely.”

She turned and gave me a gentle hug.

“Bye Chloe…you better call me as soon as you get out of here…I’ll keep you company at the dorms.”

Clark cut in and spoke lightly.

“I actually think Chloe is gonna stay with me and my mom for a while…just until she’s fully healed.”

Lana looked back and forth between us and nodded. Clark would just never learn to keep his mouth shut…and I never agreed to that he’s delusional…what was I gonna do with him? Hopefully I’d have a lifetime to figure it out.

(Lana POV)

I heard what Clark said and just nodded. I know he didn’t mean it in a malicious way. I saw Lois getting up and ready to go when Clark interrupted her movements.

“Actually Lois…could you stay? Chloe and I have something we want to tell you…”

Lois raised an eyebrow and I saw Chloe frown.

“We do?”

He nodded.

“Yea…about that club that you joined not too long ago.”

I watched Chloe’s eyes go wide and she shifted herself slightly to face him better.

“Really? Well…I mean…wow…what brought this on?”

He watched her for a few seconds before saying anything.

“Its just time…but I wanted to make sure it was ok with you first…”

She nodded and then glanced at Lex and I.

“Yeah. It’s more than fine. Thanks again guys for stopping by to see me…I appreciate it.”

That was our clue to leave and I’m pretty sure Lex took the hint as he ushered me out of the room. As we were leaving I heard Lois asking why she was there. When the door was falling shut slowly I glanced at them through the small open square as there voices lightly wafted through.

“Chloe and I have something we want to tell you…and I’m not sure how you’re gonna take it…”

“Just remember Lo’ Clark is Clark…”

There voices cut out when the door closed all the way but I still watched. Clark was standing protectively next to Chloe rubbing her shoulder lightly…looking completely at ease…Chloe had a glow about her that I couldn’t even describe…she radiated happiness.

I knew this would happen…ever since I read that letter Chloe had written back in high school I knew one day Clark would see where he was truly meant to be…I hoped it wouldn’t happen because I honestly did love him…but I knew it would…and that time was now…

I felt Lex’s hand brush across my arm. His voice held concern when he spoke.

“You ok?”

I turned to him and gave him and gave him a genuine smile.

“Yea…I’m good. Can you take me home?”

He smiled.

“Absolutely.”

As I walked with Lex out of the hospital my thoughts drifted to what I had just seen. At one point I would have been mad…furious even…but now…I was ok. Clark was happy with Chloe and I could tell she was happy too.

And me…well I think there is positively room for a certain billionaire in my life…I really care about Lex and I’m not naive enough to think he helped Chloe out of the goodness of his heart.

The two of them don’t really get along…but he did it for me…and that was good enough for me…I didn’t know where Lex and I would end up…but I knew one thing for sure…Clark Kent was exactly where he was supposed to be…with the girl of his dreams…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)