May 31, 2009

Rampage Chapter (4/7)

Chapter 4

Chapter 3 Part A
Later That Night
(Lana POV)




I listened to the clock tick as I wiped down the tables inside the Talon. When I got up this morning I felt at lot better than I had yesterday. Chloe really helped me last night…I was glad she was being so supportive. I know it’s hard for her to always be torn between Clark and I. She called me earlier to tell me that Clark had stopped by. She said he was a mess but she thinks that things might be looking up soon.

I sighed. Clark and I were over…he made that perfectly clear last night…but I still wanted to be there for him…and maybe with time…we could be friends again…I was startled out of my thoughts when I heard the door to the Talon being pulled open. I glanced up and standing in the doorway was Lex.

I wasn’t exactly sure where him and I stood. Especially with everything that happened the night Mr. Kent died. He had apologized and I accepted…but we haven’t really spoken since. I like Lex…he’s smart, successful, and a he really does try and be a good person. He has so much going against him though that sometimes he slips and doesn’t make the greatest choices.

But doesn’t that happen to all of us? Moments of weakness? Clark has certainly had his share of them lately. I hope that he knows I’m not still angry about that night…If I’ve learned anything recently it’s that life is too short to dwell on the past. His voice broke me out of my thought. He hesitated at first but then spoke normally with a sad smile gracing his lips

“I saw your car out front. Looks like old habits die-hard.”

I shrugged and started placing the chairs on the tables as I spoke.

“Mrs. Kent asked me to close up for the night. They're going through a lot right now.”

He nodded and the look on his face turned pained. He walked closer to me slowly.

“I know that…I didn’t mean to imply that they weren’t.”

I sighed and faced him. I gave him a tired smile before speaking.

“You didn’t. I’m sorry I’m just a little tired. It’s been a long few days.”

He nodded. He had a look of resentment on his face and I knew what was coming.

“Look... Lana...”

I waved him off as I moved around wiping more tables and then placing the chairs on top.

“Lex, it's okay. Honesty you’ve already said ‘I’m sorry’”

He came over and helped me lift up the last of the chairs as he spoke.

“Yeah, well, it means more when it's coming from someone who's not drunk.”

I gave him a small smile.

“Well we’re good so no worries.”

He nodded and his facial expression turned thoughtful.

“Come to think of it you seemed pretty upset with Clark that night. Are things better?”

I was startled by his question and wound up tripping on a table leg. I started to tilt but Lex righted me and I griped his forearms to steady myself. He raised an eyebrow.

“You ok?”

I moved slightly back and nodded.

“Yeah…yeah I’m fine. Sorry about that.”

I went behind the counter and started putting stuff away. Lex followed and was quiet for a couple of seconds before speaking again.

“How's he doing?”

I stopped what I was doing but didn’t turn to face him. I swallowed hard and licked my lips. He’s falling apart…he’s going insane…he’s taking his anger out on everyone around him…I turned around and tilted my head slightly to the side as I spoke.

“Lex, we both know what it's like to lose a parent. He's devastated.”

I wasn’t sure how Clark and Lex’s friendship was so I didn’t want to say anything to revealing. If Clark wanted to take his time and talk to Lex he would. I heard Lex talking as he fixed his jacket.

“Yeah, I-I tried to get ahold of him, but he doesn't want to see me.”

I snorted lightly and Lex gave me an odd look. I leaned against the counter and made a face.

“Sorry. Its just…Clark doesn’t really want to see much of anyone lately…so don’t take it too personal. Because as much as we both want to help Clark needs to want our help before we can give it.

He moved in closer to the counter and searched out my eyes. His voice was soft and warm.

“He's, uh... he's very lucky to have you in his life, Lana.”

I tried to smile but it faltered and Lex caught it. He frowned and his eyebrows scrunched together. My eyes watered and I stood up straight.

“I’m sorry. Just…ignore me.”

He reached out and rubbed my arm slightly.

“Lana…what’s wrong?”

I was quiet for a while but he stood there patiently. I wiped my eyes and sighed.

“Clark…and I…we broke up. It’s over…for good this time.”

His expression looked a little shocked and he placed his hand over mine when he spoke.

“Lana I’m…I’m sorry.”

I gave a half smile and shrugged lightly.

“Don’t be. This might sound mean but I actually do feel like a hundred tons of secrets and lies have been lifted off my shoulders. You know what it's like being friends with Clark. No matter what he tells you, you don't know If it's the truth. You can never trust him.”

I couldn’t believe I was telling all of this to Lex. I haven’t even had a chance to tell Chloe that I’m ok about everything…but Lex is here and well I didn’t want to put Chloe any further in the middle than she already was.

Lex sighed and moved back from me.

“Well regardless of Clarks secrets and such I know you really cared about him…so I’m sorry you’re hurting.”

“Thanks.”

I gave him a warm smile and he grinned.

“What are you doing right now?”

I raised an eyebrow.

“Closing up the Talon?”

He chuckled.

“Why don’t you and I go back to the mansion. I know it’s late but I was just about to order dinner and I’ll even let you beat me in a game of chess…”

I glanced at him and he looked genuinely enthused about the idea, which made me laugh. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Lex this carefree. He’s always so serious…except for right now. He stood there with a crooked smile on his face waiting for my answer. I nodded.

“Why not…should I follow you back?”

He shook his head no.

“I’ll take you and when we’re done I’ll have my driver bring you home.”

“Give me a minute.”

He inclined his head and started to walk toward the door.

“I’ll wait for you in the car.”

“Ok.”

I watched him walk out and as I closed everything up, grabbed my jacket, and shut the lights I felt a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. It wasn’t bad…it was just unusual. It felt like…butterflies…but that wasn’t possible…I mean Lex and I…we were just friends nothing else. I laughed at my own silliness’. I was probably just hungry…yup…hungry nothing else…because like I said before…we are just friends…

(Chloe POV)

I was rushing around The Planet trying to get everything together for Clark. I felt a rush of wind blow by my left side and I turned expecting to see Clark but he wasn’t there.

I frowned and turned in the other direction, smack, right into Clark’s chest. I screeched loudly and held a hand to my chest as I glared at Clark.

“Jesus…are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

When I realized what I just said I gasped and covered my mouth. There was worry in my eyes when I saw Clark flinch.

“I’m sorry…I didn’t think…god Clark I’m so sorry…”

I rubbed his arm lightly and he shrugged off my hand as he walked to my desk.

“It’s fine.”

I was going to say something but he didn’t give me the chance.

“I just spent hours down at Metropolis P.D. There's not one person down there who can tell me anything about who mugged my mom.”

He wanted to ignore my blunder…fine I could do that…I walked around my desk and grabbed some papers.

“I've got that covered. My mole down at the precinct said he'd fax me the police report as soon as he got it. So, your mom actually saw the vigilante?”

He shrugged as he watched what I was doing.

“Barely. She left just before the police got there.”

I grinned slightly as I walked to where I was putting together all the articles about the vigilante. My voice held excitement as I spoke.

"Do you know that there have been rumors about her flying around Suicide Slums for weeks, but I couldn't get a confirmed eyewitness until your mom. Now this has "front-page news" written all over it. The vigilante is for real. Can you believe that there is someone else out there with powers…helping save people?”

I turned to him beaming and he gave me an irritated look and shuffled his feet. His voice held impatiens when he spoke.

“This is great, Chloe. I let my mom go down to Suicide Slums alone, she gets mugged, and you're cashing in on it.”

I winced and then a frown settled on my face. He didn’t really believe that’s what I was doing…did he? I don’t know how he could think that…I love Mrs. Kent like a mother…she ‘s always been good to me. When I spoke my voice came out a little harsher then I had intended but I think it got my point across.

“Clark, I’ m only trying to help you. This is part of figuring everything out. You don't have to bite my head off.”

He gave me a slight glare while we made our way back to my desk.

“Yea…you putting a story together for the front page of The Planet is really in my mothers best interest.”

I turned to face him and was about to say something when He bumped into Andrea one of the other interns who worked below sea level with me. I watched their interaction closely. Her voice was nervous when she spoke.

“Oh! I'm sorry.

Clark shook his head and helped her pick up the papers she dropped.

“No…it was my fault…I'm sorry.”

She gave him a small smile as she stood and pushed up her glasses. She handed me a pile of papers.

“Uh, they're today's obits.”

I gave her a warm smile.

“Thanks.”

She walked away and I turned my attention back to Clark. He sighed.

“I’m sorry.”

I glanced at him and he kept moving back and forth under my gaze. I spoke softly but firmly.

“Sorry isn’t going to keep cutting it Clark. You need to control this anger that’s building inside of you…stop taking it out on the people who care about you.”

“What like you? Listen if I wanted a lecture I’d go home and talk to my mom. All I want is the damn police report Chloe. I want to figure out who these guys are and I wanna get my dads watch back. Is that so bad? Can’t you just help me without all the damn commentary?”

He was doing it again…I am really getting tired of being the one who’s walked all over. I know he’s hurting…but that’s not an excuse to treat the people who are trying to help you badly. Especially me…I never did anything but be there for him…well things were about to change…

I shook my head and pointed to the door. I stood tall my voice hard.

“Leave Clark.”

He gave me a confused look.

“What?”

“I said leave. I’m tired of being your punching bag. I know you’re hurting and I’ve tried to be understanding but I have been doing everything in my power to help you and you still insist on treating me the way you do. Well I’m done. You can come back when you want to act like a normal person.”

He raised an eyebrow.

“I’m not normal.”

He was frustrating me so I raised my voice.

“You know what I mean dammit! I’m serious Clark. Leave.”

He looked hurt for a minute but that was gone quickly. He shrugged and his voice came out hard.

“I want the police report first.”

“No.”

He took a step toward and stood towering over me.

“I’m not leaving without it.”

I pushed him slightly in the chest a few times to get him to move but he wouldn’t budge.

“I’m not afraid of you Clark…you can try to intimidate me all you want…it won’t work. I know the real you and I know you wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

He stepped back and started rummaging through the papers on my desk for it. I tried to move his arms and he pushed his back to get me to stop and he wound up knocking me back into the desk behind me. When my body thudded against the edge of the desk I let out a startled yelp and an ow.

He turned his head and saw the tears that built up in my eyes and he immediately came over to see if I was ok.

“Chloe…I’m sorry…I…are you ok?”

I pushed myself away from the desk went over to the scattered papers and grabbed a couple. I turned and pushed them against his chest with the palm of my hand. His hand came up meeting mine and I pulled away. He hit me…it wasn’t intentional and I could tell he felt bad by the look on his face. But this is what I was talking about…him being out of control.

My voice quavered slightly and I could feel the tears building but I wouldn’t let them fall. I promised myself a long time ago I’d stop crying over Clark Kent. Now was no exception.

“Go home Clark…Don’t come back until you can bring my best friend back with you.”

He looked down and when he glanced back up I could see regret on his face. He turned, walked away and then stopped. He spoke without facing me.

“I know you’re mad at me…and you have every right to be. I’m sorry Chlo. I don’t know what’s going on inside me right now…I’m…I’m all messed up. But as mad as you are promise me one thing…when and if you find something out…you’ll call me…I don’t want to see you hurt too Chloe…”

I didn’t answer him but he said his piece so he walked a few paces and then sped off. I rubbed my lower back slightly and winced. He was getting more violent…I really hoped he delt with his issues soon or he was going to wined up being one of those people he fought everyday.

I walked over to the fax machine to see if they had sent me anything else when someone grabbed me out of nowhere. I grunted and heard a low voice by my ear. It was female and she had a slight accent.

“I heard you were asking around about me. Something tells me a front-page story could be a little bad for my health. Let it go. ¿Comprende?”

I cleared my throat and spoke.

“Who are you?”

She let me go and tossed me back. Ugh slamming into more office furniture wasn’t my idea of fun…but apparently everyone else enjoyed it. Oh my god….it was the Angel of Vengeance…

“Stay out of my way. I'm one of the good guys.”

I watched her leap up and glide away like some kind of bird…it was amazing…I just came face to face with the vigilante. I’d call Clark and tell him about it but after everything that happened tonight I think we both need a little space. Tonight was gonna be a long but I think I have an idea on how we can find the people who mugged Mrs. Kent…and she was patrolling the streets of Metropolis as we speak.

I grinned and went to my desk to pack up all my research and stuff to take home with me. Looks like I’d be pulling an all nighter tonight…and I couldn’t be happier about it…even if I didn’t find anything useful at least it would serve to keep my mind off of a certain farmboy…right now Clark Kent didn’t deserve a thing from me…not even my worry…. so then why was it that even after all the crap he pulled I couldn’t get him out of my thoughts?

Chapter 3 Part B

The Next Morning

(Saturday Morning)

(Lois POV)

I rapped heavily on Chloe’s dorm door before opening it and walking inside the small room. I glanced around and it looked empty save for the large bump under the covers on Chloe’s bed. I grinned and as I tightened my hold on the warm coffee mug in my left hand and made my way over to her bed. I poked her lightly a few times and when she groaned and rolled over I moved my eyes heavenward.

She can spend hours on hours at The Planet until god know what time in the morning…but try getting her up early on a day off and all hope is gone…I grinned, reached out my empty hand and slapped her lightly on the rear. That should do it…and there we go. I heard a loud Oww echo through the room as Chloe turned over and glared in my direction.

Her look turned from mad to confused. She scrunched up her eyebrows and it made her face look kinda like those cute dogs with the wrinkled up faces. I gave her a beaming smile as she spoke in a tired and slightly irritated voice.

“Lois? What in the world are you doing?”

I held the coffee in front of her.

“Peace offering?”

She sat up and glared but took the mug from me. Before she started to sip from she mumbled in my direction.

“It’s gonna take a lot more then one mug to make a peace offering Lo’. What do you want?”

I absolutely loved Chloe…she’s my favorite cousin…well ok…my only cousin but still…I pulled the covers off of the rest of her body and her glared deepened, but I didn’t let it deter me. I walked over to her closet and started pulling clothes out for her as I explained why I was there so early.

“Well I went over to the Kent farm this morning and ran into a certain Kansas farmboy. He was going through a whole bunch of police reports and what not.”

I turned and faced her as I put the last of the outfit I picked out on the bed.

“Did you hear about what happened to Mrs. Kent?”

She nodded slowly and looked down. I raised an eyebrow but continued.

“Well Smallville seemed really stressed when I ran into him. Tossing the papers around and throwing a tantrum,” I shook my head and glanced at Chloe. She looked worried, “but anyway so of course I asked him what’s got his panties in such a bunch and he practically bit my head off before deflating like a popped balloon and asking if I’ve talked to you lately.”

Her head popped up and I could almost see the interest in her eyes. I knew it! She still has it bad for Smallvile…I really don’t see what’s so great about him. He’s a little to shy and goofy for my taste…my poor poor cousin…she’s been out of Metropolis too long…She had a brow raised and motioned for me to continue and I rolled my eyes.

“I told him I hadn’t spoken to you in a day or so. I then asked him why and he sneered at me. I’m talking straight up growl Chlo…told me it was none of my business and I should go cause he was busy.”

I shrugged and made a face.

“Has he been acting like this since the funeral? Cause it’s kinda weird…like he’s got two different people fighting in his head.”

She frowned and spoke in a perplexed voice.

“Why would you say that?”

I smiled and leaned up against her desk.

“Oh wait for it…I’m getting there. So after Smallville had his little “yell at Lois time” I told him where he could stuff his attitude and I started to leave,” my voice and face both softened, “listen I know he’s grieving but I was only trying to help him. I loved Mr. Kent too and I’m not biting everyone’s head off. I know it’s not the same…he wasn’t my father…but still…”

I paused and looked away for a second to collect myself before glancing back at Chloe and continuing.

“Then as I’m leaving he calls out my name, I didn’t turn but I paused, you know to listen. He said to come see you and make sure you were alright, and that you didn’t do anything stupid. It was the oddest thing and completely out of left field. After that I was…. curious so I grabbed a coffee and headed here.”

Chlo nodded and stood up stretching for a minute before placing the mug on her dresser and looking thoughtful.

“I knew about Clarks mom since yesterday morning. He came by to tell me what happened to see if I could help. I’m the one who got him those police reports. I spent all day at The Planet yesterday trying to figure out who these people were and nothing.”

When she turned her head up to me though there was a grin on her face and her voice came out excited.

“Until last night. You know about the vigilante that’s been going around Metropolis saving people?”

I nodded and she continued.

“Well she saved Clark’s mom and she was also connected in all the other muggings that fit this profile. So I figured if we want to know who these guys are we need to find her. Speaking of which she paid me a little visit last night before I left The Planet…”

My eyes widened.

“And I’m just hearing about this now why?”

She shrugged.

“Because this is when I brought it up?” she moved away from the dresser and continued talking as she picked up her clothes.

“Let me get dressed and we’ll head to The Planet. I’m not on the schedule today but I don’t think they’ll care. We can try to get as much information on her as possible and then you can pass the info over to Clark.”

I nodded and then stopped. Wait…did she say I could pass the info to Clark? That’s unusual why doesn’t she want to do it? Besides I don’t want to pass the information to him…he was an ass this morning.

“Why don’t you just tell him yourself?”

I saw her body tense up and she tried to relax and brush it off but it was to late I already noticed it. I waited for her response patiently and wasn’t disappointed.

“Clark and I sort of had a disagreement last night. We’ve a…kinda decided to take a break for a little while, give each other some time to cool down. I know how important this is to him though. His mom is all he has left. So if you could pass it along for me Lo’ I’d appreciate it.”

I sighed and pushed myself off from the desk and gave her a slight glare.

“Fine. Let’s go get this over with then. The sooner we find out where she is the sooner I can tell Smallville.”

She nodded I told her I’d wait for her in the car and I left so she could get dressed get dressed. As I was walking back to the car I ran smack into Lana. It seemed to jolt her out of her thoughts. She started apologizing as she looked up.

“Oh god I’m so sorry I should pay more…Lois?”

I chuckled and nodded.

“Yeah. Hey Lana how are you?”

She smiled and nodded.

“Good you?”

“Can’t complain. Where you off to in such a hurry?”

I saw her blush slightly as she spoke in a soft manner.

“I was just heading back to the dorm room. I’m running late for class.”

I gave her a small grin and made a tsking sound.

“Are you just getting in now Lana?”

Her face turned a shade darker then it was previously and she tilted her head away.

“Umm kinda…but it’s not what you think. I was hanging out with a friend last night and I must have fallen asleep during the movie we were watching and then…”

I cut her off and gave a small good-humored laugh.

“Lana relax I’m only joking with you. You’re a big girl you can do what you want no judging from me. I was kidding around with you.”

She gave me a nervous smile and nodded.

“I should really get going though. I have to change before trying to make my lecture. It was good to see you. You me and Chloe should get together soon…hang out for a reason other than some kind of disaster.”

I smiled and nodded as she took off in the direction I just came from. I left the halls and waited for Chloe in the car. I wonder where Lana was last night. She wasn’t with Clark…that much was obvious. I’d have to ask Chloe about it when I got a chance. I don’t mean to come off callous with the whole Clark thing. It’s just I’m not too good with the emotional stuff apparently neither is he.

I would never admit this to anyone but I like Clark…we have a good understanding going on. He’s not a bad guy and he’s always there when I need him and he protects Chloe with everything he has. We always argue that’s just how our “friendship” works. But lately his comments and digs aren’t playful…there malicious.

I have no idea how to deal with a ragging Clark…hopefully Chloe could calm the crazy in him…she always seems to be able to bring out his common sense…lets hope this is one of those times…

(Chloe POV)

Saturday Early Afternoon

I glanced at the clock and groaned. It was eleven thirty and Lois and I have been at this for three and a half hours with absolutely no results. I am on the verge of giving up because of the sheer frustration. This girl was a ghost. I couldn’t find anything about her other then what I already had…which wasn’t much to begin with.

I sighed and spun my chair to face Lois who had stopped her search over forty-five minutes ago and was playing an online video game. I rolled my eyes and spoke mildly.

“Lois…how exactly are you helping here?”

She shrugged as she killed another space alien on the computer. She spoke her eyes never leaving the screen.

“I’m keeping you company. Face it Chlo…there isn’t anything about this girl anywhere. You should try it from a different angle because this is getting us no where…but bored and you know how I hate to be bored.”

I watched her for a minute and frowned. Yes I know how she hated to be bored and usually stuff like this is right up my ally but for some reason I just couldn’t concentrate. This was one of the most important things that I’ve ever tried to investigate and everywhere I turned was a dead end. I felt like I wasn’t doing everything I could.

Like I wasn’t trying as hard as I could…like I was failing Clark. That was it…that was the problem…I felt like I was letting him down. I’ve always been able to help him and now…when he needed me the most I just didn’t know what to do. I sighed and rubbed the bridge of my nose. Plus I was still mad about the other night, which only made things worse.

I took a deep breath. Ok relax Chloe…if you keep getting frustrated like this you’re going to be just as wound up as Clark…and that’s the last thing we need. Just breath. I turned back to the computer and started typing away. I accessed some of the records that were on my computer and started reading them over again and as I read the words on the screen I had a jolt of realization.

I sat back in my seat and chuckled as I shook my head. I saw Lois raise and eyebrow and glance over at me in a worried manner.

“Umm you ok their cuz? Preasure finally get to you?”

I laughed harder before contaning myself and grinning.

“No. All this time I’ve been stressing about information and where we can find her…and I just realized we don’t need to find her…we can make her come to us.”

I should have thought of this sooner…I must be more preoccupied then I thought…but now that I have an idea it’s time for stage one of the plan. When everything is all set up I’ll have Lois call Clark and fill him in…I’m sure once the Angel of Vengeance realized we were all on the same side she’d help us…hopefully.

(Lana POV)

Saturday Late Afternoon


I opened the dorm door tossed my books on the desk and plopped down on the bed. God it’s been a long day I needed to close my eyes and rest for a bit. As I closed my eyes my thoughts drifted back to this morning.

*flashback*

I opened my eyes and glanced around the room with a frown. When I sat up I realized where I was and I started to panic. I got up and looked down. I was still in all my clothes. Just my boots were off. I sighed in relief.

Not that I thought Lex would do something like that…he isn’t like that. I opened the door and walked down the hallway to the study. I pushed the door open slightly and I saw Lex sitting they’re sipping coffee and going through some papers. When I moved inside he must have seen me from the corner of his eye because he looked up and smiled.

“Morning.”

I gave him a shy smile.

“Morning…sorry about last night. I must have been more tired then I thought.”

He shook his head, got up and moved over toward me.

“Don’t be ridiculous. It’s fine. You looked exhausted and I didn’t want to wake you…I hope that’s ok. Did you sleep well?”

I nodded.

“It’s fine…and yes actually, I did. I think that’s the best nights sleep I’ve had in a while.”

I paused as he smiled. Lex has a really nice smile; I wonder why I never realized that before. He was still just standing there so I broke the silence.

“I had a really great time last night Lex. Thanks. It got my mind off of a lot of things that have been going on recently.”

He walked back to his desk as he spoke.

“It’s no problem Lana. That’s what friends are for. You know you can come to me whenever you need something.”

I grinned and moved over to the couch where I saw my boots on the floor. As I was slipping them on I glanced up and saw the time on his clock. My eyes widened and I swore slightly under my breath. Lex chuckled.

“Everything ok?”

I shook my head embarrassed and stood up.

“I have class this morning and I’m running really late. I’m never gonna make it to Metropolis in time.”

He laughed and picked his jacket up from behind his chair and smirked.

“Well it’s a good thing I have to fly into the office today…need a lift?”

I grinned.

“That’d be amazing Lex thanks!”

I followed him out and…my eyes popped open and I frowned. What was that? I tilted my head to the side when I heard it again. I sat up and it was quiet. Weird.

*Bang Bang*

Oh…it’s the door. Jeez am I slow today. I glanced at the clock. It was five-thirty. I must have dozed off for a minute. Chloe was probably at The Planet…hmm I wonder who it is. I walked over and opened the door. I was startled to see Clark standing there. I opened my mouth a few times before I tried to give him a slight smile and spoke lightly.

“Hey.”

He glanced behind me and spoke in a distracted manner.

“Hi. Is Chloe here?”

Ok so that stung. He barely said hello and he was acting like I didn’t even exists. I know we broke up but he could at least pretend he cared. I shook my head.

“No.”

“Do you know how long she’s been gone?”

I sighed.

“No.”

He glared at me.

“Do you know why she isn’t answering her cell phone?”

I was starting to get mad. Why is he having such an attitude with me…I was really getting tired of all his crap.

“No I don’t Clark.”

“Do you know anything Lana? Cause it sure doesn’t seem like it. Chloe’s your roommate shouldn’t you guys at least make sure each other are ok?”

I was fuming. I glared back at him and spoke in a harsh tone.

“You know what Clark screw you! Chloe went out with Lois earlier today at around seven thirty this morning. I wasn’t home so I don’t know where they went. She is a big girl she can take care of herself and if there was a problem I’m sure she’d call. Maybe instead of yelling at me about not knowing where Chloe is you should ask yourself why you don’t know where she is. Aren’t the two of you the best of friends?”

My voice turned mocking toward the end of the sentence and for a second I thought I saw his eyes glow. I frowned and gazed into them but they were there normal color. I shook my head. I was officially seeing things. His voice was hard when he spoke again.

“Where were you this morning that you weren’t here when Chloe woke up?”

None of your damn business!

“At Lex’s mansion!”

I froze and stopped speaking. Ok…I didn’t mean for that to come out t he way it sounded. I saw his jaw tense and he stood there looking at me. there was no emotion in his voice when he spoke.

“That’s pretty early to be visiting Smallville…unless you spent the night there…”

I looked away from him and I heard a humorless chuckle rip from his throat. As I glanced back over to him there was hurt in his eyes and I felt like a jerk. I moved my hand out to touch his arm but he jerked his body out of my reach.

“Don’t. I don’t want or need your sympathy. Good to know that us breaking up was so convenient for you that you’d move right onto Lex. Well there’s someone who will devote all of his attention to you…he’s only been trying to get your attention since he met you. Lex wants everything I have…that includes you Lana…you’re just a possession to him…a trophy. Enjoy it while it lasts.”

He turned and stormed away. I could barely say anything. My eyes teared up and I cursed myself for being so weak. I slammed the door shut and shook my head. You know what I’m glad he’s pissed. With everything he’s been pulling lately he deserves it. Let him think what he wants. He wanted to be mean…to hurt me…well I could dish out as good as I got .I glared at the closed door. Two can play this game…I was done trying to help Clark Kent…as far as I’m concerned…he’s dead to me…

(Clark POV)

Saturday Night

I walked into The Daily Planet and sped to the basement. I saw Chloe at her desk talking to Lois. This should have been the first place I looked she’s always here. I walked toward her desk and she glanced in my direction. When she noticed me I saw her body tense up and I sighed inwardly. Apparently she wasn’t over what happened yesterday…but then again can I really blame her?

I hit her…I just…I was mad and I wasn’t paying attention and when I pushed my arm back to move her out of the way…I completely forget about my strength. When I saw the look that crossed her face last night…a part of me hated myself. She looked at me with pain that probably went deeper then I could even imagine.

Chloe has never once faltered in her loyalty to me and I betrayed her. After it happened I didn’t see fear in her eyes. I saw disappointment, pain, betrayal, and worry, but not fear and I was thankful for that. Lois must have seen that Chloe’s attention was somewhere else because she turned her head and glared in my direction.

“Well if it isn’t Cujo…come to bite my head off again?”

I rolled my eyes as I watched Chloe stand up and place a small hand on her arm. She spoke quietly to Lois before glancing back in my direction.

“Lois…please…don’t provoke…”

She sighed and sat in her chair with her arms folded over her chest. Chloe’s voice floated to my ears and I turned to her.

“Clark.”

I nodded in greeting. And spoke lightly.

“Hey Chlo. I called you a few times today…even stopped by the dorm…”

She looked away from me and shuffled some papers on her desk.

“I was busy today. It’s actually good you stopped my. Lois and I have an idea we think will help find the people who attacked your mom.”

“I’m all ears.”

She explained how the only connection between all the cases was the vigilante and how they had spent the day trying to find her only to come up empty. Then Lois said Chloe figured out a better way. We needed to make the vigilante come to us and the best way to do that was to plan a fake mugging with me as the mugger. I tell you…when Chloe puts her mind to something it’s very rarely not completed. I knew she’d be able to help. When they were finished talking I spoke up.

“So when are we heading out Chloe? We going down to suicide slums?”

She hesitated for a minute and spoke but didn’t meet my eye.

“Actually I have some things to do so Lois is going to go with you. You guys should probably get out there. We don’t want to waste anymore time then we already have.”

Lois gave Chloe an irritated look before going off and mumbling something about changing into more suitable clothes, which left Chloe and I alone. When I was sure Lois was out of hearing range I faced Chloe and spoke up.

“Chloe listen I know that…”

She cut me off, waved her hand to stop what I was saying and finally met my eyes. I didn’t like what I saw there. Her voice came out controlled but not nearly as friendly as I was used to.

“Listen to me closely Clark. I am hear helping you because the people who mugged you’re mom deserve to be caught and because I care about you. I’ll work with you and help you until this whole mess is cleaned up but you and I…we are not ok. Not even close. I know you’re hurting and I’m sorry that all this crap is happening to you, I wish I could take your pain away. But the way you’re handling everything is just…lets just say I’m really disappointed. I expected better from you Clark.”

She paused and I saw her eyes cloud over a bit as she spoke.

“You have been dealt a raw deal…but you have always tried to handle things…artfully…until now,” She shook her head, “You hurt me Clark…and I don’t mean physically. Even though being pushed into a desk isn’t pleasant it didn’t hurt nearly as much as my best friend being careless with my friendship and my well-being. Have Lois call me when the two of you get back to let me know how it went. I’ll see you later.”

I watched her gather her stuff and honestly…I didn’t know what to say to make her stay. There were a million things running through my head, but the only thought that really mattered was that Chloe was leaving me and it was all my fault. I pushed her to this…the only person who truly knows and trusts me left because I couldn’t control what’s inside of me…I could feel my body revolting with each step that took her further away from me.

The pain was tangible to me and my body physically hurt from the amount of pain I caused her. Oh god…what if this was it…what if Chloe left for good…I’ve never needed one person this much in my life…and now she didn’t even want to be around me…out of all the pain and anger I’ve been feeling there was always a bright spot in it with Chloe…But now…I could feel the darkness taking over and the last shred of hope…the only bright spot I had was slowly dwindling inside me…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)