May 11, 2009

One Event Chapter (2/6)


Chapter 3

Chapter 2
Next Day, School
(Chloe POV)




I adjusted my bag on my shoulder as I walked down the hallway to the Torch. I sighed as I opened the door and walked in. I placed my bag down and powered up the computers. I sat at my desk and as I waited for the computers to load; I leaned back, placed my head against my arm, and closed my eyes.

God I’m exhausted…who knew one tiny baby could make so much noise. I smiled softly as my mind drifted back to earlier this morning.

*Flashback*

I heard a loud noise in the distance and I scrunched my nose. I shifted and bumped into something hard. I frowned and opened my eyes to a tan cushion. A couch? What am I doing on the couch? I pulled myself into a sitting position as I glanced around the room.

My eyes landed on Clark, who was slouched sleeping in a chair across from the fire place. My ears finally distinguished the noise I was hearing as crying. I glanced to Clark’s right and saw a small cradle with the crying baby in it.

I could hear Clark snoring and I smiled. So I got up, walked over to the cradle and picked the baby up. I looked down and rocked him gently in my arms.

“Shhh…its okay sweetie…”

I moved into the kitchen, opened the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle. I turned on the stove and placed the bottle in the pot to heat up. As I rocked him back and forth in my arms I glanced out the window.

I moved closer to the window. The sky was just starting to light up and the array of colors was almost magical. I moved back over to the stove, took out the bottle and shut off the fire. I tested the formula on my arm and then moved back over to the window.

I stood there feeding the baby as I watched the sun rise and couldn’t quite help the images that roamed through my head. All night long Clark and I have been getting up taking turns with the baby…almost like a family. It sounds weird when I say it…but it feels almost natural.

I’ve never considered myself a baby person…but I’ve grown pretty attached to the little guy in the past 12 hours…it’s weird how quickly your outlook or perspective on things change. I felt a warm hand touch my shoulder and was startled out of my thoughts.

I turned slightly and found Clark standing there rubbing his eyes with one hand. I smiled.

“Hey.”

He gave me a sleepy smile.

“Morning. How long have you two been up?”

I shrugged.

“Not long, we were just watching the sunrise.”

I felt him move up behind me as he brushed his large hand against the babies head. His voice came out calm and peaceful when he spoke, like he didn’t have a care in the world.

“Wow…I can’t believe I forgot how beautiful sunrises were. When I was younger I used to camp out in the loft just to see the sun rise over the open fields.”

I was watching the expression on his face as he spoke and I could almost see the little boy inside him. He must have felt my eyes on him because he looked down and gave me a blinding smile as he sighed softly.

“I guess as we grow up we forget about the little things that meant so much to us.”

He shrugs and a soft gurgle brings our attention to the small bundle in my arms. Clark grins and tickles the baby lightly.

“You done eating little guy? Come here…”

Clark reached into my arms, took the baby and began burping him while we talked. About fifteen minutes later a throat being cleared got our attention. We turned and standing there in their robes was Mr. and Mrs. Kent. I smiled and waved slightly. Mrs. Kent gave me a warm smile and moved into the room.

“Good morning Chloe…Clark…and you too sweetheart.”

She patted the baby in Clark’s arms and then continued to the stove.

“You two must be hungry.”

I watched Clark nod as I stood to the side. I cleared my throat and Clark and Mr. Kent looked over at me. I gave them a sheepish smile and spoke softly.

“I should probably get home. We have school soon and I need to change and everything…”

“You sure you don’t want to stay Chloe, mom makes the best omelets…”

He trailed off and grinned at me. I smiled and shook my head.

“Thanks, but I should head out. I’ll see you at school okay?”

I moved over toward Clark and ran my hand lightly over the baby’s head as I spoke to him.

“Bye sweetie.”

I grinned up at Clark waved and he smiled back before I left through the kitchen door. It wasn’t until I was halfway down the stairs that I realized I didn’t have my car with me. Clark was driving me home when we found the baby last night.

I moved back up the stairs and poked my head inside. I could see Clark raise an eyebrow and me in a questioning gesture.

“Umm, I just remembered I don’t have my car here. Think you can give me a lift?”

He stood up, nodded and spoke to his parents.

“I’ll be right back.”

They nodded and we left. On the drive to my house it was quiet and I got a feeling of déjà vu. As we passed Evans field, both Clark and I glanced at the crater. I sighed and I caught him regarding me with concern.

“What’s wrong?”

I glanced at him before looking back out the window.

“Nothing, at the moment, things are…I don’t know. Really good.”

I watched him nod in agreement.

“Yeah, I get that. Listen, Chloe thanks for staying over last night and helping me out with the baby. You didn’t have to do that, so, I just…I appreciate it.”

“It’s really no problem. I had fun…in a sleep deprived sort of way.”

We chuckled as he pulled up to my house and put the truck in park. I got out and before closing the door grinned and spoke to him.

“I’ll see you in an hour or so.”

“I’ll see you later Chloe…”

I stood there and watched the tail end of the truck drive away. I felt light on my feet as I walked inside my house. I think that my feelings for Clark are…

Present Time

A loud voice knocked me out of my thoughts. I shook my head and looked it. Lana was standing there with a concerned look on her face. I smiled at her.

“Morning Lana.”

“You okay Chloe? I called you a few times.”

I nodded and stood up. I moved over to the filing cabinet to put away some papers.

“Yeah, sorry. I was thinking.”

I turned back around to face her.

“Have you talked to Clark yet today?”

She shook her head.

“No, why is everything okay?”

I nodded and sat back in front of the computer. I needed to look into this thing in Evans Field last night…check with my contacts and see if there were any accidents or emergency calls.

“Everything’s okay, but last night when Clark was driving me home from studying, there was a huge explosion in Evans Field.”

I watched Lana’s eyes go wide as she covered her mouth.

“Oh my god. Is everyone okay?”

“Well that’s the thing. No one was there. Well…not exactly no one. I went to go check out the explosion and found a huge crater and in the middle of it was a baby…”

“Seriously…that’s horrible. Who would do that to a baby…is it okay?”

I nodded.

“He’s fine, healthy as can be according to the Doctor.”

I grinned at her.

“I found an arrowhead in evans field once, but never a baby in a crater until last night.”

She chuckled lightly as she sat across from me.

“I can’t believe that. Well if you need any help looking into things, I volunteer. I hate to think of that poor baby being abandoned. How’s Clark taking everything?”

I smiled.
“It's actually really weird the way Clark is with him.””Let me guess -- he's completely baby-phobic.”

I shook my head quickly. ”Actually, it’s the complete opposite. You should see the look in his eyes when he's holding that baby. It's like he's completely at ease, not to mention he's a natural born baby burper.”

The voice behind me startled me from what I was saying.”I've got the spit-up stains to prove it. Sorry I'm late. I was trying to get the crying machine to quit crying, and every time I put him down or gave him to my parents, he started up again.”

I watched Lana fix her hair discreetly as she listened to Clark. She gave him an affectionate smile and spoke to him in a light voice.”Well, if you need help, I could come over tonight.”

Clark looked away from me and at her. I held my breath waiting for his answer.
“Thanks Lana, but I have Chloe helping me out. I don’t want to confuse him with too many people at once.”

I saw her nod but I could tell she was disappointed. Clark pulled the strap of his backpack higher and addressed me this time.

“You were coming by tonight, right?”

I nodded in confirmation. I mean technically even though we hadn’t made plans, I was going to stop by and check on the baby…

“Yes, I am coming by tonight.”

“Could you pick up some formula on the way?”

I nodded and grabbed some paper to write it down so I didn’t forget. I glanced at the computer screen and saw an incoming email before going back to the list.
“Sure. How are you on diapers?”

I saw him scrunch up his face in thought before speaking.
“The diapers, pretty good on those for now.”

Lana’s voice interrupted our conversation. She had a smile on her face but her voice seemed strange when she spoke.
“Wow, look at Smallvilles newest parents…making lists and talking about formula and diapers…”

Clark chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck as I sat down and opened the file on my computer. I was listening to it on low while they were talking and my eyes widened.

“Guys, oh my god…You might wanna hear this. I emailed some of my contacts about what happened in the field last night and my contact at emergency services got back to me. He ran a check of all the 911 calls made around the time that we found the baby and this one kinda stuck out.

I raised the volume and turned it on as we all faced the computer with concentration.
“What the hell's the matter with you people? It's an emergency!”
“It's too late! It's coming! It's coming! Aah!”Lana interjected in the gap where there was some screaming. Her voice came out low and there was a look of pain on her face.

“She sounds so scared.”

“No! No, don't leave me, please!”

Then there was nothing but a dial tone. Clark looked extremely perturbed and Lana looked a mix between angry and upset. She was the first one to speak.

“Did he just leave her there?”

“If he did, he might still be alive.”

I sighed. I hated to be the one giving bad news but someone had to say it…

“From the sounds of this, the mother wasn't as lucky.”

“She didn't even get to see her own baby.”

Confusion etched my face and I rubbed Clarks arm slightly to get his attention. He turned to face me and I spoke with confusion in my voice.

“But the baby survived. How is that possible?”

Clark leaned over me slightly while he looked at the computer screen.

“Can you trace this call back to the cell phone?”

“I can try.”

He nodded.

“If this is the father, he might have some answers for us.”

The bell rang and Lana stood up.

“Well I should get going to class…but if you need anything Clark, just let me know.”

He smiled.

“Thanks Lana.”

She nodded and left for class. When I noticed Clark wasn’t going anywhere I spun around slightly in my chair to face him. I raised and eyebrow and he smiled.

“What?”

“Nothing I was just thinking…if we find this guy and he takes the baby…I don’t know. It’s weird, but I’d miss him.”

I gave him half a smile.

“You know what…so would I and that’s even weirder.”

He chuckled and nodded.

“I’ll see you later Chloe.”

“Bye Clark.”

He walked out and I watched him leave. I’m surprised Clark turned down Lanas offer to help…he doesn’t usually do that…not that I’m not happy about it because believe me, I’m ecstatic. It’s just…odd. I guess it goes to show you things really are changing around here.

(Clark POV)

Later The Same Day

I jiggled the baby slightly in my arms as I tried to get him to take his bottle. Chloe called a little while ago and said she’d be here soon…

“What's the matter? What's the matter, little guy? Is your milk too cold? Huh? Here, try this. Try this, try this. Huh? Yeah? There you go. There you go.”

I heard someone come into the room. I glanced over and saw my mom. She came over and I saw her smiling at the baby as she spoke.

“Clark, I could easily get Chelsea to cover for me at The Talon. You don't have to stay home.”

“That's okay. I want to stay with him. Besides Chloe is going to be here soon to help me out. We’ll be fine.”

She gave me a knowing smile and nodded.
“Okay.”

I wasn’t sure I liked that smile so I cleared my throat and changed the subject.

“It kind of changes your perspective when you have someone who depends on you for everything.”

“Yeah.”

My nose started to twitch a little bit. Uhg man…super senses aren’t great at a time like this…I chuckled lightly.

“And I mean everything. Could you hand me a diaper?”

She laughed before handing me one.

“Here you go. Well, listen; you have my number at The Talon, and your Dad's out in the barn if you need him.”

“Okay.”

“Have fun.”

I rolled my eyes in good humor as I laid the baby down on the table.

“Yeah. Okay.”

I started to change him when I heard a voice behind me.

“Clark Kent, changing diapers like a pro.”

I grinned. I could hear the smile in Chloe’s voice as I finished up my task.

“You know, all this baby stuff is easier than people say. I think I pretty much got it under control. Nice aim, little guy.”

She moved in and laughed at the baby’s attempt to pee on me. She played with his fingers as she spoke to me.

“Clark, we can't keep calling him little guy and sweetheart. They're gonna make fun of him when he gets to high school.”

I scrunched up my brows as I picked him up and passed him to Chloe. I threw out the dirty diaper and came back over by them.

“Well, um... we found him in Evans Field. Why don't we call him Evan?”

She smiled and cooed at the baby.

“I think he likes it. Hello, Evan. This is Clark, and I'm Chloe. And we think that you're the most beautiful baby ever.”

I watched her smiling at him and I noticed something I don’t think I’ve seen in her eyes in a long time. Love…she looked natural with him and it made me see her in a new light. Chloe has always been my best friend…and there has always been sort of an attraction there…but one or both of us has always backed away from it…

I’m not really sure why, but I think it’s because we are both afraid of ruining the relationship that we have. Chloe is so important to me…especially since I told her my secret and she now knows the real me…she treats me the same as she always has and I don’t think she knows how much that means to me.

I might be a little young to think this…but lately when I look at Chloe with Evan…I wonder what it would be like if he was ours…if we were together…it’s crazy…and I don’t even think I’m fully over Lana yet…but I can’t help it…Her laughter brought me out of my thoughts and I frowned.

We really needed to start looking at this for what it was. Soon they were going to come take Evan away…the two of us have to look at this situation rationally.

“You know, Chloe, maybe we should take a step back.”

She gave me a confused look as I took the baby from her to go lay him down.

“Step back from what”

“Well, maybe we shouldn't get so attached. I mean, if his father's still alive…”

She cut me off and there was a slight tinge of anger in her voice. I could tell it wasn’t directed at me but the situation.

“Then he never should've left him in that field.”

She’s right…but sometimes things happen…

“Chloe, we don't know what happened. He could've gone for help. He could be looking for Evan right now.”

She nodded, but then shrugged. Her voice grew a bit intense as she held onto my arm.

“Or maybe he isn't. Maybe Evan is an orphan, just like you were. Clark, things like this don't just happen. There's a reason he survived and that someone like you found him.”
I sighed. Maybe she was right…

“We found him.”

She grinned and I smiled. I was about to say something else when the lights in the house started flickering and there was a weird light coming fro inside Evan’s bassinet. I watched Chloe’s eyes get big as she went to go over. I grabbed her arm and held her to me.

I moved slightly into the room and called out.

“Evan?” Chloe’s voice seemed panicked when she spoke.

“Clark, what's happening?”

My Dad ran inside and glanced over. When the light faded the three of us were in shock at what we saw…

“Clark, wha—oh my god.”

2 comments:

  1. AWW the cute parents taking care of the baby. I need more, plz update!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana-

    The story is finished. Just click on chapter 3 at the top of the page. :-) Have a great night!

    -Corina

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)