May 11, 2009

One Event Chapter (3/6)


Chapter 4


Chapter 3 Part A
(Chloe POV)



My hands clutched the soft blue blanket as I sat on the kitchen chair staring out the window. I could hear people bustling around the Kent farm, police officers asking Mr. and Mrs. Kent questions, and the Sheriff talking to Clark. It didn’t matter, nothing mattered. Evan was gone.

*Flashback*



I reached into the bowl with two wooden spoons and tossed the salad as Mrs. Kent seasoned the roast. I glanced over and saw Clark sitting at the kitchen table with Evan on his lap reading him a book. I grinned. I can’t believe how big Evan is…

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard Clarks voice. I raised an eyebrow.

“Hmm…what’d you say?”

I could see concern flitter across his face for a second before it disappeared and he smiled.

“I said Evan wants you to come over here and read with us.”

I smiled and brought the salad bowl with me over to the table. I sat next to them and Evan reached out his arms to me while he babbled in my direction. I laughed slightly and took him from Clark. I was playing with him when Mr. Kent came inside from working in the fields.

“Clark, I need your help with the tractor son.”

I glanced over as Clark got up and followed his dad outside. I stood and moved into the kitchen with Evan. Mrs. Kent smiled in our direction as she finished up dinner. She was getting the ice tea out of the fridge when she spoke to me in a light voice.

“So, things seem to be going well with Evan.”

I smiled and nodded.

“Yeah, he’s such a good baby…well not a baby anymore but thanks to Lex this is the last growth spurt he’ll be having for a while.”

I smiled and Mrs. Kent nodded. The next time she spoke her voice had an odd tone to it that I couldn’t quite place.

“Child Services will probably have a place for him soon…”

She let her comment trail off and I felt my hands tighten on Evan of their own accord.

“Mmm Hmmm”

She stopped what she was doing and turned in my direction with a concerned look on her face.

“Chloe, sweetheart…I think that it’s time we all sat down and discussed this situation. I think it’s wonderful how you and Clark have stepped up and taken care of Evan, but I don’t think you two have thought about the consequences of becoming so attached to him.”

I sighed. I knew this was coming. Mr. and Mrs. Kent have been dropping subtle hints for the past two days about becoming “attached” to Evan. I don’t see anything wrong with how Clark and I are with him…he needs someone to take care of him…there was a reason we found him…

“I know. I think I’m going to wash up for dinner. Can you watch him until I come back down?”

She had a frown on her face, but she nodded.

“Of course.”

I placed Evan in his play pen, handed him his blue blanket and waved in his direction with a smile before going upstairs to wash my hands. I walked into the bathroom, turned on the water, and as I was washing my hands I heard a loud crash and yelling from downstairs.

I stopped what I was doing and ripped open the door. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest as I took the stairs two at a time. I felt like I was moving in slow motion. I finally hit the last step and rounded the corner right as Clark and Mr. Kent were coming through the kitchen door.

I glanced by the stove and saw Mrs. Kent on the floor. I gasped and covered my mouth with my hand.

“Oh my god…”

We all moved over to make sure she was okay. Clark’s voice was semi-frantic when he spoke.

“Mom…mom can you hear me? Are you okay?”

I heard her groan slightly so I moved over to the freezer to grab some ice. I heard Mr. Kent talking while I wrapped the ice in a towel.

“Martha, what happened?”

I turned around and handed the towel to Clark who placed it by his moms head and waited for her to take it. Mr. Kent moved her so she was sitting on the kitchen stool. We stood around her waiting for her to tell us what happened.

“Two men…they had some kind of powers…they were yelling about something…they mentioned Clark…before I could hear anything else the third one hit me…”

She trailed off and Clark squeezed her arm slightly while Mr. Kent stood with his arm around her. I could see a frown on Clarks face as he spoke.

“What did they want?”

“I don’t know…”

I glanced away from Mrs. Kent for a minute and my eye caught the playpen in the corner. My hand grasped onto the counter making my knuckles white and my mouth opened slightly. I could almost feel the color drain from my face. I felt a warm hand on my arm as Clark spoke in a concerned voice.

“Chloe…what’s wrong?”

I glanced up at Clark and spoke with a slight tremor in my voice.

“Clark…where’s Evan?”

Clark’s head whipped around and he walked over to the empty playpen. I moved over by him and I felt a breeze. When I looked up he was gone and then a few seconds later he was standing there again.

“He isn’t in the house anywhere. Mom the guys who were here…did you see them take Evan?”

She shook her head as I bent down and picked up his blanket. Oh god…they took Evan…

Present

A warm hand touching my shoulder jerked me out of my thoughts. I glanced up at Clark as he gave me a sympathetic look before speaking to the sheriff.

“It’s been a really long night Sheriff. Do you think we can maybe answer the rest of your questions tomorrow? This is hard for us and my mom should get some rest.”

I watched her nod as she cleared everyone out of the house. She came over and patted my arm.

“We’ll find the little tyke Miss Sullivan, Mr. Kent, if you remember anything don’t hesitate to give us a call.”

We nodded and Mr. Kent closed the door behind her. He moved over to Mrs. Kent and I watched there interaction.

“Come on Martha, we should get o bed.”

She wiped her eyes and covered her mouth.

“I should have been watching more carefully, I should have called for Clark…and now…”

Clark went over to her and hugged her.

“It isn’t your fault mom. Just get some rest. We need to make sure your head is okay.”

I couldn’t make out the comforting words that Mr. Kent was whispering to Mrs. Kent while they headed upstairs, but I knew whatever he was saying wouldn’t help, not if she was feeling the way I was right now.

Maybe they were right all along. Clark and I were too young to be trying to take care of Evan…if he was with people who were more responsible…then he wouldn’t have been taken. I shouldn’t have just left him alone like that…

“Chloe…CHLOE…”

I glanced up and Clark could see the water brimming from my eyes. He sighed, stretched out his arm, yanked me into a standing position, and pulled me into his arms. I felt them tighten around me and after a couple of seconds I wrapped my arms around him and the dam broke.

I felt his strong hands rubbing my back as he whispered softly to me.

“Shhh…it’s going to be okay Chlo, we’ll find him. I promise…I’m so sorry for not being there today…I’m sorry I didn’t save him…”

I could hear a slight hitch in Clark’s voice. I moved my head off his shoulder and looked into his eyes. I could see the guilt there. I tilted my head slightly as my hand came up to his cheek.

“Clark Kent you listen to me, and listen good. This is not your fault. There’s no way you could have known this was going to happen. We just need to get ourselves together and do a little research. We need to figure out why these guys came after you, but more importantly why they took Evan.”

I saw him look away from me, but I moved his face back towards me as my eyes watered back up and I spoke in a soft voice.

“Clark, please. Don’t let the guilt eat at you right now. I need you…I need you to be strong for me…for Evan…you were right when you said we’d find him. I know we will, I mean come on…this is us…we always get our guy…”

I saw a small smile form on his lips. He leaned over and kissed the top of my head and pulled me to him in a hug. I rested my head on his shoulder with my arms around him. I could feel his breathe on my ear as he spoke.

“What would I do without you Chloe?”

I grinned lightly.

“Shrivel up and die?”

“I mean it. You mean a lot more to me then you know. These past few days…with Evan...and you…they’ve been special. It’s been nice to not have to hide who I am with the people I care about most. It was like…I don’t know…I wasn’t alone.”

I felt him take a deep breathe and I held him tighter as I whispered to him.

“You’ll never be alone Clark…you’ll always have me…”

It was his turn to tighten his grip on me as he placed his head between my neck and shoulder. I don’t think he realizes how much he means to me either…

(Clark POV)

I could feel my hands rubbing Chloe’s back…and it felt good. She felt good. What is wrong with me? Evan is gone…who knows where they have him or what they are doing to him and for some reason I can’t stop thinking of just grabbing Chloe and kissing her.

Which in and of itself is one of the craziest thoughts I’ve ever had because; well Chloe’s my best friend. Nothing else…she pulled away from me slightly so she was looking at me and I could have sworn I saw something in her eyes flicker.

I rubbed her arm and I could feel my body moving into her. My face was getting lower by the second and the voice inside my head was screaming 'what are you doing…this is bad….stop…'

I could feel her warm breathe on my lips and just as my lips gently grazed hers there was a loud knock on the kitchen door that broke us out of the spell. Chloe’s eyes opened and she stepped out of my arms with a confused look on her face.

I moved back and cleared my throat as I glanced up at the door where I saw Lex opening it and walking in with Lana behind him. Lex was the first one to break the silence.

“As soon as I heard what happened we left Metropolis. I’m so sorry…”

Chloe moved over in there direction as she wiped her eyes. I watched as Lex gave her a kiss on the cheek and embraced her in a short hug before she made her way over to Lana. I could hear Chloe starting to cry again as they spoke.

Lex made his way over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder.

“How are you holding up Clark?”

I rubbed my face and shook my head.

“Not great. My mom was hurt, but she’ll be fine. Evan…he’s all alone with strangers…and the worst part is not knowing if he’s okay or not.”

I glanced back at the girls who had moved over by the table. Chloe was speaking low as Lana was turning on the tea kettle listening to what she was saying. I moved closer to Lex and lowered my voice before speaking again.

“I’m worried. I didn’t see the guys who came here so I don’t know who they are, or what they were after. My mom said they were looking for me. God…this is all my fault. My mom getting hurt, Evan being taken…Chloe…I’ve never seen her this upset before.”

“Clark, this isn’t your fault. I’ve informed my security team about what’s been going on. I have also hired the best P.I. in Metropolis to help us find Evan. If he is out there, we’ll find him. I won’t rest until we find him, and I know Lana won’t either.”

I faced Lex and gave him a tired smile.

“Thank you Lex…you don’t know what this means to me.”

He nodded.

“I think I understand. It’s hard to loose a child…the way you and Chloe care for Evan…”

He trailed off before continuing.

“Don’t worry Clark…these people obviously want something, which means Evan is still alive. You’ll get him back and the people who did this will be held accountable for their actions…”

I nodded as I watched Lana trying to comfort Chloe. I’ve never had so many conflicting emotions at once before…on one hand Chloe and I were so lucky to have such great friends, who were willing to spend their time helping us find Evan.

On the other hand, when did Chloe and I become Chloe and I? I know she’s my best friend, but ever since we found Evan my feelings toward her have been changing…on top of that I’m scared for Evan, but I also feel bad because even though I’m worried I can’t stop thinking about Chloe…

We almost kissed…I almost kissed her…I’m not sure what’s going on with us, but I am sure that when this is all over and we have Evan back…I want to find out…


48 Hours Earlier

(Chloe POV)

I was in the kitchen pacing back and forth while Clark spoke with his dad. I glanced over at the playpen where Evan was playing with one of Clark’s olds toys. Not only did that bright light from earlier knock out half the power in the house…but it aged Evan about two years.

That’s right. The adorable little baby, key word there baby, that Clark and I found a couple of days ago was now two years old. I sighed and rubbed my hands together. I heard Mrs. Kent clearing her throat and I turned.

She gave me a light smile, moved over and gave me half a hug. Her voice was calm when she spoke.

“You okay Chloe?”

I nodded.

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine. I just…wow you know? I mean I know this is Smallville, but even this is weird for here.”

She nodded.

“Why don’t you take Evan to the loft? I think we still have some of Clark’s old toys out there. I’m sure Evan would love that.”

I nodded. She was right. I know that Clark wanted to talk to his parents about what happened and even though Evan was only two I didn’t want him to overhear anything that could be upsetting. I walked over to the playpen and he grinned in my direction.

I watched him reach out his arms and screech.

“Ahhhhh….mama…”

I froze. My head glanced at Clark who had already stopped talking to his father and was moving in our direction. His voice came out with a hint of awe in it.

“Did he just…”

I nodded.

“Yeah…”

I could see Clark smile at me and motion to the little boy who was waving his arms in my direction trying to get me to pick him up. Wow…okay a part of me is feeling so mushy right now that all I want to do is pick him up and hug him to death…

The other part of me, the more sane part that says I’m only 17 and I’m getting myself in way too deep is screaming for me to run as far as I can in the opposite direction. A stuffed toy hitting me in the leg knocked me out of my thoughts.

I shook my head and glanced back at Evan. I smiled. He was looking at me waiting. I finished walking over and picked him up. I tickled him lightly under the chin and he giggled.

“Silly boy, throwing toys at me. Come on; let’s go to the loft and play.”

I started to walk out when Clark’s voice stopped me.

“You two gonna be okay?”

“Yes, we’ll be fine. Right Evan?”

He just cooed and I smiled at Clark before walking out the kitchen door, into the barn, and up to the loft.

(Clark POV)

I watched them walk out with a smile on my face. Chloe is so good with him…I can’t believe he spoke…for a minute Chloe looked like she was going to bolt out of the door when Evan called her mama. My mother’s voice broke my train of thought.

“Hmm?”

She sighed.

“Clark explain to me again what happened last night?”

I turned to her and my Dad and shrugged with a slight frown on my face.

"I've never seen anything like it. Last night, he was just a baby and now…well you saw him.”

My Dad glanced at my mom and spoke.

“His growth spurt was really amazing.”

I could already see the look beginning to turn sour on my Mother’s face. It didn’t look like she thought this was amazing…and it looked like she was going to tell us that right now. Her voice came out with a tinge of worry to it.

“And frightening. Evan needs to be seen by a doctor. We have to take him back to the hospital.”

I frowned at her. Was she crazy? How would we explain this to a bunch of doctor’s? When I spoke my voice came out angrier then I initially planned it to.

“What are we gonna tell the doctors? He's some second-generation meteor freak? He'll either wind up in Belle Reve or a laboratory for the rest of his life.”

My Dad placed a hand on my shoulder to try and calm me down but I shrugged it off as he spoke.

“I don't know, Clark, but we owe it to him to do something.”

I sighed. I know that…and ever since this happened last night I’ve been thinking. Evan can’t go to a regular doctor…but I think I know a friend who can help us. I cleared my throat to get my parents attention. When they were both looking at me with curious eyes I spoke.

“I was thinking we'd take him to someone who has experience in the effects of meteor rock.”

When it hit my Dad who I meant I watched his head turn toward my mom as he shook it. He glanced at me and titled his head slightly as he rubbed his face before speaking.

“Clark, I realize that Lex has helped us in the past, but there's no way that I'm about to put this young boys life in his hands.”

I hardened my stance and looked my Dad dead in the eye. This wasn’t his decision, it was mine and Chloe’s and I’ve already made it. The only person I needed permission from was Chloe and I know that she feels the same way as me.

She would do anything to help Evan, to make sure he was okay, and so would I. My voice was firm but not mean when I spoke.

“If I was in trouble, and Lex was the only one who could help, what would you do?”

I watched them look at each other and then sigh. That was as close as I was going to come to getting their permission. I nodded and walked out of the kitchen to call Lex before I went to go find Chloe and Evan.

I pulled out my cell phone as I walked toward the barn, and dialed Lex’s number. It rang three times before it was finally answered.

“Hello.”

“Lex, it’s Clark.”

“How are you Clark?”

I sighed.

“I could be better. Listen, I need your help Lex.”

He must have heard the seriousness in my voice because I heard something squeak and his voice was calm but serious when he spoke.

“What’s going on Clark? Is everything alright?”

“Two nights ago, I was driving Chloe home and there was a huge explosion in Evans field. Chloe being Chloe decided to get out of the car to see what had happened.”

I paused at Lex’s chuckle and then continued.

“Well thank god she did. We found a baby Lex. He couldn’t have been more then a couple of hours old. We brought him to the hospital, had him checked out, and now he’s staying at the farm until child services can find a place for him.”

I took a breath and when Lex spoke I could clearly hear the confusion in his voice.

“That’s an amazing story Clark. Thank god you two were around, but I’m not exactly understanding what it is you need my help with.”

I nodded even though he couldn’t see it.

“I’m getting there. It turn’s out that Evan, that’s what we named him, is second generation meteor infected. Something happened last night…he had…the only thing I can describe it as is a major growth spurt. He’s no longer a two day old baby…but a two-year-old boy.”

The line was quiet for a couple of seconds before Lex finally spoke.

“That’s amazing Clark…where is Evan now?”

“He’s in the loft with Chloe. I can’t take him back to the hospital with all the crazy things that go on in this town I’m afraid they’ll stick him in Belle Reve or something. I can’t let that happen to him. I need someone I trust to figure out what’s wrong with him…will you help us Lex?”

I held my breath slightly waiting for his answer. When he spoke I’ve never heard his voice more sincere then it was at that moment.

“Absolutley Clark. I’ll contact the best scientists and researchers I know and have them here today. Give me two hours to get everything together and then bring Evan over. We’ll figure out what’s going on…you have my word.”

I smiled. I knew I could count on Lex. He is always there waiting for the truth, waiting for me to ask for his help…to be honest with him…well here is my chance…

“Thanks Lex. You don’t know how much this means to me and Chloe. I just need to let her in on the plan first…”

This time I heard Lex laughing outright.

“You haven’t told her yet?”

“No?”

“Well I’ll let you go do that while I contact the people we need. I’ll see you soon.”

“Bye Lex.”

I clamped the phone shut as I walked into the barn. I could hear Chloe’s voice floating down as she read to Evan.

"You must be very kind to him, to teach him all he needs to know in rabbit land. For he is going to live with us forever and ever."

I could hear Evan cooing in the background and I smiled. I walked up the stairs and just watched them for a second. Chloe was sitting on the couch with her feet underneath her. Evan was in front of her with his back leaning on her chest as she held the book in front of both of them.

He was grabbing at the book every time she turned the page. She would chuckle and then continue reading. She looks so natural with him…my heart started to beat faster and I couldn’t help but wonder if this is what she’d look like with her own children.

She’s beautiful…why didn’t I ever notice it before? I heard a squeal that knocked me out of my thoughts. I glanced at Evan who had spotted me and smiled.

“Da….Da….dadaadadad…”

Chloe chuckled as I moved off the stairs and into the loft.

“Hey there little guy.”

I bent down so I was at his level and tickled him a little. I could feel Chloe’s eyes on me as she spoke.

“It’s weird isn’t it?”

I glanced at her with a questioning look. She motioned towards Evan.

“Him calling you that. When he said mama…it terrified me…but at the same time….”

I cut in and finished her sentence.

“Was exactly what you wanted to hear?”

She shrugged and looked down, but I saw the slight red tinge of her cheeks and I smiled. I touched her hand lightly and rubbed it for a second before standing back up.

“I get it.”

She placed Evan on the floor and he immediately grabbed the book she was reading and started chewing on it. I watched Chloe grin at him before glancing up at me. She huffed slightly and spoke in a low voice.

“So, what’s the verdict?”

“We need someone to look over Evan, make sure everything is okay.”

I watched her nod.

“I agree, but Clark, I’m worried. I don’t want to take him back to the hospital. What if they take him and…and they won’t give him back.”

She was looking down when she spoke so I kneeled to her level, took a finger and propped up her chin. I could see the worry on her face. I spoke in a gentle voice.

“We aren’t going to let that happen because we aren’t taking Evan to the hospital.”

She raised an eyebrow and I took a deep breath.

“We’re going to take him to Lex. Hear me out before you say anything. Lex has resources that we don’t and I know we have all had our issues in the past, but I trust Lex Chloe. Evan needs to be looked at and we’ll be there the whole time and…”

She waved a hand in front of my face and her words cut me off.

“Clark, relax. I think it’s a good idea.”

I frowned slightly.

“You do?”

She chuckled, moved forward and pulled me up onto the couch with her. I smiled and placed a friendly arm around her shoulders as she leaned into me. She motioned her head in Evans direction and spoke quietly.

“I trust you Clark; don’t you know that by now? If you think taking Evan to Lex is the best idea then I’m with you. Lex has his moments, but you bring out the good in him. He is always waiting for you to let him in, to trust him. Maybe you can’t tell him your secret, but you can be honest with him about this. I’m sure you asking him for help made him feel good.”

Chloe is smarter then she looks…not that she doesn’t look smart…she’s right. I could hear it in Lex’s voice when we spoke on the phone. I just hope he can help him…

I felt Chloe sigh against me as she watched Evan playing on the floor in front of us. I stretched my legs out slightly and relaxed my body. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this calm…this peaceful. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes as I spoke to Chloe.

“Lex said to meet him at the mansion in about two hours, so I guess until then we can just relax.”

I could feel the heat of her body through my shirt as she snuggled closer to me.

“I’m sleephy…”

I chuckled slightly as I heard her muffled voice against my shirt. Evan looked up at us and he must have liked what he saw because he grinned and squealed out

“DA….”

I waved and he crawled over. When he got to the edge of the couch he held on and stood up. My eyes widened as I leaned down slightly to whisper in Chloe’s ear.

“Chloe…”

“Hmm”

I glanced at her quickly not wanting to take my eyes off of Evan for to long. Her eyes were closed and her nose twitched slightly.

“Chloe, Evan is standing up.”

Her eyes popped open as she spoke.

“What?”

I pointed and we watched as he held onto the couch and walked sideways until he bumped into my leg. He started hitting hit with his hand as he babbled loudly. Chloe grinned.

“Look at you walking baby boy! Come up here.”

Evan reached out his hands and Chloe leaned down and brought him up so he was sitting on my lap and she was back in her position against my chest. I watched him yawn as he put his head down on me mimicking Chloe.

I watched them playing softly until Evan’s breathing evened out and he was snoring slightly. I glanced at Chloe and was about to say something when I saw her eyes fluttering closed. I smiled. I looked around for a second before my eyes landed on a blanket on the side of the couch.

I leaned down, picked it up, and with my free hand spread it across Chloe, Evan and me. I let my body sink into the couch as I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. I tightened my arm around Chloe and I felt her sigh as she moved her arm around Evan and me.

I smiled. I don’t think that there is anything better then this feeling, right here; right now…There isn’t anyone in the world I trust more then Chloe, aside from my parents of course. I’m glad I told her my secret…

I let myself drift off to sleep thinking for just a minute that Chloe and Evan were both mine…my family…my girlfriend….my son….and in that moment I could stay here forever with them….

(Lana POV)

I took a deep breath and knocked on the kitchen door to the Kent farm. I hope Clark is here…I mean he can’t really go far with a baby. I wonder if Chloe is still helping him out...I don’t know why that bothers me so much…I mean Chloe and I are friends and so are me and Clark…

But…I think I want more…when I saw him with Chloe, all the attention he was paying to her, and the fact that he kind of blew me off…it might have made me slightly jealous. And if I was going to have a shot with Clark again I needed to let him know how I felt…

Mrs. Kent opened the door and seemed a little shocked to see me but not unhappy. She smiled.

“Lana, what a nice surprise. What are you doing here?”

“I came over to see how Clark was, also to see if he needed any help with the baby.”

She motioned for me to come in and she shut the door behind me.

“Would you like a drink?”

I shook my head.

“No thanks. Is he around?”

Before she could say anything Mr. Kent came barreling through the door wiping grease of his hands with a cloth.

“Martha they’ve been up there for a while, maybe we should make sure everything is okay.”

He glanced up with a look of surprise before looking at Mrs. Kent. I watched a look pass between them before Mr. Kent smiled at me and spoke.

“Hello Lana. How are you?”

“Fine Mr. Kent, and yourself?”

He nodded.

“I’m doing well. What brings you out here?”

They were acting sort of strange…I looked between them before speaking.

“Umm, I came by to see Clark. I wanted to let him know if he needed any help with the baby that I was around.”

I watched him nod.

“Well Evan isn’t exactly a baby anymore but I’m sure Clark would appreciate the help.”

I frowned.

“Evan? And what do you mean not a baby anymore?”

Mrs. Kent came around and touched my arm.

“They named the baby Evan. It turns out that he is second generation meteor infected. He has the ability to age overnight.”

I gasped as my hand covered my mouth.

“Oh my god…is he okay? What does this mean? How is Clark taking it?”

I watched Mr. Kent shrug.

“They’re worried. We were just going to check on them. You can come with us and talk to Clark and Chloe yourself if you’d like. I’m sure they’ll be happy to have a friend around.”

I meat Mr. Kent’s eyes as I spoke.

“Chloe is still here?”

He nodded.

“Oh…”

There was an uncomfortable silence for a couple of minutes before Mrs. Kent broke it.

“Well why don’t we go out into the barn. I think they took Evan up to the loft.”

I nodded and we headed that way. Once we got in the barn Mr. Kent called out to Clark a few times but there was no answer. I frowned. That’s weird. The three of us made out way up the stairs to the loft and what I saw stopped me dead in my tracks.

I watched Mrs. Kent’s face soften as she leaned against Mr. Kent as he smiled warmly at the three figures on the couch.

Clark took up a good portion of the couch. Leaning back with his legs stretched out in front of him. Evan was sleeping on Clark’s stomach and Chloe was against his side with her head on his chest and her arm over both Clark and Evan.

I felt the water gather in my eyes. He looked so serene, like he didn’t have a care in the world, which was very unlike Clark Kent. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him this relaxed before…not even when he was with me.

My breath hitched and I took a couple of steps back when the realization hit me. I was already too late…it doesn’t matter if I love Clark…because he’s already moved on. He loves someone else…and not just anyone else, but Chloe…who has loved him for as long as I could remember.

There wasn’t anymore room for me in his heart, because it’s full of her…I think in some way it always has been. He’s always been more honest with Chloe then me…I never really took the time to wonder why that is….

Now I have my answer…I turned away from the sight because it was making my heart ache. I whispered something about having to go to the Kent’s before running down the stairs and out of the barn.

I was running to my car as the tears started to fall. I was running away from Clark, away from Chloe, and away from a baby that was somehow able to finally open Clark’s eyes to a truth that everyone but him had known. I was running away from everything else that was no longer mine…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)