August 11, 2009

A Family Is Born (1/13)



Chapter 2

Title: A Family Is Born
Season: Season 1-2
Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Everything belongs to the ABC Family and the Creators of Secret Life.
Couples: Amy/Ricky…eventually
Category: Multi-Chapter



Chapter 1
“The Big One”
(Amy POV)



I held John in one arm as I dumped the open can of soup into the pot. I weaved in and out of Johns toys that were in the kitchen, making my way to the sink so I could fill the can with water. I sighed. Things just never get any easier…I made my way back over to the stove and as I was pouring the water into the pot I heard the kitchen door opened.

“So…looks like you’ve got everything under control.”

Hmmm, maybe Ashley could help me out. I turned toward the open door and Ashley was standing there giving me a tight smile. I glanced down at John as I rocked him before looking up as Ashley spoke again. She motioned toward the door.

“So do you want to come say goodbye to Mimsy? We’re just hanging out with her and her friend.”

I wrapped my arms around John and continued bouncing him as I spoke.

“Do I want to go over there…do you think she could come over here with her friend?”

She glanced around the kitchen before looking back at me. Her voice held a hint of amusement when she spoke.

“It’s kind of a mess over here.”

Yeah, tell me something I don’t know. I wish there was more time in a day so I could get everything cleaned up. I walked toward Ashley as I glanced around the kitchen.

“Yeah, I know that…”

My voice trailed off as I reached for some empty bottles on the counter. I gave her a hopeful look.

“You wanna help me out?”

She rolled her eyes slightly and took a step back.

“Amy if I help you out you’ll never learn to do this on your own…”

When I didn’t say anything she sighed.

“And then I’ll just be a teenage mother enabler.”

I gave her a look before looking down at John. I glanced back up and she pursed her lips.

“Bye.”

She turned, walked toward the door, and before leaving whipped around and spoke.

“Oh, and I think mom adds milk to the soup…not water.”

That’s right, because god forbid I do anything right. I glared at her as she walked out.

“Thanks…a lot…”

The door slammed shut and I sighed again. I walked around the counter, placed John in his carrier and spoke to him in a soft voice.

“Alright, I am just going to put you down right here…and then I’m going to finish making the soup, and then give you a bath, and then read you chapter 27 in world history. The Decline of the Roman Empire.”

I went over to the counter and was about to start some folding while the soup cooked when the door opened. I glanced up as my mom walked in.

“There you are.”

“Here I am.”

“You’re late and I’ve been busy doing all this stuff. Oh, and I cooked dinner. Soup.”

She placed her bag down and looked at me.

“Soup and…”

I shrugged lightly.

“Just soup.”

“Well I can go pick something up…”

I frowned and cut her off.

“Why? Why would you go pick something up?”

“Because you as a new mother should be eating more than soup for dinner.”

“I ate a turkey wrap this afternoon after school.”

She let out a frustrated sigh. I really wish she would see that I’m trying…

“Well I didn’t. I’ve just had an apple. That’s all I’ve had since lunch.”

I nodded.

“Good.”

“Meaning?”

Uh oh...I shook my head.

“Nothing…just good.”

“Look Amy if you have something to say why don’t you just come out and say it.”

“Uhh…I...I read in this article…when women reach your age their metabolism starts slowing down…”

She stared at me and I tried to save myself, which has been becoming a regular occurrence lately.

“Not that yours has slowed down or anything…”

“Uh huh…”

“But it could at any time so I thought we’d just have soup.”

“In case my metabolism comes to a dead halt tonight?”

She glared at me and walked away, but right before she got out of the room she turned back around, grabbed her purse and walked away again. I frowned noticing the brown paper bag that was sticking out of her purse. Oh god…please don’t let it be what I’ve been thinking it is…I don’t think we can handle another baby in this family right now…

I called out to her.

“Mom.”

She stopped abruptly and turned. Her voice was tense.

“Amy.”

“What’s in the briefcase?”

“What?”

“What’s in the briefcase…what’s in that brown paper bag?”

I crossed my arms over my chest and her voice came out defensive.

“Who wants to know?”

I glared at her.

“I want to know. It’s not…”

I trailed off and she spread her arms.

“What?”

“Nothing…”

Her voice was louder this time.

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Mom…you’re gaining weight…you’re tired all the time. Your hands and feet are swollen. You’re not…”

She cut me off.

“I don’t know…That’s why I have an early pregnancy test in my briefcase.”

I knew it…I did, but hearing it was so much harder. How are we going to get through this? I can barely handle John, school, work and studying with my moms help. How are we going to add another baby to the mix? I did the only thing I could do at the moment. I lashed out.

“Early pregnancy test?”

“Well they don’t make late pregnancy tests.”

“I knew it…how can you be pregnant at your age?”

She rolled her eyes.

“I don’t know.”

“Mom!”

“Well I would rather be pregnant then be fat and eat soup every night.”

She stormed out of the hall and left me standing there. I ran a hand through my hair. I didn’t mean to yell at her like that. I’m just so lost right now…nothing’s going the way it should be…I guess I need to start getting used to that…Johns wails brought me out of my thoughts. I sighed and walked back into the kitchen.

“It’s okay John…mommy’s here.”

I picked him up and started to gently rock him before going over to the stove and turning off the soup. I stood in the middle of the kitchen just looking around as I rocked him. The house is a mess…and if mom’s pregnant it’s only going to get worse…

I heard footsteps and turned to see my mom come back in the room. I raised an eyebrow and tried to keep the attitude out of my voice. I’m mad at the situation not her…

“Well?”

“Well…I’m not fat.”

“Whose is it?”

She gave me a disappointed look.

“That’s the first thing you’re going to say to me? Whose is it…?”

“I don’t know what to say! And I want to know whose it is.”

“Amy I think I’m going to tell the father before I tell you.”

Oh here we go…her whole no more secrets thing obviously only applies to me…great…

“Oh, thanks. I thought we were close. I thought we weren’t keeping secrets from each other anymore.”

She looked at me blankly so I continued.

“Mother and daughter bonding. Two mothers bonding…is it dads or is it David’s?”

“Amy…”

I was getting frustrated.

“Come on!”

“You told Ben before you told me. In fact you told everyone before you told me.”

“Fine. Who’s going to tell Mimsy? Who’s going to tell your mother? She could come back over here any minute.”

“Yeah I doubt it. She loves spending time with your father. Besides, I’m going to tell Mimsy when I’m ready to tell Mimsy.”

“See…now you know where I was coming from.”

She sighed, through up her hands in frustration and left the room. Ugh…she always does that. I placed John back in his carrier, turned the stove back on, and finished making the soup. When it was done I took it off the stove and spooned it out into two bowls. I placed one bowl in the microwave so it stayed warm and I took the other one over to the table.

I sat down and looked at John sticking his fingers into his mouth. I gave him a small smile.

“Are you eating your fingers? Silly baby.”

I ate a couple of mouthfuls of soup before starting to fold the laundry that was in the basket on the table. Fifteen minutes later the soup bowl was empty and the clothes were folded. I walked over to the sink, rinsed the dish out, and put it in the dishwasher.

I moved back to the table and plucked John from his carrier. I grabbed my books in the other arm and headed toward my room.

“It’s time for World History.”

I placed John in his infant playpen, plopped on my bed and opened the book. I hadn’t even gotten to the third page when John started crying. I glanced over at him, sighed, and got up.

“Shhhh, its okay John. Mommy’s here.”

I lifted him up and tried rocking him, but nothing was working. I shook my head. I’m never gonna get my homework done. There’s still so much I have to do. I need to clean up the kitchen, get Johns bag ready for the nursery tomorrow, I have to get a few bottles together for when he wakes up tonight…

God…it never ends. I don’t know how much longer I can do this by myself…I’m going out of my mind…this is all my fault…I took a deep breath and bounced him softly hoping to calm him down, but his screams just got louder. I swallowed hard and closed my eyes tightly to fight the tears.

There was a light raping on my door and I turned. Ricky stood in the door way and gave me a slight wave before making his way into the room. I hate to say this…I hate to even think it, but a part of me is glad Ricky’s here. He’s so good with John and I’m about at my threshold with what I can handle tonight.

“Hey.”

“Hey…what’s the matter with little John…”

I gave him a slight glare.

“If I knew what was wrong, would he still be crying?”

He sighed.

“What me to give it a try?”

I nodded and handed John gently over to him. He smiled down at him as he gently rocked John in his arms.

“Hey buddy…daddy’s here…its okay…”

A couple of minutes later Johns wails had turned into whimpers and Ricky looked up at me with a smile. I huffed slightly, walked over to my bed, and slammed my textbook shut before making my way out of my bedroom to find my mom.

Ricky still goes around doing whatever he wants, while I’m stuck here, working, taking caring of John and the house…why isn’t it as bad for him? I shook my head. Right now there are only so many emotions I can deal with…and anger is easier then feeling like I’m a failure at being a mom.

I found my mom in the living room looking through a large bag.

“Can you believe that? The second he touches him, he stops crying. It makes me crazy…”

“Well maybe if you weren’t so upset, John wouldn’t be so upset.”

That’s not what I wanted or needed to hear…I crossed my arms and spoke with an attitude.

“You’re hardly in a position to give me advice don’t you think?”

“Yeah I do think I’m still your mother.”

I shook my head.

“How did this happen? I don’t understand how this could happen. Especially at your age.”

Her voice was deadpanned.

“Wow.”

“David’s going to fire you when he finds out that you’re pregnant.”

“David is my boyfriend okay? He’s not my boss. I am a consultant to David’s firm as well as other firms yet to be found. And even if David were just my boss and not my boyfriend he couldn’t fire me just because I’m pregnant.”

“Sooo as a consultant do you have insurance?”

“Yeah I do have insurance. I have insurance with your dad.”

I moved slightly closer to her and spoke louder then before.

“Yeah and how long’s that going to last when he finds out you’re having someone else’s baby?”

She looked furious and I continued to stick my foot in my mouth.

“Are you sure you’re not just going through menopause or something? Would that throw off the pregnancy test?”

I gave her a hopeful look, but she just glared at me.

“I love you Amy, but mind your own teenage business alright?”

She turned away from me and started rummaging through the bag again. I caught a whiff of the air and smelt food.

“Is that meat? Do I smell meat?”

She turned around with a plate of food in her hand. Unbelievable…nothing I do is good enough apparently.

“Did Ricky bring you that?”

“Us…he brought it for us.”

“I made you soup.”

“Well soup is not enough Amy, I’m pregnant!”

Ricky chose that moment to walk into the living room carrying John. He looked slightly shocked, but he smiled and spoke in a soft voice.

“Wow…that’s great. Congratulations.”

He glanced down at John and his smiled widened. When he looked up and noticed that my mother and I didn’t look exactly happy the smile left and face and he gave a half shrug.

“I guess…”

That’s probably what my mom wanted to hear from me when I found out. She doesn’t need me yelling at her and making things harder. Things are hard enough. I don’t know what’s going on with me. I used to be a good person…now…well I’m just not so sure anymore.


(Ricky POV)

I could tell by the way they were looking between each other that things were tense. I guess I shouldn’t have congratulated her...Mrs. Juergens cleared her throat before speaking.

“Well I’m going to eat this in my room. I have a few things to take care of for work. Thanks again for the steaks Ricky. That was very nice of you.”

She gave me a tired smile before making her way toward her room.

“No problem Mrs. Juergens.”

I glanced at Amy as she walked over to the bag and peaked inside.

“There were two plates in there. I wasn’t really sure how you liked your steak or anything so I just grilled it up like I did mine. I was trying to be nice. Thought maybe if I brought something over, you wouldn’t have to cook.”

She nodded as she pulled out the plate and turned in my direction.

“It would have been nice if you called and told me that before I cooked.”

I guess she has a point, but she doesn’t need to be so ungrateful.

“Sorry, again I was just trying to be nice.”

“Yeah, I know. Well thanks…for the steaks.”

“Yeah sure, no problem.”

There was an awkward silence in the room and I kept rocking John as I cleared my throat and spoke.

“So…sorry I didn’t call before coming over.”

She shrugged as she started walking toward the kitchen. I followed behind her as she spoke.

“It’s fine. You don’t need to call before you come. John is your son.”

She looks exhausted…I guess this can’t be easy for her, but then again it’s not really easy for me either. A lot has changed…I sighed.

“Yeah…you know what...why don’t I let you eat that, while I go change John and play with him a little bit in your room. That way I can give you some time to yourself.”

She looked up and for the first time all night I saw gratitude on her face.

“Thanks Ricky…I really appreciate that.”

I gave her a tight smile and walked toward her room. I wasn’t really sure what to say…When any kind of emotional situation comes around it sort of throws me off. I can’t help it…I’m not really an emotional guy. I mean jeez in my 16 years I’ve only ever said I love you to one person…my son…

(Amy POV)

I was folding my second load of laundry when there was a knock on the side door in the kitchen. I glanced up from the clothes and smiled. Ben…I walked over to the door and opened it for him. He grinned as he walked in.

“I uh just had to come by and say goodnight to you and John. So…”

Before I could say anything he leaned in and gave me a kiss which I gladly returned. When we broke apart he cupped my cheek and pulled me in for a deeper kiss. When he finally pulled back I let out a light laugh.

“Wow…”

He laughed.

“Yeah.”

I pushed my hair behind my ear as I spoke.

“Ah Ricky’s in my room with John.”

The smile left his face as he started to fidget.

“You uh, think you might be moving him into the nursery soon? Uh John the baby, not Ricky.”

“I don’t know…you know he still wakes up in the middle of the night and it’s so much easier just to reach over and pick him up.”

I smiled.

“Why?”

He sighed and looked down before looking back up and talking in a cautious voice.

“I’m just…not that comfortable with Ricky hanging out in your room all the time.”

“What?”

When he didn’t answer I moved into a defensive pose and furrowed my brows.

“Ben he’s not in there for me he’s in there for John.”

“Okay.”

I smiled again when it seemed like he understood and I walked toward the counter.

“You want some soup? There’s some left over soup from dinner. Mom didn’t eat hers.”

“Soup? I thought I smelled steak.”

I nodded.

“Yeah, Ricky brought over a steak for my mom…and me.”

His frown was back and I pushed down with my hands on the table as he spoke.

“Oh did he…was it ribbi? He bought ribbi’s at the shop today…ugh…I should have known he was trying to suck up to your mother.”

I gave him a look of confusion.

“Why would he be sucking up to my mother?”

“Oh I don’t know, so he can get closer to you?”

I shook my head and leaned forward slightly. His jealousy is really starting to get on my nerves. I know he has this whole thing with Ricky because we’ve slept together, but I’m not with Ricky. I don’t understand why he doesn’t get that I love him…

“Jeez really Ben? What is going on with you? You’ve never been this jealous before. I don’t know if I like it.”

It wasn’t until I was finished talking that I noticed he wasn’t looking at my face. I glanced down and saw some cleavage showing. I looked back up at him angrier then I was before.

“What are you staring at?”

He shook himself and swallowed hard.

“Nothing.”

Please…

“I know what you were looking at.”

He looked down before and then back at me. He was trying to keep his voice nonconfrontational when he spoke.

“Well it’s not exactly as if you’re trying to hide anything lately.”

Oh my god…is my boyfriend seriously calling me some kind of slut? Could this night get any worse?

(Ricky POV)

I was walking up the hallway when I heard what Ben said and I stopped in my tracks. Oh man…he’s in trouble…not that I haven’t noticed the increase in cleavage. I am after all a man, but still you don’t say stuff like that. Especially to a teenage mom. What the hell was wrong with this kid?

I stayed where I was and listened in on the rest of their argument.

“Excuse me?”

“I think we should talk. Before anyone gets really upset here…lets just talk about this…”

The tone of her voice changed and I frowned slightly.

“About this?”

It’s definitely time for me to make my entrance. I finished walking up the hallway and turned into the kitchen when I heard Ben’s confession.

“I wanna have sex.”

He’s such an idiot.
I walked so I was standing in between them. I glanced back and forth before putting my hands in my pockets and talking.

“I guess I showed up at a bad time.”

I smirked in Ben’s direction before looking at Amy.

“I just wanted to say goodnight. Amy…Ben…night.”

As I turned and walked back toward the front door I heard Amy’s angry voice.

“I just had a baby.”

I heard loud footsteps behind me before Amy called out to me. I turned to face her.

“Hey.”

She pushed her hair behind her ear as she smiled and spoke.

“Thanks for coming over. You’re so good with him…with John.”

I smiled. Someone’s trying to make their boyfriend mad…hey whatever…it works for me. Time to put on the charm.

“No problem.”

Ben made his way down the hallway after Amy. I stopped myself from rolling my eyes. He follows her around like a lost little puppy…I glanced at him before smiling to myself. Here’s something you can be jealous about Ben…

“I can stay over if you want. Take care of him all night so you can get some sleep. I can sleep on that chair in your room.”

She gave me a light smile and shook her head.

“No, it’s okay. He should be alright now. At least for a few hours.”

Ben cut her off and glared in my direction.

“And besides if anybody’s gonna sleep in Amy’s room it’s gonna be me.”

I watched her turn toward Ben with a nasty look on her face. She was pissed.

“Should I tell your driver? I think he’s waitin’ for you.”

“I’m in drivers ed. you know…I’ll be driving soon.”

I laughed.

“Yeah if you can pass the test.”

Amy’s angry voice interrupted us. Oh well…there goes me being on her good side…

“Would the two of you just leave? Please? You can sort this out at the butcher shop tomorrow on your own time.”

I opened the door and waited for Ben to walk out first. He leaned in and attempted to give Amy a kiss but she didn’t kiss back. He pulled away and she glared at him. I shook my head and smirked. He walked out and I nodded in Amy’s direction before following him.

I ignored him the rest of the way to my car, got in, started it, and took off. I opened my phone and cursed silently. It’s practically dead…I’ll just go to Adrian’s I don’t want to waist the battery I have left. She’s not gonna care I didn’t call. Ten minutes later I was pulling into a parking spot in her complex.

I got out, walked to her door, and knocked. A minute later Ruben, her new found father opened the door. Crap…

“Hi…my cell phone batteries dead…I just…thought I could…”

He cut me off.

“Plug it in here?”

He was glaring at me and I sighed. I really didn’t feel like dealing with this tonight.

“Alright…just tell Adrian I came by…if you don’t mind.”

He sighed and dropped the glare.

“No I don’t mind, but why don’t you come in and wait for her.”

I smiled. He’s crazy…

“Oh, I don’t think so.”

“I said come in…and wait for her.”

I swallowed hard before walking into the house, He motioned to the couch.

“Sit down.”

He was making me nervous.

“Maybe I should go.”

“Or maybe we should talk”

I sat down and clasped my hands together before looking over at him.

“Alright, what do you want to talk about?”

“How’s John?”

I smiled.

“He’s okay. He doesn’t sleep through the night yet, but that’s to be expected with a boy at his age. He’ll get there, not before Amy losses her mind, but he’ll get there.”

“And how are you doing with balancing school, a job, going over to take care of him?”

“It’s almost the end of the year…my grades may have slipped a little, but not enough to wreck my averages. And the jobs great. I love that job.”

“Working at the butcher shop?”

“Yeah.”

What’s wrong with the butcher shop? It’s good honest money. Ben’s dad was nice enough to offer me the job so I could help out with John. Having a baby is expensive and there aren’t too many jobs a teenage parent can get. Why does everyone always think they’re better then me?

“What do you love about it?”

“I’m doing something that’s useful to someone and I’m makin’ some money. Any further questions your honor?”

“Hey…I’m just making small talk.”

“Why?”

“Why not? You’re sleeping with my daughter. Maybe we should get to know each other. Unless you don’t intend to be with Adrian the rest of her life in which case you shouldn’t be sleeping with her.”

Great…now I know what this is really about. My body tensed. Before I could say anything the door opened and Adrian walked in. I stood up and she gave us a suspicious look.

“What’s going on? I was at the library cause I thought you’d be here arguing with my mother.”

“Nothing’s going on. So I’ll be leaving now.”

Adrian’s eyes widened as she look at her dad.

“Ruben?”

He raised an eyebrow.

“Adrian?”

She laughed slightly.

“Don’t you have to go home?”

“Back to my hotel room? No. I might even sleep on the couch.”

She glared and I could hear the irritation in her voice as she spoke.

“Fine. Ricky and I are going to talk in my room.”

She started walking in the direction of her room and I followed behind her quietly.

“How long have you been here?”

I closed her bedroom door behind us as she turned toward me and I made a face.

“Long enough to become uninterested in having sex.”

I gave her a serious look and she rolled her eyes and spoke in a nonchalant tone.

“Oh, we can still have sex. He knows we have sex.”

I made a face.

“I’m not having sex with you while your fathers sitting on your living room couch.”

She moved in closer to me as she reached her hands out to my shirt.

“I’ll make you forget that.”

I pushed her hands gently back.

“No, you can’t.”

“I can…”

I was about to answer her when my cell phone rang. I glanced at the number and frowned. Why is Amy calling? I put a finger to my mouth as I looked at Adrian before I answered the call.

“Hello.”

I heard a deep sigh.

“Hey Ricky, listen I’m so sorry to call you this late, especially when you just left the house a little while ago...”

I cut her off.

“Is everything okay?”

I could hear wailing in the background.

“I can’t get John back to sleep. I have so much homework…and I asked my mom for help, but she isn’t home and she told me to call you…do you think…”

Her voice trailed off. She didn’t want to ask, and I guess I didn’t blame her. I shifted my feet as Adrian gave me a look and motioned to the phone.

“Do you need me to come over?”

She was quiet for a minute before I heard her soft voice over the phone.

“I could really use the help Ricky…if you’re not already busy I mean.”

“I’m not. Give me fifteen minutes and I’ll be there.”

“Thanks.”

“Sure.”

I disconnected the call and looked at Adrian.

“I gotta go.”

She put her hands on her hips and glared in my direction.

“Who was that?”

I gave her a frustrated look.

“It was Amy okay. Something’s wrong with John. She needs my help.”

Adrian rolled her eyes.

“I don’t know why she has to go and call you every time there’s a little problem. She’s his mother, doesn’t she do anything? God…can’t you just tell her you’re busy?”

I shook my head.

“No Adrian. And Amy doesn’t call every time there’s a problem. She barely calls at all. Just leave it alone. My son needs to come first in my life…don’t be made about that. Maybe tomorrow night?”

She sighed and her anger deflated.

“Fine.”

I leaned in and kissed her before walking out of her room. As I was walking toward the front door Ruben put down his mug of coffee as he spoke.

“So you’re not going to have sex tonight? I hope it wasn’t something I said.”

I stopped and turned to face him. You know what I’m tired of being civil with this guy. Who the hell is he? I’ve had a long day and I’m tired of the way he treats me. Yeah I get he doesn’t like me having sex with Adrian, but if she didn’t want to she’d say no.

I moved forward and there was anger in my voice when I spoke.

“What are you doing here anyway?”

“That would be your business?”

I made a face and moved slightly closer. My voice came out harsher then I intended it to, but I was mad.

“I could say the same to you. You haven’t been around for 16 years and now it’s your business if I’m here with Adrian. I’ve known her longer than you have. I know more about her then you do. Yeah, I may have gotten a girl pregnant that I didn’t want to marry, but I’m there for my kid…”

He cut me off and there was pain and anger on his face, but I didn’t care.

“Hey, Cindy wanted to get pregnant…she wanted to trap me and then when I offered to marry her, she didn’t want to get married. She didn’t even let me know when Adrian was born.”

I nodded.

“I see…you offered to marry her and she missed out because she didn’t take you up on your offer. I’m sure the offer must have made her feel very special. Hmm, or it made her feel so insignificant and out of control, she just refused to have anything to do with you.”

“Is that what she said?”

The anger was gone from his voice now and it through me slightly.

“What?”

He gave me a look and I realized what he meant.

“No, that’s what I said. I happen to know a little something about women. They Don’t want an offer; they just want to be loved.”

He opened his mouth and I shook my head, and held up my phone.

“Amy just called me, my son needs me. I have to go.”

I opened the front door and slammed it on my way out. I don’t have time to stand around and argue with Adrian’s father. I need to calm down. I can’t see John like this. I told Amy I’d be there in fifteen minutes. I can’t keep this up…

I know I should end things with Adrian…and every time I plan to…well sex usually changes my mind…and I’m not sure that will ever change…I sighed as I started the car and headed in the direction of Amy’s house. If nothing else at least I’m a good father…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)