November 9, 2009

A Family is Born Chapter (12/13)



Chapter 13

Chapter 12
“Cramped”
(Ashley POV)




I reach up and pulled a few bowls out of the cabinet. I turned around and as I started to walk toward the boxes in the kitchen my dad grinned and started singing.

“Dun dun dundun, dun dun dun dun dun dundun…”

I rolled my eyes, but joined in anyway. When I finally made it over to the box my dad was standing next to me. He chuckled lightly.

“It’s gonna be fine.”

“Sure it is.”

“I was thinking maybe you could move in with Amy…share a bedroom with her and we could keep the babies in the nursery together.”

Wonderful…I get to share a room with the all mighty pleasant one. No use arguing about it though…it’s not like there’s a better solution at the moment.

“Wow…lucky me. Could you bring home a couple of those bunk beds from the store? One of those ones with the little desk? Maybe a slide?”

My dad grinned at my sarcasm. He should I got it from him.

“Pumpkin, anything for you. How about something in a nice Maple finish?”

I rolled my eyes.

“Why not.”

“Amy’s gonna have the closet full so I can bring a matching armoire.”

I sighed.

“Alright…”

He gave me a small smile.

“You’re serious aren’t you?”

“Yeah unfortunately.”

“You would live in the same room as Amy?”

I glanced back up at him.

“Where else would I live? In the nursery?”

He shrugged.

“The nursery was your room. Amy could put John in here room and we’ll keep the baby in our room.”

I shook my head.

“If I thought that would keep either mom or Amy from having another baby I would do that, but frankly I don’t think Amy wants John back in her room and I think you and mom want a baby in your room so…that’s how it is.”

The grin he had on his face before was nothing compared to the one he was sporting now.

“That’s the way it could have gone, but I got a surprise.”

I made a face, but didn’t comment on how his surprises usually suck because he looked really proud of himself.

“Oh joy another surprise.”

“I wasn’t just moving things around in the garage the last couple of weeks. I reinstalled the urinal. It was an art piece.”

I gave him a confused look.

“Why would you do that?”

He smiled.

“Because I had to get it out of my trunk?”

I gave him a look and he spoke in a loud voice.

“I made the garage into a room for ya! You wanna see it?”

What? No way…I started to smile.

“You didn’t furnish it did you?”

He shook his head.

“No, no, no…I’m gonna give you some cash…”

But before he could finish his sentence I was out the door running toward the garage in excitement. I passed Amy in the kitchen making pancakes.

“Good Morning.”

I ran through the kitchen and she frowned. I heard her call out over my shoulder in a questioning tone.

“Morning?”

I went through the door on the other side of the kitchen and ran into the garage. I stood in the middle of the empty room just looking around. It’s amazing! Dad really came through for me…When I turned and saw dad standing in the doorway watching me I smiled and ran to him.

I through myself on him giving him a big hug and he grunted and then laughed.

“Thank you thank you thank you…”

I heard Amy voice over dad’s shoulder.

“For what?”

Dad looked at her and motioned around the room.

“For this.”

“When did this happen?”

We watched Amy look around the room stunned.

“The past few weekends a little something I was working on.”

I smiled and looked at her.

“So now we don’t have to live together.”

She frowned.

“What?”

“Dad built this for me.”

He was quick to chime in.

“And for Amy in that now Ashley will not have to share your room with you. Your mother and I thought it would be a good idea.”
For a minute I thought Amy was going to throw a fit, but she took a deep breath and nodded.

“That’s good I guess. I’ve got to go finish breakfast.”

She turned and walked out of the garage and dad sighed. I didn’t want Amy to feel bad, but you know what after the year we’ve had I wasn’t going to let her make me feel bad for getting this room. I never ask for anything and I know things have been hard for Amy, but they’ve been hard on me too.

(Adrian POV)

I walked toward the boxes and placed the last thing from my desk into it. I can’t believe we’re already moving…the time went by quick. I was moving things around in one of the boxes when I heard Ricky’s voice behind me.

“Hey.”

I turned my head in his direction as he walked in. A look of confusion passed over my face.

“Hi…who let you in?”

I watched as he glanced down at his phone and pressed a few buttons on it. His attention was still on the phone when he spoke.

“I ran into your mom and Ruben, they’re going to get boxes.”

I turned so I was facing him fully and he finally looked up at me. I nodded.

“Yeah, I know…you could have called.”

“I’m waiting for an email.”

Right of course…most likely from Amy, what else would have him checking his phone every couple of seconds. Ricky and I have been trying to make this work ever since he came to my door that night, but things aren’t going well.

He’s distant and no matter what I do involving Amy it’s never good enough. He wants us to get along, but he doesn’t even realize that more than half the time we fight he takes her side and it’s annoying. I raised an eyebrow.

“On your phone?”

He nodded.

“Yeah, I get email on my new phone so I don’t need to wait around by a computer. And since I don’t need to wait around by a computer I figured I’d drop by because I thought maybe we could hang out for a little bit while you’re packing up to move.”

I rolled my eyes.

“I’m not having sex with you Ricky…I told you…”

He cut me off.

“Yea, I know what you told me. Did I say sex? I thought we were trying to work things out here Adrian.”

“We are, oh here’s your white belt and t-shirt.”

I reached into the box and pulled them out before handing them to him. He raised an eyebrow.

“Why are you giving them to me?”

I shrugged.

“So they don’t get lost in the clutter when I move in to the house.”

Ricky glanced around the room and then turned back to me and smirked.

“You know since you mentioned sex…we could have sex…one for the road?”

I shook my head.

“No.”

The smile left his face and he glared at me.

“What are we doing Adrian? This isn’t what I had in mind when I said we should work things out…maybe I was wrong.”

His voice started off angry, but then just trailed off. Is he kidding? He can’t really be breaking up with me because I won’t have sex with him. I felt my heart constrict , but I refused to show the pain on my face. I glared at him.

“Tell me you’re breaking up with me because I won’t sleep with you…”

He shook his head and the anger was back on his face.

“Are you kidding? You think that’s all it’s about don’t you? That’s what all anyone thinks it’s about. I reached out to you Adrian. I said we should start clean…just us. You’re the one who won’t let me in. You’ve been keeping me at a distance since I came here and apologized and you aren’t trying with Amy at all.”

He shook his head again and before I could even get a word out he met my eyes and spoke.

“I care about you Adrian…but I don’t love you. I’m sorry. I should have never come here that night. You just…you make me feel like I’m good enough to be loved and I guess…maybe that’s why I always come back. This time it’s real though, because I can’t keep doing this. I need to grow up.”

It took me a minute to realize what he had just said. Over…doesn’t love me…grow up…what? I’m done pretending I don’t care. I love Ricky and here he is standing in front of me…slipping away. I closed the distance between us and pulled him to me.

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry I didn’t let you in. I can try more…this can still work Ricky…”

I had my arms wrapped around his neck and I was trying to pull him down for a kiss. He titled his body away from me and unwrapped my arms from around his neck. I could see how hard it was for him to do that so I swallowed hard and took a step back.

We stood there quietly for a few minutes and I wrapped my arms around myself. There’s got to be more to it…he’s the one who wanted to work thing out and now all of a sudden he doesn’t? I heard his phone beep and I watched him as he looked over the email with concentration.

“That’s Amy…I gotta go.”

I let out a bitter laugh.

“Right of course. Amy calls and Ricky runs.”

“Don’t do this Adrian…this is the email I’ve been waiting for okay? She sent a shopping list of things she needs for John…remember him? My son?”

“Right…the only kid you’re ever going to have with anyone I remember.”

He sighed, turned and started to walk out my bedroom door.

“Bye Adrian…”

“Ricky…”

He must have heard the disgusting pleading tone in my voice because he turned around and faced me. I let the anger drain out of my body before speaking.

“We’ve known each other for a while…and we’ve been through a lot. You haven’t always been honest with me, but I know that you’ve grown up a lot over the past year. So I’m asking you to be honest with me now…”

He hesitated, but nodded motioning for me to continue.

“Before you said you didn’t love me…you sounded so sure…are you…I mean…is there someone else? Someone you can see yourself with in the future…someone you can see having a family with?”

The silence between us was deafening and I wasn’t sure how long it lasted, but it felt like a long time. I watched Ricky run a hand through his unruly hair and for once all the cockiness left his face and it was replaced by guilt. He inclined his head slightly and his voice was quiet.

“Yes.”

Tears pooled in my eyes. I knew it all along…I just didn’t want to believe it…I didn’t want to think that he’d never come back to me.

“Is it Amy?”

“Adrian…”

“You might as well just tell me Ricky…I’m pretty sure I already know the answer anyway.”

His body tensed and he stared at me before speaking in a quiet yet strong voice.

“Yea, it’s Amy.”

I felt a tear spill down my cheek and Ricky hesitated before taking a step toward me. I shook my head.

“You have things to do. I’ll see you around.”

“Adrian…”

“Just leave! Please…”

I could feel his presence behind me. He sighed, walked out and closed my door behind him. I could feel my heart breaking. I knew this was going to happen…I should have never fallen for Ricky Underwood. Silent tears coursed down my cheeks as I turned towards the closed door and spoke in a whisper.

“Goodbye Ricky…”

(Ben POV)

I glanced at the phone, listening to the dial tone and sighed as I pressed the button hanging it up. I glanced up at the doorway and saw my dad standing there eyebrow raised. I shrugged.

“Moving day…Ashley and George are moving back into the house and George decided to make the garage into a room for Ashley.”

“So?”

I rolled my eyes and gave my dad a look saying ‘really?”

“So Amy thought that maybe her dad would give her the garage…”

My dad was nodding and opened his mouth to say something when Betty barreled into the room in excitement.

“Hey…did you tell him?”

She looked at me a grinned.

“Did he tell you?”

My dad was watching her with a warm smile on his face before speaking.

“Ah no I didn’t get a chance. Why don’t you tell him?”

“I’m moving in!”

Oh wow…I was startled and it took me a second to smile, but I did.

“Ah that’s great congratulations.”

I leaned in to give her a hug and she practically lifted me off the ground with the force of it. She let me go and moved back over to my dad’s side.

“Thank you for saying that…even if you don’t mean it. Thanks…”

I frowned slightly.

“No, I mean it…I love having you here Betty…but weren’t you already living here kind of?”

I didn’t want to offend her, but she is here most nights of the week. She smiled and so did my dad.

“Kind of, but now Mr. King says I can move in some of my stuff if I want…and I want!”

“I…can’t wait to see.”

“I can’t wait to for you to see! Alright I’ve gotta go meet the movers.”

She leaned over and gave dad a kiss before waving at me and making her way out of the room. My dad shook his head and sighed.

“I don’t know why I said she could bring her things.”

I wanted to laugh. I know why…

“I do…”

He gave me a stern look and I rolled my eyes again.

“I’m just joking around dad.”

“Yeah well…don’t joke around like that. I love this woman.”

“I know…the question is do you love her things?”

“Not that much.”

This time I did laugh. I swear sometimes I feel like I’m living in a bad movie…I looked back at him and he was glaring at me. I chuckled one more time before smiling.

“Sorry…I’m sure it’ll…all work out.”

He sighed and nodded.

“So how are things with you and Amy?”

I shrugged.

“They could be better…I just I don’t really know what I want anymore dad. I don’t know if Amy’s the one I’m supposed to be with.”

I sat down in my desk chair and my dad sat across from me on my bed. His face was stern as he spoke.

“Ben…if you don’t want to be with Amy anymore then you need to tell her. You can’t lead her on. It isn’t fair to her.”

I sighed.

“I don’t know what I want to do yet dad, but as soon as I figure it out she’ll be the first person I tell.”

He nodded, got up, and left. Now all I need to did and decide…someone that sounds a lot easier than it actually is…

(Ricky POV)

I walked up to the kitchen door with my hands full and saw Ashley in the kitchen. I kicked the door lightly to get her attention. She glanced over saw me and moved quickly over to open the door. I smiled and walked in.

“Thanks.”

She frowned at all the stuff I was carrying.

“What’s with all the stuff?”

“Diapers, food, juice, baby wipes, lotion, soap, etc etc.”

She nodded.

“I’ll get Amy.”

I shook my head.

“It’s okay I can put this stuff away. I know where it goes.”

I went to pick everything back up off the counter when I turned toward Ashley. My brows furrowed.

“What’s she in such a bad mood about?”

Ashley smirked.

“Are you sure she’s in a bad mood? How can you tell?”

I raised an eyebrow at her, but smiled. I always enjoy hanging around Ashley. She’s got a funny sense of humor.

“Alright don’t say anything bad about my son’s mother okay?”

“If you insist.”

“I insist.”

Amy chose that moment to walk into the kitchen.

“Insist on what?”

Ashley turned in her direction and I opened my mouth, but before I could say anything she spoke.

“I was asking how Ricky could tell you were in a bad mood since well…you always seem to be in a bad mood and he told me not to say bad things about you.”

Amy’s face went from irritated to surprised as she glanced at me. I shrugged and looked away from her.

“Nice Ashley.”

She walked over to the counter and rummaged through the stuff before looking at me and smiling.

“Thanks for running to the story Ricky. I appreciate it. Things have been hectic here this morning.”

I grinned.

“Things are always hectic here Amy, but you’re welcome.”

Her smiled widened and Ashley cleared her throat to get our attention. We turned toward her and she raised an eyebrow at me.

“What?”

“You drive.”

I laughed lightly.

“Yeah, I drive.”

“You know…you just spent all morning running around with crazy shoppers…maybe you need to relax for a little while get out of the house…”

Her voice trailed off and I gave her a confused. I glanced at Amy who had a slight smirk on her face. Someone wants me to do something…I can feel it already…

“Should I?”

“Yup, and I have the perfect relaxing activity.”

“Let’s hear it?”

“I wanna go look for some furniture for my new room. Maybe some yard sales or something. You wanna take me?”

I turned my head slightly toward Amy and she laughed.

“Oh come on, you knew something like that was coming.”

“True.”

I moved my attention back toward Ashley.

“I was supposed to unload this stuff and watch John for a little bit.”

Amy waved me off.

“I don’t mind. Dad is taking care of mom so I can put this stuff away and maybe I’ll take John out to the park or something.”

“You sure?”

She nodded and I grinned at Ashley.

“Yeah, I’ll take you then. You wanna go ask your dad first?”

She made a face.

“I told you, he’s watching my mom. Amy can tell him. Right Am?”

She nodded.

“I’ll let dad know you two went shopping.”

Ashley grabbed her bag and I followed her to the door before stopping and calling out over my shoulder.

“If you’re gonna take John to the park call me. Ashley and I can meet you there. That way we can spend some time with him outside the house for a bit.”

I saw a warm smile light up her face.

“That’s sounds like a good idea Ricky…I will.”

I nodded, gave her a smirk, and followed Ashley out. The day started off bad, but things seemed to be looking up…

(Amy POV)

I had just finished putting the last of John’s things away when there was a knock on the door. I walked to the front door and pulled it open. Ben was standing there with a scowl on his face. Ugh I’m really not up for a fight with Ben. I just spent the last thirty minutes arguing with my dad about Ricky being out with Ashley.

I was finally able to convince him to stop being so ridiculous and to just give Ricky a chance. My parents have really given Ricky a lot of leeway and I’m glad because he hasn’t let them or me down once. When I pointed that out my dad back down…mostly.

I gave Ben a tired smile that didn’t reach my eyes.

“Hey.”

“Hey, can I come in?”

I opened the door wider and he walked in.

“Is everything okay?”

He nodded, but he seemed distracted. We went into the living room and sat down. It’s really strange how uncomfortable things have been between me and Ben lately. I thought we were finally on the same page again and working things out after everything with Heather…but I guess I was wrong.

When I raised an eyebrow at him he smiled.

“I saw Ricky today…at Betty’s garage sale…”
I laughed.

“Okay.”

“He was with Ashley.”

I nodded.

“Yeah I know. When he came by here earlier today to drop off the stuff from the shopping list I sent him he took Ashley to go look for furniture for her new room.”

Ben seemed startled.

“Oh, I didn’t realize they were so close.”

I frowned.

“They aren’t, but well Ricky considers Ashley family. He probably wouldn’t admit it, but she’s John’s aunt…so he looks out for her.”

Ben nodded, but his body was tense. I watched as he turned toward me and took a deep breath.

“I think maybe…we should talk about us…”

His voice trailed off and I swallowed hard. My voice was soft when I spoke.

“What about us?”

“Things have been strained for a while now Amy…”

He’s breaking up with me…I shook my head and gave him a slight glare.

“Ben, if you came over here to break up with me just tell me. I don’t need a long speech about how things haven’t been working. I know things have been off.”

He hesitated for a minute.

“Amy you know I care about you…”

I could feel tears well up in my eyes. I mean yeah I care about Ben…and yes I love him, but ever since John was born…it’s like we’ve been going in separate directions and on some level I’ve been preparing myself for this…I guess I just didn’t expect it to hurt like this. My voice was small when I spoke.

“But you aren’t in love with me anymore…”

I watched him open and close his mouth. I could see his adams apple bob and then he was talking again.

“I’m sorry. I care about you…and I do love you I just…I thought we were meant to be together and now…I’m not so sure about that. I feel like if we were meant to be together then I wouldn’t have any doubts…and I do.”

The room was quiet as I nodded. I stood up quickly, turned my back to him and wiped my face. I heard him stand up too, but he didn’t come any closer.

“You should go.”

“Amy…”

“I’m sorry…I can’t do this right now…I get what you’re saying Ben…I do and I’m not angry I just…I need to be alone.”

I turned back to face him and I could see the pain on his face. He nodded and I walked toward the front door and held it open. He walked toward it and hesitated before walking outside.

“I’m sorry Amy…”

“Me too Ben…”

I watched him walk down the path to his driver’s car and then they were gone. I shut the door, leaned my back against it, and squeezed my eyes shut tightly. Even though I knew this was going to happen…I can’t help the fact that it hurts…Ben was there for me throughout my pregnancy and I thought he’d be there for me after too.

I should have known better…I’m a 16-year-old mother…who would want me?

(Ricky POV)

We pulled up to the curb outside the house and I glanced down at my phone checking again to see if I missed Amy’s call, but there were no missed calls. I shook my head and got out of the car. Ashley was already pulling stuff out of the backseat, so I helped her.

“John’s probably napping, that’s why she didn’t call.”

I glanced at Ashley briefly as I grabbed two more bags.

“Who?”

She tilted her head to the side and gave me a look that said ‘really you think I’m that stupid?’ I grinned at her.

“I’m sure you’re right. I just thought the park idea was nice. John would probably like it.”

She nodded as I shut the car door and we made our way around back to the kitchen.

“You guys can still go, it’s not like the park closes.”

She’s right, I can always see if Amy wants to go now. We walked inside and Ashley yelled out.

“Hey…we’re back.”

George came walking into the kitchen holding John with a scowl on his face. He glanced between me and Ashley and sighed. When he spoke he was looking at Ashley.

“Did you find anything for your room?”

She nodded and motioned to the bags we were holding.

“No, we’re just holding these bags for exercise.”

I smiled slightly, looked around the room, and frowned.

“Where’s Amy?”

George turned in my direction and motioned to the bags.

“Here, switch. Gimmie the bags and take John.”

I handed George the bags and took John into my arms. I grinned at him and he plopped his hand on my face while saying ‘dadadadadada.’

I glanced back up at George and gave him a questioning look.

“Amy?”

“Her room, but I wouldn’t go in there if I were you.”

I watched as George and Ashley made their way towards the garage. Before walking out the door Ashley turned in my direction and gave me a tight grin.

“Thanks for taking me today Ricky.”

“Sure.”

When she closed the door behind her I made my way down the hall towards Amy’s room. John was babbling in my ear and I laughed.

“Come on buddy let’s go find mommy.”

When we got to her door I knocked before pushing it gently open.

“Amy?”

I was slightly startled at the sight in front of me. Amy was sitting on her bed with tears streaming down her cheeks. She glanced up at me and John and swiped at her face to get rid of the tears. She stood up and turned away from me.

“Don’t you knock?”

“I did. Is everything okay?”

She let out a harsh chuckled as she whirled around to face me.

“Yeah Ricky, everything is great. I’m sitting in my room crying because everything is fine!”

The end of her sentence was loud and John, who was snuggled against my shoulder, jumped slightly and turned his attention to her. I jiggled him in my arms as he started to fuss. Amy must have seen him jump because she shook her head and plopped down on her bed.

“This conversation isn’t over…I’m just gonna go put John down.”

She didn’t say anything, but I know she heard me. I went into John’s nursery, put him down, put on the mobile and moved quietly out of the room. When I came back into Amy’s room I shut the door behind me. The last thing we need is John to hear us fighting.

“Go away Ricky.”

I glared at the back of her head.

“No. What the hell is going on with you Amy? Yelling like that in front of John…I thought we agreed no matter what was going on with us we wouldn’t fight in front of him.”

She exhaled noisily and turned to face me.

“I’m sorry okay, it wasn’t intentional. I just…I can’t do this with you right now.”

She isn’t the only one having a bad day today…what the hell happened from the time Ashley and I left until now that put her in such a foul mood? She attempted to walk past me, but I grabbed her arm gently and she whirled around.

“Let go.”

I did.

“Amy I’m really getting tired of these mood swings. You’re always yelling at me and I think I’ve been pretty good about everything, but you never seem to realize that I’m going through the same problems as you are. I’m a teenager parent too Amy…”

Her face softened slightly, but I went on. My voice came out angrier then I intended it to.

“I’ve got John and you…and no matter what I do, no matter how much I take care of you and my kid you still don’t give me any credit for anything. Things have gotten better recently, but then you get into moods like this one and I don’t know what to do…cut me some slack Amy…I know you can’t be mad at me so why do you have to take it out on me?”

I watched tears pool in her eyes and she nodded. I opened my mouth to say something, but she cut me off.

“No…you’re right. You’ve been here every day since John was born. You take care of him and…you even take care of me when I need it. You drive me around, give me money for John, go shopping for him…and…you’re a great dad Ricky…”

She swallowed hard and then continued before I could say anything.

“I know this is hard for you too I just…it seems so easy for you Ricky. You make it seem easy and lately…with us splitting things more evely it’s been better…and I think I’ve been better about things to.”

I nodded.

“You have.”

She shrugged.

“I’m not angry with you…it’s Ben…he stopped by after you guys left…”

If figures…he’s always putting her in a bad mood. Her voice came out soft the next time she spoke.

“He broke up with me.”

Ah…no wonder the bad mood. I don’t actually know what to say to her…I don’t think she’d appreciate me saying good you can do better than him…I watched her wipe away a few tears and I sighed. I walked further into the room and hesitantly wrapped an arm around her.

I stood there awkwardly for a couple of seconds before she wrapped her arms around my neck. We stood like that for a couple of minutes and I rubbed her back lightly.

“You don’t need him Amy and things haven’t been good for you guys in a while.”

“I know…but I can’t help that it hurts…”

She pulled back so she could look at my face.

“I’m a 16-year-old mother Ricky…who’s gonna want me? I mean even Ben didn’t want to stick around…I guess I’m just going to have to get used to being alone.”

I frowned. She can’t really think that…can she? I shook my head.

“Stop, that come on…you’re smart, funny, beautiful…you’ll find a good guy…your young…you have time and if all else fails you won’t be completely alone…I’m around.”

I gave her half a smirk and she laughed lightly as she looked at me with surprise on her face.

“You think I’m beautiful?”

I rubbed the back of my neck and shrugged.

“We wouldn’t have John if I didn’t think your were good looking.”

She blushed and my smirk widened.

“Things will get better Amy…”

“I know…thanks Ricky…for everything.”

I nodded and we stood there looking at each other and before I even realized what was happening I was moving closer to Amy cupping her cheek in my hand. She gave me a strange look and I hesitated for a brief minute before leaning down slowly and capturing her lips with mine.

It took a second, but she grabbed onto my wrist as she responded to the kiss. I deepened it and heard her moan against my lips. Her arms wrapped around my neck as I wound one arm around her waist pulling her closer to me. I can’t believe I’m kissing her…I forgot how great a kisser she was…

This has been building between us for months. Small touches here and there, the fighting, her yelling…it’s all been building up to this one moment. No more Adrian…no more Ben…just me and Amy…

Normally this is the point where I’d be freaking out…but I can’t bring myself to do it…The feeling was short lived though and the moment was shattered by a booming voice.

“What the hell is going on here?”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)