November 9, 2009

A Family is Born Chapter (8/13)



Chapter 9

Chapter 8
“Summer Time”
(Ben POV)




I walked into my room, tossed one of my suitcases on my bed, and turned on the light. I sat on my bed, sighed and glanced at my phone. I should call her…I haven’t spoken to Amy in over a month…I should call her…I tossed my phone on the bed, stood up and started to unpack.

As I went through my bag I noticed something sticking out of the corner of one of the pockets. I lifted the pocket and glanced down at the photos. I pulled them out and sighed again. I closed my eyes and I could still smell the sweet smell of her hair. Strawberries…

I held the pictures for another second before taking them and putting them inside the back of my night stand. I glanced around at the other bag and decided to leave it until tomorrow. I plopped down on my bed and stretched out.

I grabbed my phone again and hit the speed dial button‘3.’ I waited a few minutes and after three rings a female voice flowed over the other line.

“Ciao ragazzo.”

I smiled.

“Hey Adrian. How’s your night going?”

“Eh’ it’s okay. You make it home okay?”

“Yeah, just got home about ten minutes ago. I didn’t wake you did I?”

I heard a chuckle on the other end of the phone.

“No, I’m picking out my outfit for school tomorrow and getting a few things together.”

I stifled a yawn.

“That’s good.”

There was silence for a minute before she sighed.

“So…have you spoken to Amy yet?”

I frowned.

“Uh…no. I was just going to wait to talk to her in person…”

I hesitated before continuing.

“I just…I really don’t know what to do. I don’t know what’s going to happen with us…I don’t know what I want to happen with us.”

I rubbed a hand over my head before letting out a loud breath.

“Ben…I know you were all over the place this summer…and there was a lot going on, but I need to know…did you? Did you cheat on Amy?”

I sighed again.

“Adrian…I thought we went over this…”

She cut me off before I could say anything else and her voice was rushed.

“We did…I just…”

She paused and I heard her breath in deep.

“Ricky and I are finally on the right page again. We’re back to…whatever it was we were before and I don’t want it to get ruined because you go and tell Amy that you did more than work at your uncles hotel in Italy…”

“Adrian…I told you nothing happened in Italy…”

“Mmm and I told you, you’re lying, but whatever. It doesn’t matter. As long as you work things out with Amy everything will be fine…you are going to work things out with Amy right?”

Am I going to work things out with Amy? That’s a pretty good question…At this point I don’t know what is going to happen with me and Amy. She’s probably going to break up with me when I see her tomorrow because I haven’t called her in the past two months…

Adrian’s voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“Ben…hello, you there?”

I shook my head.

“Yeah, sorry about that. I’m exhausted. I really should get some sleep. I just wanted to check in see how your night was going and…”

She cut me off.

“And see if I was with Ricky?”

“Maybe…”

“I’m not. He’s with Amy right now.”

I snorted lightly. Figures…he’s been with Amy a lot this summer…he’s even slept there a bit according to Adrian.

“Right…well like I said. I should get some sleep. Have a good night Adrian.”

“’Night Ben.”

I heard the click of the phone and I put it on the night stand by my bed. I closed my eyes and let out a long breath. I just need to settle in and figure out what to tell Amy…I’m sure I’m making things out to be worse then they are…thing’s will be fine tomorrow…hopefully…

(Ricky POV)

I came out of John’s room and rounded the corner into the kitchen to find Amy fast asleep, head on the kitchen table, baby monitor on the table, and cell phone in hand. I sighed. She’s still waiting on Ben to call…I was one of the only people on Ben’s side when he left for Italy.

I was one of the only people who said he wouldn’t cheat on Amy…and she believed me…or I think she did. If he comes back to school tomorrow and he had sex in Italy…it’s gonna break Amy’s heart. I shook my head. He better hope that if he did cheat I never find out about it…

I walked over to Amy and gently shook her on the arm. She groaned slightly and I laughed.

“Amy…Amy wake up. John’s asleep…I’m gonna head home.”

I saw a look of confusion pass over her face as she lifted her head and rubbed her eyes.

“Home?”

“Yeah, we have school tomorrow so I’m going to head home now.”

She nodded and I watched her cover her mouth as she yawned.

“Okay. Thanks again for helping out with John. I’ll walk you out.”

I shook my head and pointed in the other direction.

“I can find my way out, you are going to bed. Go; get some rest before John wakes up.”

“You’re right. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

I nodded.

“Yeah, at school. You want me to grab John in the morning and drop him off at the nursery for you? Or are you guys going to take him on your way to school?”

“We’ll take him.”

“Okay. ‘Night Amy.”

“‘Night Ricky.”

I smiled at her before opening the kitchen door and walking out. I made it out to my car and it took me ten minutes to get home. I glanced at the clock as I walked into my apartment and smirked. She should be here any minute. I took my phone out and dialed Adrian’s number.

“Hi Ricky.”

“I just wanted to say goodnight.”

“You just get back from Amy’s?”

I let out a tired sigh before speaking.

“Yeah, we had trouble getting John to sleep. I gotta go…I’m exhausted. I’ll see you at school tomorrow okay?”

“Did you wanna come over before school?”

I raised an eyebrow. That sounds promising…sex tonight and tomorrow morning…

“Yeah, why not.”

I could hear the smile on her face.

“See you then.”

I heard a click, glanced down at the phone, and shrugged. As I tucked my phone back into my pocket I heard a knock on the door. I grinned, walked toward the door, and opened it. She walked in and closed the door behind her.

She gave me a sexy smirk before talking.

“Okay I have to be home in one hour. I told my parents I was getting a pack of college ruled paper and pens.”

I grinned as I leaned in and kissed her. I pulled back and took her hand.

“I’ve got paper and pens…so we can take the whole hour…”

She smiled and I took her down the hall to my room. Okay so Adrian and I made up…and we promised not to see anyone else, but seriously…this is me. If she thought I was going to settle down and she only her then she’s mistaken…

I don’t want to loose Adrian…but I also don’t want her to be the only girl I’m with…Hey all that matters is that I don’t get caught…and that’s not even an issue…

(Amy POV)

I held John in my arms as I got my bag ready for school. This is going to be the worst second first day ever…I bet as soon as I get to school Ben is going to break up with me…my body tensed at the thought and I tried to relax because I know John is always more fussy when I’m fussy.

I heard my mom walk into the room.

“So, first day of school…”

“Yup.”

I turned around and she was smiling. Her bag was on the table next to her and she gave me a look.

“And Ashley’s first day of school…”

“Yup.”

I got a better grip on John as I hoisted him on my hip and she frowned.

“I hope that you’re not gonna let you being angry with Ben get in the way of you reaching out to your sister on her very first day of high school.”

I rolled my eyes.

“On my first day of high school I was pregnant and I got through it.”

I glanced at John before continuing.

“I’m sure she’ll get through it.”

She nodded.

“Yeah, I’m sure she will because she’ll have her big sister helping her out.”

Why does she always have to do this? Can’t she see that the day is already starting off on a really bad note?

“Mom, she’s not going to need my help.”

“Amy…as much as she doesn’t want to admit it I think that Ashley is slightly more insecure then she pretends to me. So you take care of her and forget about Ben for today.”

I held John’s head because he was wiping it around as I spoke.

“How am I supposed to do that? How am I supposed to forget that he hasn’t called me in two months? That he didn’t even call me last night when he got home…”

She sighed.

“Well…I’m sure that there’s a reason. He was probably just busy…”

I felt a sharp tug at my heart. Too busy for someone he claims to love…

“Yeah, he’s probably too busy to even break up with me…”

“I know you’re having a hard time with Ben, but I don’t want you to make Ashley anxious about school. You and Ben will work things out.”

I adjusted John for the third time as I made a face at my mom.

“You’ve been saying that all summer…”

Before she could say anything else David made his way into the kitchen. She smiled and I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes. It’s not that David’s not a nice guy, because he is. It’s just…he’s not my dad and as much as I hate to say it…I miss my dad.

He smiled at me.

“Morning Amy…”

“It’s not a good morning…”

I walked out of the room and left my mother and David to talk. They spent most of the summer renovating the house…a house that my mom expected John and me to move into. A house that was more than an hour away…

She has to know that I can’t just pick up and leave. School’s here…Ashley and dad are here…and Ricky’s here. Ricky needs to be able to see John. It’s not fair of me to just pick up and leave. I shook my head, grabbed John’s bag, and made my way back into the kitchen.

David was picking things up off the table as I put a few things in John’s bag.

“So, excited about your first day of school? Good to be back?”

I didn’t look up from what I was doing.

“Nope.”

He smiled.

“I love school.”

As I walked over to the fridge I glanced up at him.

“Yeah, I loved school too and then I got pregnant at 15, had a baby, and now it’s not as much fun as it used to be.”

We looked at each other and I saw the smile leave his face. He glanced down before looking back up at me. I feel bad…I know he’s trying, but I just can’t seem to stop myself. I hate that he’s been spending so much time in our house…I hate that he asked my mom to marry him…

I hate that he’s trying to create this…family unit without Ashley and my dad and I hate that he’s trying to pull me out of my life here. I know he means well, but I still hate it…

“We’re getting married you know…your mother and I. We’re having a baby.”

I crossed my arms over my chest.

“Whatever.”

“I’m gonna be around for a while so we should work on being friends. You know I thought with your dad and sister riding around the country this summer and with Ben away that you and I would get a chance to know each other, but I just never seem to be able to get your attention…all summer.”

“I was busy…”

“I know. I still hold out hope that we can be friends.”

“I have friends.”

“It’s just that…you know…I feel a little funny giving you a car if we’re not even friends.”

Whoa…wait a minute a car? A smile lit up my face as I let out a short disbelieving laugh as he continued.

“You did complete drivers ed this summer…”

“Yeah, but…you…can’t…buy me a car…”

He nodded and gave me a serious look.

“No, I can…”

I raised an eyebrow.

“What is this? A bribe?”

He shrugged.

“If that’s the way you want to look at a brand spankin’ new SUV with leather interior…then I guess it is.”

My eyes widened.

“David I can’t…where is it?”

He grinned.

“It’ll be here this afternoon.”

I could feel the excitement whirling around inside of me. Oh my god my own car…

“Does my mom know?”

“Your mother does, your father doesn’t, but I think it’ll be fine.”

I felt the smile leave my face.

“But, I won’t have my license for three more months…”

“I think it’s best if you practice driving in the car you’re going to be driving for the test. Don’t you?”

I smiled again.

“Wow…I don’t know what to say…”

“I’ll try a little harder to get to know you David…”

I gave him a warm smile.

“I will…I promise.”

He nodded.

“Well have a nice day. Should I walk over and tell your sister to have a nice day?”

I laughed.

“Not unless you have another car, no I wouldn’t.”

He winced slightly and nodded. A few minutes later he grabbed his briefcase and left for the office. I can’t believe it…my very own SUV…for me and John…maybe today is looking up after all…

(Adrian POV)

I sat in bed smiling at Ricky as he pulled his pants back on. He turned to face me and smirked.

“Thanks Adrian.”

I moved in closer to him.

“No…thank you.”

I leaned in and kissed him. When I pulled away I groaned slightly.

“I love the back to school schedule…you can come over here every morning after Ruben leaves for work.”

I kissed him again and I felt him sigh against my lips.

“I’ll try.”

“Will you?”

“Why do we have to turn something fun into a commitment? It was fun…let’s just leave it at that.”

I cupped his face and pulled him into another intense kiss. He pulled back and got off the bed. He grabbed his t-shirt and spoke as he started to pull it over his head.

“The whole summer was fun. I don’t know what I like more. Working at the butcher shop or having sex with you over the butcher shop.”

I rolled my eyes and gave him a good natured smile.

“Ugh please tell me you like me best…”

He glanced up and looked at me as he shrugged.

“Alright…I like you best.”

I tilted my head to the side and looked at him. I need to just go for it…this is it…I took a deep breath and spoke.

“Do you love me?”

His body tense and there was agitation in his voice when he spoke.

“Adrian…”

“Just say you love me…”

“Why?”

I sighed…

“Because Ben came back from Italy last night and he’s thinking about breaking up with Amy and I don’t want Amy running to you when he breaks up with her.”

I pulled my robe over myself and I saw him frown.

“How do you know what Ben’s thinking?”

I raised an eyebrow.

“I know because I talked to him last night.”

I saw anger on his face as his brows furrowed.

“Have you been talking to him all summer?”

Oh great…here we go…well if he’s jealous that’s gotta mean something right?

“Umm…I talked to him a few times…”

I glanced away from him as I spoke and his voice hardened.

“You didn’t tell me that.”

I jerked my head up and glared at him.

“I don’t tell you everything. You don’t tell me everything.”

“I don’t want you and Ben to be friends…I told you that.”

Where the hell does he get off? My glare hardened.

“You and Amy are friends.”

He bent down slightly so he was at my eye level and I could hear the animosity in his voice. For some reason Ricky hates when I mention Amy…things are still a little rocky ever since that night in his apartment…we are slowly working through it…I guess…

“Amy and I have a son together.”

“Yeah, and I’m your girlfriend and Ben’s Amy’s boyfriend and when you and Amy are together, Ben and I talk…sometimes”

“I told you I don’t want you talking to Ben. Talking leads to sex.”

I gave him a look that clearly said ‘are you crazy?”

“Everyone talks!”

“Everyone has sex…”

“Not Ben!”

Ricky leaned back slightly and spoke in a softer voice.

“He didn’t have sex this summer? I thought that’s what he went over there for.”

“He went over there for a summer job…”

“And sex.”

“Well he didn’t have sex.”

“But, he would tell you if he did because the two of you are talking about sex.”

“I love you…and I’m not gonna have sex with Ben…or any other guy.”

He seemed frozen in his spot and I leaned up, pulled him toward me and kissed him. After a couple of seconds he responded before pulling away.

“Okay…”

I smirked.

“Okay…see you at school?”

He nodded.

“Yeah.”

He gave me one more kiss before turned around and heading off to school. I sighed. Sometimes I don’t know what goes through his head…who am I kidding…I never know what goes through his head.

(Ben POV)

I walked up the hallway and caught the end of Henry and Alice’s conversation. I came up behind them and spoke.

“What was great?”

Alice turned in my direction with a grin on her face.

“Henry…”

My eyes widened and I glanced at Henry. One of his eyes were black and blue and slightly swollen.

“Whoa…what happened to your eye?”

His face colored with embarrassment.

“You don’t want to know…so how are you this morning? Recover yet?”

“I don’t think you really recover from a summer like that Henry. I just think you learn to put it all in perspective.”

Alice raised an eyebrow.

“What did you do?”

I opened my mouth and Henry cut me off before I could say anything.

“Don’t tell her…”

“Fine don’t tell me and I won’t tell you.”

She had that silly grin on her face again and I frowned.

“There’s nothing to tell…not really…why do you have something to tell me?”

Henry shook his head.

“No…did you call Amy?”

I sighed.

“Almost everyday for a while…and then…not so much.”

Alice and Henry were looking at me quietly before Alice broke the silence.

“When was the last time you talked to her?”

I hesitated before speaking.

“I dunno…maybe two months ago…”

I let my sentence trail off and both sets of eyes widened like saucers. Great here we go…

“You broke up…”

I shook my head.

“No…we were fighting a lot and I got tired of fighting over the phone everyday so I just thought we could use some time to both calm down and…reevaluate things in our relationship. We didn’t break up…not yet anyway.”

Henry chimed in.

“Are you going to break up?”

“I’m not going to break up with her, but she might break up with me.”

Alice nodded.

“Because you didn’t call her? I don’t think she’d break up with you because you didn’t call her. Did you do something else?”

I am so sick of people just assuming I cheated on Amy…

“Like…”

“Like what you went there to do?”

I rolled my eyes.

“I went there to work…and I worked.”

They smirked at me and I just shook my head. Seriously everyone just needs to get off my back…

(Grace POV)

I was in the midst of talking to Jason when Ricky walked over to us and spoke with a smile on his face.

“What was hysterical?”

I smiled wide. It’s good to see Ricky. After a whole summer of medical camp it’s nice to be back among friends. Jason placed his hand on Ricky’s shoulder and leaned into him.

“Hi Ricky, good to see you.”

He smiled, nodded in my direction and walked away. Ricky watched him leave with an odd look on his face before turning toward me with a grin.

“How are you Grace?”

“I’m fine Ricky…and how are you? I mean that…how are you?”

I placed my hand on his arm and leaned in like I learned how to do over the summer. It’s important to instill confidence in your patient within the first 60 seconds of meeting and it’s nice to have friends and family I can practice on.

He raised an eyebrow, glanced at the hand on my shoulder, and then back at my face. Before he could answer me I heard a voice call my name.

“Grace!”

I glanced up grinned. Adrian!

“Adrian!”

I ran over to her and we squealed slightly before embracing. When she moved away I leaned in close and placed my hand on her arm.

“Are you doing okay?”

She laughed and moved back slightly.

“Whoa…oh I think so.”

Ricky glanced between us with a frown on his face before speaking.

“What’s with the close talk?”

“Oh nothing…it’s just doctor technique. How was your summer?”

Adrian lit up.

“Oh we were busy…really busy. Weren’t we Ricky?”

Adrian smirked and raised an eyebrow. Oh boy…she’s still at it with Ricky…

“Yeah, I worked at the butcher shop and spent a lot of time with John.”

“And me.”

I watched as he tried to stop from rolling his eyes as he motioned his head in Adrian’s direction.

“And her.”

Adrian frowned and I turned to Ricky.

“Her…”

“How’s John?”

I saw Ricky’s face beam. Wow…I bet he’s even a better dad then when I left.

“Thank you for asking…he’s fine.”

“And Amy?”

He opened his mouth, but Adrian cut him off.

“She’s find too…until Ben breaks up with her.”

My eyes widened and I frowned.

“Ben is breaking up with her?”

Adrian laughed and when I glanced at Ricky I saw the anger on his face.

“Maybe.”

“Are you still talking to Ben?”

She rolled her eyes and I glanced between them as they fought.

“Oh, there’s no harm in just talking to someone.”

“No, there is. You need to cut this out Adrian. Leave Ben alone and if he did something in Italy this summer then he should break up with Amy because she deserves better then that.”

I saw Adrian’s face darken at Amy’s name and she glared at Ricky. Uh oh…this is something I so do not want to be in the middle of…

(Amy POV)

I saw Ben standing at his locker by Alice and Henry and I took a deep breath and walked toward him with my face set in stone. I came up next to him and it took a second before he looked at me. Right as he opened his mouth the double doors to enter the school opened and the sun from outside shone in the hallway.

I glanced over at the door and when the two guys who opened the doors moved away my eyes locked on the girl walking through the doors. Holy crap…when I said she should change this morning…I didn’t mean into that…how did I not see her wearing that in the car?

I crossed my arms over my chest as I watched everyone in the hallway following her with their eyes and body. Once she was out of sight my eyes caught Ricky’s. He was a few feet down the hall from me and he raised an eyebrow at me and motioned in Ashley’s direction.

I shrugged. Who the hell knew what she was thinking…

*****

I sat in class as the teacher droned on and on about life. I sighed to myself. Listen lady…I know all about life and that ‘life comes form life’ I’m living proof of it. I hate this class already and the fact that Ben is sitting a few feet behind me isn’t helping.

Things used to be so easy…and now…now they’re just falling apart. Ben still hasn’t said a word to me and I don’t know how to fix this thing between us…or even if I want to…

As she continued giving her lecture I took a chance and turned my head in Ben’s direction. I saw a look of relief cross his face and a huge smile broke out on his face. I felt my heart flutter and I smiled back at him. Maybe we can fix things…

“Amy Juergens you are the most beautiful most frustrating woman on earth.”

I frowned and the class let out a few laughs. He must have thought he wasn’t talking out loud because he glanced around the classroom startled. When I faced forward the teacher was glaring at us. The bell rang and the class started getting there stuff together.

“You’re dismissed…except you two.”

She pointed toward me and Ben and when the class was gone she leaned on the desk and spoke.

“You two can copy chapter one into your little notebooks. It’s basically everything I just said. Now I know we all know what you said, but maybe you’d like to know what I said.”

Not really…I turned in my seat and glared at Ben. Great way to start talking again…oh wait that’s right he wasn’t talking to me…he was talking at me…How is this ever going to work?

(Ashley POV)

I rolled my eyes as I walked back toward my locker. Had I known people were going to be staring at me all day long I would have worn the original outfit I picked out this morning. I swallowed hard and opened my locker. As I put my books away someone came up and stood next to me.

“Hey there, how’s your day going?”

I raised an eyebrow and glanced at the guy standing next to my locker. Interesting…I wonder what he wants. I turned away from him as I spoke.

“Who wants to know?”

“Nice attitude…Griffin.”

I shut my locker, crossed my arms over my chest, and turned to face Griffin.
“Ashley…the teen mother’s sister.”

He raised an eyebrow and titled his head to the side. Are you kidding me? How can he not know about Amy…

“Well, I know that’s why everyone is staring at me. I’m the sister…”

He glanced around the hallway at the people walk by before gesturing to himself.

“I…I’m new here. I don’t know anything about that.”

“Well uh…my sister’s in the tenth grade and she had a baby last year.”

His eyes widened.

“Wow…I mean you know…stuff happens…”

“Yeah.”

If he only knew. He motioned around the hallway.

“Well, maybe you can point her out to me.”

I smirked, ran a hand through my hair, and crossed my arms back over my chest.

“Oh well she’s pretty easy to spot. She’s the really pretty one with the French horn who’s unusually tired.”

His brows furrowed.

“Is she tired from dragging around the horn or the baby?”

My grin widened. I think I might actually enjoy this kids company…

“That baby and just from being Amy…”

“So you planning to get pregnant your first year here?”

I gave him a slight glare.

“No, sorry I’m not. I’m not even planning to date my first year here. Maybe not even any year here…you know I don’t want guys to think I’d have sex just because my sister had sex once.”

He made a face and I could see the look of disbelief he was giving me.

“Well, is that true? It was just once?”

“Yeah.”

“Ehhh…”

I laughed lightly.

“Oh believe me when you meet her you’ll realize it’s totally true.”

“So…you have lunch now?”

I nodded.

“Yup.”

He smiled.

“You wanna have lunch with me?”

I looked away from him and I’m sure he heard the distaste in my voice.

“You make it sound as if it’s a date.”

He rolled his eyes.

“No, it’s not a date. It’s a lame attempt to make sure I’m not sitting by myself in the lunch room…not that I haven’t before.”

I suppose it couldn’t hurt…dad did tell me to make friends…

“Alright…as long as you’re not going to try to have sex with me.”

He laughed.

“I’m not gonna try to have sex with you. I’m gay okay.”

Huh, I wasn’t expecting that one.

“It’s okay with me. ..wow maybe we could even be friends. You know…I don’t think I’ve ever had a friend before…and my dads been really anxious for me to make one.”

He shrugged, nodded, and I saw his head turn to the right. I followed his line of sight as Ricky walked up to us. I wonder why he’s here…his voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“Is this guy bothering you?”

“Ah the father, but not the boyfriend. Ricky, Griffin, Griffin, Ricky.”

They nodded at each other and I watched Ricky size Griffin up. I’m not exactly sure what was going through his head, but he was hovering. I cleared my throat and spoke.

“And no, he’s not bothering me.”

I gave him a look that clearly said ‘back off, I’m a big girl.’ His posture relaxed slightly as he finally looked away from Griffin and at me.

“Alright…well I was just looking out for you.”

I felt a small bit of warmth growing inside me, but I squelched it. Ricky spent a lot of time with Amy this summer and he helps her out a lot…he’s turning into a pretty decent guy and I’m glad he’s there for her and John. I will never admit it out loud, but the fact that he felt the need to come over here and make sure I was okay went a long way…

I’m pretty sure Ricky considers me family now…and that’s good because it’s a possibility that he’s growing on me too…kinda like fungus…

“I don’t need anyone to look out for me.”

He gave me a tight smile and I glanced at Griffin.

“Come on.”

I started walking away and I saw Griffin glance at Ricky with a smirk before following me.

“You got it.”

I smiled. Hmm…I wonder if he’ll tell Amy about this…I guarantee by the end of the year those two will be together…poor Ben…he really is a great guy…I just don’t think he’s the guy for Amy…

(Ricky POV)

I parked my car on the street in front of Amy’s house and sighed. It’s been a ridiculously long day. I still can’t believe Adrian actually thought I was hitting on Ashley. Not only is she only 14, but she’s my sons aunt and most importantly Amy’s little sister.

Yeah, I’ve been known to hook up with all kinds of girls, but I’d never do that to Amy. Ashley is family and I was just trying to help her out…I know how high school guys think…hell I am a guy in high school and we all only want one thing.

I just don’t want Ashley to get herself into the same situation as Amy and I did. She’s a good kid. I pulled myself out of my car and headed to the kitchen door. I knocked, opened the door and walked in.

“Hey…anyone home?”

I glanced up and saw George and Anne in the kitchen. They glanced over at me and I froze.

“Uh…hey.”

Anne smiled and George nodded in my direction.

“Hey Ricky, I think Amy and John are in her room.”

“Thanks.”

I left them in the kitchen and walked down the hall to Amy’s room. When I was in the doorway I could see her leaning over John while she changed his diaper. I smiled and knocked on the door. She turned her head in my direction before turning back to John.

“Hey Ricky.”

“Hey.”

She pulled John’s pants back up, lifted him into her arms and turned in my direction as I walked into the room. I grinned as I stood in front of John.

“Hey buddy.”

He reached his arms out to me and I took him from Amy’s as he let out a few giggles. Amy gave me a warm smile before heading over to her dresser and grabbing a pair of pajamas. She motioned to the bathroom as she spoke.

“Um, I’m just gonna change real quick.”

I nodded.

“Yeah, that’s fine. Do your thing, I got him.”

I played with John for a bit before sitting down with him and talking to him until he fell asleep. About fifteen minutes later Amy walked back into the room, face washed, pajamas on, and ready for bed. She scrunched up her nose and glanced over at me and John.

“Is he sleeping?”

“Yeah, he must have been tired.”

She nodded as she climbed on top of her bed and sat down Indian style.

“Yeah, he had a long day.”

I rocked him gently as I glanced up at Amy. I smirked lightly.

“How’d your first day back go?”
She shrugged.

“Fine I guess. Went to class…got in trouble…spoke to Ben…came home.”

I nodded. She doesn’t seem too upset so I think it’s safe to say she’s still with Ben…

“You got in trouble? Even I managed to stay outta trouble today…what did you do?”

She gave me a slight glare and sighed.

“It wasn’t me, it was Ben. He said something in class and I guess he thought he didn’t say it out loud…well he did so we had to write all of chapter one in our notebooks…straight through the lunch period.”

I chuckled lightly.

“That sucks. Guy doesn’t know when to keep his mouth shut huh?”

She didn’t comment and I turned my attention to John as I watched his chest rise and fall.

“He got big.”

Her voice was soft when she spoke.

“Baby’s do that.”

I took a deep breath and glanced at her before broaching the next subject.

“You work things out with Ben?”

Her voice was hesitant when she spoke.

“I guess. He said that if things between us are going to…stay the way they are that we need to find things that we have in common…things we can do together with each other…and John…as a family.”

I looked away from her again and swallowed hard. I’m not sure why the thought of her, Ben and John as a family upset me…but it did. I didn’t like to think of Ben taking my place in John and Amy’s lives. Yeah, I’m not with Amy, but I’m still here for her and John and I don’t want to share that responsibility…it’s mine.

“That makes sense…”

I saw her look at me out of the corner of my eye.

“Yeah…I still think something’s going on with him…how about you? Classes went okay?”

I nodded.

“Yeah, they were fine.”
I got up, placed John in his crib, and faced Amy. I smirked.

“Wanna laugh?”

She folded her legs under herself and leaned against the headboard.

“Sure.”

“I saw Ashley talking to some guy in the hallway today so I went over to them to you know…make sure he wasn’t bothering her or anything.”

I saw Amy’s face soften.

“You were looking out for Ashley?”

I rubbed the back of my neck and shrugged. I hope she doesn’t make a big deal out of this or anything…

“Yeah, well…she’s John’s aunt and you know…”

“That’s nice of you Ricky…”

She must have seen that I was uncomfortable because she cleared her throat and nodded so I went on.

“Well, Ashley told me she didn’t need anyone to look after her. So after she walked off with this kid Griffin, Adrian came over and accused me of going after her.”

She raised an eyebrow.

“Like…”

Her voice trailed off and I nodded.

“Yeah.”

She laughed and then covered her mouth so the noise wouldn’t wake up John. I smiled.

“Wow…she actually thought you’d hit on Ashley?”

“Yeah…but you don’t? Think I’d hit on Ashley I mean…”

She made a face.

“No…she’s John’s aunt…she’s practically family to you and well…she’s my little sister…”

You know…it’s sad that Amy has more faith in me then my own so-called girlfriend. The room was quiet for a couple of minutes when we heard loud voices coming from the other room. I raised an eyebrow at Amy and she frowned.

We got up and walked into the hall toward the kitchen. We stood at the corner listening where they couldn’t see us and we caught the end of their conversation.

“I can fix this Anne…give me a chance…we can be a family again…let me fix this…”

“How George? How are you going to fix it?”

“I don’t know yet…but I will…”

My eyes widened slightly and I glanced to my right to see Amy and Ashley squashed next to each other. Amy had a grin on her face as she glanced between us and Ashley had a half smile half grimace on hers. And I thought things couldn’t get any crazier around here…looks like Adrian might have been right about Amy’s parents…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)