November 9, 2009

A Family is Born Chapter (9/13)



Chapter 10

Chapter 9
“A New Kind of Green”
(George POV)




I sat at the bar, sling on my arm as I looked at David. This guy has to know that I’m not giving Anne up without a fight…that’s my baby and he’s not gonna be the one to raise it.

“I know what this is about…it’s about the car.”

I shook my head.

“No. I thought about it and I thought you were right I was wrong. Amy needs a car…you wanna buy her a car buy her a car.”

I shrugged with my good arm and his brows furrowed.

“I already bought her a car and I don’t need permission to buy a car. Anne just wanted me to wait until she and I could talk and it’s been a busy week.”

I nodded.

“Is it a lease or did you buy it?”

“I don’t lease.”

I pointed at him and smirked.

“Smart man, neither do I.”

I saw confusion settle in on his face.

“Wait, if this isn’t about the car…”

“It isn’t about the car…it’s about the baby…my baby.”

He turned in his seat and started talking with his hands.

“I know it’s your baby. We figured that out. Are you just now figuring that out?”

I smirked.

“No.”

“What happened?”

I raised an eyebrow.

“What happened?”

“Yeah, you two haven’t said anything to each other in six months and now that the baby’s about to be here you want to talk about this?”

“I do.”

He sighed.

“There’s nothing to talk about. I love Anne.”

“Well Anne wants me to break up with you whether you love her or not because she’s having my baby. Yeah, I should know ‘cause I put it there.”

He gave me a look of distaste.

“See George, right there. That’s exactly what Anne hates about you. That crudeness.”

Who does this guy think he is? You know what…Ashley was right…the more I talk to this guy the more I feel like I’m Ricky in this situation and he’s Ben….no wonder Ricky and Ben can never get along…Ben is encroaching in Ricky’s territory…I just gleaned a whole new respect for the kid…

“That crudeness is what got her pregnant.”

“I know about the night in the garage. A night in a garage does not a life time make.”

My face scrunched up. This guy’s really pissing me off. He can’t have my family…end of discussion.

“What is that iambic pentameter? Or pig Latin?”

“Neither. What about the vasectomy?”

I grinned.

“I lied.”

He glared at me.

“She hates that too. That you lie. And you know what George she hates your sense of humor. It’s so pedestrian.”

“Oh, and I see you and Anne, your more intellectual equals than Anne and myself or Anne and me or Anne and I? Enlighten me.”

“Let’s see…”

I cut him off. There was anger in my voice when I spoke.

“I don’t really care. I ain’t got no education so I’ll just have to use my brain.”

“I thought you graduated from college.”

“Not a good one.”

“Still I’m surprised that Anne would even want you to have this conversation with me.”

He looked smug and that pissed me off even more.

“You were a sickly child weren’t you? Spent a lot of the time in the house with legos…you fantasized what life would be like outside those gates of the estate you grew up in, but you never really found out so let me tell you. Life outside those gates is crap and it’s real and it’s messy.”

I leaned in closer to him before continuing.

“You can’t plan it and you can’t control it. All you can do is live it….and you can’t live it with my wife and my daughters and my baby.”

He set his face and looked me in the eye.

“You wanna bet?”

I glared at him. This is gonna be more difficult than I originally thought…

(Adrian POV)

I sat on the couch waiting for my father to finish his work. I sighed.

“Are you finished yet?”

“Nope, are you finished with your home work yet?”

I rolled my eyes, turned over and leaned against the back of the couch facing him.

“I’ve been finished. Dad just take a break and go and see the house. Hurry you have to hurry. It’ll be gone if George ever really puts it on the market.”

I pouted in his direction and he let out a heavy sigh before looking up at me.

“Adrian it’s not on the market and even if it were I don’t know if your mother and I like the house.”

I could hear the whine in my voice as I spoke.

“But you haven’t seen the inside of the house. It’s the perfect house…and you know what they say…it’s all about location, location, location. You couldn’t get a better location.”

He raised an eyebrow and I could see his lip turn up at the corner slightly.

“Yeah, for spying on Ricky, but I don’t think that has much value as far as re-sale.”

I made a face. Okay so I wanna live there so I can keep an eye on Ricky…what’s the big deal?

“Adrian, I have to make the decision about buying a home. I’m the one who has to pay for it.”

“Okay…well just take a look at it…please? George won’t mind…come on.”

“We will look at the house when the house is on the market. That’s all I can promise you.”

I let out a loud sigh and rolled my eyes as I got off the couch.

“Alright…well then I’m just going to go over to Grace’s.”

I was grabbing my keys when he spoke.

“It’s a school night.”

“We’ll do homework.”

He smirked.

“What homework? You said you were finished with your homework.”

I made a face.

“Okay, I know you’re a DA, but take the night off.”

I started walking toward the door.

“There’s no night off from being your dad. What are you up to? Are you going over to Ricky’s?”

“I’m going over to Grace’s house to get away from you and we’re not doing homework…happy?”

He leaned back in his chair and watched me. I gave him a tight smile and left. Maybe Grace wants to see the house my family will be moving to soon. I grinned to myself and went to go pick Grace up.

(Ashley POV)

I glanced up from taking the garbage out and saw Adrian pull up with Grace in the car. Wonderful…this is just what we need…a surprise visit from Adrian. I sighed and waited for them to get out of the car and walk over to me.
“Hey Ashley.”

“Adrian…”

I let them follow me into the house. Grace shut the door behind her as Adrian spoke.

“So, your dad’s not home?”

“No, sorry he’s not. I think he’s next door if you wanna go over there, but mom doesn’t know he’s thinking about selling the house so, I wouldn’t mention it in front of her.”

I turned to face them and Adrian shook her head.

“No, of course not, but I don’t want to bother him if he’s with your mom. Could we wait?”

Grace looked at Adrian and then chimed in.

“We don’t have to if you don’t want us to or if it’s inconvenient.”

I shrugged. I don’t really think Adrian cares if it’s inconvenient…this is the second time she’s invited herself over.

“I really don’t care.”

Adrian grinned.

“Thanks.”

Grace took that moment to move in, place a hand on my shoulder and give me an intense look.

“By the way, how are you doing with school Ashley?”

I raised an eyebrow and glanced at her hand.

“Personal space alert Grace.”

She smiled and back away.

“I understand.”

“Do you mind if I just see what the view is like from the window?”

Ah, of course…she’s here to spy on Ricky and Amy…it’s the only reason she wants this house…I turned to Adrian and motioned to the window.

“Go ahead…Ricky and Amy are in the living room.”

She moved over to the window and squinted. Grace glanced between me and Adrian and gave me an uncomfortable look.

“I don’t feel right about this. We should have called first.”

I shrugged.

“Well she didn’t call last time either so don’t worry about it.”

Grace’s eyes widened and her mouth dropped open as her head whipped around to face Adrian who was looking out the window intently.

“Adrian, you’ve already seen the house?”

“Yeah, I’ve seen it.”

“You told me you never saw it.”

“I lied.”

Grace opened her mouth, but before she could say anything Adrian spoke again.

“Are they fighting?”

Grace’s eyes went wide and she moved over to the window. I rolled my eyes and followed them. Great…this is exactly what our crazy family unit needs…people watching us fight…

(Amy POV)

I followed Ricky into the living room with a glare on my face. Things have been going good with us lately. We’ve been getting along and he’s been helping out a lot, but I also know he’s been talking to Ben since he’s been back from Italy. There has been something different about Ben since he came back…and I’m convinced Ricky knows what it is…

“I know that you know.”

He turned to face me and shook his head.

“I don’t know Amy…”

“You don’t know if Ben had sex this summer?”

“No…”

I grabbed the front of his shirt and held on as my voice grew louder as I spoke.

“I know that you know.”

He frowned and pushed my hands off of him.

“Hey, don’t do that.”

I took a step back and I could feel the tears pooling in my eyes. I saw the anger leave his body as he sighed.

“I have to know. I have to.”

He laughed lightly before speaking.

“I’m telling you…I don’t know. I don’t know if Ben had sex or not. What makes you even think he had sex?”

I folded my arms across my chest.

“Because he’s acting all grown up and reasonable. He wants us to find something we both have in common and spend some time doing activities that we both enjoy.”

He smirked.

“He sounds like someone’s parent. He does not sound like my boyfriend. My boyfriend Ben wanted to have sex…”

I trailed off and Ricky raised an eyebrow at me.

“So have sex with him.”

I made a face.

“I don’t want to have sex with him. I wanna know if he had sex before I waste my time finding some stupid activity that we both enjoy.”

Ricky titled his head to the side.

“Wouldn’t you both enjoy sex?”

“I didn’t find sex that much fun…”

It wasn’t intended as an insult, but by his reaction I’m assuming that’s how he took it. He scoffed.

“Yeah, keep telling yourself that.”

I frowned.

“I didn’t have fun.”

He shrugged.

“I think you did…and didn’t Ben tell you he didn’t have sex?”

I rolled my eyes.

“What else is he gonna tell me? I mean look at you. You sleep with people who aren’t Adrian, but you don’t tell her because you know she won’t sleep with you anymore if she finds out…so what would make you think that Ben would tell me if he slept with someone else?”

He gave me a startled look and I sighed.

“What makes you think I’m sleeping with people aside from Adrian?”

I gave him a ‘give me some credit’ look and he shrugged.

“Okay fine…so I’m sleeping with other people…what do you care?”

“I don’t. I was just using it as an example. Listen, I’m sorry about before okay…I just…if I’m gonna make up with Ben…if I’m going to take the time to make this relationship work then I want to know it’s worth it and if he cheated on me then I don’t want to waist my time.”

He nodded.

“That’s understandable I guess…listen…I’ll see what I can do…you know to find out if anything happened or not.”

I glanced up at him and my eyes widened.

“Really?”

He nodded.

“Sure...”

My anger was slowly draining away and I smiled.

“Thanks Ricky…”

I moved over and caught him off guard when I pulled him into a hug. He slowly wrapped his arms around me and we stood like that for a minute. I felt his body tense and I pulled away enough so I could see his face. He was looking out the window and I glanced in the same direction, but I didn’t see anything.

“What? Everything okay?”

He looked back at me and nodded.

“Nothing and yeah, everything’s fine. Come on, let’s check on John real quick and then I should probably get going.”

I nodded and he smiled before leading me toward my room. It’s good to know that even though the fights Ricky and I have get intense sometimes…that it doesn’t take long before we’re okay again…It’s nice knowing he’ll always be here if John and I need him.

(Ricky POV)

After making sure Amy and John were okay I walked next door to George’s house. I opened the side door leading into the kitchen, walked in, and saw Adrian sitting at the table using her phone. Unbelievable…I knew I saw her spying on me…this is seriously taking things to a new level.

She was really starting to frustrate me.

“What are you doing here?”

She glanced up at me and played innocent.

“What are you doing here?”

“I asked you first. Are you spying on me? Why would you be spying on me? I’m just at Amy’s visiting my son.”

She rolled her eyes, sighed, and shifted on the chair.

“Mmmhmm…”

“Don’t start following me around…I don’t like that.”

Her brows arched and I could see her starting to get angry.

“I’m not following you around I was just dropping by to see George.”

Why would she be stopping by to see George?

“George is with Anne and why would you be dropping by to see George you have a father now.”

She grinned.

“Yeah, and my father’s buying George’s house.”

What? No…Adrian can’t move in next door to Amy…crap…

“What? So you’d be living next to Amy?”

Her grin widened.

“Mmmhmm.”

Before I could say anything else Grace came bounding down the steps and another wave of confusion over took me. I looked from Grace to Adrian.

“What’s she doing here?”

“Oh, just looking at our new house.”

Grace smiled at me and then looked at Adrian.

“Hi Ricky…we were just leaving.”

“Is she kidding?”

Grace raised an eyebrow.

“About?”

I sighed in frustration.

“Buying the house?”

She laughed lightly.

“I don’t think so.”

That doesn’t make any sense. I’m almost positive that if Ashley and George were selling the house Amy would have told me…

“Where are George and Ashley moving?”

Before anyone could answer the door open and Jack walked in. Unbelievable…why does everyone always seem to convene where I am…or in the midst of my personal life? He smiled and made his way over to Grace.

“Hey guys.”

He leaned in and she gave him a kiss.

“Hey.”

“What are you doing here?”

Grace turned away from Jack and looked at me.

“I asked him to pick me up so Adrian could talk to you.”

Jack looked over at Adrian and smiled.

“Hey Adrian.”

She smirked.

“Hi Jack.”

I shook my head. This is all getting out of hand. Grace’s voice broke into my thoughts.

“Okay well, this has been fun…goodnight.”

Jack smiled and Grace followed him out. Two down one to go…I looked back at Adrian and sent a glare her way. Before I could tell her that she should probably go the door opened again and Amy walked in. She saw me and gave me a questioning look as she walked in until she spotted Adrian.

She raised and eyebrow glanced at the stairs and froze. Adrian took that moment to get up and stand as close to me as possible. She spoke in a sarcastic tone.

“Ooohh...look who’s here…”

Terrific…Adrian is gonna start with Amy again…She gave Adrian a slightly dirty look and directed her question at me.

“What’s going on?”

“Did you know Adrian’s dad is buying your dad’s house?”

Amy smirked and let out something between a chuckle and a snort.

“No he isn’t…”

I pointed to Adrian.

“Yes he is…well Adrian says he is anyway.”

“That’s ridiculous. My dad’s not selling his house.”

I turned to Adrian and gave her an ‘I told you so’ smirk. I knew Amy would have at least forewarned me if she knew Adrian was moving in next door. Adrian tilted her head to the side and placed her hands on her hips as she looked at Amy.

“Your dad’s getting back together with your mom so someone’s buying the house. Might as well be my family.”

She shook her head.

“No, no one is buying my dad’s house. He’s not moving. He’s certainly not moving back in with us.”

Adrian glared at Amy and took a step toward her as she spoke in a hard voice.

“It’s his baby.”

“Yeah so?”

“So, he’s moving back over there.”

Amy folded her arms across her chest.

“There’s no room for him over there.”

I heard footsteps and glanced up. Ashley made her way down the stairs and glanced between the three of us.

“There’s not room for her either.”

“Says who?”

Adrian motioned toward Ashley.

“Oh you can stay with us. I’d hate for you to have to endure her.”

I rolled my eyes as Ashley spoke.

“Well that’s an interesting proposition…let me think about it.”

I shook my head.

“Like you’re gonna live with Adrian and her mom and her dad. You’re not gonna do that.”

I laughed and Ashley turned a glare on me.

“You’re not telling me what to do.”

I opened my mouth, but Amy cut me off.

“He’s right Ashley. You need to stay here with dad because I need your room for the nursery.”

Ashley rolled her eyes.

“Get real Amy.”

“Mom is not getting back together with dad just because she’s having his baby.”

Ashley turned to Amy and her voice grew louder.

“If dad wants to sell the house to Adrian’s family he can.”

“Not and move back in…mom’s not gonna let him!”

Lately it hasn’t been too hard to read Amy. Her hormones are still a bit skittish from everything and I could tell she was getting increasingly upset. I needed to diffuse the situation, but I had no idea how to.

“Guys…”

Adrian cut me off and Advance on Amy. Her voice was harsh as she yelled at her.

“Oh, you think you know everything just because you had a baby…”

Oh boy…that wasn’t a good place to go…this can’t end well…Amy whirled on Adrian and glared at her.

“No I don’t….”

She glanced at me.

“Do I Ricky?”

I looked between Amy and Adrian and I could see the smirk on Ashley’s face. No matter what I said here I wasn’t gonna win…I hesitated before speaking.

“Kind of…”

She glared at me and cut me off before I could finish my sentence.

“Oh thanks a lot Mr. Father of my baby…”

She looked at Adrian and raised an eyebrow.

“Ricky’s the father of my baby and he’s not moving in with us so why would my dad move back into the house with my mom just because he’s the father of her baby?”

I sent Adrian a grin. Amy was right…and I knew that had to piss Adrian off. Amy shook her head and stormed out of the kitchen. I stood there next to Adrian as Ashley tried not to laugh. Adrian smirked.

“You know actually this is kinda fun. Everyone in my future kitchen…all together like this.”

I glared at her.

“No, it isn’t and you were out of line with what you said to Amy. You can’t keep doing this Adrian.”

She rolled her eyes.

“Well I think it is…and please Amy will get over it.”

“That’s not the point.”

She waved me off.

“I can’t wait to move in…goodnight guys…”

She waved and walked out. When the door closed I glanced at Ashley.

“I do not want Adrian living next door to Amy.”

“Why not? Afraid she’ll catch you lying about where you are?”

I laughed.

“You think I’m afraid of her?”

“Ah, question not an answer.”

I shrugged.

“I don’t care if she catches me cheating. I wish she’d catch me cheating then she’d break up with me and I wouldn’t have to deal with all this drama.”

“Is that why you want her to catch you? Or do you want her to catch you so she can some how make you stop cheating?”

“I can’t stop…I don’t want to.”

“I bet you can do a lot of things you didn’t think you could do.”

“Like what?”

“Like you probably never thought you could be a good father…but you are…maybe you could be a good guy for a change…”

You know sometimes I think Ashley is the most insightful person in the whole family…

“Maybe I don’t want to…maybe I don’t want to be a good guy for Adrian…”

She tilted her head to the side and I could almost see the wheels in her head turning.

“Well then…maybe you wanna be a good guy for Amy…”

My brows furrowed in confusion…Amy…

*****

(Adrian POV)

I made my way down the hall from band practice when I spotted Ricky. He was looking around the hallway searching for something and his eyes finally landed on me. He gave me a frustrated look and came over so he was walking with me.

“Who’re you looking for?”

“You. I was looking for you. Didn’t you hear me yelling for you when we left the field?”

“Uh…I did, but I didn’t feel like talking to you in front of everyone…what do you want?”

He sighed and I knew it wasn’t something good.

“Adrian…I have to tell you something.”

Oh no…not a chance. There’s no way I’m gonna let him tell me he’s cheating on me just so I’ll break up with him…there’s no way…

“No you don’t…you don’t have to tell me anything.”

We made it to my locked and I put in the combination and spun the lock until it opened.

“I think I do…”

“No…not now, not anytime. I don’t wanna know ever.”

“Yeah well, you’re gonna know.”

I turned away from my locker to face him as he continued to speak.

“So, I’m gonna tell you and if you don’t want to know why would you go through all the trouble to have you dad buy a house just so you could spy on me?”

I glanced to my right and saw Ben coming down the stairs. Ah ha…I’m saved. I turned in his direction and called out to him.

“Ben…”

He glanced between me and Ricky and then walked over to us.

“Oh, hey guys. What’s up?”

“You’re here early?”
He nodded and motioned to the book he was carrying in his hand.

“A yeah, I just wanted to get a book from the library. Cribbage…I learned to play this summer…hopefully Amy likes it.”

Ricky glared at Ben.

“Do you mind? I was trying to talk to Adrian.”

I waved Ricky off.

“We can talk later. So how are you Ben? How are you and Amy?”

“We’re good. Friday night date night tonight...”

My face lit up. Good Amy wouldn’t be crawling to Ricky any time soon…

“Oh so you worked everything out? You and Amy?”

Ben opened his mouth, but Ricky cut him off.

“Who cares…?”

“We did actually. Thank you. It was a little rocky at first, but now we’re fine and tonight Cribbage…which hopefully will become a past time for a life time.”

I laughed.

“Wait so Cribbage, what is that?”

He opened his mouth and Ricky cut him off again.

“Adrian…I don’t care and you don’t care and I doubt if Amy even cares.”

Ben glared at him.

“You know what Ben, Amy thinks this whole find something in common routine is just a cover for your trying to be interested in her, but you’re not because you had sex with some other girl or girls this summer.”

I glanced between them and they both looked angry. I hate how protective Ricky is of Amy…it drives me crazy…at first I thought it was because she’s the mother of his son…but lately…well I’m just not sure anymore.

“She’s hounding me to tell her that you had sex with some girl or girls this summer. So, why don’t you just tell her?”

“Because I didn’t…”

I broke into their fight and spoke in a low serious voice.

“And even if he did, he shouldn’t tell Amy.”

I looked pointedly at Ricky.

“Because if he does, she will never, ever feel the same for him.”

I glared at both of them before walking away. Ricky and I have always had the kind of relationship where we cheat on each other…but for once I just want things to be normal with us…I love Ricky and I want a real relationship with him…

(Ashley POV)

I walked down the hallway with Griffin and rolled my eyes as he nagged at me to let him come over.

“You don’t want to come over to my house and watch Twilight Zone.”

“No, of course not. I wanna see your crazy family in action. Everyone else gets to come over. Come on what are you ashamed of me?”

We stopped walking and I turned toward him and laughed.

“Yeah, I would be ashamed to have you as my friend when I live with my family.”

Before Griffin could respond a guy walked over to us, glanced in my direction and smiled.

“Hey, I just wanted to introduce myself. I’m Marc.”

Griffin gave him a once over and frowned. I smiled at him. He’s actually kinda good looking…

“Hi Marc.”

“Bye Marc. Get away she’s not interested.”

Marc turned in Griffin’s direction slightly and ignored him before smiling at me again and walking away. I shook my head.

“Okay…I admit he was kind of tempting. So, I guess I owe you…you can come over.”

Griffin smiled.

“You do owe me.”

I huffed and glared lightly at him.

“Don’t you have a guy to go out with?”

“I thought we made a pact? No dating in high school.”

I grinned.

“Pacts can be broken.”

“Yeah well, not tonight. I’ll drop by at what 8…8:30?”

“Yeah, okay…”

I waved as he went down the opposite hallway and sighed. Off to class I go…

*****

(Ricky POV)

I walked into my apartment with John in my arms. It’s been a long day. Fighting with Adrian and Ben, and then getting into a small argument with Amy because I told Ben she was asking if he had sex in Italy…which I never meant to tell him I was just angry at the time…

Things were fine now though, but still. I didn’t like when she was angry with me. I know Amy’s had a slight attitude problem lately, but usually I was able to make her feel better and she didn’t really yell at me anymore…we’ve been able to come to an understanding that works for us…

I shut the door behind me and smiled at John.

“We’re home…you like coming to daddy’s house…don’t you?”

He glanced around the room as he babbled.

“Dadadadada….”

I laughed.

“Come on let’s put you in your high chair. There you go.”

I gave him his two plastic forks and taped them lightly against his high chair.

“There you go buddy…you can drum while daddy heats up your bottle.”

I stood up and my cell phone rang. I took it out of my pocket and it was Adrian. I still wasn’t 100 percent sure what I wanted to do about that situation. Lately I’ve been starting to think that maybe the reason I keep pushing Adrian away is because…maybe I have feelings for Amy…

I think with Ben out of the picture I might have a shot, but maybe it’s time to give up on that. They’re staying together…I mean there out to dinner tonight working things out…she’d never leave a guy like Ben for a guy like me and I don’t even know if I’d be able to be faithful to her…

And if we did take that step…if we decided to be in a relationship and I mess it up…that’s something that Amy would never be able to forgive and it might screw up my being able to see John whenever I want…and I don’t think I’d be able to take that chance…

I ignored the call and bent back down to John’s level. He had picked up the forks and he was playing around with them. I took his arms and gently showed him how to tap down with the forks and then I let go.

“You try…”

He lifted the fork and tried to feed me with it. It fell out of his hand and he banged his little fists on the high chair. I laughed. I’m glad Amy let me take John tonight…About twenty minutes later John was finished with his bottle and I was still playing with him in the high chair.

There was a knock on my door and I made a face. I glanced at the clock. That’s weird…it’s early…Amy would have called when she was on her way so I could get everything ready…I walked over to the door and opened it.

My smile faded as Adrian looked at me.

“Hi…”

“John’s here.”

She seemed startled.

“Oh, I didn’t know you had John tonight…but how would I since you wouldn’t take my calls…”

I sighed. I didn’t want to fight with her again…I’m tired of fighting.

“You wouldn’t talk to me at school so why should I talk to you?”

She took a deep breath, but I didn’t see anger on her face like I expected to.

“Would it be possible for me to actually come inside? Look, I know you don’t want me around John for whatever reason, but I promise I won’t go near him. I think maybe we should talk…or at least I hope you still want to talk to me.”

I could hear the vulnerability in her voice so I shrugged and moved aside so she could come in.

“Alright…you wanna come in come in.”

I walked toward John and waited for her to come inside and shut the door. I lifted him up and turned toward her with a smile on my face. She glanced at him and then gave me a warm smile.

“He’s cute…he looks like you.”

I glanced from John to Adrian and I grinned.

“You think so? Everyone thinks he looks more like Amy.”

She made a face.

“Really? No, well I don’t….so…what did you want to tell me?”

I looked at her and I could see her trying to be brave. I care about Adrian…I do…I don’t want to keep hurting her…Amy’s working things out with Ben…if she’s going to have someone there for her…why shouldn’t I have someone there for me?

I shook my head.

“Nothing.”

She seemed surprised.

“No?”

“No. What’d you come over here to tell me?”

“Nothing…Ricky…is there anyway you and I can see each other without having any ‘friends’? Cause I just want a chance to see if there really is anything real between us without always trying to even the score. Is it possible…that we could be some other way? Is it possible for us to be different? Is it possible for us to change because I know you have to care about me because you don’t usually go back to the same bed over and over again.”

She paused and I swallowed hard. I don’t know if I can be what she needs…I don’t want to give her up…I don’t want to hurt her, but I’m not sure if I can commit to her…She took another deep breath and spoke again.

“I know I’m the one you always come back too…and this time…I wanna be the one you never leave.”

I shook my head.

“Never…Adrian…we’re in high school and I’m me.”

I glanced at John and she stood there watching us.

“I love you Ricky…and I just want to know if there’s a chance…that you could ever love me back…”

I stood there as she waited and I couldn’t think of what to say. Could I ever love Adrian? Maybe…would I ever be able to give her what she wants? What she needs? I don’t know…Am I willing to try? That’s a question that even I don’t have the answer to at the moment…

(Amy POV)

I felt a hand on my arm and then someone calling my name.

“Ames…”

I glanced over and saw Ben. I furrowed my brows and looked around. We were in a restaurant. Oh god…how embarrassing…

“Oh no…am I asleep?”

He laughed good naturedly.

“You were, yeah.”

“I’m sorry.”

He shook his head.

“It’s okay.”

“It’s not okay.”

I leaned over and placed my head against his shoulder as I spoke.

“Thank you for always being so understanding.”

He snorted lightly.

“I’m not always so understanding.”

I smiled.

“Yeah you are.”

“No, I’m not.”

I lifted my head off his shoulder and looked at him.

“When aren’t you understanding?”

He hesitated before speaking.

“I just feel like there is some unfinished business about this summer and I just want to clear the air.”

“Ben…you know Ricky was over every day this summer…he’s been over everyday since John was born…”

“That’s not exactly where I was heading but, did Ricky ever sleep over again? Other then the time I caught him sleeping over?”

I swallowed. There’s no reason for me to lie because nothing happened, but honestly I don’t even think he has a right to ask me that…he spent two whole months over the summer completely ignoring me…didn’t call, didn’t write…and what I’m supposed to tell him everything that happened here but I don’t get to know what went on with him?

“What?”

“I’m sorry I’ve been thinking about that all night…and that was a what not a no…”

I sighed.

“Yes…he did sleep over…sleep.”

He nodded.

“Alright…that’s good to know…”

I glared at him.

“Did you have sex this summer?”

He hesitated before looking at me.

“No.”

“You didn’t?”

“No.”

I watched his face and I could see that he was hiding something. I shook my head.

“You know Ben…I used to think that you would never lie to me…and now for some reason…I’m just not so sure…”

“Okay…confession time…I lied…no I mean…Adrian told me Ricky slept over a couple of time this summer and I’ve been waiting for you to tell me.”

I frowned.

“That’s what been bothering you?”
He nodded.

“One of the things…”

“So I guess Ricky told Adrian and Adrian told you…”

He frowned.

“Actually no…I guess every time Ricky went over to your house this summer he would call Adrian when he got home…and there were a few times he never called…so she just assumed…”

His voice trailed off and I could feel the anger boiling inside of me. I hate Adrian…I don’t know who she thinks she is to be telling Ben things that she isn’t even sure are true, but I’m so tired of her…

“Are these rings paid for?”

“Uh huh.”

I nodded.

“I wanna go.”

“Alright, I’ll take you home if that’s what you want.”

“I don’t wanna go home. I want to go over to Ricky’s and get my son.”

I started moving to get out of the booth and Ben shifted.

“Amy…”

“Don’t…let’s just go.”

Five minutes later we were in the car on the way to Ricky’s. Ben’s driver parked in front of the butcher shop and we walked upstairs. I knocked on Ricky’s door and called out to him.

“Ricky, open up it’s me.”

The door opened and he smiled at me. I started to return it until I saw Adrian holding my son. I glared at her and my voice was seething when I spoke.

“You put him down this minute.”

She smiled at me.

“Don’t get upset…I was just holding him…”

I walked in and took John out of Adrian’s arms. I looked at Ricky and backed away with John. He was standing very still and I sent a glare his way. Adrian stepped toward me and placed her hands on her hips.

“That’s Ricky’s son too Amy and I can hold him whenever I want.”

I opened my mouth, but Ricky spoke.

“Adrian, would you stop.”

He sighed and looked at me.

“I’m sorry Amy…I didn’t realize you’d have a problem with it…”

His voice trailed off and Adrian shot daggers at him.

“Ricky! Don’t apologize to her.”

He glanced at her and shook his head.

“Stop…if Amy doesn’t want you holding John…then…you can’t…I’m sorry…it was a mistake.”

I could see her shaking her head and a look of disappointment crossed her face.

“I thought things were gonna change…why do you always take her side Ricky? I’m trying to be a part of your life, but you won’t let me in…why does she get to make all the decisions…huh?”

He glanced between us and I watched him rub a hand over his face before speaking.

“Because she’s his mother Adrian…that’s why…”

I watched tears gather in her eyes before she grabbed her stuff pushed between me and Ben and took off down the hallway. Ben looked between me and Ricky and sighed.

“Ames…don’t you think that was a little harsh?”

I raised an eyebrow.

“No, I really don’t. I don’t want her near my son…”

He looked at Ricky and motioned toward the hallway.

“Aren’t you going to go after her? Make sure she’s okay?”

He shook his head.

“She’ll be fine. She just needs some time to cool off.”

He frowned at both of us.

“Well I’m gonna go make sure she’s okay.”

He turned around and started to walk down the hallway. I called out to him.

“Ben…”

He shook his head.

“You know…I didn’t want to fight with you because that’s all we seem to be doing lately, but you’ve been acting really childish…you’re a mom now Amy…you can’t just throw fights when you get angry…”

Ricky cut Ben off.

“I think it’s time for you to go. You wanted to make sure Adrian was okay didn’t you? Well she’s probably already starting the car. Good night Ben.”

Ben’s jaw tensed, but he turned back around and walked back down the stairs to the butcher shop. I stood there my eyes filling up with tears again for what felt like the hundredth time that day. Ricky leaned against the doorframe and opened the door wider.

“It’s been a long day…for me and obviously yours hasn’t been so great either…why don’t you and John crash here…I have the space and he was supposed to spend the night anyway…”

I glanced back at the empty hall and bit my lip. Ben was my ride and he’s most likely gone by now…it’s not like Ricky’s never spent the night at my house before…I can stay here…it doesn’t mean anything…I nodded.

“Okay…”

I walked inside and he shut the door behind us. Sleeping in Ricky’s apartment with John doesn’t need to mean anything…it’s just two people with a baby…being there for each other…and if that’s the case why is my heart beat racing…this isn’t good…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)