December 5, 2009

Memories of Us Chapter (12/13)



Chapter 12
‘Dreams Are The Reality of Our Hearts’




“Sometimes you don't know what you're missing until you reach out to touch it. Sometimes you can't see how beautiful something is until it steps back into the light. And sometimes you miss a love you almost didn't lose. But when you need beauty, dream. Though dreams can be deceiving, like faces are to hearts, they serve for sweet relieving, when fantasy and reality lie too far apart.”


The River Court
Tree Hill- 2013



Brooke glanced around and frowned. What in the world am I doing at the River Court? The last thing she remembered was being at Lucas’ funeral. She started walking towards the street when she heard the sound of a basketball bouncing on the ground.

She turned and gasped. Her hand flew to her mouth. Less than fifteen feet in front of her stood Lucas, ball in his hand smile on his face.

“Hey there Pretty Girl.”

Her voice was barely audible.

“Lucas?”

He laughed.

“Who else?”

Brooke took off at a run and launched herself into his arms. Lucas let out an ‘oomph’ and dropped his ball when her body collided with his. He wrapped his arms around her and she tightened her hold around his neck. Her words were muffled as she spoke against his neck.

“Oh god Luke…I thought I lost you…I knew you wouldn’t leave. Oh thank god…I love you…”

Lucas swallowed hard and gently pried her off of him. She gave him a blinding grin and it broke his heart. He shook his head as he looked at her.

“Brooke…”

The smile left her face and she took a few hesitant steps backward as she shook her head at the look on his face.

“No…no it can’t be true…”

“Baby…you’re dreaming.”

A look of confusion crossed her face.

“What?”

“You’re dreaming. I’m so sorry Brooke. I know I made promises to you…”

She cut him off.

“Promises…that’s right…you did. Damn it Luke! I need you. Don’t you get that? Don’t you understand I can’t raise our daughter without you. I can’t have this…this life without you…”

Her voice trailed off as the tears came.

“Brooke I need you to calm down and listen to me. It’s important…please…what happened to my Cheery?”

Brooke’s eyes met his and the broken hearted look he saw their cut him to his core. If he was still alive, it might have killed him to see her like that.

“Her husband died in front of her while she was making him dinner.”

Lucas let out a deep breath.

“I know it hurts…”

She cut him off and he saw anger flash across her face.

“You know it hurts? Really? Are you the one left here to raise our four-month-old daughter alone? Are you the one people are feeling sorry for? Are you the one who has to live when the person you love most is gone? Are you…”

Her voice broke and she sobbed.

“No…I’m not, but Brooke I’m not gone. Don't you see that?”

She frowned and he continued.

“We had ten amazing years together…you were in my life in some capacity for ten years and I wouldn’t give up those ten years for anything. Our house was full of love…we created our daughter with love…and what now that I’m gone that love is gone to?”

He shook his head and walked towards her slowly.

“You need to be the Brooke Scott I know and love. You need to be strong for our daughter, because you’re right. I’m not going to be there to raise her, so she needs her mother. I’ll always be with you…I’ll always be in your heart. You’re the love of my life…”

He smiled down at her and she attempted to smile through her tears. Her voice was low as she clutched onto him.

“How Luke? How do I let you go? How do I go on when it hurts so much?”

“You take it one day at a time. That’s all anyone can ask. It won’t be easy, but I know you can do it.”

“And what about you?”

He shrugged.

“What about me?”

She shrugged.

“I just don’t understand how this happened Luke…you were a healthy 25-year-old. How do you just have a heart attack out of nowhere? How am I going to go back into our home and not see you lying on the floor…”

The tears started again and Lucas shushed her as he caressed the back of her head.

“You’re always going to remember Brooke. It’s not about forgetting. It’s about remembering the good times. It’s about looking at the life we had and remembering how much I loved you and our daughter. I need you to live for me…experience life where I can’t…you have to do this. Look at me.”

She looked up, met his eyes and bit her lip.

“I don’t know how…I don’t know how to leave you behind.”

He smiled and pushed a strand of hair behind her ear as he spoke in a soft voice.

“So don’t…bring me along in here.”

Lucas placed a hand over Brooke’s heart.

“If you bring me with you in here…I promise I will always be with you…”

Brooke knew she was dreaming, but she also knew Lucas was right. Her life might have felt like it ended when Lucas died, but it didn’t. She still had a family that needed her. She still had friends that needed her. She was still alive as much as it felt like she wasn’t.

She took a step back and Lucas let her. She wiped her eyes and gave him a once over.

“I love you so much Luke.”

“I love you too Brooke.”

She nodded.

“How do I do it? Tell me how I fix the pain…how I go on.”

He smiled and it was almost like she could feel his warmth enveloping her. Lucas’ body started to fade and she frowned as his voice echoed around the river court

“You start off by leaving here…wake up Brooke…wake up…”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback is always appreciated! :)