October 1, 2010

Inconceivable Love Chapter (3/5)

Banner By: Doomedxdream

Chapter 3
‘A Quick Fix’




It had taken two days and several phone calls, but Chloe had finally gotten Perry to agree to let them work from Smallville for the next two months, that way Evan could finish out the school year with his friends. She glanced at the clock in the kitchen and sighed.

It was close to ten o’ clock, Evan was already in bed and Clark still wasn’t home yet. Chloe lifted another box from the floor onto the counter, tore it open and started unpacking a few dishes. Lana had kindly offered up Nell’s old house as a place for her and Clark to stay while they were waiting to head back to Metropolis.

She was in the process of reaching into the cabinet when there was a gush of wind tilting her off balance. The plate in her hand sailed to the ground and Clark’s hand shot out before it hit the floor. He grinned, body still encased in his suit.

She crossed her arms over her chest and the smile left his face. Uh oh, she had her serious face on which didn’t bode well for him. It usually meant he was in some kind of trouble, but he couldn’t remember doing anything to piss her off today.

“Hey.”

“Hey?”

He nodded a look of confusion crossing his face.

“Yeah…hey. You know like hello how was your day? Is there dinner?”

Clark glanced at the counter and started moving stuff around looking for food. It took him a minute to sense the eyes on his back. He turned and gulped. The look she was giving him could sear flesh. He was just glad she didn’t have heat vision or he was sure he’d be a pile of ash right now.

He could see her jaw clenching as she spoke through gritted teeth.

“Is there dinner? Are you kidding me? Where the hell have you been all day Clark? I called you three times! I really could have used your help with things here.”

He frowned.

“Where does it look like I was? We’ve been out of town for close to a week now; I was out taking care of the city. Same thing I do every day. I was playing catch up so it took longer than normal. I didn’t hear my phone ring.”

“Did you even check? I mean jeez Clark you can’t just take off and not check in we’ve been over this. And I told you that the Justice League was in town looking over things.”

Clark rolled his eyes before pulling open the fridge.

“You know I hate you working with Oliver’s team Chlo. He’s reckless and you’ve got enough on your plate with the Planet and now Evan.”

We.”

He pulled out the leftovers from dinner, pushed the fridge closed and spun around.

“Huh?”

We have enough on our plates. Did you forget that Evan is both of our responsibility or were you planning on running out after the first week?”

Clark glared at her. How could she think that? They’ve been waiting for this for the last four years. Did she think he had changed his mind? That he didn’t want to do this anymore? Or maybe she was the one who was having second thoughts.

She’d always been more outgoing then him, getting into trouble and running all over the place for stories and what not. Maybe she had decided that the family life wasn’t the life for her.

“Of course not. How could you even think that? Are you sure you’re not the one looking for a way out?”

If it was possible her glare intensified and she threw her hands up in the air.

“I’ve spent the last two days attempting to convince Perry to let us work from here for the next two months. I’ve been unpacking, taking care of Evan and running back and forth between his school, the grocery store and the mansion helping Lana with wedding plans. I’ve barely had a second to myself to open my laptop and finish up my article that’s due in,” she glanced down at her watch and then back up at him.

“Three hours and you think I want out of this? You know Clark it was one thing when you took off for hours on end when it was just us to save people. No one understands that more than I do, but Evan is six. You missed our orientation at his school today and he was upset. Then you weren’t here for dinner…he thinks something is wrong and it’s his fault.”

“Chloe…”

She raised a hand and stopped him from speaking.

“Don’t. I’m tired and I have an article to finish. I’m sure you can handle things down here yourself. Goodnight Clark.”

And with that she turned on her heel and made her way up the stairs. Clark sighed and glanced around the kitchen at the many boxes littering almost every surface. He grabbed a few off the floor and started unpacking the rest of the stuff.

He was angry. The only problem was he wasn’t sure if it was at her or himself. He was doing the best he could. It’s not like he could tell crime when and when not to happen. Chloe had always understood that. He stopped what he was doing and rested his palms against the counter.

They had just graduated college and Clark had been looking forward to having his own life with Chloe now and it seemed that even since they signed those papers it’s been nothing but one problem after the next.

He was already disappointing Chloe and Evan and he’d barely been a father for a week. What if he couldn’t hack it? He rubbed a hand over his face and sped around the kitchen putting everything away.

A minute or so later he changed out of his superman suit, grabbed a spare blanket and pillow and headed for the couch. He doubted Chloe wanted him up there tonight. Clark plopped down on the old couch and stared at the ceiling. Things were changing, getting more complicated he just had to hope tomorrow was a better day.




~*~*~*~*~


Lana poured more coffee into Chloe’s cup and smiled at her tired looking friend. Chloe added some sugar and let out a small moan as the first taste of warm liquid hit her tongue. The brunette chuckled.

“I swear Chlo, every time you take a sip of coffee I feel like you’re having some kind of out of body experience.”

She gave Lana an amused look.

“Well this is Smallville, you never know.”

They were laughing as Lex walked into the study adjusting his tie. He gave Chloe a startled look, but was smiling seconds later as he made his way toward the couches.

“Good morning ladies,” he leaned down placing a chaste kiss on Lana’s lips before grabbing some coffee for himself and continuing to speak, “to what to we owe this early morning pleasure?”

Chloe shrugged.

“I told Lana I’d come by after I dropped Evan off at school before heading to Metropolis to turn in my article.”

Lana nodded.

“I wanted to go over a few more wedding details. That’s the only bad thing about having the wedding so early. All this planning needs to be condensed in the next week or two.”

He gave her a serious look and nodded as she raised an eyebrow.

“Are you sure you don’t want to just wait a little longer? Take our time to plan?”

Chloe noted the hopeful tone of Lana’s voice and she frowned slightly. Lex just smirked and placed another kiss against her lips before straightening and grabbing his suit jacket that was lying over the back of the couch.

“Not a chance. I can’t wait for you to become Mrs. Luthor. I’ve got to head out, but good luck with the plans ladies and if you need anything Lana just call.”

She nodded and he disappeared the same way he’d come. Lana bit her lip and glanced back at Chloe who was watching her closely.

“What?”

Chloe hesitated before speaking quickly.

“Is everything okay Lana? I mean…you’re not having second thoughts are you?”

She let out a heavy breath and swallowed hard.

“No, I mean I don’t think so…I just…everything is moving so fast you know? I love Lex, more than I’ve ever loved anyone, but I’m twenty-two. I don’t know if marriage is the right thing. We’re so happy…I just don’t want to ruin that.”

“And you think marriage will? Ruin it mean.”

She shrugged.

“I don’t know. Look at how his other marriage turned out and granted I’m not trying to kill him, but still. I’ve been thinking these past few days and well…I’m scared.”

Chloe reached out and placed her hand over Lana’s as she spoke.

“That’s understandable, but if being scared is the only reason you’re reconsidering…don’t let that stop you. Take it from someone who knows. Fear only gets in the way of happiness.”

Lana smiled and pulled Chloe into a tight hug. The blonde grinned and rubbed her friends back.

“You don’t know how much I needed to hear that. That’s Chlo.”

“What are friends for?”

They pulled apart and Lana shifted some of the papers in front of her around before looking up at Chloe with a raised eyebrow.

“So…how are things at the farmhouse? Is everything okay there? Do you guys need anything?”

Chloe looked down at her coffee and sighed.

“Things are…tense.”

Her brow furrowed in concern as Chloe continued speaking.

“I knew when we decided to do this that it wasn’t going to be easy. I mean being a parent never is right? I just…I thought Clark would be around more and I understand that Metropolis has to come first. Honest I get it, but how are we supposed to be a family if he’s not around?”

Lana nodded and before she could say anything Chloe spoke again.

“I mean I love Evan and I’m so happy he’s with us now, but I need time for myself too. I was up until three this morning finishing up an article and then I was the one who had to drop off Evan at school because Clark had to get back to the Planet early for some meeting. Like he’s the only one? I just ugh…”

Lana gave her a sympathetic look and patted her arm.

“I wish there was something I could do to help…want me to see if Lex will talk to Clark?”

Chloe shook her head.

“No, I appreciate it, but this is something we need to work out on our own. I guess it’s time we realize we aren’t the only ones in this relationship anymore. We’ve got a family now…and that’s gotta come first I guess.”

Chloe let out another sigh and looked at her watch.

“I should get going. It takes a while to get to Metropolis and I need to be back in time to pick up Evan.”

“Okay well give me a call later if you need anything.”

“Will do.”

Lana walked with her to the door and gave her another hug before the blonde disappeared down the hallway. Lana sighed, it looked like parenthood wasn’t what either of them had expected, but if anyone could work through it, it was Clark and Chloe.




~*~*~*~*~


Jonathan watched his son devour two sandwiches and a bag of chips before he leaned back and rubbed his stomach slightly a smile on his face.

“That was great Mom thanks.”

“Anytime sweetheart.”

Martha glanced at Jonathan with a raised eyebrow and he shrugged. It wasn’t unusual for Clark to stop by for dinner with Chloe. But normally he spent his lunch hour with Chloe and with them settling into Lana’s old house for the next couple of months and Evan; she just assumed they’d be too busy for him to stop by.

Unless Clark was intentionally avoiding his house in which case something must be going on that they didn’t know about. Maratha sat in the stool next to her son and cleared her throat to get his attention. He looked over and she spoke softly.

“Not that we’re not happy to have you here, because it’s always nice to see you, we were just wondering if everything was okay.”

Clark sighed and the smile left his face.

“Yea…I mean it’s fine I just…Chloe and I had a fight last night and I’m not really sure what to do about it.”

Jonathan came over and patted his sons back as he stood on the other side of the counter.

“About what?”

“Well we’ve been away from Metropolis for close to a week now. So when I went back yesterday there was a lot that needed to be taken care of. I was gone most of the day and she was angry. I was ready to move back here and with The Planet and the Superman stuff it’s hard juggling everything. I mean I thought of all people she would understand that, but I guess I was wrong.”

A sour expression crossed his face and his parents shared a look before Martha spoke.

“That’s understandable, but Clark, you need to look at it from Chloe’s perspective also. She’s essentially dealing with the same things. Relocating wasn’t a part of either of your plans. And Chloe has been working at the Daily Planet for longer then you. Imagine being on the go all the time and then having to put together a home and take care of a child by yourself.”

A wave of guilt slammed into him at his mother’s words. He knew she was right. For the past two days Chloe had basically been taking care of everything. Sure he had sped their stuff from Metropolis to Smallville, but she was left to unpack it and make the arrangements for Evans school. He sighed.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. It’s just harder than I expected you know? We knew it wouldn’t be easy, but I didn’t realize so much would change.”

They nodded and his Dad spoke.

“Well son, welcome to being an adult. If I were you I’d head back home and work things out with Chloe. Don’t let things fester. Never go to bed angry Clark. Something your Grandfather taught me.”

He smiled at his parents and stood giving each of them a hug.

“Thanks guys. I should get going, but we’re still on for this weekend right? Evan’s excited to see you guys.”

Martha nodded.

“Of course and we are too.”

Clark grinned before speeding back to Metropolis. His parents were right. He and Chloe had been waiting for this life for four years. It was time to grow up.




~*~*~*~*~


Chloe gripped Evan’s backpack in her hands as she pushed the key into the door unlocking it. The six year old bounced on the balls of his feet behind her as he spoke in a fast voice.

“Wasn’t that sooo cool today Mom? Those bank robbers didn’t know what hit them when Superman got there! And then he even stopped and looked at you! How awesome is that? Do you know him? I know you write a lot about him in the newspaper.”

Chloe sighed as she shoved the door open with her hip. Evan slammed it shut behind them and then followed her down the hallway towards the kitchen as she spoke.

“I sort of know him and today wasn’t as interesting as say maybe dangerous, but you’re right it’s a good thing Superman was there. Or else--”

Her voice trailed off as she stepped into the kitchen. The kitchen was spotless; everything in its place, the table set, a roast, vegetables, and mashed potatoes sitting in the center of it. Clark stood to the side, smile on his face as Evan ran towards him.

“Dad! Oh my god you’re never gonna believe what happened today!”

He lifted him in his arms, amusement dancing on his face.

“Whoa, hang on their buddy. How was school today?”

“Good.”

“Sorry I missed orientation yesterday bud; I had an important meeting at work.”

“It’s okay. You’ll be there for my game this Friday thought right?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world. Now why don’t you go get cleaned up and then you can tell me all about what happened today.”

Evan nodded and ran off toward the bathroom. Clark turned towards Chloe and gave her a lopsided grin.

“Hey.”

She gave him a tired smile.

“Hey.”

It was quiet for a minute before Clark closed the distance between them and pulled her hesitantly into his arms. She let out a deep breath and relaxed against him.

“I’m so sorry Chlo…I know I’ve been all over the place lately, but I’m here for you and Evan.”

She nodded.

“I know. I’m sorry I got so angry. I’m just not used to having so much depend on me you know? Being trapped in the house all day not being able to run around chasing a story…it’s weird and confining and I guess I’m having trouble managing everything.”

“Same here. I think we just need to sit down and work out some kinda schedule. Superman and Metropolis are important, but you’re right family needs to come first. So we can work out patrol times and if you drop Evan off I can pick him up or vice versa. We’ll make this work.”

She gave him a hopeful look and spoke softly.

“You promise?”

“Absolutely.”

She grinned and leaned up as he cupped her cheek and captured her lips with his. Things weren’t perfect and they still had a ton of kinks to work out, but Chloe knew if anyone could do it they could.

Moving in to Lana’s old place, letting the school year run out before heading back to Metropolis, it was just a quick fix. But eventually everything would fall into place. Until then they’d do whatever they needed to, to make their family work.

1 comment:

  1. C.

    Awww poor Chloe and Clark parenthood isn't an easy task but is sure worth it, Awesome chapter,can't wait for more.

    A.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback is always appreciated! :)